• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

I just want to get like Solgaleo, Incineroar, Umbreon and Lillie. Everything else is irrelevant.

Which versions are you looking for, and how much are you looking to pay for those? I have versions of all of those on eBay right now.

I buy booster boxes with the intent on selling whilst also keeping the cards I want for building decks. However it sucks having to pay eBay's fees. I'd sell them privately, but not sure of a good, consistent way of doing so where I could could get the same kind of prices I would on eBay.

Are there rules against listing them and their prices here?

For the record, I've bought some booster boxes and performed the trick to pull all the Ultra Rares. I have listed the remaining booster packs on eBay, but I've clearly indicated that they've been "weighed" and are unlikely to contain Ultra Rares as I don't want to fuck people over.

JoeM86

Bought a few random boosters at a league night my girlfriend too me to
C4kijscWIAQJ2k9.jpg

Boom

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I got to say that as someone who came back to the TCG last year (after being inactive for 15 years) there's something that I find quite perplexing. What's with all the Premium gates?

While looking around and doing research I find it weird that more than often I'm reading an article and eventually I have to stop reading it because I run into a sign that basically says please pay a subscription fee to keep reading or kindly screw off.

Is gating information a common practice with other TCGs at the moment? The closest thing I can think of that was even close to this back in the day were the Pojo's Pokemon Magazines. Yeah there's the argument of supporting the websites/community but some of these prices are quite high in my opinion.

There's also a lack of community tools available for example there's an absence of a good card database (I heard someone is working hard on one right now though) and I keep having to trudge through Bulbapedia which suck on mobile phones and there doesn't seem to be any Deck Building Apps or Websites that I know so I have keep having to open Microsoft Word to make one.

I got to say that as someone who came back to the TCG last year (after being inactive for 15 years) there's something that I find quite perplexing. What's with all the Premium gates?

While looking around and doing research I find it weird that more than often I'm reading an article and eventually I have to stop reading it because I run into a sign that basically says please pay a subscription fee to keep reading or kindly screw off.

Is gating information a common practice with other TCGs at the moment? The closest thing I can think of that was even close to this back in the day were the Pojo's Pokemon Magazines. Yeah there's the argument of supporting the websites/community but some of these prices are quite high in my opinion.

There's also a lack of community tools available for example there's an absence of a good card database (I heard someone is working hard on one right now though) and I keep having to trudge through Bulbapedia which suck on mobile phones and there doesn't seem to be any Deck Building Apps or Websites that I know so I have keep having to open Microsoft Word to make one.

Use the online game for building decks. You can choose to show cards you don't own in the online game, and build prospective decks that way. It's also good for looking up specific card details.

Wow wow wow. Tapu Lele-GX is insane
Yeah I can see this card being used

So after seeing that thread in Gaming and now the impressions here what i'm getting is: buy the cards themselves and not boxes or booster packs. Sound about right?
Buy one booster box then loads of packs (just ever other third one)

Bought a few random boosters at a league night my girlfriend too me to
Boom
Damn!

Dunno but it's weird

There's forums such as serebii, here, reddit pkmntcg and a few others. Just like the FGC, keeps notes on your phone.

N.Domixis

Banned
Am I the only one here that just buys to collect? been at it since they first came out as a kid and have yet to play a single game of it.

Still hoping to find someone wanting to trade TRU promo for Pikachu stamp promo!

Any takers?

I have all 8 Pikachu stamps, sealed and ready.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
There's forums such as serebii, here, reddit pkmntcg and a few others. Just like the FGC, keeps notes on your phone.

I'm pretty sure Joe is so tired of hearing this critism/complaint/request but I wouldn't mind browsing through Serebii some more and it's forums if it was Mobile Friendly.

Six Prizes and Pokebeach are good sites too but they suffer from a lack of Mobile Website support and they both gate a bulk of their articles via subscriptions.

60cards it's an alright website and I visit the Reddit page nearly every day.

As for YouTube I mostly just follow PTCGRadio but I occasionally watch content by other PTCG Youtubers but I don't subscribe to them.

The Pokellector App would be a perfect database if it wasn't for the constant adds (I wouldn't mind buying the app to get rid of them) and the fact that everything in that app is web based so it needs a constant cellular/wifi connection to work and it's not a snappy responder whenever you click or open anything.

Use the online game for building decks. You can choose to show cards you don't own in the online game, and build prospective decks that way. It's also good for looking up specific card details.

I'm aware that I can use the game but I wished something similar to the Decked Builder app (Used for Magic) was available for the PTCG.

JoeM86

Not to shill but I do have a decent card database, but it may be bad on mobile, my site's not that friendly to mobile.

Also, my girlfriend uses Pokellector to keep track of the cards she has

I'm pretty sure Joe is so tired of hearing this critism/complaint/request but I wouldn't mind browsing through Serebii some more and it's forums if it was Mobile Friendly.

It's so bloody hard to get the right balance between navigation and mobile friendly

Xion_Stellar

Not to shill but I do have a decent card database, but it may be bad on mobile, my site's not that friendly to mobile.

Also, my girlfriend uses Pokellector to keep track of the cards she has

It's so bloody hard to get the right balance between navigation and mobile friendly

Well first and foremost I will say that despite my single minor qualm with your website I do appreciate all the time, energy and effort that you have poured into the website as I have been going there at least once a week since Generation III.

I won't pretend to know the hurdles of website development so I can't give you an informed opinion on the lack of a mobile website or making your website mobile friendly but you have to understand that zooming and having to recenter a web page every time I open a new link in your website gets old real fast.

A perfect compromise for Pokellector to be a perfect card database is if I'm giving the option to buy a premium version off the app that gets rids of the ads and makes the app work offline and stop being so reliant on a internet connection but I'm not sure if the author is unable or unwilling to do that specially when he would be trading long term ad money for short term gain.

As for your Cardex Joe the mobile issues aside the only thing that's stopping me from using it over Bulbapedia is that I couldn't find a way to look through sets so if for example I wanted to look at every card released on the Sun & Moon set I couldn't find a way to achieve that.

JoeM86

Well first and foremost I will say that despite my single minor qualm with your website I do appreciate all the time, energy and effort that you have poured into the website as I have been going there at least once a week since Generation III.

I won't pretend to know the hurdles of website development so I can't give you an informed opinion on the lack of a mobile website or making your website mobile friendly but you have to understand that zooming and having to recenter a web page every time I open a new link in your website gets old real fast.

A perfect compromise for Pokellector to be a perfect card database is if I'm giving the option to buy a premium version off the app that gets rids of the ads and makes the app work offline and stop being so reliant on a internet connection but I'm not sure if the author is unable or unwilling to do that specially when he would be trading long term ad money for short term gain.

As for your Cardex Joe the mobile issues aside the only thing that's stopping me from using it over Bulbapedia is that I couldn't find a way to look through sets so if for example I wanted to look at every card released on the Sun & Moon set I couldn't find a way to achieve that.

Toolbar on the left hand side, in the TCG section, it lists sets.

You can select English sets for a list of all the English sets which then takes you to that set, or you can just select Sun & Moon as the most recent sets are also in that toolbar :)

Xion_Stellar

Toolbar on the left hand side, in the TCG section, it lists sets.

You can select English sets for a list of all the English sets which then takes you to that set, or you can just select Sun & Moon as the most recent sets are also in that toolbar :)
I completely missed that for some reason because I had previously accessed your Cardex through a Google search instead of navigating to it through your website and it didn't occurred to me that you listed the sets the same way you listed the video games in the video game section of the tool bar.

Welp this changes things when I'm not doing research on my cellphone I will be using your website instead of Bulbapedia now.

On a slightly related news is there any particular reason you don't cover TCG news? Or did I somehow missed that section too? Because I see you cover the video games,anime and mobile app but I don't recall ever seeing TCG news on the front page...Or perhaps you feel like it's better off if you leave that to Pokebeach and the likes instead?

Six Prizes and Pokebeach are good sites too but they suffer from a lack of Mobile Website support and they both gate a bulk of their articles via subscriptions.

60cards it's an alright website and I visit the Reddit page nearly every day.

As for YouTube I mostly just follow PTCGRadio but I occasionally watch content by other PTCG Youtubers but I don't subscribe to them.

The Pokellector App would be a perfect database if it wasn't for the constant adds (I wouldn't mind buying the app to get rid of them) and the fact that everything in that app is web based so it needs a constant cellular/wifi connection to work and it's not a snappy responder whenever you click or open anything.

