• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's Secret Weapon: A Nearly All-automated Factory in Tokyo

stranno

They will fit at least 3 PS5 there.

WGusVPU.png

Last edited:

jakinov

Too bad robots are taking all of the manufacturing jobs that people used to do.
New jobs will be created for people to design, test, create, program, secure, fix, maintain, sell, install and support these robots. Plus new jobs being created in other places too. Not saying it'll be easy for people who only have expertise in manufacturing to transitioning to a new profession but just pointing out that overall so far there shouldn't be a fear of there being less and less jobs for people.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
That's the problem, inconsistency. My PS4 until I got the pro and gave it to a friend (still silent till today) and my PS4 Pro since 2016 are all silent. Only seen one loud PS4 among more than 100 PS4's I've seen first hand!

With those robots we should expect more quality control and happier consumers, I guess.
Sony fan here, have had all the consoles and most of the iterations of each.

My PS4 was loud and my PS4 pro is like a jet engine. So if we are talking anecdotal evidence, then almost every PS4 ever pro and launch is super loud.

I plan to get the ps5 at launch and pray for library compatibility and silence.

I remember people with the launch 360 saying the same thing as you about the rrod. It was a real problem and the PS4 noise is real. Consider yourself lucky.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony fan here, have had all the consoles and most of the iterations of each.

My PS4 was loud and my PS4 pro is like a jet engine. So if we are talking anecdotal evidence, then almost every PS4 ever pro and launch is super loud.

I plan to get the ps5 at launch and pray for library compatibility and silence.

I remember people with the launch 360 saying the same thing as you about the rrod. It was a real problem and the PS4 noise is real. Consider yourself lucky.

I 100% believe all of you, but the versions that we receive around here are more like 99% silent. At least at home there is a 7 years old OG PS4, and my PS4 Pro. But we mostly have AC's in all rooms so temperature is kept around 25C. If interested I can make a video of both of them, mine with TLOU2 and downstairs with like Watch Dogs 2 and close ups to show you all the dust as well :) Never serviced any of them. I think if they have many factories, then we have the lucky production line and they're actually $470 at launch for both OG PS4 and PS4 Pro.

And according to my observation, my sister's OG PS4 sounds insanely loud (the only one I've seen) is actually from the early leaked US market versions 1 month before official release here.

I can't see Sony making different specs for our market here, but probably there is a mofo ruining all PS4's for specific markets. More robots = more quality control, I guess.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
One every 30 seconds... isn’t that like a million in a year? Doesn’t sound like they’ll ever meet demand...

It's a start, China should be worried. We need more competition, it could be costy at first, and you can't abuse humans like subhumans to work at the rate China is now nor have enough people for that matter.

It's always good to buy products from their homeland, as a consumer you feel like your products is taken care of by the main company, and it's true. For me, Nissan Patrol Y61 is nearly unbreakable, and used in stock form here in the army and until today it's 100% made in Japan. That's one example, like once bought some toilet stuff labelled as Milano (Italian), paid more attention to it and it's actually made in China and doesn't have good longevity.

China has high quality products, but I would rather have each to have their own products produced locally, and that even with robots should make some jobs for the locals.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
1 console every 30 seconds means around 1000 in 1 shift. So in 3 shifts without maintenance - maximum 3000 pcs/day.

So, about 1 million per year.

Sony needs 20 factories to replace China manufacturers.
Just over clock it! Variable frequency and so on.

Trimesh

Banned
There is really nothing new about this - Japanese companies have been setting up parallel production flows so they can offer a "Made in Japan" SKU for the domestic market for years, because for some customers it's a very big deal. I guess they ran the numbers and figured that a highly automated factory was cheaper than employing people. It would make zero financial sense to do this anywhere else with lower labor costs.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Japanese robots better than chugoku slaves. Built with the spirit of our pure kokoro according to legendary keikaku. Ken Kutaragi spirit.
You baka gaijin do less understanding.

Kerotan

It would make a lot of sense to have at least 1 of these in the middle East, south America, Central America, North America, Europe and South East Asia along with Japan.

I'll give it to the human assembly lines I've seen; some of those people can assemble shit quicker than I have ever thought possible. Assembling a full knife in <3s with 8 parts is inspiring to watch.

No doubt, but the drive for efficiency in production borders on cruelty. It's far better to let the machines do it.

Top Bottom