• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Will Not Host an E3 Conference or Appear at E3 2019

Kagero

Well that's surprising... Even with the weak show this year, I find it weird if this is the case.
AND WHERE ELSE WILL I ASK AND MOAN ABOUT A BLOODBORNE 2 ANNOUNCEMENT?
It would be funny if they just announced bloodborne 2 on social media during E3 week and win E3 without spending a single dime on E3.

Kagero

Contrary to forum belief, gaming doesn't live and die by Sony. Sorry to burst the bubble.
People tune in to see a slug fest between MS and Sony. Nintendo is on an island of their own so they don’t count in my opinion. E3 without Sony is to many, the death of E3. For me, it will be a less compelling show. I’ll probably not take a day off work next year lol.

Contrary to forum belief it does. Constantly best selling consoles in the US.

Nintendo’s one featured game an e3 won’t mean shit, it’s done, over.
Nah. Just gives MS a hell of a lot of focused PR. Consumers don't care about a business bottom line. Only what shiny new things they can gawk at on YouTube and twitch.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Sony did great this gen but alot of it can be attributed to Microsoft stumbling in the beginning. That won't happen again. And I can guarantee theyve lost the power war.

With a precise and clear message, quality software (seven new studios so far..) great services and fair price, Sony will undoubtedly do well. Let's face it, they've earned it with this gen. But it won't be NEARLY as easy as it was before. In fact, the only thing they really had that the competition didn't, is great software on a seemingly consistent basis. All else was pretty mediocre.

Microsoft will indeed come out strong. I think they are also attempting to distance themselves from Microsoft this E3 as they really positioning themselves to win the battle of the living room. You'd seriously have to be blind not to see it with all the moves they've been making, and still are.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I really miss the team that launched the PS4. The current team running the show imo is awful. They inherited a gold mind and slowly pissing it away. I rather have Sony at E3 than some worthless marketing deal on a multiplatform game. Just another of many mistakes since the launch team left.

ANIMAL1975

Well if the PS5 rumors are true, the unannounced games that Sony studios may be working on, have to be for the new hardware, so... they really can't show the goods before announcing the thing.

Iced Arcade

I'd say it's multiple reasons.
- PS4 is the market leader and that isn't going to change regardless of anything.
- Ever game Sony has coming out has been shown at the last 3 E3's (last year was mostly previously shown games)
- ride the waves on cruise control, announce the PS5 E3 2020, Launch 2021

Let's say the did have a E3 without new hardware what would the announce to be honest?

The world gaming market is much bigger than E3. People go everyday to buy a new Playstation because it's considered the 'default' option now. E3 or no E3. That's why Microsoft is desperate to attend any and all conferences! They need to put the word out there that XBox even exists.

Helios

E3 without Sony is to many, the death of E3.
You realize that there are games beyond sony's exclusive movies, right?
Besides, I'd rather watch Devolver spray blood for 30 min into the camera than watch another Sony borefest coupled with some weird segment to pad out the show like the flute man.

Kdad

I think this is an obvious sign now that Sony are leaving the game industry.

SONY will walk on stage at the the Spring 2019 Apple Special Event as their blockbuster 'But there's one more thing". '....SIE bought by Apple.

/s

Last edited:

Kagero

You realize that there are games beyond sony's exclusive movies, right?
Besides, I'd rather watch Devolver spray blood for 30 min into the camera than watch another Sony borefest coupled with some weird segment to pad out the show like the flute man.
I said," To many".

Gavon West

I'd say it's multiple reasons.
- PS4 is the market leader and that isn't going to change regardless of anything.
- Ever game Sony has coming out has been shown at the last 3 E3's (last year was mostly previously shown games)
- ride the waves on cruise control, announce the PS5 E3 2020, Launch 2021
Legit. My reasons why Sony are taking a back seat to E3 next year.

* Scarlett: It will be announced in some form or fashion and there's a very good chance it will be more powerful than the PS5. Doubtful that MS will announce specs, but you can be sure, their going to toss out impressive numbers. Sony won't risk that with their new hardware.

* There will be at least two new Ip's from two of the new studios Microsoft currently acquired. Two are assuredly Ninja Theory and probably Obisdian. Two heavy hitters.

* Halo Infinite will more than likely make some kind of appearance. This includes Gears 5. Both names carry enormous weight still. Especially when you consider both are taking new directions that gamers are talking about. Haters be damned.

* There will probably be at least two to three more acquisitions announced to join the MS family.

*Gamepass will most definitely get a few more 3rd party games to join the ranks in conjunction with more BC titles. And Halo Infinite and Gears 5 will be day one on Gamepass.

* More 3rd party games coming to Xbox.

*XCloud is supposed to make an announcement at this coming E3.

* Sony has games slated for next year for sure. But people have seen or heard about them all ready. PS5 games arent ready to show yet, so those will still be in the oven.

Don't misunderstand - not one of these are said to make Sony take a back seat to E3 in-and-of themselves. But if you have a Microsoft presser containing all of it, that's another scenario altogether and could hurt Sony's enormous momentum moving onward to next gen.

Like I stated before, Sony won't have the benefit of Microsoft stumbling over its message or talking about TV, TV, TV or DRM -- none of that. Like it or not, Microsoft is poised to make a HUGE splash at this coming E3. In my humble opinion, Sony doesnt want to approach the show with only games we know about, and PS5 games wont be ready to present yet. And I dont think PS5 is quite ready to be shown just yet.

With everything I've just mentioned, I think Sony is willing to forfeit E3 2019 and would rather show what they have during another event they have much more control over, and dont have to share the lime light. Just in case the competition is full on ready. And frankly, it looks like they are.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Bottom line is no way do Sony just sit out 2019 in the 25th anniversary year. They will do something else and have said as much. If they truly have no new games for PS4 and do do their own event, what do you think they would have left to announce/show?

NahaNago

* Scarlett: It will be announced in some form or fashion and there's a very good chance it will be more powerful than the PS5. Sony won't risk that with their new hardware. Don't they have that discless version coming out instead

* There will be at least two new Ip's from two of the new studios Microsoft currently acquired. Two are assuredly Ninja Theory and probably Obisdian. Two heavy hitters. Ninja theory just release a game last year so I doubt they have anything close to ready. The same with Obsidian.

* Halo Infinite will more than likely make some kind of appearance. This includes Gears 5. Both names carry enormous weight still. Especially when you consider both are taking new directions that gamers are talking about. Haters be damned. Halo Infinite came out with a wimper in the last trailer and Gears 5 slightly did better.

* There will probably be at least two to three more acquisitions announced to join the MS family. This is doubtful.

*Gamepass will most definitely get a few more 3rd party games to join the ranks in conjunction with more BC titles. Duh

* More 3rd party games coming to Xbox. Double Duh. It's e3.

*XCloud is supposed to make an announcement at this coming E3. After a bit more research. I don't feel e3 would be the best place to talk about it.

* Sony has games slated for next year for sure. But people have seen or heard about them all ready. PS5 games arent ready to show yet, so those will still be in the oven. I agree for the most part but I remember some studios beefing up to bring out games quicker.

Don't misunderstand - not one of these are said to make Sony take a back seat to E3 by themselves. But if you have a Microsoft presser containing all of it, that's another scenario altogether and could hurt Sony's enormous momentum moving onward to next gen.

Like I stated before, Sony won't have the benefit of Microsoft stumbling over its message or talking about TV, TV, TV or DRM -- none of that. Like it or not, Microsoft is poised to make a HUGE splash at this coming E3. In my humble opinion, Sony doesnt want to approach the show with only games we know about, and PS5 games wont be ready to present yet. And I dont think PS5 is quite ready to be shown just yet.

With everything I've just mentioned, I think Sony is willing to forfeit E3 2019 and would rather show what they have during another even they have much more control over, and dont have to share the lime light.

From my guess Sony is just gearing up for the PS5 and having an earlier show pre E3 to announce it like maybe a week or 2 in advance. ps5 release date will probably be early 2020.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Bottom line is no way do Sony just sit out 2019 in the 25th anniversary year. They will do something else and have said as much. If they truly have no new games for PS4 and do do their own event, what do you think they would have left to announce/show?
Yeah. Now that you mention it, they probably want to do a big show for that 25th anniversary. E3 would take away from that.

THE:MILKMAN

Yeah. Now that you mention it, they probably want to do a big show for that 25th anniversary. E3 would take away from that.

It isn't even probably, they said as much in their not doing E3 statement:

PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. It did note, however, that it will be exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can't wait to share our plans

So they have plans to delight us in innovative and different ways in 2019 and can't wait to share those with us.

vpance

Pretty sure Sony didn't want to release this news and only had to because of the leak.

Only question is, is their own event before or after E3? If it's before, then I don't see why they couldn't also attend E3 even if it was just to repeat released info. There'd be no reason to be so sure on not going this early.

I think they really want to release Nov 2019 but are scrambling to put things together software/hardware wise and have no time to put together an event with good demos.

If it's between launching in Nov 2019 and Mar 2020, I'd say the odds are 20% and 80% right now.

