• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Where are all the Deadlands fans? :(

Beats me. Ive been looking around the web for a week now trying to get into any Savage Worlds game, let alone Deadlands which looks great, and theres nothing going on. Its rather disappointing.

dude

dude
Have been spending some time now reading the Shadowrun book and I am definetly sold on the setting. Absolutely love it.

As for the rules, I havent thought of them as that daunting when it comes to the dice rolling. Add some dice to modify, remove some dice to modify, roll and see what you get. It might be because I have yet to actually try play the game (going to gather a group in the week for that).

Dice rolling in Shadowrun is much more cumbersome than other "dice pool" systems (like WW's), and it's also a lot less intuitive. The system can make both combat and mundane tasks slow and annoying.
And don't even get me started on the horrible "priorities" character building system.

Beats me. Ive been looking around the web for a week now trying to get into any Savage Worlds game, let alone Deadlands which looks great, and theres nothing going on. Its rather disappointing.
Funny, we were just talking about games with cool settings and horrible system* :p

*I am reffering to classic Deadlands, not the Savage World version.

Danoss

I'm excited by the postman's latest delivery, not long after its release. The 3rd edition that people didn't think was coming. Chaosium sure take their time with stuff, but it's usually worth the (painfully long, multi-year) wait.

Lm0CH.jpg

The book looks great, I look forward to reading it soon and eventually running a Cthulhu adventure where players can investigate, confront and run from nightmarish horrors with very little technology at their disposal.

You want a torch to investigate that dilapidated building at night? What's a torch? You mean you want to light a doused rag on fire? Perhaps you'd prefer this lantern, some fuel for it and a book of matches.

You want to give your friend a call? Well, you can call out his name, I'm not sure if he'll hear you from here.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
If any austin area gaffers wanna let me sit in on a PnP game sometime, I'd be honored. I never get to play anything, I just buy books and get empty promises form half-interested friends. Used to play 2nd edition AD&D (the black books) religiously and it's the only thing I'm nostalgic for.

I really don't wanna just join up with complete strangers. PM me if you have pity.
Just ran into a stellar Pathfinder actual play cast, with fun players and a GM that does great character voices.

Took me two eps, but loving it now. http://www.rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=69

RPG Light Entertainment Division is the group.

Just started. Sounds good so far! thanks!

I live vicariously through these things, but most of them sound like shit or the people playing are sorta' doofy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Funny, we were just talking about games with cool settings and horrible system* :p

*I am reffering to classic Deadlands, not the Savage World version.

Never looked into the OG Deadlands, but the SW system looks pretty solid and most of the negatives I read about it dont seem to be that big of issues to me. Plus most of their settings seem pretty dope, Deadlands, Rippers, The Day After Ragnarok and Space 1889 all look fun and unique.

dude

dude
Never looked into the OG Deadlands, but the SW system looks pretty solid and most of the negatives I read about it dont seem to be that big of issues to me. Plus most of their settings seem pretty dope, Deadlands, Rippers, The Day After Ragnarok and Space 1889 all look fun and unique.

Yeah, SW is a solid system. OG Deadlands is what I was talking about.

The setting is pretty goddamn cool.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah, SW is a solid system. OG Deadlands is what I was talking about.

The setting is pretty goddamn cool.

The whole hand waving of Slavery is a bit weird, but that can be easily ignored, and I guess it doesnt have a massive impact on the west, but still a bit odd considering the South "won" for all intents and purposes.

Keasar

Dice rolling in Shadowrun is much more cumbersome than other "dice pool" systems (like WW's), and it's also a lot less intuitive. The system can make both combat and mundane tasks slow and annoying.
And don't even get me started on the horrible "priorities" character building system.

Is this about the fourth edition? From what I read on wikis they moved from a target number system to a "hits" system after the third which sounds like an improvement. It doesnt really sound that cumbersome, but then again, I might be a bit used to rolling tons of dice during my Warhammer 40K days.

dude

dude
Is this about the fourth edition? From what I read on wikis they moved from a target number system to a "hits" system after the third which sounds like an improvement. It doesnt really sound that cumbersome, but then again, I might be a bit used to rolling tons of dice during my Warhammer 40K days.

No, as I mentioned before, I don't have a lot of experience with the fourth edition - I'm talking about the third.
I do understand that the fourth edition should be a huge improvement, but I didn't really check out yet.

The whole hand waving of Slavery is a bit weird, but that can be easily ignored, and I guess it doesnt have a massive impact on the west, but still a bit odd considering the South "won" for all intents and purposes.
Yeah... But I guess they didn't want black character getting killed every time they get into Confederate territories?

Keasar

No, as I mentioned before, I don't have a lot of experience with the fourth edition - I'm talking about the third.
I do understand that the fourth edition should be a huge improvement, but I didn't really check out yet.

Once I get a group "running" I will come back and tell how it was. :)

Danoss

UVs1I.jpg

Hopefully this increases the exposure of Mouse Guard & Burning Wheel to gamers (especially if a related news post goes up), those games sure deserve it. I hear Luke Crane's site has been getting a significantly increased number of hits, so hopefully that improves even more.

I'm also hoping the word gets out there enough to increase my chances of actual being in a game of either, they both seem amazing. The Mouse Guard comics are pretty cool too, I bought them when I grabbed the game so I could get a feel for what they were going for. In an interview with Luke Crane he was saying that hopefully the Mouse Guard RPG will be a bridge from one gaming generation to the next, as many gamer parents have asked what would be good to play with their children. It looks perfect for that to me, and I hope many youngsters can get into the hobby instead of being dragged off into the abyss of video games.

Burning Wheel (of which Mouse Guard uses a simplified version) has a traditional fantasy setting, but the characters grow as the game progresses, though not in a sense of 'levels' that everyone is used to. It's a very interesting take that involves and encourages real roleplaying, and is a real breath of fresh air into the genre. It's cheap as hell too, $25 (!) plus postage for the new 600 page (don't worry, it's because it's a smaller frame, and is a GM guide and player guide rolled into one) hardcover book that has everything you need to run and play a game. I can't do a very good job of explaining it, because there is a lot to it, but not overwhelmingly. It is really worth a look though.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I bought the Mouse Guard book and I love it as a fan of the comic. If only I hadn't changed my avatar.

These little guys are so badass that they can take down large animals in groups. The book even says how many you need.

dude

dude
My roomate wouldn't shut up about Mouseguard a couple of years ago...
We'be been meaning to play this for years now...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I can't let this go, just listened to episode 100 of Critical Hit.

Holy shit, I almost died laughing. While driving. Best Orem ep ever.

"You!"
"Hello!"
"What's your name?"
"iiiiiiiiiiii-"
"No! Doesn't matter! Listen!"
[...]
"None of the people you have in the room with you should be friends!"
[...]
"Because even if it doesn't look like it - I wanna make sure that you guys live!"

oh god I cried laughing. So fucking good. When this thing get's funny, it gets REALLY fucking funny!

Alright I can't let this go, just listened to episode 100 of Critical Hit.

Holy shit, I almost died laughing. While driving. Best Orem ep ever.

"You!"
"Hello!"
"What's your name?"
"iiiiiiiiiiii-"
"No! Doesn't matter! Listen!"
[...]
"None of the people you have in the room with you should be friends!"
[...]
"Because even if it doesn't look like it - I wanna make sure that you guys live!"

oh god I cried laughing. So fucking good. When this thing get's funny, it gets REALLY fucking funny!

I'm on #112 for my catch up run and LOVING it again. Can't wait til the final battle and the wrap up, as well as the beginning of the new campaign this week!

No spoilers! ;)

Danoss

I don't want to turn this thread into 'Danoss buys...', I promise. I just received my order for the 'Names' book.

JgR5c.jpg

I thought it'd be neat to have at the game table in case I was stuck for a name of something. I recently found myself stumbling around for a name and so jumped on this to make life a little easier. I've had the PDF for a while, but thought having the book would be better (it always is).

The cool thing is that if you guys want a copy, the PDF is absolutely free. It's released under creative commons, so if you want a copy, here you go. If you want a printed copy like me, it's print-on-demand at Lulu for printing cost only (plus postage), here's the link if that interests you.

I don't want to turn this thread into 'Danoss buys...', I promise. I just received my order for the 'Names' book.

JgR5c.jpg

I thought it'd be neat to have at the game table in case I was stuck for a name of something. I recently found myself stumbling around for a name and so jumped on this to make life a little easier. I've had the PDF for a while, but thought having the book would be better (it always is).

The cool thing is that if you guys want a copy, the PDF is absolutely free. It's released under creative commons, so if you want a copy, here you go. If you want a printed copy like me, it's print-on-demand at Lulu for printing cost only (plus postage), here's the link if that interests you.

Ah nice! I'll grab this for one of my former GMs. She was always teased for her lack of naming ability. I have this odd ability to come up with names on the fly so she would pause when she needed one and ask me what his/her name was! LOL

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, love the cover art on that book. Pretty much sums up why it's hard to find names sometimes.

SmZA

Burning Wheel (of which Mouse Guard uses a simplified version) has a traditional fantasy setting, but the characters grow as the game progresses, though not in a sense of 'levels' that everyone is used to. It's a very interesting take that involves and encourages real roleplaying, and is a real breath of fresh air into the genre. It's cheap as hell too, $25 (!) plus postage for the new 600 page (don't worry, it's because it's a smaller frame, and is a GM guide and player guide rolled into one) hardcover book that has everything you need to run and play a game. I can't do a very good job of explaining it, because there is a lot to it, but not overwhelmingly. It is really worth a look though.
I'm just about to GM a BW campaign for the first time. Can't wait.

dude

dude
I have that PDF but I never use it... I was blessed with a pretty good talent for names.
Using a book like this ruins some of the fun for me, actually, making up names is one of my favorite things.

Getting sick of Deathwatch. Been doing a small campaign of it and the rule system is just so cumbersome with lot of bad design ideas that just confuse players. Like the concept of the game but the execution... meh. Not sure how the other 40k rpgs by FFG play. Prefer what they did with the Warhammer Fantasy rpg and glad they didn't use the same system as the 40k universe games.

SW is great, it's simple and flexible and good for games that you want to keep moving fast and loose. It's a generic ruleset that works for anything and great for homebrew campaigns. There's also Strike Force 7 which is basically a GI Joe SW setting which is lot of fun :)

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Found an old copy of Steve Jackson stuff I used to have.

Holy crap I had alot of Car Wars crap.

Danoss

I'm just about to GM a BW campaign for the first time. Can't wait.

Awesome stuff man, I'm keen to read anything you want to share about your experience. I really want to play that game at least once.

Has anyone played this? A GMless RPG sounds really interesting, as does the concept.

http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/

I heard of this. We've talked about playing it this month, so I'll update once we do.

I think Danoss mentioned he played it though, so maybe he'll do it before me.

Sadly, I haven't played it yet, I really wish I had. I just get really excited about it and even though I haven't played it, I'll still recommend it, because I know how much fun it is. I own the books, I've seen it and listened to it being played and it is amazing. I'm hoping my gaming group will give it a crack after our D&D campaign is done, or maybe we can squeeze it in on one of the off-weeks we spend board gaming. After reading the main book (haven't read the Fiasco Companion yet) I've been champing at the bit to play it. I honestly think this is something that everyone can get into, like you can trick people into roleplaying without their knowledge.

Shut Up & Sit Down guys reviewed it recently here. I also heard it will be featured on the new bi-weekly YouTube show Tabletop at some point; hardly surprising since Wil Wheaton is a huge fan and wrote the foreword in the companion.

I look forward to hearing about this stupid amount of fun Dude has playing it, or anyone else. From what people tell me, the simplest most bland looking scenarios (playsets) produce the most fun out of the gate for new players. One in particular I hear many recommendations for is the 'Dragon Slayers' playset, it's instantly familiar for anyone who knows or has played D&D or WoW.

Awesome stuff man, I'm keen to read anything you want to share about your experience. I really want to play that game at least once.

