• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poisoft launches Kickstarter Campaign to localize Order Land for Switch/XB1/PC

jbug617

Banned
Their goal is 5 million yen (around $44,500). PS4 version is a stretch goal at 6 million yen (around $53,500)
This project is seeking support for translation costs to develop an English version of "Order Land!" that released in Japan for Nintendo Switch.In one word,"Order Land!" is "King simulation + Training Hero ADV + Hero adventure RPG".There are thousands of text to express these appropriately to make it English, so the translation expenses will become larger than usual for releasing this wonderful game other than Japanese.

However, we found a wonderful paradise called Kickstarter. We really would like everyone in the world to enjoy "Order Land!" so we would like to request for the assistance!

When the funds reached 5 million yen, it will be translated from Japanese to English properly "Order Land!" and released on STEAM(PC), Xbox Live, Nintendo Switch North America / Europe.
http://gematsu.com/2017/10/kickstarter-campaign-launched-localize-order-land-switch-xbox-one-pc
Kickstarter Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfW5kHFA93Q
Switch Japan Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XPCyFtSajA
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...h-version-switch-steam-xbox-one?ref=discovery

I'm the first backer :D

ZkzaFN6.png

nynt9

To be clear, are they taking a switch exclusive and porting it to PC and Xbox as well? No PS4 is an odd choice unless they have some MS backing. Or am I misreading this?

Fisico

So they did Vroom in the night Sky as well.

The game seems to be 100% text based, but it does look fun somehow.

I think it's one of the first time we see a Japanese based indie publisher try something like that directly, it's a bit amateurish but that does add to the charm of the thing, but even their official trailer for the game has a typo in the title lol.

I will keep an eye on it and see later if I want to put that 1k yen or not. (PS4 SKU as a stretch goal while XB1 is included in the base goal does seem like an obvious bait though)

Also, please tell us a variety of overseas information! (Such as a good translator!)

Ahah, so they haven't decided on a translating company yet?

Game has looked interesting since the WiiWare version all those years ago, but the quality of the translation for this Kickstarter might not be the best way to sell a potential localization.

SirKhalid

To be clear, are they taking a switch exclusive and porting it to PC and Xbox as well? No PS4 is an odd choice unless they have some MS backing. Or am I misreading this?
PS4 is the first stretch goal at 6,000,000 Yen.

I am on mobile, the Kickstarter video really doesn't have subtitles?

also

Banned
Getting more games localized is great and all but the fact that they have yet to partner with any translation company doesn't inspire much confidence. Plus there's the additional ports they are promising. I get the feeling they just pulled a number out of thin air and don't really know what they are getting themselves into, both from the translation cost and game development perspective.

I wish them all the best, though.

Fisico

So they launched the campain at a pretty terrible timeslot, 12AM in Japan which makes it 4-5-6AM in Europe close to midnight in the US east coast and around 9PM on the west coast.

We'll have to see tomorrow if the funding picks up but this is a timid start so far to say the least, they probably didn't have a full scale PR campaign (nor did they have the means to do so) so they will 100% need to rely on word of mouth from their backers.

Nevertheless with a 1.000y goal for the game and upper tiers not being very attractive (2000y for a poster, 4000 for a poster and a mug, 9000 for poster+mug+tshirt) they will litterally need thousands of backers to reach their target, that's an ambitious goal for what's basically an unknown developer whatsoever to almost everyone on western markets.
I don't know if some are following KS campains on a regular basis but that seems like a steep goal to me, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong however.

I don't know if the funding being in yens could have some kind of impact as well, I'm not familiar with how all banks work across Europe and in the US, do they all allow for other currencies transactions?
Anyway, even if marginal, I could see that being inconvenient enough for some.

Santar

I agree that having the donations be in yen might be a hindrance to the campaign's success.
I know I prefer to easily tell how much money they need and how much all the tiers are.
I think people are scared off by the unknown currency and seemingly large sum of money required, not knowing yen is a lot lower in value than a dollar.
Then again, you could argue that a lot of the people that would donate to this campaign would know these things.
I just think it would be a real shame if this fails, it could help open up for more localization campaigns if it succeeded.

DiscoJer

It probably would have helped if the pledges weren't in yen. It's like they are asking Japanese people to support it, not the intended audience.

mclem

It probably would have helped if the pledges weren't in yen. It's like they are asking Japanese people to support it, not the intended audience.

Yeah, that struck me; it's a bit different, because as someone completely fine with thinking in dollars (and natively used to pounds and euros), I came away from this one very much not having a handle on the values involved. It's a bit of a barrier to impulse-pledging which I think would be essential for a project like this to meet its goal.

Edit: Would benefit from more digital-only rewards, too. Considered the poster pledge level, but postage equal to the pledge level for UK shipping's a bit too rich for my blood.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

The most requested platform is the highest tier in order to get more $$$. Makes total sense and happened to the WiiU a lot of times (not a lot would request a XBO version).

Glad the PS4 is high tier so an Xbox One version will actually happen if it makes it there.

Yeah, there's some weird errors even in the quoted text "There are thousands of text to express these appropriately to make it English"

Vinnk

I agree that having the donations be in yen might be a hindrance to the campaign's success.
I know I prefer to easily tell how much money they need and how much all the tiers are.
I think people are scared off by the unknown currency and seemingly large sum of money required, not knowing yen is a lot lower in value than a dollar.
Then again, you could argue that a lot of the people that would donate to this campaign would know these things.
I just think it would be a real shame if this fails, it could help open up for more localization campaigns if it succeeded.

When you use the KS app it shows the money conversion automatically. But yeah, they should do something for the web version.

There are dozens and dozens of grammatical errors in the Kickstarter. I don't wish anything but the best to the team, but no way are they going to get my money for a translation project when they haven't even demonstrated fluency in English.

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
The game looks really interesting and the goal seems low enough. I'll probably pledge for this. Hopefully the final product has a better translation than what they have shown in the Kickstarter

Vinnk

There are dozens and dozens of grammatical errors in the Kickstarter. I don't wish anything but the best to the team, but no way are they going to get my money for a translation project when they haven't even demonstrated fluency in English.

I think (hope) the plan is to hire a professional translator with the money. Not to do it themselves.

Fisico

I think (hope) the plan is to hire a professional translator with the money. Not to do it themselves.

Unless I misunderstood the video, that's exactly what the kickstarter seems to be for.

They even went so far as to ridiculize themselves to show that they need funds to hire profesionnal translators.

d+pad

Well, I don't have high hopes for this one after the tepid response it's seen so far, but I backed it anyway!

Instro

Looks pretty cool, and ~$10 doesn't seem so bad. I'll take a toss at it, Poisoft is at least a legitimate develope. I've seen some stories start to pop up about this over the last day or so, would hopefully people will start noticing.

Top Bottom