• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please join me in laughing at Kotaku's Microsoft Flight Simulator "Review"

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So, Kotaku just published its "review" of Microsoft Flight Simulator. It's pretty much the worst trainwreck I ever saw in a review short of some exceptions like plagiarized ones and such.

The author (some Will Partin which I honestly never heard of) wrote a giant wall of text reviewing the concept of games as a service and cloud, with a smattering of politics for good measure, and didn't spend a single word actually reviewing the game.

In order to appear smarter than everyone else (the other "journalists and YouTubers" as he says) he starts with a convoluted premise about a mine in Indonesia (Grasberg MIne) allegedly being absent in the game. He even posts a screenshots of what he thinks is the location of the mine.

So, what is the big deal, you ask? besides the fact that he didn't review the game at all in the review of the game?

Well, anyone who knows how the game's map is generated, would immediately find his claim suspicious, because unless the mine is very recent, it's basically impossible that such a large feature is completely absent from the game. So I fired up the sim, and five minutes after, lo and behold...

The mine is indeed there. Not only, it actually looks awesome, and it's MASSIVE.

I guess for someone who has absolutely no intention to actually review the *game* in the game's review, doing the tutorial to learn to fly VFR (which incidentally is the only form of navigation the MSFS' direly sparse tutorial teaches, which is a flaw an actual competent review should probably mention) is too hard.

Too bad, because it would have perhaps helped him find a giant landmark in the game that is almost impossible to miss. 😂

Incidentally, he also decries the death of freeware addons, which are instead perfectly alive and kicking, but that wouldn't fit his narrative about capitalism I guess.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Unfortunately very little effort is put into reviewing content on sites anymore. This isn't unique to kotaku or games journalism. Content is king, not quality. I think polygon had a review for Carrion on PS4 despite the fact that it hasn't released on that platform.

Welcome to the 21st century, the truth is locked behind a paywall, but the lies are free.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Unfortunately very little effort is put into reviewing content on sites anymore. This isn't unique to kotaku or games journalism. Content is king, not quality. I think polygon had a review for Carrion on PS4 despite the fact that it hasn't released on that platform.

Welcome to the 21st century, the truth is locked behind a paywall, but the lies are free.

I wish this was an intentional lie, and not just a hilariously bad show of ignorance.

Alebrije

Those open sky mines are huge also the worse type of minery regarding ecologic impact. Hardly to avoid them on any aerial map.

Damigos

I wont click your link to give them traffic. Kotaku has become one of the most innovatives gaming sites to the most innovative shite!
I would join you anywhere OP to laugh at them

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Can't wait for their article on playing flight simulator while having a joystick lodged in their anus. Another pulitzer prize winning article coming our way.

Kotaku must hire their journalists from Arkham Asylum.

Saber

Gold Member
Its impossible for a sane human, in their reasonable mind pay someone to write crap.

Seriously, if so the entire world would be saved.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Review summary:

CGaLbJW.png

-Arcadia-

Banned
Pieces like this are what happens when you’re more concerned with writing the pretty words, and sounding intellectual, than actually even remotely addressing the task at hand, let alone doing so in a concise, informative way, that respects people’s time.

This is the writing equivalent, pardon the crudeness, of publicly masturbating to yourself, and is to be avoided at all costs.

It’s also an instant way of spotting a dumb person masquerading as a smart person.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I just don't care about whatever these guys do. You go on ahead.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I actually read through this. It is the smartest-sounding dumb review I've ever read. Easily. And the funny part is that the author is probably proud of it.

I hate polygon as much as anyone but I don't know if this claim is true that they reviewed carrion for the wrong platform is there any proof? I'd really like to share it to some friends who don't understand how bad they are.

The thing is, while I love to fly around in flight simulators, always did... probably always will... but I never considered that portion of my time at the computer screen "gaming" for whatever reason (like I don't accept bowling or golf as sports... don't get me started on "e-sports").

People are dumb, only I know the way to the truth. My current opinions supersede all your opinions and all my past opinions.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Surprised they didn’t tell us how racist or misogynistic the game is...or did they?

No. But he did do a thinly veiled dissertation on the evils of capitalism.

Incidentally, here's the response of their editor.

3TL49lb.jpg

Notice how he tries to blame it on the game. "it clearly doesn't appear in the writer's game, as evidenced by the screenshot."

Here's "the screenshot."

fs9lwjahwfydmk0tvuvc.png

I actually took upon myself to find the location of "the screenshot".

gv2c2Fl.jpg

It's not that the mine doesn't appear in the writer's game. It's that the writer can't do basic navigation to save his life.

From his departure airstrip, he needed to plot a 126 degrees course to the mine, east-south-east.

He managed to go off-course by 30 degrees, precisely on a 156 degrees course, or south-south-east, ending up tens of miles off target.

"doesn't appear in the writer's game" my ass.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I appreciate OP not linking the site directly, but it's amusing how often Kotaku links are posted. We get it, they're retarded, grass is green, sky is blue, lol.

Top Bottom