Sadly, I haven't played it yet, I really wish I had. I just get really excited about it and even though I haven't played it, I'll still recommend it, because I know how much fun it is. I own the books, I've seen it and listened to it being played and it is amazing. I'm hoping my gaming group will give it a crack after our D&D campaign is done, or maybe we can squeeze it in on one of the off-weeks we spend board gaming. After reading the main book (haven't read the Fiasco Companion yet) I've been champing at the bit to play it. I honestly think this is something that everyone can get into, like you can trick people into roleplaying without their knowledge.

Shut Up & Sit Down guys reviewed it recently here. I also heard it will be featured on the new bi-weekly YouTube show Tabletop at some point; hardly surprising since Wil Wheaton is a huge fan and wrote the foreword in the companion.

I look forward to hearing about this stupid amount of fun Dude has playing it, or anyone else. From what people tell me, the simplest most bland looking scenarios (playsets) produce the most fun out of the gate for new players. One in particular I hear many recommendations for is the 'Dragon Slayers' playset, it's instantly familiar for anyone who knows or has played D&D or WoW.

I might try arrange a game this week and do a write up. I really should start writing up my games, I play a lot.

Karak

Played a good long 11 hour game on Saturday of Afterearth(my game not the upcoming movie;). As always these guys are excellent roleplayers. The mechanics barely ever got in the way of the game and instead they began to flesh out the small border-town that we started the game in.

One of the greatest bits was the Dark Dwarf, duel six-gun wielding Marshall, who despises one of our characters. Sadly that character has a serious mouth on him and by the end of the night he was in jail for drunkingly kicking over a table and shooting through it in the middle of a card-game. The Marshall came to break it up and the guy opened his mouth and said something about challenging the dark dwarf to a vertical jump contest. That got him beat down. In the morning the town was being overrun by a group of desert bandits and a mix of nomadic trolls and he is locked inside the jail.
So the rest of the guys have to break him out of jail while the town is being attacked. Good times.

This has been, by far, the most fun I have had in a game. I attribute that to the easy rules, the unique world, and these guys really pushing for roleplaying their characters and not just going through the motions.

Next weekend is Fading Suns and Ravenloft.

Danoss

Okay, so with the successful backing of the Dinocalypse Trilogy on Kickstarter, I received PDF copies of the PnP RPG 'Spirit of the Century' and its supplement 'Spirit of the Season'.

Spirit of the Century is a pulp RPG which uses the FATE system. It's quite different from anything you may have played before. You use your imagination to create your character, it's not just numbers on a page, your back-story matters and you will have a partly shared back-story with some other players at your table. This back-story forms part of who your character is and also becomes what he/she can do in a very cool way. It's a great method to create your character that ultimately feels less contrived when your characters meet to begin your campaign. That's just chargen, the coolness goes way beyond that.

Why am I rambling on about this? Well, I already own this game and the supplement, so the additional PDFs don't do anything for me. I thought if anyone else would make use of them, I'd give them away. I did first get permission from the appropriate authority:

mBv3D.png

If you want to run this game and don't own a copy, let me know and it's yours. If you're not going to use it, please don't take it. To do the right thing by the company, only one copy will be available, so first come, first served.

SmZA

Has anyone played this? A GMless RPG sounds really interesting, as does the concept.

http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/

I have, a couple of times. It's pretty fun. I believe Wil Wheaton will be playing it in his Youtube show sometime soon.

When I have some time I'll write a bit more about that and about a lot of the other cool games we've played, but now I've got to get back to prepping Burning Wheel.

Edit: beaten with a ten foot pole. Hey Danoss, if you ever make your way to Melbourne maybe we can arrange a seat for you at the table.

dude

dude
Okay, so with the successful backing of the Dinocalypse Trilogy on Kickstarter, I received PDF copies of the PnP RPG 'Spirit of the Century' and its supplement 'Spirit of the Season'.

Spirit of the Century is a pulp RPG which uses the FATE system. It's quite different from anything you may have played before. You use your imagination to create your character, it's not just numbers on a page, your back-story matters and you will have a partly shared back-story with some other players at your table. This back-story forms part of who your character is and also becomes what he/she can do in a very cool way. It's a great method to create your character that ultimately feels less contrived when your characters meet to begin your campaign. That's just chargen, the coolness goes way beyond that.

Why am I rambling on about this? Well, I already own this game and the supplement, so the additional PDFs don't do anything for me. I thought if anyone else would make use of them, I'd give them away. I did first get permission from the appropriate authority:

mBv3D.png

If you want to run this game and don't own a copy, let me know and it's yours. If you're not going to use it, please don't take it. To do the right thing by the company, only one copy will be available, so first come, first served.

I'd love a copy! Our games are always short and change frequently, so I'm pretty sure we'll play it within the next two months.

Kritz

Banned
Danoss I still think you should get an online game of [not DnD] going with AusGAF. Something without many stats to worry about, but still some reliance on mechanics for anyone who isn't too well versed in roleplaying yet.

I still really want to play Cthulu at some point in my life.

Alternatively,

Fuck I wish Tasmania had a tabletop community.

Danoss

I've tried man, the interest just isn't there. I was going to run Call of Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu, most likely the latter. I think they'd be great games to begin with, I'll just make some pre-gen characters for people to play, which'll be fine as I'm just starting off with a one-shot to test the water.

The good thing with those games is that they're not really railroady, though they are more constrained than a lot of other games so it's not overwhelming for new or rusty players. You can RP if you want (which is more fun of course) or you can describe what your character does if you're shy or new, there's no penalty except missing some flavour and atmosphere. The investigation is great to get players interacting a bit, whether in-character or not, so it should be fun.

I've got two people noted as interested, but I'm aiming for four. I'm going to put out one last call tomorrow and see what happens.

SmZA

I would be up for it, depending on what night you're playing.

I haven't played Trail, but my group did before I joined. They spent almost a year on Masks of Nyarlathotep and here's the AP. It's an entertaining read.

Recently started playing D&D (3.5 rules) with an online group that meets over Skype for a session once a week. It's fun, although one guy is overbearing and wants everything to be combat and no talking. It's making me itch to play more, though, as I suddenly have the urge to build all kinds of characters and stuff.

Danoss

I would be up for it, depending on what night you're playing.

I haven't played Trail, but my group did before I joined. They spent almost a year on Masks of Nyarlathotep and here's the AP. It's an entertaining read.

Surprisingly the group filled up pretty quickly when I made the final announcement. I wanted to keep it within the AusGAF community if possible, since everyone knows eachother, but would have gladly invited you in if the numbers weren't there. Sorry if this is a dissapointment. On the bright side, you've got a regular gaming group, which can't be said for the AusGAF members.

I'll have to check out the AP report, I really want to run Masks at some point, once I improve my GM chops.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
This season on Encounters is coming to a close, and after 5 seasons of DM ming. I'm taking a break to play for a change.

However, picked up the Pathfinder box and the book. So, might be DM-ing something different.

This season on Encounters is coming to a close, and after 5 seasons of DM ming. I'm taking a break to play for a change.

However, picked up the Pathfinder box and the book. So, might be DM-ing something different.

Welcome. The grass really is greener on this side of the fence. It took me forever to realize, (I fought against Pathfinder my whole time playing 4E), but Paizo really is Gamers making product for Gamers.

If you have any questions, fire away and I'll try to help. The message boards over at Paizo.com are pretty awesome as well.

Enjoy your stay. :)

dude

dude
So, we played out Deadlands classic game today, our conclusions, in short: Great setting, horrible, horrible system.

The session had 7 players in the Posse and me as the Marshal. We got everything set up - a poker set, 4 decks of cards, maaaany sets of dice and even some whiskey and beans. We immediately found out that the table needed for this game is about two times the one we had, but never mind. I had to print out 10 pages for myself - Several tables, a combat cheat sheet and some other information. So, we set out to play The Last Stop, a Deadland adventure aimed at beginners.

The adventure was cool enough, many awesome concepts and the writing was pretty excellent all around. In genera, the world is very cool, it's full of awesome fluff and has some great potential for pulpy-mystery story lines. For those not in the know, read the summary in the wikipedia article. It's this cool blend of horror, steam punk and the wild west. The book is full of atmosphere (even in skill names, with the shooting skill called Shootin' and such.), even the names of some of the rules are cool, like The Big Round Down and such. The game started out, players were talking, it was pretty fun, thing were moving nicely... and than the rolls came. The game slowly grind to a halt as we all had to try and play around one of the most horrible set of mechanics I've ever seen.
All that awesome adventure and setting? We could never really focus on all that because of the system. if anyone here believes that the system or crunch is not important, this game shows how much it is. Everything is so slow, so cumbersome, so... awkward, that you can barely focus on any of the role-playing because you have so many numbers and so many different parameters and props going around.
For starters, this system, has no less than three types of completely different tools needed - at least 5 sets of D20 dice (ideally, per goddamn player), about a 100 differently colored poker chips, at least 2 decks of 54 playing cards (if you have a spellcaster you need more) - and that doesn't include recommended but not mandatory stuff like miniatures and five differently colored paper clips. The basic idea is that each trait you have is actually the type of die you need to roll, and how much you have in a skill (aptitude) is how many of that die you roll. If that sound horribly cumbersome and idiotic on paper, it's even worse in practice - every player is constantly looking at what die and how many of it to roll, and the insane amount of rolling makes every action takes forever while everyone is calibrating the information. Also, no system should ever, ever, make you add together 3-4 rolls and than divide the sum by 6. Let alone do that every time you do damage.
And the modifiers, and the "if - than"s, and the tables... The system made some great effort to get players to role play, with a nice edges and hindrances system and getting you in the mood, but it's all useless because in the actual game, we barely even got to know the character or what they were because we were too busy with the mechanics. The battle was so slow, we didn't even describe our actions just to get things moving.

I think one of the lessons here - A system is important. It might not make the game, but it can definitely break it. Maybe the system would have worked better with 3 players, but I don't see any way in hell to make this system not get in the way of your game.

We also got a more positive experience from a short My Life with Master play we did, which I'll write about soon :)

Nairume

Banned
Yeah, having now played the Savage Worlds version of Deadlands, it is impossible to go back to the old one.

SW took all the good elements of DL Classic and stripped out all of that clunk that seemed to kill it for you.

dude

dude
Yeah, having now played the Savage Worlds version of Deadlands, it is impossible to go back to the old one.

SW took all the good elements of DL Classic and stripped out all of that clunk that seemed to kill it for you.

I haven't played Savage Worlds yet, but seeing how they kept the "traits are die types and aptitudes are how many dice you roll" thing, I sort of don't even want to play it now.
It just sounds like a slightly simplified version of Deadlands - But still cumbersome as hell. I don't see how anything that requires you to roll 4d8 and the player next to you 2d6 (for the same action) can be quick or simple...
I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt because of the love it gets on the web, but I'm very skeptical.

My personal preference: In a simple system, you never roll more than two dice at a time (and you roll them as seldom as possible) and you never do any mathematical operation that is more complicated than adding or subtracting two single digit numbers.

Karak

My personal preference: In a simple system, you never roll more than two dice at a time (and you roll them as seldom as possible) and you never do any math operation that is more complicating than adding or subtracting two single digit numbers.

THIS right fucking here! So agreed.

Danoss

So Mouse Guard got a full writeup on the PA Report. Any exposure for the little guys to encourage people to look past the heavyweights of the industry or even attract them to try it in the first place is excellent.

I've been hearing great things about new gamers being exposed to tabletop games at PAX. I hope the trend continues, these guys deserve to be far more successful than they are.

Nairume

Banned
I haven't played Savage Worlds yet, but seeing how they kept the "traits are die types and aptitudes are how many dice you roll" thing, I sort of don't even want to play it now.
It just sounds like a slightly simplified version of Deadlands - But still cumbersome as hell. I don't see how anything that requires you to roll 4d8 and the player next to you 2d6 (for the same action) can be quick or simple...
I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt because of the love it gets on the web, but I'm very skeptical.

My personal preference: In a simple system, you never roll more than two dice at a time (and you roll them as seldom as possible) and you never do any mathematical operation that is more complicated than adding or subtracting two single digit numbers.
This is actually what SW did to change things up. While attributes (and skills) are still tied to die types, you only ever roll the one die and then a single d6 as the wild die, and then you just take the higher of the two. The only time you ever roll more than two dice is when calculating damage.

Top Bottom