I'm aware that I can use the game but I wished something similar to the Decked Builder app (Used for Magic) was available for the PTCG.

yeah I don't blame you for that. But the ones you listed are the best really.

Will show the results soon

YOOOO! Make a video or something.

YOOOO! Make a video or something.

I'm trying @.@ haha. Want to find some background music that won't get me lit up by the copy write bot.

I opened the Steam Siege set already but decided to go to the gym after since it was like... 11:00pm at that point. Will do the Sun and Moon tonight after the super important ramen festival ;p

RkOwnage

I have a huge collection of X and Y gen cards I am looking to sell, does anyone have a recommendation of where to sell them? Looking for somewhere to sell them as a set.

johnsmith

remember me
They release a Lycanroc box, but they don't include a Rockruff card. TPCI what are you doing. Gonna have to find those blisters to get some.

Does anyone know where to look up japanese decks? I heard there's a Garbordor/Lycanroc deck doing well in the japanese scene, but I have no idea where to look

Also this looks pretty good

Mallow – Trainer
Supporter
Choose 2 cards from your deck and shuffle the rest of your deck. Put the chosen cards on top of your deck in any order.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
(It's a reprint of Oracle from Skyridge!)

XXk8mDN.png

MANUELF

Banned
It is only worth it for new players and collectors. Like any other TCG it's always better to buy the singles you need (i have learnt this the hard way)

Well Im new since before this I only had the Lucha Pikachu and Suicune trainer kit plus a single evolutions pack and I still feel my money got stolen

MANUELF

Banned
Never mind, wasn't a booster box.

I saw all the boxes on the store, no one had those pokeball logos which is not that rare since they would need to be opened at customs, all the packs were sealed

Edit: I saw your edit :D

PS: just claimed the codes on the online game, it was even worse, didnt get a single break or EX

The box was a waste of money, out of 8 packs I got a Break, 2 reverse rares and 2 holos
That sucks but as I was saying before, the Elite Trainer Box is good if you don't have all the tokens and stuff. Did you get any of the cards stated earlier? Talonflame, Talonflame Break, Sycamore, Ultra Ball, Yanmega, Hawlucha, Ninja Boy, Joltik and so much more ! Steam Siege is one of the most solid sets out there. So many damn good cards that I would honestly consider it the best set out there to purchase and get going. Even Roaring Skies has less decent cards in that set. Outside of shinies and Breaks, I'd be surprised if you didn't get some amazing pulls you might not have noticed. What did you pull?

I have a huge collection of X and Y gen cards I am looking to sell, does anyone have a recommendation of where to sell them? Looking for somewhere to sell them as a set.
Check out the trading thread on Reddit or simply eBay and Amazon.

Mallow – Trainer
Supporter
Choose 2 cards from your deck and shuffle the rest of your deck. Put the chosen cards on top of your deck in any order.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).
(It's a reprint of Oracle from Skyridge!)

XXk8mDN.png

I'm definiltey on the Mallow is situational. I like the card and while I disagree with using a Supporter into Supporter for 2 turn combo, this can provide some great synergy With Professor Kukui as Kukui draws the next 2 cards. So for example for me using Greninja Break, if you set up Mallow for 2 energy, next turn I can use Professor Kukui to draw 2 energy which guarantees I can Break Ability Switch and get the damage if needed. I think it's a great card but only for certain cards. Using it in the Vespiquen deck I think is a must. For a deck that all about your discarded Pokemon, this is amazing.

For expanded, this a Night March must as well.

MANUELF

Banned
That sucks but as I was saying before, the Elite Trainer Box is good if you don't have all the tokens and stuff. Did you get any of the cards stated earlier? Talonflame, Talonflame Break, Sycamore, Ultra Ball, Yanmega, Hawlucha, Ninja Boy, Joltik and so much more ! Steam Siege is one of the most solid sets out there. So many damn good cards that I would honestly consider it the best set out there to purchase and get going. Even Roaring Skies has less decent cards in that set. Outside of shinies and Breaks, I'd be surprised if you didn't get some amazing pulls you might not have noticed. What did you pull?
From those you said I got Hawlucha, Ninja Boy and Joltik, nothing else , my holos were Infernape and Hydreigon, the Break was Yanmega(didnt get the normal one....) and the reverse rares were Bastiodon and Toxicroak

johnsmith

remember me
Supposed 1st day results of Anaheim. Looks like Sun/Moon had minimal impact other than playing Tauros in Yveltal. Still really want to see how tomorrow ends up though.

1. Lawrence Xu - Turbo Darkrai EX
2. Ryan Sabelhaus - M Mewtwo EX/Garbodor
3. Daniel Lynch - Vespiquen/Herdier/Zoroark
4. Jimmy Pendarvis - Yveltal EX/Garbodor/Tauros GX
5. Ahmed Ali - M Rayquaza EX/Giratina EX
6. Azul Garcia Griego - Yveltal EX/Garbodor/Tauros GX
7. Igor Costa - Yveltal/Garbodor/Tauros GX
8. Drew Kennett - Lurantis GX/Solgaleo GX
9. Mark Garcia - Turbo Darkrai EX
10. Isaiah Williams - Turbo Darkrai EX
11. Christopher Collins - M Mewtwo EX/Garbodor
12. Jeffrey Cheng - Vespiquen/Zoroark
13. Alex Bobenrioth -Turbo Darkrai EX
14. Rahul Reddy - Vespiquen/Zoroark/Eevees
15. Connor Finton - Vespiquen/Zoroark/Zebstrika/Vaporeon
16. John Pham - Turbo Darkrai
17. Tony Jimenez - Turbo Darkrai EX
18. Kenny Britton - Darkrai EX/Giratina EX
19. Noah Sawyer - M Gardevoir EX STS
20. Wade Oliver - M Mewtwo EX/Garbodor
21. Logan Fleming - M Mewtwo/Garbodor
22. John Kettler - Decidueye GX/Tauros GX/Lugia EX/Vileplume
23. Travis Nunlist - M Mewtwo EX/Garbodor/Espeon GX
24. Edgar Garcia - Lapras GX's Water Box
25. Armando Barron - Volcanion EX
26. Michael Del Rosario - M Rayquaza EX/Volcanion
27. Geoffrey Well
28. Raymond Umali - M Rayquaza EX
29. Josh Fernando - Turbo Darkrai EX
30. Jose Marrero - Gyarados
31. Andrew Munoz - Volcanion EX
32. Ross Cawthon - M Mewtwo EX/Garbodor

MKDh2gl.jpg

todd360

I can't wait to see what the sun and moon raichu card looks like. It has to be a full art gx for sure I would think.

JDdelphin

Anyone have any tips as the most cost effective way to sort/organize a collection of cards?

My son's too young to play but suuure loves to collect. I just want to organize things for if he(or I) ever do want to get into playing.

MacAttack

Anyone have any tips as the most cost effective way to sort/organize a collection of cards?

My son's too young to play but suuure loves to collect. I just want to organize things for if he(or I) ever do want to get into playing.
Something like this. for shiny cards. The binders come in a variety of styles and sizes, so I bought smaller versions for my kids that they can bring in to school. For commons/uncommons and staples that might be useful I'll throw them in some cheap sleeves and store them in the box that comes with the elite trainer boxes.

Sell all the bulk/unwanted ex's to a card shop and use it to buy anything specific you might be chasing.

johnsmith

remember me
Is that Missingno in that tiny sliver?

Yeah, people weren't sure what 1 guy was playing, turned out to be Rainbow Road.

Top 8 Anaheim (winner hasn't been decided yet)

Lawrence Xu (32) - Turbo Dark
Igor Costa (32) - Yveltal/Tauros
Ryan Sablehaus (31) Mewtwo
Rahul Reddy (31) - Vespiquen/Zoroark
Kenny Britton (31) - DarkTina
Jeffrey Cheng (30) - Vespiquen/Zoroark
Tony Jimenez (30) - Turbo Dark
Travis Nunlist (30) -M Mewtwo/Espeon

yep that's a cock. Thanks

Yeah, people weren't sure what 1 guy was playing, turned out to be Rainbow Road.