PS4 has healthy momentum. They have no real competition. Switch is a different/complementary market segment and Microsoft is floundering with the Xbox. If Sony announces a PS5, they will be crippling PS4 sales as many would be-ps4 buyers will hold out for the shiny new thing. PS4-Pro is perfectly adequate for 4k tv owners with this generation of games, 30fps notwithstanding, but that's unavoidable for now.

When ahead, don't rock the boat. Sony should sit back, keep those exclusives coming and only react to what Microsoft might do. If Microsoft announces a new console only then should Sony start making noises in that direction. history has shown; being first is NOT an advantage in this market.

Last edited:

Gavon West

From my guess Sony is just gearing up for the PS5 and having an earlier show pre E3 to announce it like maybe a week or 2 in advance. ps5 release date will probably be early 2020.
I'm 99% certain Sony are gearing up for PS5. But there's still two more years left to go. Which, to me, says even moreso that they dont have new games to show. Just the ones we know about that are coming btw 2019 and 2020 for Ps4. Perhaps they blew their load too early.

Ninja Theory have been working on another title for almost five years now. From what I've read, they have something just about ready/ Obsidian has a Space RPG being published by Take Two. Not sure if Microsoft bought out the publishing deal with Take Two along with Obisidian acquisition, but it's possible. Either way It's nearly done as well. For sure, both of those games will be announced at E3 2019.

Microsoft are still acquiring studios.

Clearly, you didnt read my post. I said, none of the aforementioned would be significant in-and-of itself, but as a whole, it could potentially hurt Sony's momentum going forward. Keep in mind, Sony wont be at the E3 presser.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
PS4 has healthy momentum. They have no real competition. Switch is a different/complementary market segment and Microsoft is floundering with the Xbox. If Sony announces a PS5, they will be crippling PS4 sales as many would be-ps4 buyers will hold out for the shiny new thing.
It didn't stop PS2 sales momentum though with the announcement of PS3.

That's a prudent example actually. It didn't help the PS3 itself and it certainly took some momentum away from the PS2.

Sony should have delayed PS3 until 2007 and released a more balanced system. Their Ps2 sales were still great at that time.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
PS3 was the biggest Playstation disaster ever. Single handily wipe out the PS1+PS2 profit after launching the system. What were they thinking at the E3 conference? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Gavon West

PS4 has healthy momentum. They have no real competition. Switch is a different/complementary market segment and Microsoft is floundering with the Xbox. If Sony announces a PS5, they will be crippling PS4 sales as many would be-ps4 buyers will hold out for the shiny new thing. PS4-Pro is perfectly adequate for 4k tv owners with this generation of games, 30fps notwithstanding, but that's unavoidable for now.

When ahead, don't rock the boat. Sony should sit back, keep those exclusives coming and only react to what Microsoft might do. If Microsoft announces a new console only then should Sony start making noises in that direction. history has shown; being first is NOT an advantage in this market.
Stopped at, "Microsoft/Xbox is floundering.." That's not even REMOTELY true.

Last edited:
Stopped at, "Microsoft/Xbox is floundering.." That's not even REMOTELY true.

It is. Its exclusive ecosystem is dead, to the point that they had to bring cross play to PC to preserve momentum from xbox to their windows store. And the entire division is still billions in the hole despite turning profits recently, they will never crawl out of that xbox/xbox360/early xbox one hole. In about 12 months Switch will outsell the lifetime sales of xbone.

I like the xboner, I have it, game pass is great. But it was dead on arrival. Microsofts entire console experiment starting in 2001 has been an unmitigated financial disaster. In terms of features and capabilities it bought to console gaming, their contribution is great. but it was a self-less contribution not benefiting microsoft in any way. Microsoft is the Nikola Tesla of this story. Sony is Edison.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
It is. Its exclusive ecosystem is dead, to the point that they had to bring cross play to PC to preserve momentum from xbox to their windows store. And the entire division is still billions in the hole despite turning profits recently, they will never crawl out of that xbox/xbox360/early xbox one hole. In about 12 months Switch will outsell the lifetime sales of xbone.

I like the xboner, I have it, game pass is great. But it was dead on arrival. Microsofts entire console experiment starting in 2001 has been an unmitigated financial disaster. In terms of features and capabilities it bought to console gaming, their contribution is great. but it was a self-less contribution not benefiting microsoft in any way. Microsoft is the Nikola Tesla of this story. Sony is Edison.

I could go into depth with a nice rebuttal, but it would basically boil down to this.

