• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation4 FW 1.5 details

DieH@rd

Banned
Vita related question. Don't know if this has been answered yet.

Since the Vita can play most PS4 titles over Remote Play, shouldn't it be possible to use the Vita as a controller on the PS4?

Yes you can control PS4 with Vita. When you turn on Remote Play, both HDTV and Vita will show same content [this was not the case with PS3, which did not have this mirroring active]. Then, just stop looking at the Vita, and there you go, you have a controller! :D In addition to games, you have controll over OS, all its services, you can turn console on or off, and other stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmlgVTMKgM

Possibly, some streaming content[netflix?] that has DRM and dvd/blurays will not be supported.

Raist

Banned
I'm not sure if Sony sent out a firmware file to developers in time. I think games were supposed to go gold on the 15th.

Devs send their gold code to Sony for production. They don't just go and press the discs themselves. First because they don't have the infrastructure, second for security reasons.

Spinluck

I just watched a Youtube video where a guy claims to have some,"credible sources" that told him that this patch was also disabling DRM on PS4.

Shu then called him stupid (or his video stupid) on Twitter, lol.

wizzbang

Banned
i love how they just nonchalantly confirm they can do much of the voice shit the competition does, but just as an 'aside.'

"oh yeah we can do that too. if they want too. *shrug*. Up to you dudes, it's there."

Do we have any confirmation on the pickup quality / quantity of microphones on the new camera?
The old camera has a zoomable lens, big fucking microphone block and it's tiltalbe and it's still a piece of shit. FOV is too high, it can't hear a fucking thing :/

DBT85

I just watched a Youtube video where a guy claims to have some,"credible sources" that told him that this patch was also disabling DRM on PS4.

The entire video is bullshit and has been discussed to death.

Eggbok

Pretty sure Andrew House confirmed Sony never had intentions to have DRM.

Vashetti

Banned

lol, such bullshit

It would get out as soon as people didn't connect their console to the internet and update.

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Random question - but is there a thread of PSN tags of people by region who are getting ps4 on launch? I'd just like to add some people who are in the UK and are playing PS4 on launch! Search didn't turn anything up.

qko

Yes you can control PS4 with Vita. When you turn on Remote Play, both HDTV and Vita will show same content [this was not the case with PS3, which did not have this mirroring active]. Then, just stop looking at the Vita, and there you go, you have a controller! :D In addition to games, you have controll over OS, all its services, you can turn console on or off, and other stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmlgVTMKgM

Possibly, some streaming content[netflix?] that has DRM and dvd/blurays will not be supported.

Pretty bad lag if you ask me.

ElFly

It's cool they have this patch ready two weeks ahead of time; you'd think they would be working until the last minute.

Shahed

Not sure where the best place to ask this is, so I'll just put it here.

When using Remote Play, what happens if you press the PS Button? Does it minimise the window like normal on Vita, or emulate pressing the PS button on PS3/4?

Dragon

Banned
Not sure where the best place to ask this is, so I'll just put it here.

When using Remote Play, what happens if you press the PS Button? Does it minimise the window like normal on Vita, or emulate pressing the PS4 button on PS3/4?

Good question. I'm not sure if Sony will allow you to put Remote Play in the background on the Vita. How does it work with remote play between PS3 -> Vita?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Good question. I'm not sure if Sony will allow you to put Remote Play in the background on the Vita. How does it work with remote play between PS3 -> Vita?

Terribly, so I don't think this is a valid comparison. The PS4/Vita were seemingly built from the ground up to play nice with each other. I imagine that you would be able to put remote play in the background on Vita, but that wouldn't put your PS4 in a low power state like suspend/resume would function if there on PS4.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Are you serious?
Shhhhhh it's bait. Just ignore those post. Getting a response is the opposite of what you want.

Nevermind the fact that Remote Play can and will give you lower input lag times than a lot of TV's. Like the WiiU but to a lesser extent.

Background music player
Users can enjoy gameplay while listening to music in the background with Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service. Users can also voice chat with friends while listening to music. Learn more about Music Unlimited here.

I apologize if my following post is eye-rollingly ignorant, but I've been wondering:

Ok- so the PS4 can't play music CDs, but would it still have the ability to pull songs from CDs as MP3 files? I guess I could just transfer MP3 files from the computer to the PS4 if not.

