• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plugged my 360 back on my TV last week to play some Soul Calibur V

My friend and I were shocked by how much it held up graphically, especially compared to Soul Calibur 6. Both games pretty much look the same, but SC6 runs at 4 times the resolution on Xbox One X / Series X (QHD vs 720p) and that's pretty much it. From a 8-foot distance, the resolution gap is visible but surprisingly not all that noticeable, especially when playing. To be honest, we were even thinking that SCV had better looking stages overall. If anything, this goes to show how much SC6 got shafted when it comes to development budget and was treated as a low priority project. I believe they even mentioned that Soul Calibur's future depended on how well it sold. I mean, I'm pretty certain the same goes for basically for most game series but to say this prior to the release of your game tells a lot about the perception of the series at Namco Bandai. Good thing the game sold though. We even had 2 seasons of characters.

Anyway, I digress. My point was that the game still looks surprisingly good on my LG CX screen. Aside from the resolution bump, both games are spectacularly close. Doesn't feel like there is a 6 and a half years + console generation gap between them.

Another thing...I also have a copy of Soul Calibur IV on PS3 and it really doesn't look nearly as good. It clearly runs at a sub-hd resolution, has multiples slowdowns during gameplay (mostly on the final hit of a round during a match). I remember buying the 360 version on release day when it came out and I don't remember that port having the same issues. Can anyone confirm?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I played a good amount of SCV.

Multiplayer was great, a solid SC addition. The story mode was not as fun as it forced you to use certain characters to play out the story.

I played a good amount of SCV.

Multiplayer was great, a solid SC addition. The story mode was not as fun as it forced you to use certain characters to play out the story.

Yes, if we focus on the gameplay portion, I'd say it's a worthy addition to the series that in unfortunately held back by some significant flaws. The single player aspects are significantly underdeveloped / less fun compared to SC 2-3-4. Also, when it comes to characters, the roaster isn't nearly as good as the old one. I immensely prefer the characters from previous games and their moveset as I am much more accustomed to them. I was really glad that SC6 went back with them. This goes to show how SC5 kind of broke its own legacy.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Yes, if we focus on the gameplay portion, I'd say it's a worthy addition to the series that in unfortunately held back by some significant flaws. The single player aspects are significantly underdeveloped / less fun compared to SC 2-3-4. Also, when it comes to characters, the roaster isn't nearly as good as the old one. I immensely prefer the characters from previous games and their moveset as I am much more accustomed to them. I was really glad that SC6 went back with them. This goes to show how SC5 kind of broke its own legacy.

Ya at first I didnt like the new characters and classic characters like Kilik were a pain to unlock. But I eventually did get used to the new characters. I didnt play enough SC6 to have a real opinion of that entry though.

Ya at first I didnt like the new characters and classic characters like Kilik were a pain to unlock. But I eventually did get used to the new characters. I didnt play enough SC6 to have a real opinion of that entry though.

It's a really good game. It just kind of feels like it should have come out as a early 2014 title or something like that, graphically speaking I mean. That and the roaster feels incomplete without the 2 characters seasons pass. But gameplay wise, it's basically a continuity of SC5. Armor Breaks, Critical Edge, Guard Impact, plus they've added Reversal Edge, Lethal Hit, Soul Attack and Resist Impact. They also brought back Soul Charge.

sn0man

Did SC5 get a definitive release? I might try and pick up a disc. I still have 4 for 360 and love it.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
SCV is hella underrated. Loved that boat stage and my boy maxi had sick parries. Even liked the weird online lobbies. SCVI was my greatest disappointment last gen.

Top Bottom