• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please delete my "The Tool album is gonna be 'Meh'" thread.

• Thread starter Deleted member 713885
  • Start date
713885.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
Thanks for the tip OP.

I was talking to my friend the other day and we were going on about Tools last album. We were both shocked it was in 2006. He was so sure it was 09/10 LOL.

But this only has 7 tracks?

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, its amazing.

All the tracks are 10min+
Yo

Yu have the one we've all heard. (Fear)
Then man...its off to the fucking races

Pneuma..hits!

Decending+Invincible, the live version dont do justice to how sweet they are.

Culling Voices is just chill. A soft, long, tune. Like a Reflection style I guess. Just 10+min of softness.

Chocolate Chip Trip is a fucking electro drum solo insanity instrumental

And god..

7empest..

7empest is the love child of Undertow, Anema, and Lateralus..
It's all 3 albums high points wrapped into one.
Soft open...THEN BAM! FUCKING DIRTY GROWING BASS AND ADAM JUST BRINGING SOME OLD TOOL RIFFS!
MELTS YOUR FUCKING FACE OFF!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cr0w

Old Member
I'm still at Descending...I'm taking my time. It's been incredible so far.

Pneuma kicked my ass the most on my first listen, but the third time through the build to 7empest and the fucking explosion when it all comes together is mind blowing.

I really only dislike Chocolate Chip Trip, it's not really my thing.

LOLCats

Banned
Its pretty crazy how Tool just reinvented themselves 25 years later with releasing their old album. I mean i know this new album is coming, but everyone ate up the release if their old albums digitally. Interested to hear what the new music is like.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
Its pretty crazy how Tool just reinvented themselves 25 years later with releasing their old album. I mean i know this new album is coming, but everyone ate up the release if their old albums digitally. Interested to hear what the new music is like.

It's like someone took everything they've ever done, threw it into a blender, and found a way to distill pure fucking angel cum and mix it in with the formula. It's surpassed my expectations, and they were sky high.

my only concern is with the actual mix/master of the official release. i believe there are some quality issues with what I'm listening to. FI single sounded so amazing, so I'm hoping it was just an amateur rip. Anyone else noticing this? Also nardo is way too low in the mix at times, i can barely hear the fucker!

currently listening to 7empest - slayin'

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My fucking god. Got out the nice headphones, plugged them into the sound system for some extra power and comfy couch listening, turned lights off and...fuck me sideways what a ride. All four of them fucking slayed it.

Just damn.

Some of the tracks start out as derivative but then subvert your expectations. I think this is by design. I started at "meh" but by track 3 I was onboard the train to DMT land.

Gonna wait until official release but will def be doing my first listen in complete Isolation and darkness while I navigate through a mushroom and edible weed trip.

Never done shrooms/weed. Does it make music better? I guess it's not anything like being drunk and listening cuz that just makes one sick. Surely sober is the way?

Never done shrooms/weed. Does it make music better? I guess it's not anything like being drunk and listening cuz that just makes one sick. Surely sober is the way?

Drop a few hits of acid/eat a handful of shrooms, lay down with your head between the speakers and close your eyes.

YOU WILL BE THE MUSIC.

Don't try this at home kids!

JimiNutz

Banned

Yeah both weed and shrooms significantly improve music. Never heard the old saying about your favourite musicians being real fucking high when they created the music you love?

Bill Hicks did a comedy bit about it and Tool sampled it at the end of the Aenima album. Pretty sure some if not all of Tool were high writing the majority of their music.

Otterz4Life

This album is incredible.

I didn’t really understand what I was hearing in the live version of Descending. Now that I’ve heard it in all it’s grandeur and subtlety, it’s one of my favorite Tool songs ever. My face melted from about 5:45 to 8:40.

cr0w

Old Member
So with Pneuma definitely sounding very similar to Schism, it's interesting to look at it as kind of a companion piece to the older song. Schism is, obviously, about people being driven apart, where Pneuma makes the case for people having to work together and become one again. I wonder if this was intentional.

After double digit listens today, I can say Pneuma and 7empest slay. I love the other tracks overall but these two are standouts for different reasons. I can appreciate Adam goes fucking hard in 7empest but with a different but familiar tone on his rig. Something akin to Undertow or AEnima. Pneuma is hands down the best song lyrically, thematically, with Descending close behind (though I think it needs more MJK or to be shorter).

Top Bottom