• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the new page:
chespin7biv9.gif

fennekinuufip.gif

froakiekzivq.gif

So, where do the names come from?

Chespin has probably something to do with chestnuts and spin? Spin, because it may spin while it digs.
Fennekin is obviously fennec and... kin?
Froakie is frog and....?

Chespin is chestnut and pin (since he's a hedgehog), I think you've got Fennekin spot on, and Froakie could just be frog and croak. Its beard and glasses could play into its name in some way we're missing, though.

The Lamp

The million dollar question :
CAN MY POKEMON FOLLOW ME AROUND THIS TIME?

Seriously every gen its like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

I will be cautiously optimistic about this gen. I got burned out on the Pokemon formula when I played Diamond, and when I worked at GameStop in 2011 I rented Black version and was extremely disappointed because it felt like the same old shit. Everyone had been telling me it was a vast improvement and I didn't feel it at all. I hope this gen is fresh enough to hold my interest.

Gravijah

I will be cautiously optimistic about this gen. I got burned out on the Pokemon formula when I played Diamond, and when I worked at GameStop in 2011 I rented Black version and was extremely disappointed because it felt like the same old shit. Every had been telling me it was a vast improvement and I didn't feel it at all. I hope this gen is fresh enough to hold my interest.

it's still likely going to be the same exact formula. if you don't like that, this game will likely not change anything.

Never played a Pokemon game before-- is it just RPG-lite?

RPG-lite would be a misnomer given the fact that the combat system can be deeper than a lot of RPGs.

I will be cautiously optimistic about this gen. I got burned out on the Pokemon formula when I played Diamond, and when I worked at GameStop in 2011 I rented Black version and was extremely disappointed because it felt like the same old shit. Everyone had been telling me it was a vast improvement and I didn't feel it at all. I hope this gen is fresh enough to hold my interest.

Infinite use of TMs dude. B/W changed the game for the better.

But if you dislike the formula then yeah, it isn't for you.

Wiz

It might just be me, but am I the only one who doesn't think this feature is a big deal at all? It was fan service for HG/SS more than anything. Not a step back for the series.

Partition

Banned

I assume yes because the only reason they didnt do it in BW is that they would have to make new sprites for all of them... it was feasible Gen 4 cuz it didn't have all the 3D shit BW had.

With these games they can just use the models that are used in battles. So no excuse really

upandaway

Isn't it pretty obvious that Fennekin is using Flamethrower and Psychic there? All of the starters used some sort of "higher end" attack of their type (looks like Hydro Pump and Solar Beam)

No clue what the second attack is for the other two, though...

Platy

Repulsive
Snivy
Oshawott
Froakie - it looks like a fucking Neopet

C'mon man !
The pokedude never did you anything ... why be so bad to him ? =/

Soon you will be saying that some of those pokes belongs to Monster Rancher and people will look you strangely and when you barely notice you will be in jail for causing trouble

injurai

Banned
Soo excited didn't even check. I didn't make it only added the latest screen and this one now.

pc7YO.png

I have to say the aesthetic choices between RSE to FRLG and then again with DPP to HGSS where pretty immense. Have you seen the water in HGSS compared to DPP?

Though I'm glad that they have really progressed beyond their looked top down presentation of the game.

Wiz

Isn't it pretty obvious that Fennekin is using Flamethrower and Psychic there? All of the starters used some sort of "higher end" attack of their type.

Pretty sure Chespin was using Faint Attack on Golurk.

Grass/Dark line confirmed!

Salsa

I assume yes because the only reason they didnt do it in BW is that they would have to make new sprites for all of them... it was feasible Gen 4 cuz it didn't have all the 3D shit BW had.

With these games they can just use the models that are used in battles. So no excuse really

game is viewed from a third person perspective, having a Pokemon following you would cover the screen/trainer

im gonna go with no

Salsa

Don't bank on it, the first footage almost never has any HUD

yeah too true :(

this time's 3D tho (not just the models but also the effect) so maybe they want the spectacle to take priority

dont see why they cant just move everything to the lower screen

Nope we don't live in a world where Torchic, Treecko, and Snivy aren't in the Genius category.

Torchic is just a little bird. Nothing fantastic about that.

Yea it becomes Blaziken later and thats badass but Torchic itself? Not original enough.

Snivy is a cocky motherfucker. Can't stand him. I like my initial evos to be cute and lovable

In my opinion, all starters are good, but Torchic, Totodile, Oshawott and Chespin rise above the rest.

Can you tell me what you see in Oshawott? Like, I see absolutely no endearing traits. What is it even supposed to be?

Qurupeke

Isn't it pretty obvious that Fennekin is using Flamethrower and Psychic there? All of the starters used some sort of "higher end" attack of their type (looks like Hydro Pump and Solar Beam)

Psychic? Yay, this would confirm that Fennekin is Fire/Psychic. <3

Salsa

I do like that they seem to be sticking with Pokemon based in some sort of animal for the starters

I mean what the fuck was Chikorita supposed to be

Possible Fire/Psychic type?????? Oh god I am hype.

I don't care if that is super shitty competitive typing.

Torchic is just a little bird. Nothing fantastic about that.

And charmander was a lizard...

The Lamp

It might just be me, but am I the only one who doesn't think this feature is a big deal at all? It was fan service for HG/SS more than anything. Not a step back for the series.

Its a huge deal to me. It makes traversal way less boring and more personal. It makes Pokemon feel more like actual companions than made up creatures that only show up in battle scenes. Plus it's just adorable/badass. That was half the appeal of Yellow version. I don't care what anyone says it's damn important to me lol.

So... anyone going to miss the fact that Pokemon games have moved beyond colors? I mean, we all knew the day was coming... but I think I find that saddest of all.

Kyonashi

The fact that I've been reading this thread and people are calling the new starters shit/awesome pretty much equally bodes well actually, imo. I like that people feel strongly about each one and its not like we all agree one is far superior or inferior to the others.

Having said that, Chespin > Fennekin > Froakie. Though I already have a soft spot for all three.

QP3

What are the chances of varying/increased difficulties?

I know b2/w2 had this, but not in the traditional sense....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom