• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto anime details

duckroll

I would love 20th Century Boys with Shinichiro Watanabe in the director role

Yes, after Terror in Resonance started off strong and engaging, and then devolved into a nonsensical pulp Hollywood non-ending, I too believe Shinichiro Watanabe is the perfect man to direct 20th Century Boys. Perfect fit!

Fury451

Banned
Yes, after Terror in Resonance started off strong and engaging, and then devolved into a nonsensical pulp Hollywood non-ending, I too believe Shinichiro Watanabe is the perfect man to direct 20th Century Boys. Perfect fit!

One misfire on his record. Kids on the Slope was great, as well as those other more famous ones.

Edit: Oh, never mind I get it now haha... yes indeed lol. For all it's flaws, that first stretch was something else and I was definitely engaged through all volumes.

Another pressing question is where is the HBO Del Toro adaptation of Monster? This has the potential to be amazing. The anime was one of the best things I've ever seen in moving pictures.

This is in good hands if MAPPA is making it.

1 episode = 1 volume means each episode is going to be really fast paced or movie length to fit in that much content.

sanstesy

Who did the Monster anime? That adaption was very well done.

I don't think the Watanabe is the guy do the do a Urasawa manga adaption. Their styles are too different.

They better be hour long episodes then

That wasn't even an adaptation though. Why not use Kids on the Slope as an example??

duckroll

They better be hour long episodes then

Yes they are planned to be "long episodes" similar to Gundam Unicorn and other recent OVA format shows.

And? Depending on how jam packed those volumes are with content I'm asking if 8 is enough for that.

Sorry the OP isn't as clear as the French sources I read earlier. But basically they are doing each volume as a long form episode to retain the material in the same format. It's going to be very faithful. The volumes of Pluto are not very long.

Another pressing question is where is the HBO Del Toro adaptation of Monster? This has the potential to be amazing. The anime was one of the best things I've ever seen in moving pictures.

I think Del Toro's Live Action MONSTER isn't going ahead at HBO. It's been awhile since I heard from it. I would love to see the creator of Legion and Fargo make MONSTER.

duckroll

Who did the Monster anime? That adaption was very well done.

Masayuki Kojima directed both Master Keaton and Monster at Madhouse. But I don't think he'll be doing Pluto. There are other directors who worked on those shows back then who are in better positions to direct Pluto at MAPPA. For example... Black Lagoon director Sunao Katabuchi who recently did the critically acclaimed In This Corner of the World film.

I'm a bit concerned that this project is moving forward without having decided on a director. It seems likely that this will be a pedestrian, cut-and-paste adaptation akin to Monster, which will result in something competent but not exceptional.

Harsh but true.

Beartruck

Wow, why not 20th Century Boys though?

It's still good, but I'd say Monster > 20th Century Boys > Pluto

For me, Pluto is at the top. 20th century boys was ruined for me by the twist that
Multiple characters have psychic powers. It was a lazy way to plug holes in the story revolving around how the villain succeeded as well as he did.Alternatively, oh, the hero needs money? Psychic powers to win all the money, I ain't gotta explain shit!

I never really thought Terror in Resonance was strong or engaging but maybe I should go back and try to watch it again.

sanstesy

Masayuki Kojima directed both Master Keaton and Monster at Madhouse. But I don't think he'll be doing Pluto. There are other directors who worked on those shows back then who are in better positions to direct Pluto at MAPPA. For example... Black Lagoon director Sunao Katabuchi who recently did the critically acclaimed In This Corner of the World film.

Hmm, alright. Hopefully they nail the tone.

CBTech

I'm not very familiar with the typical production cycle for anime. Is announcing an 8 episode anime 3 years before release normal? It seems very premature.

Pluto is great. I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I would love an anime of 20th Century Boys.

petran79

Banned
For me, Pluto is at the top. 20th century boys was ruined for me by the twist that
Multiple characters have psychic powers. It was a lazy way to plug holes in the story revolving around how the villain succeeded as well as he did.Alternatively, oh, the hero needs money? Psychic powers to win all the money, I ain't gotta explain shit!

One reasonI liked Happy! manga more than the more famous manga of his. Despite the naive main character,things are simple and straightforward.

When he tries to go to more grandiose things and I am usually overwhelmed by it, he messes up in the end leaving a sour taste.

PsionBolt

This is the best anime-related news in years. If the anime is as earnest an adaptation of the manga as the manga was of Atom, the 2020s anime of the decade will be decided in its first year.

I nominate "The World's Strongest Anime" as the GAF OT subtitle.

FUCK YES.

YESYESYESYES.

yeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss

Thank you, MAPPA!

Easily one of my favorite mangas, and in some ways Urasawa at his best, because it's got the highlights of Urasawa's other works (great characters, intrigue, nuance, addictive page turner, shocking reveals), but Pluto doesn't really have any bloat. Nice and lean. I teared up at least once every volume, too, goddamn you, Urasawa!

Top Bottom