• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size model Tess Holliday reveals she's receiving treatment for anorexia

Eating healthy can be expensive as well, whereas 3 for 1 pizzas for £3 is common

Its cheaper to eat shit foods, which is bonkers when you really think about it
This is definitely true but I would say that it would need to be looked at on a case by case basis.

What I mean by that is someone might buy the 3 for 3 pizzas but also spend a load of money on cigarettes and booze on top of that so it's tricky to get a good grasp on where people are spending their money.

If someone is prioritising other things above food and then has little left over to spend on food then it's not just the case that healthy foods cost more but that the person is spending more money needlessly elsewhere.

Obviously for people who are legitimately poor this is a far more dire and complicated scenario. For the people posting all day on Twitter and Instagram about thin privilege etc I am not sure it's an issue with healthy food costing too much.

INC

This is definitely true but I would say that it would need to be looked at on a case by case basis.

What I mean by that is someone might buy the 3 for 3 pizzas but also spend a load of money on cigarettes and booze on top of that so it's tricky to get a good grasp on where people are spending their money.

If someone is prioritising other things above food and then has little left over to spend on food then it's not just the case that healthy foods cost more but that the person is spending more money needlessly elsewhere.

Obviously for people who are legitimately poor this is a far more dire and complicated scenario. For the people posting all day on Twitter and Instagram about thin privilege etc I am not sure it's an issue with healthy food costing too much.

I live in a low income area in the South, and I can tell you now, healthy options just aren't an option for a lot of people, due to cost, hence why Iceland and frozen foods are so popular, the area is nothing but gambling store, second hand shops and barbers lol

Look at bottled water, why is a bottle coke cheaper that water? Even petrol (per litre) wa cheaper than mineral water not that long ago.......I mean that makes no sense to me

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
She never forgets to eat...... Elephants never forget
tenor.gif

Tschumi

Obviously there are types of anorexia that don't involve being skinny as hell.

I don't have a problem with her message.

But I'll use this minute soapbox to briefly say that I think plus size models are pretty awful - not awful people, just beacons (bacons? too much?) of poor health that we should all be striving to move away from, not resigning ourselves too. I know for some people losing weight is extremely hard, but this girl could probably afford to spend all her days with a PT losing the pounds, and maybe she could inspire some people to do the same. I guess some of her fans would call her a traitor, but they're simpletons.

Loooord if I was on ree I'd be banned for this :p I just know it

I think she is just too stupid to understand what her problem is and has no idea about anorexia, which she does not have by definition alone.

She has an eating disorder (she is extremely fat) and she will die from it in the next 30 years. End of story.

People like her should be banned from instagram and twitter because they sell false, sick and ultimately deadly body images. It doesn't matter if they do it consciously or if they are just immensely dumb. Ban them.
To me it’s like someone saying smoking is healthy or doing heroin is healthy. If you want to kill yourself with drugs or alcohol or food, that’s a choice that should be open to you. But to do it and pretend it’s something we should all be congratulating you for? Nah. Fuck that. What a self absorbed piece of enormous shit.

There are people that are naturally "thicc" or big boned (Christina Hendricks, Elon Musk, NFL Linemen, just throwing shit out there).

Then there are people that are just fat and looking for an excuse.

It's pretty easy to tell which is which.

rDJXqih.gif

Everyone has gone insane!

Fat = healthy

Tell that to their heart disease later in life. Not many gray-haired fatties walking around.

OrtizTwelve

Western society for the past few years has been living in constant psychosis and delusion, in almost every aspect when it comes to social norms and what is accepted as "normal". It all stems for from the fact that society has become soft, mentally unstable, and unable to accept basic truths or facts of life, because the majority of the populace is too hysterical, unhinged, and weak, and cannot deal with concepts that are too painful to accept yet in reality are only so obvious and self evident.

Yes, being fat, overweight, or morbidly obese is not in any way healthy, and you are almost guaranteed a very early death, or at the minimum a life full of medical complications and problems, compounded by mental problems. There is no such thing as a genuine happy fat person, and the whole concept of accepting your body and loving yourself for what you are is nothing but bullshit. It's almost criminal, because what you're doing is encouraging someone to slowly commit suicide over time.

Tess Holiday unless she drops significant amount of weight is almost guaranteed to die within a few short years. There's nothing wrong with being thin or encouraging people to be thin. Look at the elderly population, those who are over 80 or 90 years old -- there are NO fat people. All the fat people are dead.

First the anorexia craze of the 90s and now the obesity aesthetic of the 20s. Is there any entertainment industry that can keep a healthy middle ground?
Or maybe it's our society equating attention with monetary success that is driving us into the extremes...

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Although I disagree with the ‘body positivity’ movement I am very surprised over the years the governments didn’t crack on the food industry the way they did otobacco companies.
Because this is what it is - the obesity epidemic is a result of food companies engineering food to be addictive the same way tobacco companies did with nicotine. In fact ‘body positivity’ plays into that the same way ‘be a free man’ advertising played a role in the popularity of Camel or Marlboro cigarettes.

So even though people say ‘just eat less’ the truth is you have billion dollar industry working very hard against you. What we should start with is no brand packaging for food deemed unhealthy according to nutritional values and taking a closer look at additives being added to food products (also taxing unhealthy foods much more).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Although I disagree with the ‘body positivity’ movement I am very surprised over the years the governments didn’t crack on the food industry the way they did otobacco companies.
Because this is what it is - the obesity epidemic is a result of food companies engineering food to be addictive the same way tobacco companies did with nicotine. In fact ‘body positivity’ plays into that the same way ‘be a free man’ advertising played a role in the popularity of Camel or Marlboro cigarettes.

So even though people say ‘just eat less’ the truth is you have billion dollar industry working very hard against you. What we should start with is no brand packaging for food deemed unhealthy according to nutritional values and taking a closer look at additives being added to food products (also taxing unhealthy foods much more).
I work for branded companies, I get what you mean.

But it's a pretty tough case to classify sugar or fat or high calorie foods the same as pure drug addiction stuff like booze or smokes. Which the gov still legally allows to be sold. Which is truly amazing, since on one hand they say these things are sin, yet once they figure out how to monetize and tax it, they're all for it.

IMO, I think a lot of issues stem from people just not being responsible and giving a shit in life. You dont need Tony Little looking like an ass on that exercise machine telling you eating lean beef and vegetables is better for you than Burger King.

For purely addiction stuff like I listed above (and that includes hard drugs like cocaine or meth or fentanyl pills), that shit becomes addictive over time. It's not like someone drinks beer for the first time and becomes an alcoholic over the weekend. Most people even hate smoking or drinking beer for the first time. But if a retard wants to some reason keep doing i making it an addiction, thats on them.

As for fattening food, people got choices. You can either buy McDonalds (like I did today!) or make a boring ham sandwich at home. One is healthier and cheaper, but if people are teased to buy tastier food and all they have to do is stand in line and someone makes it for you, and you got some money to give, many people will buy McD's.

If anyone wants to blame manufacturers for making crappy food, you can also blame retailers because ultimately they are the ones selling it. And what do you get on hot deals? Junk food. Why? Because they are a draw and high margin.

You know what else is high margin? Healthy shit like produce and meat

That bag of apples going for 99 cents/lb isn't costing the store 90 cents. Just because it's a staple kind of product doesn't always mean profits are thin. That bag of apples has a profit margin not any different than a bag of chips. It probably has a cost of 55-60 cents. If stores really cared about skewing people to buy more healthy stuff, they'd reduce prices on apples and lean chicken. But they don't because they also want to make profit.

And then what do stores do too to reinforce buying junky cheap stuff? They make their own store brand which is even cheaper. Which just helps compulsive junk buyers buy even more crap for the same amount of money. Go to a store and look at the cheap private label stuff. It's usually junky crap. Even junkier than the branded junk. It'll be 99 cent bags of chips, cookies, bargain tier pasta sauce, selling a case of pop for $1 cheaper than Coke or Pepsi etc...

Last edited:

Tschumi

I personally think this is /thread, but you might not find many people willing to strafe away from the main topic to take this in.. I'm typing this as I'm into my second bag of sugary treats I've "awarded" myself after 30km of bike riding today.. there was a moment in the convenience store when i decided, subconsciously, that i *needed* about a cup of sugar, or two.. that conditioning speaks to 20 odd years of being weaned on addictive foods after an opening decade or so of controlled eating.

I live in a low income area in the South, and I can tell you now, healthy options just aren't an option for a lot of people, due to cost, hence why Iceland and frozen foods are so popular, the area is nothing but gambling store, second hand shops and barbers lol

Look at bottled water, why is a bottle coke cheaper that water? Even petrol (per litre) wa cheaper than mineral water not that long ago.......I mean that makes no sense to me
Similar where I am. The town I grew up in went from loads of varied shops to bookies and takeaways and a Greggs and not much else. Used to have Woolworths, a record shop, even a locally owed video-game store selling commodore 64 cassettes! :)

Back in the good old days!

What I would say is that I don't believe plus size models like this lady here are targeting their "message" at the people who have no choice but to shop at Iceland. I mean I doubt you'll overhear too many conversations about thin privilege and societal beauty norms in the local Poundland.

Last edited:
I personally think this is /thread, but you might not find many people willing to strafe away from the main topic to take this in.. I'm typing this as I'm into my second bag of sugary treats I've "awarded" myself after 30km of bike riding today.. there was a moment in the convenience store when i decided, subconsciously, that i *needed* about a cup of sugar, or two.. that conditioning speaks to 20 odd years of being weaned on addictive foods after an opening decade or so of controlled eating.
When I first met my wife this feeling of "needing" certain foods was such a crazy thing when she would come over for dinner and then when we moved in together. I tend to just avoid bread and will not really bother with chocolate or crisps etc at all unless maybe there was some huge movie we were going to see and I'd like "fuck it, treat myself". She'd be more like of the opinion that your almost supposed to have a snack everyday and that she "can't live without bread and potatoes"etc. I had lived alone since my early 20s and had always just been into getting boring but fresh stuff and eating 3 times per day (possible I have problems with gluten or wheat but never got diagnosed so I dunno just I know what foods feel good to eat and what ones leave me feeling a bit crap). She lived with her folks much longer and sure enough when we'd go over it was clear that they had no concept of carbs or calories or anything like that. Have big fuck off plate of spaghetti bolognese with a garlic baguette on the side. LOL. WTF?

Education is such a bit part of it so I think it's really unhelpful to have people really dishonestly suggesting that being a big fatty is actually healthy. If people care that much then it would be better to teach kids about cooking and sugar and carbs and all that stuff and helping them take care of their bodies.

Tschumi

When I first met my wife this feeling of "needing" certain foods was such a crazy thing when she would come over for dinner and then when we moved in together. I tend to just avoid bread and will not really bother with chocolate or crisps etc at all unless maybe there was some huge movie we were going to see and I'd like "fuck it, treat myself". She'd be more like of the opinion that your almost supposed to have a snack everyday and that she "can't live without bread and potatoes"etc. I had lived alone since my early 20s and had always just been into getting boring but fresh stuff and eating 3 times per day (possible I have problems with gluten or wheat but never got diagnosed so I dunno just I know what foods feel good to eat and what ones leave me feeling a bit crap). She lived with her folks much longer and sure enough when we'd go over it was clear that they had no concept of carbs or calories or anything like that. Have big fuck off plate of spaghetti bolognese with a garlic baguette on the side. LOL. WTF?

Education is such a bit part of it so I think it's really unhelpful to have people really dishonestly suggesting that being a big fatty is actually healthy. If people care that much then it would be better to teach kids about cooking and sugar and carbs and all that stuff and helping them take care of their bodies.
I just spent my 20s distracting myself from uni and staying within budget by playing sports and living off discount candy packs and the like, only in my 30s I've ceased with the sports to quite the same extent.. I still feel like I'm obligated to have like 70% of my daily diet taken up by sugary foods

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
She clearly does not know what anorexia is:

" Those suffering from this eating disorder are typically suffering from an extremely low body weight relative to their height and body type."

She has an eating disorder but clearly not anorexia

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
fyi anorexia just means loss of appetite

Anorexia Nervosa​

"Anorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder manifested when a person refuses to eat an adequate amount of food or is unable to maintain the minimal weight for a person's body mass index. Individuals with anorexia often have a distorted body image. Those with anorexia view themselves as fat or bulky in certain areas and have an intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat."

She failed on both of these counts of qualifying as anorexic

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
IMO, I think a lot of issues stem from people just not being responsible and giving a shit in life. You dont need Tony Little looking like an ass on that exercise machine telling you eating lean beef and vegetables is better for you than Burger King.
I definitely agree in the perfect word you should leave it to people’s sense of personal responsibility, but we are not living in a perfect world and as with tobacco and alcohol the government needs to finally look at advantages and drawbacks of allowing food companies to continue to engineer unhealthy food to be the most appealing and addicting to the masses.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's not often I'm ashamed of members of this community anymore since Politics was nuked, but this thread seems to do the job still. Completely unbelievable. Gonna have to stick it on ignore. The level of hate and childish attacks is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom