• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

limlark

As fun as that 6 seconds of music is to listen to, it's starting to make this whole project feel less like nostalgia and more like denial. I just hope they can fully commit to what they're actually doing, which is inventing a brand new franchise. I know they all wanted to make Banjo-Threeie over a decade ago, but time happened and they didn't get to, and they still don't. There's nothing wrong with inspiration and callbacks and 'spiritual sequels,' but if the end product is just going to scream "this isn't the game we wanted to make," it'll diminish the game they do make.

Or maybe I just hate fun today, who knows. Definitely interested to see the full KS campaign tomorrow.

I'm backing the SHIT out of this Kickstarter

The industry needs more quality 3D platformers. They are few and far between now days. No idea if this will be high quality or not but I'm willing to back it to give it a chance

Game Guru

I must say that it's looking very good... I say this as someone who had played the Donkey Kong Country games and Banjo-Kazooie back in the day and not particularly liked them. However, I am open to getting this game. I do hope this game has a retail release, though I can understand if it doesn't.

I cannot get over how similar this feels to Banjo-Kazooie. Obviously. And I mean that in a good way. It's like I'm having this weird dream and my mind is trying to piece together Banjo-Kazooie, and it got the gist with a couple weird mistakes. But then the font and the music and everything else just feels spot on. I love it. I already feel pretty committed to buying this game if it comes out on a platform I own.

Twookie

for some reason when i looked at the name some hours earlier today, it wasn't until now i noticed that is was a ¨play on ukulele....

Tadaima

Brace yourself.

Here we have the original original designs. Back when Laylee was a little more deranged, bless his cotton socks. He's still as cheeky as ever, though.

Yooka's look has been streamlined a bit, and is much more feminine than it once was. But you already noticed that.

LIbDQFr.jpg

MCN

Banned
Brace yourself.

Here we have the original original designs. Back when Laylee was a little more deranged, bless his cotton socks. He's still as cheeky as ever, though.

Yooka's look has been streamlined a bit, and is much more feminine than it once was. But you already noticed that.

Megaton

Brace yourself.

LIbDQFr.jpg
Aww these guys are cute too. Wouldn't mind them appearing stylized in certain parts like loading screens or something

Sou Da

Brace yourself.

LIbDQFr.jpg

Looks Project Sparkish

ItIsOkBro

Brace yourself.

LIbDQFr.jpg

Yooka looked really derpy.

PSqueak

Banned
Brace yourself.

LIbDQFr.jpg

So Yooka = girl, Laylee = boy confirmed?

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

Edit:

He's rehabilitated and is doing much better these days.

What is your game pal? you just want to see the world burn, don't ya?

ffdgh

Brace yourself.

LIbDQFr.jpg

Nice...and thanks for the genders :p

Crayolan

Brace yourself.

LIbDQFr.jpg

I love Laylee's design here.

Yooka looks better in the in-game pictures.

gafneo

Banned
They really nailed the Rare rendering style. It reminds me a lot of what the SNES era DKC games would look like in 3D.

Donkey_Kong_Country_Shot_2.png

When games became 3d, I'd always wish the boxart for DKC was graphically that impressive to a point where I could roam free into a world. Yuka-Laylee is that target render come to reality.

I'm sure that Yooka is female, and Laylee is male. Without a doubt. I don't think it needs confirmation, it just seems obvious.

Top Bottom