• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please recommend me some XBLA games

preferably of the action/ adventure/ RPG variety. I've totally neglected XBLA and only have Tomb Raider: GOL, Braid, Hydrophobia and Castlevania: SOTN. I was reading about Shadow Complex and it got me interested in catching up on what I've been missing out on. I'd also be interested in some arcade racing games if there are any decent ones.

:)

Tain

Arcade racing? Daytona USA, like immediately.

Hard Corps: Uprising and Strania are requirements if you like 2D action games (which you should). They're the best original XBLA games.

I suggest avoiding Bastion and Outland, but go ahead and see if the trials work for you.

You should get Shadow Complex it's an interesting game. I played it myself and beat the game. If you like 2D metroid games, you will like this game.

As per the genres in the OP, you are absolutely right to go for Shadow Complex. One of the better games of the generation, hugely enjoyable.

Guardian Heroes fits your criteria well too, its certainly Action/Adventure with RPG elements but is also a kick-arse balls-to-the-wall beat-the-shit-out-of-God fighting game too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Outland! It's Prince of Persia meets Ikaruga. Check out the thread for impressions, incredible game. Also : Bastion.

The first Geo Wars still is an excellent recommendation : cheap and one of the best games on the service. Most people prefer the second, but I don't like it all. Geo 1 > all

And for endless replay value, check out Trials HD.

inky

Adding to what people have told you (Outland, Bastion, Shadow Complex):
Beyond Good & Evil HD
Costume Quest (if you don't mind playing a halloween themed mostly for kids game any month of the year)

Outrun 2, it may not have all the content of Coast 2 Coast but it is still pretty good. It is meant to be disappearing from XBLA this month so be quick.

Sad that no one else has talked up Chime, the best music puzzle game I have ever played, one of the few games I bothered to S rank.

and it's for charity... and fucking amazing.

0 HP

radiant silvergun. get the demo and if you even remotely enjoy it, go for the full game. the part of the demo before the boss is by far the worst (boring) section in the game and even then its not even that bad.

play story mode. ignore arcade mode, it'll only cheapen the experience. if story mode is too hard, you can leave the game paused and you'll get a credit for every hour logged.

serious contender for the best treasure game. ikaruga is more streamlined and refined, but also more conservative in some ways and not as fun or weird.

Apath

• Marble Blast Ultra
  • Geometry Wars 2
  • Hydro Thunder Hurricane
  • Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Peggle
  • 'Splosion Man
  • Limbo
  • Perfect Dark
  • Raskulls
  • Miner Dig Deep (Indie Game -- requires internet connection to play.)

I tried to include a bit of everything, with a good variance in price range.

Platy

Only one recomendation to Splosion Man ? =(

But yeah Splosion Man, Castle Crashers and Super Meat Boy are my votes

Shadow Complex is a must.
Afterburner Climax and Daytona USA capture that classic Sega arcade game feel.
Pinball FX2 is pretty cool if you like pinball games. Really liking the Marvel tables at the moment.
Trouble Witches is a great shmup. Strania is fun too.
Guardian Heroes is a cool beat 'em up.
Pacman CE and Pacman CE DX have different gameplay rules, and both are worth picking up. Excellent "score attack" type arcade games.

GlamFM

Banned
Costume Quest - pick it up next year for halloween
Limbo - always a pleasure
Shadow Complex - if you have good taste in games
Trials HD - if you´re weird and like punishing yourself
Bastion - if you like fun

I would definitely recommend Pacman Championship Edition DX like many of these people on the forum, it's a great game to pickup and play when you only have a short amount of time and it's a great game to introduce to someone if they're with you as it's not too complicated yet it's addictive.

Labadal

preferably of the action/ adventure/ RPG variety. I've totally neglected XBLA and only have Tomb Raider: GOL, Braid, Hydrophobia and Castlevania: SOTN. I was reading about Shadow Complex and it got me interested in catching up on what I've been missing out on. I'd also be interested in some arcade racing games if there are any decent ones.

:)

All XBLA games have demos. Try them out.

My recommendations:
Castle Crashers - Great slash 'em up (4 players).
Scott Pigrim - Great beat 'em up (4 players).
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD
Shadow Complex: One of the best XBLA games.
Ilomilo: Fun puzzle game with nice artstyle (2 players).
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Stacking
Costume Quest

There are many more, start qeueing up demos, you have lots of downloading to do.

Mupod

Trenched aka Iron Brigade - My favorite of all these action/TD games that have been surfacing lately. And it just got a new content patch.

Shadow Complex
- It's been mentioned a lot, for good reason. If you liked Super Metroid, you'll like this.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane - It's as fun as the original, with prettier graphics. And the DLC is actually worthwhile.

Rez HD - I have bought this game 3 times. I would buy it again.

Bangai-O Missile Fury - If you think Dark Souls is the hardest game that came out this year, you'd be so very wrong. It's awesome though. Takes the action of the Dreamcast version and some of the puzzle-ish focus from the DS version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMISF47j-lY

Multiplat stuff:

Hard Corps: Uprising
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
Castle Crashers

Edit: HOW COULD I FORGET AFTERBURNER CLIMAX

LowerLevel

Is Vandal Hearts still on the marketplace? Not a TOO bad SRPG. Old school Phantasy Star 2 with chievos... Shadow Complex should have been top ten downloaded game really. That and Bastion. Puzzle Quest is fun as well.

mclaren777

Trine 2 later this month.

Otherwise, get Miner Dig Deep from the XBLIG channel for $1.

iVjOZb1c7aP6k.jpg

Top Bottom