• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please help me pick a gaming headset

Ideally I'd like for it to work with my xbox 1x and my ps4 pro, 7.1 surround sound and not be overly expensive... I'm hoping $150 or less. I want good build and sound quality.. But hopefully not too expensive.

Hyper X Cloud, Sennheiser Game 1, and maybe the newer Logitech headsets are the only "gaming headsets" to buy. Otherwise go with the headphones + mic option that every person on the planet will chime in with in a few.

Edit: Per your $150 or less criteria, the Cloud 2 is actually the best option.

Braag

Don't buy anything with the word ”gaming" in it.

Headphones have a much better sound quality but if you want anything wireless then you pretty much have to go with a gaming headset cause they use a lag-free 2.4GHz wireless audio instead of bluetooth connection which does have a noticeable lag in gaming.

I personally use the audio-technica ath-m50x and the steelseries siberia 800 depending if I'm gaming from the couch or sitting behind the desk.

How about HyperX - Cloud Revolver S Wired Gaming Headset with Virtual Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound for PC, PS4, PS4 PRO, Xbox One - Black

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperx...s4-pro-xbox-one-black/5790404.p?skuId=5790404

This is one of the better options I think.

Headphones have a much better sound quality but if you want anything wireless then you pretty much have to go with a gaming headset cause they use a lag-free 2.4GHz wireless audio instead of bluetooth connection which does have a noticeable lag in gaming.

I personally use the audio-technica ath-m50x and the steelseries siberia 800 depending if I'm gaming from the couch or sitting behind the desk.

Do the ath-m50x, have a mic? Doesn't look like it

This is one of the better options I think.

The hyper x looks good... But i was hoping for wireless

Arondight

Just depends what you want out of the gaming headset. If you're into looking at it from a sound perspective, I wouldn't recommend any gaming headset. I've personally got a G933 mostly because I like the convenience of wireless and mic and still comfortable to wear and I've already got other decent sounding headphones like the Sennheiser momentums/598 and ATM50X. You could try the headsets out in the store if you can to see if you like them like I've done with pretty much all my headsets.

Braag

Do the ath-m50x, have a mic? Doesn't look like it

No, they are studio monitor headphones so obviously no mic. I do have a modmic on it in case I need a mic while using them.

The price is obviously going to be higher with wireless headsets and the audio quality suffers as well.
Furthermore there aren't many 7.1 wireless headsets which support both PS4 and Xbox One.
You would have to go with something like Logitech G933 which seems to support 7.1 on both consoles. It is slightly more expensive than other options however.

Wirecutter recommends the LucidSound - LS30 for wireless which uses a usb stick transmitter that works on consoles by running a short cable to the optical out port

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-headset/

CqIaojS.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-7Zn4_f8I

Top Bottom