Also, has anyone talked about playing MP3 files for background music or does the background music have to come from the Music Unlimited service?
I just want to make sure I can play the RR4 OST while I play Driveclub eventually.

Guess we'll find out in 18 days. :p

Handful of other little handy features:
- You can adjust the safe zone in the PS4 OS.
- Notifications. You can choose from lots of different toggles such as Friends on/off, Downloads complete on/off and so on. Lots of options here.
- OS Music on/off (although its quite relaxing :) )
- Share button has a few options to how you do things. It has three functions; Take screenshot, bring up menu, start recording. You can change these so that a single press will take a shot and holding button will bring up menu, whilst 'double-tap' starts recording OR you can have Hold button to take screenshot, and tap to bring up menu etc. Having a single press to take a shot works nicely.

- Notifications. You can choose from lots of different toggles such as Friends on/off, Downloads complete on/off and so on. Lots of options here.
- Share button has a few options to how you do things. It has three functions; Take screenshot, bring up menu, start recording. You can change these so that a single press will take a shot and holding button will bring up menu, whilst 'double-tap' starts recording OR you can have Hold button to take screenshot, and tap to bring up menu etc. Having a single press to take a shot works nicely.

Yes! Thats exactly how I was hoping it would work.

Lionheart

OK, cool thanks for the details. What do you mean by 'safe zone' though?

Man...can a nig get some custom Wallpapers Sony!! And a friggin digital avatar!!!

How hard is it to copy the best part of Wii's OS??

Plz Sony!

OK, cool thanks for the details. What do you mean by 'safe zone' though?

You might have seen the option at the start of some PS3 titles. You can adjust the "size" of the screen, so you can take it right to the edge of your panel. This is now in the OS so every game will match it.

gruenel

Shhhhhh it's bait. Just ignore those post. Getting a response is the opposite of what you want.

Nevermind the fact that Remote Play can and will give you lower input lag times than a lot of TV's. Like the WiiU but to a lesser extent.

Yeah, the TV they're using in the IGN video looks like a Sony W6 series, lowest input lag TV on the market right now. So for most people the latency will be even better (than almost zero?), comparatively.

Not for me though, I just got a shiny new KDL-50W656A in preparation for next-gen :) Love it.

gruenel

That safe zone stuff is great, was annoying to set it in every game. Especially because if you have an HDTV, you can always use the whole picture anyway unless you have Overscan, which you really shouldn't.

Also great info about the share button, thanks!

It will play games in 1080p. How is it a shit version of their console?

I thought it was going to be like PC hibernation, a fully powered off state?
Hibernation is not the same as standby. Hibernation keeps an image of what you were doing on the harddrive and completely powers down the device. Standby saves image to ram and keeps ram powered but shuts the rest down. S3 standby it's called on the PC I believe.

Fredrik

Why does it matter? All of this is done in the background while you are playing and you won't even know it's happening.
Not that it matter for anyone here but what if you don't have internet where you live?
"Why would you want to live there?"
There are almost basic features listed in the OP as part of the 1.5 update.
I think it's quite awful that none of the three consoles work as intended out of the box. Didn't people even brick their WiiUs when updating in some cases? :/

Guymelef

What?
How does works? how many time?

Raonak

Banned

wow, that's cool- didn't expect them to actually allow that much customisation on a button.

gruenel

Not that it matter for anyone here but what if you don't have internet where you live?
I think it's quite awful that none of the three consoles work as intended out of the box. Didn't people even brick their WiiUs when updating in some cases? :/

If a person doesn't have internet access he still has several options:

- go to some internet cafe/friend/whatever and put the firmware on a USB drive
- just wait until the firmware is on game discs, which shouldn't take long

Yoday

You might have seen the option at the start of some PS3 titles. You can adjust the "size" of the screen, so you can take it right to the edge of your panel. This is now in the OS so every game will match it.
Are there going to be other universal options. I always loved how you could set up options such as inverted look to be a standard on the 360. It is always a pain in the ass when you have to manually invert your look every time you start a new game.

Dragon

Banned

Sony will allow people to download the update to a USB stick.

wow, that's cool- didn't expect them to actually allow that much customisation on a button.

Should've been expected, actually.

This function would've been less-than-ideal in online games if you had to leave your game to choose what the Share button was to capture (video, screenshot, stream)

Makes sense it allows for toggles, so that you don't get distracted when you press it for your sharing purpose.

Top Bottom