• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's Secret Weapon: A Nearly All-automated Factory in Tokyo

JLB

Banned
Really interesting, I read the article on Hacker News today. My understading is that the factory only assembles PS4s as of now right?

yurinka

1 console every 30 seconds means around 1000 in 1 shift. So in 3 shifts without maintenance - maximum 3000 pcs/day.

So, about 1 million per year.

Sony needs 20 factories to replace China manufacturers.
It would be 960 consoles in a 8 hours turn, 2880/day. If we count 20 working days per month, it would be 57600/month. And the year has 12 months, so 691200 consoles/year in that factory.

10 factories like that would make ~7 million PS4s/year, I doubt PS4 will sell more consoles than that at this point of the generation. If you add PS5 and they take the same amount of time probably you'd need another 10 as you mention. If possible, it would be great if these machines can be reprogrammed to switch from PS4 to PS5 since as the generation advances he sales will move from PS4 to PS5, making the total more or less similar.

Maybe some more to include PSVR2 too and in the future PS5 Pro starting at the point where the yearly PS5 sales peak (around 2nd/3rd year).

Last edited:
Top Bottom