You're wrong. On several counts.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

* Scarlett: It will be announced in some form or fashion and there's a very good chance it will be more powerful than the PS5. Doubtful that MS will announce specs, but you can be sure, their going to toss out impressive numbers. Sony won't risk that with their new hardware.

* There will be at least two new Ip's from two of the new studios Microsoft currently acquired. Two are assuredly Ninja Theory and probably Obisdian. Two heavy hitters.

* Halo Infinite will more than likely make some kind of appearance. This includes Gears 5. Both names carry enormous weight still. Especially when you consider both are taking new directions that gamers are talking about. Haters be damned.

* There will probably be at least two to three more acquisitions announced to join the MS family.

*Gamepass will most definitely get a few more 3rd party games to join the ranks in conjunction with more BC titles. And Halo Infinite and Gears 5 will be day one on Gamepass.

* More 3rd party games coming to Xbox.

*XCloud is supposed to make an announcement at this coming E3.

* Sony has games slated for next year for sure. But people have seen or heard about them all ready. PS5 games arent ready to show yet, so those will still be in the oven.

Don't misunderstand - not one of these are said to make Sony take a back seat to E3 in-and-of themselves. But if you have a Microsoft presser containing all of it, that's another scenario altogether and could hurt Sony's enormous momentum moving onward to next gen.

With everything I've just mentioned, I think Sony is willing to forfeit E3 2019 and would rather show what they have during another event they have much more control over, and dont have to share the lime light. Just in case the competition is full on ready. And frankly, it looks like they are.

If they're planning to release the consoles at he same time, then it's likely going to be similar in specs, and if that's the case, announcing PS5 at the end of 2019.

If Last of Us and Death Stranding are going to be released in 2019, and that will give something to take some of the momentum away, especially if they announce the release date after E3.

People are assuming they really don't have anything to show because they're not at E3, and this is likely part of their strategy to reveal the PS5. Sony still has the marketing rights to Final Fantasy 7: Remake (likely timed exclusive based on their first reveal) and if they have a game such as bloodborne 2, then that's going to be huge for Sony.

Sony has had some the most biggest exclusives this generation and if they can sell God of War, Last of Us II, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn playing at 60fps, that again will be huge. I think people are assuming MS has a lot to show as far as exclusives and it's likely that they won't have much. We're probably going to see Battletoads, Gears 5 gameplay and maybe a new game.

It's possible that announcing a new Xbox system in 2019 will not sit well with fans after the Xbox One X being releases shortly before.

If Sony has plans to release both The Last of Us and Death Stranding in 2019, then they're going to be in great shape.

Last edited:
I could go into depth with a nice rebuttal, but it would basically boil down to this.

You're wrong. On several counts.

Simply put, Microsoft wanted to carve out a substantial market share in the console space and in turn enjoy growing revenue share from that segment, since the launch of the xbox in 2001. Xbox 360 managed to do that at grave financial cost, but much of that market momentum was lost with the xbox one. How you define success in a business/corporate context is with market share and revenue stemming from that market share. The xbox brand has failed to grow since 2012 and has failed to recoup accumulated costs. Sony has recovered its ps3/Vita generation financial and market losses with the PS4 and Nintendo has basically never run its console division at a loss, although it has lost market share.

Happy thoughts and consumer/technology achievements don't go over well at investor board meetings. They want growth in some form.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I love these kind of posts, is there any actual proof to back up any of this?

Yes, this is all based on public figures. These are all public corporations. Feel free to look up microsofts cumulative xbox division losses and console market share fluctuations since 2001.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Yes, this is all based on public figures. These are all public corporations. Feel free to look up microsofts cumulative xbox division losses and console market share fluctuations since 2001.
And I'm sure you know that Microsoft reported 10billion dollar revenue earlier this year in just the Xbox gaming division alone, right?

Nor would they be doubling down on studio and developer talent acquisitions in record numbers. Nor would Phil have a seat at the big box table.

I could grab a plethora of information to prove you wrong, but I'm just not in the mood. I can tell you this; you're speaking of an Xbox sector thats over a decade old - if not more. That gaming division ha been gone for some time.

Simply put, Microsoft wanted to carve out a substantial market share in the console space and in turn enjoy growing revenue share from that segment, since the launch of the xbox in 2001. Xbox 360 managed to do that at grave financial cost, but much of that market momentum was lost with the xbox one. How you define success in a business/corporate context is with market share and revenue stemming from that market share. The xbox brand has failed to grow since 2012 and has failed to recoup accumulated costs. Sony has recovered its ps3/Vita generation financial and market losses with the PS4 and Nintendo has basically never run its console division at a loss, although it has lost market share.