Top 8 Anaheim (winner hasn't been decided yet)

Lawrence Xu (32) - Turbo Dark
Igor Costa (32) - Yveltal/Tauros
Ryan Sablehaus (31) Mewtwo
Rahul Reddy (31) - Vespiquen/Zoroark
Kenny Britton (31) - DarkTina
Jeffrey Cheng (30) - Vespiquen/Zoroark
Tony Jimenez (30) - Turbo Dark
Travis Nunlist (30) -M Mewtwo/Espeon

This is just the beginning for Decidueye GX. That card is incredible.

MacAttack

yep that's a cock. Thanks

This is just the beginning for Decidueye GX. That card is incredible.

Im playing Decidueye/Lugia/Tauros in standard and Seismitoad/Decidueye in expanded and they are both a lot of fun.
Totally netdecked.

I have three copies Decidueye, do I need a fourth? Seems unnecessary in the limited time I've used them.

Im playing Decidueye/Lugia/Tauros in standard and Seismitoad/Decidueye in expanded and they are both a lot of fun.
Totally netdecked.

I have three copies Decidueye, do I need a fourth? Seems unnecessary in the limited time I've used them.

Do it for fun. It's a stupid good deck. I think Lugia works because of the Stadium Bonus but I think using a Ninja Boy is an unused tech for this which works amazingly with Tauros.

Just did this online
When a single Wailord EX wins by doing nothing but laming you out like it's Street Fighter x Tekken. Love it. Salt.

MacAttack

Do it for fun. It's a stupid good deck. I think Lugia works because of the Stadium Bonus but I think using a Ninja Boy is an unused tech for this which works amazingly with Tauros.

Just did this online

When a single Wailord EX wins by doing nothing but laming you out like it's Street Fighter x Tekken. Love it. Salt.

Reaction when you play Ninja Boy + Tauros on an unsuspecting player:

Christopher-Lloyd-Sudden-Realization.gif

Reaction when you play Ninja Boy + Tauros on an unsuspecting player:

Devolution Spray I think is also a must.

-Reaction of the opponent when you use Decidueye GX 1's Ability and then Decidueye GX 2's Ability and then Decidueye GX 3's Ability.

-Then you use Devolution spray on Decidueye 1, Decidueye 2, Decidueye 3.

-Then you evolve Dartrix 1, Dartrix 2, Dartrix 3 into Decidueye GX 1, Decidueye 2 GX Decidueye GX 2.

- Then you use Decidueye GX 1's Ability and then Decidueye GX 2's Ability and then Decidueye GX 3's Ability.

Congrats, on turn 1 you (the turn you aren't even allowed to attack on), managed to deal 120 damage killing major evolution starters (and any backup 60HP benches), set up Pokemon and/or severely damaging all other set up Pokemon such as Talonflame and even killing a Shaymin EX.

Calling it now but Decidueye GX is a phenomenal deck. Even without Tauros it just stands so flipping on it's own that it's basically Gill from Third Strike. It's Greninja with a stronger set up, less evolutions and no energy required. It's ridiculous.

MacAttack

That's one hell of a lucky opening hand!

edit: spoke too soon, just got 2 out of 3 Decidueye setup on turn one and got the third one to stage 1 (my last one was prized). I also ended up with two hammers (which could have been devo. spray had I put them in the deck) and an ultra ball that could have grabbed the third owl. Pretty good. The key cards from expanded being Battle Compressor and Revitalizer with help from Shaymin and Forest of Giant Plants.

Which versions are you looking for, and how much are you looking to pay for those? I have versions of all of those on eBay right now.

I buy booster boxes with the intent on selling whilst also keeping the cards I want for building decks. However it sucks having to pay eBay's fees. I'd sell them privately, but not sure of a good, consistent way of doing so where I could could get the same kind of prices I would on eBay.

Are there rules against listing them and their prices here?

For the record, I've bought some booster boxes and performed the trick to pull all the Ultra Rares. I have listed the remaining booster packs on eBay, but I've clearly indicated that they've been "weighed" and are unlikely to contain Ultra Rares as I don't want to fuck people over.
Solgaleo I kinda want Hyper Rare but i know that's gonna cost me a pretty penny. Same for Umbreon. Lillie i'm looking for that full art. Incineroar i just want a GX. I'm just in it to collect the cards I like, don't really want to play so I want to get the best looking version of those cards.

Top Bottom