• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

tranciful

That's why I don't get why TT was so popular and people were acting like it was heroin. I felt like I ran out of the currency so quickly. It might have lasting value but i wouldn't say it was "addictive" because of how little I could play it per session.

Try Hero Academy if you haven't already

senador

Banned
I'll probably do what I did with Tiny Tower and spend $5 or so to support @eeen and Nimblebit, and to also speed up the slow beginning of the game. Actually I don't know if it'll be slow, but I'd guess it will be.

IN. My days and months of Tiny Tower obsession can now come to a close. My only concern is that this won't be as friendly to control and manage as TT.

Let me spin this game for you non-believers: this looks like as close as you are going to get to Koei's old games for the current and future generation.

Tiktaalik

Looks interesting.

I wonder if this will be deep enough to fill the Aerobiz Supersonic shaped hole in my life, or if I'll have to dig out my SNES and play game that yet again.

surprised people haven't tried to do something with this before.

real time flights like from say, shanghai to atlanta = ~14 hours.

Seems perfect for this genre.

And

#Neogaf is a boring tag. I think #GafAir works better ;)

FerranMG

So, Thursday midnight means one minute after Wednesday 23:59, or one minute after Thursday 23:59?
I will never understand this time conventions. :/

Damnit, I'll have to wait till tomorrow morning to download this. This game came just in time, I just finished Tiny Tower last week.

GameCenter: rock bogard

Chopper

Tetrasides said:
I personally don't have an NZ account... but I would say just wait until it releases in your country
I did it anyway. I'm on my day off today, and don't fancy staying up much past midnight getting to grips with it. So far, so good. The formula is very similar to the likes of Tiny Tower, and costumes etc. are ripped straight out of that game.

Still no full screen on the iPad!

Cash is a little bit sparse at this early stage (I'm at level 3), but fortunately most flights only take 2-5 minutes.

I already fucked up by buying the Muscat airport, which was far too far away for any of my planes to reach. I got a bit excited by the #GafAir stuff, but actually have no idea how it works.

So far, bux seem relatively easy to come by. I've completed at least 5 missions that reward bux instead of coins, and I've even caught a few mid-flight.

I can see myself spending just as much time with this as I did with Tiny Tower (which is frightening), as there is huuuuuge scope for expanding and optimizing your game.

Also, I discovered, so you don't have to, that costume unlocks are locked to that plane, which is a bit lame. Also, the notification bar at the top covers the cargo capacity/type of your planes for a couple of seconds. This has annoyed me a bit so far.

Otherwise, all good. Welcome back Nimblebit!

Mik2121

So... 6 minutes left until it releases in Japan?

Also, I'm all for #GafAir (or #GAFAIR, #GAFAir, etc..).

Edit: Never mind, Pocket Planes is already available in the JP Store. Downloading!

Chopper

Easy to make a NZ account without having to add billing info? How?
Log out of iTunes account, and then go to buy the game. You will be prompted to log in or create an account. Create a new NZ account, and because e game you have chosen to download is free, an option to enter "None" at the payment details page will appear. Game on.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Log out of iTunes account, and then go to buy the game. You will be prompted to log in or create an account. Create a new NZ account, and because e game you have chosen to download is free, an option to enter "None" at the payment details page will appear. Game on.

Thanks

How do I view the product page though, the link in the OP just tells me it's not available in US even when I'm signed out

Oh, I guess I was suppose to be doing this on my phone, not in iTunes itself

That's what I thought! Although, I think we may be a bit screwed if we want to buy any IAPs.

not really. when the US version comes out, download it on your pc. then update your ipad. it should replace the nz game with the US game and keep everything. i remember doing this for pocket frogs and tiny tower.

edit: what the hell Ottawa? you dont have any work!!?!?! i think im understanding why though. smaller airports(black nodes) have less work then blue, which have less work than red. also for those who dont know, its worth your while to look at flights(boring as they are) as bux and coins fly by you that you can pick up.

Mik2121

Wow... this is pretty cool! And the sound... the cabin sound is kind of relaxing, lol!.

Anyway, barely started so I'm only working in 3 airports (Osaka, Sendai and Sapporo) in Japan, and done 11 flights. Got another 4 flights going on right now.

Oh, and they're way faster, not real time (thank god!). So basically a flight from Osaka to Sendai (you'll want to check the distance in Google Maps?) is about 4 minutes or 5, depending on the plane. I only have small cheap planes right now....

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just put in the #gafair flight crew in my game. Not sure if I'm actually in it. Not sure what I'm doing in the game, I guess I'll need to fool around a bit to learn what to actually do

Mik2121

I just put in the #gafair flight crew in my game. Not sure if I'm actually in it. Not sure what I'm doing in the game, I guess I'll need to fool around a bit to learn what to actually do

Supposedly it works as soon as you type #gafair.

What's missing and would have been awesome is some option to actually being able to see other crew's airplanes flying around...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like the elevator meta game this time is tapping on coins when your planes in the air. Seems random though.

Uses vibrate when your planes land...don't think you can turn it off...hmm

you can tweet Bitbook and your planes straight from the game

HBP

Looks like the elevator meta game this time is tapping on coins when your planes in the air. Seems random though.

Uses vibrate when your planes land...don't think you can turn it off...hmm

Needs vibration for turbulence lol.

Coins really does feel random but owell.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't think it does server side saves, at least it didn't work when I tried to load from iPad

Seems like the best way to get bucks is simply converting cash to bucks. About 500 coins for a bux. Oh wait, it goes the other way around. Get 500 coins for exchanging 1 bux. Hmm

Mik2121

Woo.. just started my first international flight, from Nagasaki (Japan) to Vladivostok (Russia). LOL!

At first I was kind of confused about the parts you get when you buy new airports, but now it makes sense. Hopefully I can get enough parts to build another plane soon :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is it better to buy parts? I just simply bought a whole plane for my first purchase

Also, don't make airports far apart. Planes have different range and if you don't have airports in between to make stops, you'll be screwed

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Any confirmation if it backs up saves online like Tiny Tower?

Confirmed to use iCloud: http://twitter.com/eeen/status/212647281365749761

Here's what I've done:

Step 1: Sign out of your account on iTunes and change to the NZ store, search for Pocket Planes and attempt to download
Step 2: Create a new apple id, because the app is free you don't have to put in billing details but you will need an address/phone number, I think.
Step 3: Log into NZ account on iPhone and download the app
Step 4: After it's installed, but before starting the app, log back into your proper account and start playing, it'll sync with iCloud and Game Centre using your real account.
Step 5: Start ignoring anything else in life.

Meier

FUUUU, I am tempted to pull a Wario and create a NZ account to get this. Didn't really give it much thought when I saw the tweet till this thread reminded me exactly what Pocket Planes is.

I'll probably do what I did with Tiny Tower and spend $5 or so to support @eeena and Nimblebit, and to also speed up the slow beginning of the game. Actually I don't know if it'll be slow, but I'd guess it will be.

I only paid $1, but I did it the same thing in Tiny Tower and I think I gave them a dollar or two for Pocket Frogs as well. Totally deserved.

Top Bottom