Happy thoughts and consumer/technology achievements don't go over well at investor board meetings. They want growth in some form.

Sony is a shell of its former self so don't kid yourself thinking 80 million sold is anything like the glory days of the PS2. They have huge overhead of their studios. The profit margins of a game like Gran Turismo back in those days to today is so much different. Team size, marketing. Those costs to profits margins are nothing alike.

Where the profits are is in things like Playstation Plus. Microsoft seen that years ago. They also see player engagement as the true indicator of success and profits. That's why they will be pushing hard on Game Pass and their new streaming service.

This is where Sony is kind of in a bind. Their huge overhead costs and traditional way of thinking is at a crossroads. They think their games will devalue the hardware if they put the new titles on Now. Microsoft in the other hand is all about services and Windows. They don't care if you are on PC or Xbox and they will be putting these services on as many devices as possible.

I look at Fortnite and Minecraft and then I look at Spiderman and Horizon. One will reach maybe 10 million while the others can reach in the hundreds of millions. That's where the profits are. They are no longer just in hardware.

Microsoft has spent billions into its online services and Azure cloud technology. Sony bought Onlive for a few hundred million and are just sitting on it. They don't have the same capital to compete in this area. Google, Amazon and Apple know where the real money is. Microsoft is right there with them. Tell me again the value of Sony compared to Microsoft? With the CEO telling everyone gaming and Xbox are important that tells me they are full steam ahead and looking to expand. Sony is no longer their main competitor. They have bigger fish to fry. So watch out for those other 3 companies I mentioned.

Last edited:
Why is releasing a console in 2020 a good enough excuse for skipping E3?
This is unprecedented; when has a console maker ever skipped an E3 before releasing a console?

Pallas

Gold Member
Why all the doom and gloom about E3 because Sony plans to skip the next one? Sony is skipping it because they literally have nothing new to show, and in recent memory Microsoft has been the podium where majority third party publishers like to display their games that aren’t solely exclusive to the PS4. Plus big publishers still use E3 to display their games, Beth,EA,Ubi,etc.

You can beat your chest to E3’s demise/decline if Sony makes it a continued practice of skipping it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This is unprecedented; when has a console maker ever skipped an E3 before releasing a console?

They're leading and they have a strong lineup for the rest of the generation. The likely hood of things shifting is very small, so they can hold on to their cards until they're ready to make a strong marketing push. If their big games are coming out this year and they have a big marketing push for the PS5, then this will be a good move.

I think people give E3 too much credit. The broader consumer base is not clued into the happenings of expositions. Only enthusiasts partake.

Foxbat

Banned

Simply put, MS has carved out a decent marketshare. As far as consoles go, they make more money than Nintendo, but less than Sony.

Xbox is profitable these days. That's all there is to it. It's not that complicated. You can spout stuff about 2001, or 2012, or whatever. It doesn't matter. Xbox is a money making division for MS. They tell their investors this every quarter.

If Xbox is the sinking ship you think it is, they wouldn't be spending millions on developers. They wouldn't be spending billions for Mojang. They wouldn't have bothered to release the X. They wouldn't have aquired tech companies like simplygon, and mixer. They wouldn't bother with designing the elite/adaptive controller. They wouldn't be doing gamepass. They wouldn't have bothered to support and update the UI so far into this gen. They wouldn't waste resources on doing bc. I could literally go on and on.

MS is damn near a trillion dollar company. All these millions and billions is peanuts to them in the larger scheme of things anyway. MS probably pays more for rubber bands to keep their cash stacked than Sony makes as an entire company anyway. This whole Xbox is a broke failure is simply not true.

You know what really goes over well at investor board meetings? Being one of the top 3 most profitable company's since the dawn of time.

I think people give E3 too much credit. The broader consumer base is not clued into the happenings of expositions. Only enthusiasts partake.

Now E3 means nothing. Oh boy, people just more proof people will support whatever they do.

Twitch had 2.9 million concurrent viewers. That's just Twitch. YouTube likely a lot more.

Sony does not want to share what they have coming. It's too early for PS5 announcements. They are also repeating a lot of the same content, that's what happens when you show games too early. They are at an impasse and they know they can coast the rest of the generation with no new announcements.

The death nail to all of this is likely their poor E3 this year. Terribly paced and oddly presented. I think this is why Nintendo pulled out too, the audience just didn't serve them well. Directs give them the ability to control the message better.

Shawn Layden needs to go. They should bring somebody with more charisma. Microsoft has had some shitty shows too but the last couple have actually been very good. I expect next year's to improve on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom