• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tehalemi

Psssh, what's so special about Fennekin?

Fennekin is a boring fox. Nothing special :p

ryan13ts

Nah - the types are perfectly balanced as it is. Dark and Steel were added in Gen II specifically to to correct balancing issues, not to offer more variety.

That may have made sense back then since the series was still very new, but after 5 generations, I believe it's about time to introduce new types for variety AND gameplay balancing.

While adding Dark and Steel did fix some of the balance issues with the original game (Namely the nearly invincible Psychic types of that Gen), it still left some pretty big issues with other types (namely Poison, Ice and Flying) that haven't been corrected or adjusted since Gen II, well over 12 years ago. By adding at least two new types, Game Freak could help balance the game further by giving older types with issues better effectiveness, while breathing new life into what has been very fun, but stagnant gameplay mechaincs.

I'm just saying'....

ffdgh

Eh as if it matters. The fire/fighting get all the attention anyway for some reason tho I'd guess chespin hopefully.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
:lol

When Black and White were released, I decided I'd watch the anime again; it had been so long since I stopped and I was interested. I made it 15 minutes through the first episode and gave up. :(

I did the same thing. I made it about ten episodes in and had to stop. They're basically using the same 'lessons' and concepts from previous season and it's just hilarious how terrible Ash still is.

CorvoSol

both bipedal... but they are pretty different.

It's a similar argument to Bulbasaur and Turtwig being similar and its just plain stupid.

Except neither of those are the argument I'm making. At all. Do you really think I would say two Pokemon were similar just because they were bipedal? I mean, come on. That would make Mewtwo and Regigas similar.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Question from someone who hasn't played since the originals:
Can you fight others online with the DS? Like, can you search out player matches? Are there rankings? How do you decide on rules, if any? I noticed that there are Pokemon "Tiers", and people compete within these tiers (UU, OU, NU, etc.). Or if/when you play online, is everyone running around using the Ubers?

Yeah you can search and fight others online in GTS. And you can pick rules (pick Flat Battle to give you level 50, no same held items, no legendaries).

The tiers and rules within the tier are generally for matches where both parties have agreed to participate - it's not something Nintendo made :p

Totodile's entire line is terrible.

Come at me, lamers

Gen 2 has the blandest starters - especially the final evos. Pretty sure it's the reason GF avoids the 'obvious' evolution method and now goes for the 'surprise!'. I remember them stating post-BW release that they wanted players to not know exactly where the final evolutions where headed just by looking at them (which got ruined when they were leaked anyway and then they announced the 2nd stages in corocoro prior to release anyway).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That may have made sense back then since the series was still very new, but after 5 generations, I believe it's about time to introduce new types for variety AND gameplay balancing.

While adding Dark and Steel did fix some of the balance issues with the original game (Namely the nearly invincible Psychic types of that Gen), it still left some pretty big issues with other types (namely Poison, Ice and Flying) that haven't been corrected or adjusted since Gen II, well over 12 years ago. By adding at least two new types, Game Freak could help balance the game further by giving older types with issues better effectiveness, while breathing new life into what has been very fun, but stagnant gameplay mechaincs.

I'm just saying'....

Poison yeah, but Ice and Flying (and Bug) generally are those types that deal SE to types who generally deal big damage with huge coverage. Ice is Dragon/Ground counter and Flying is generally for dealing with Fighting. Bug is for Psychics/Dark while resisting Ground. Poison needs a buff yeah.

And lol Grass. Oh Grass... you're a poor defensive type... and nothing much else.

Rubius

Eh as if it matters. The fire/fighting get all the attention anyway for some reason tho I'd guess chespin hopefully.

My bets are
Fire/Ground (Fennec Fox are known to dig holes in the ground),
Water/Ice (The foam getting a little crystalized) and
Grass/Steel (Metal Spike that grow from his back)

ryan13ts

Yeah, that's either a bug gym in the trailer, or an extremely elaborate forest.

I'd like to see a dark gym, finally.

Seriously. I can't understand that after all these Generations, we haven't gotten a Dark gym yet. I can only take so many Water type gyms X(

injurai

Banned
Gen 2 has the blandest starters - especially the final evos. Pretty sure it's the reason GF avoids the 'obvious' evolution method and now goes for the 'surprise!'. I remember them stating post-BW release that they wanted players to not know exactly where the final evolutions where headed just by looking at them (which got ruined when they were leaked anyway and then they announced the 2nd stages in corocoro prior to release anyway).

They change a bit too much for my tastes these days. I wish they had a more unified and stronger designs accoss the board, because despite my liking of different forms individually, only gen I and II starters at strong evolution progressions.

Exception would be Turtwig I suppose.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think Torterra may be my favorite Grass starter evo.

I mean good lord, it looks like Bowser with a damn tree growing out of it.

joetachi

They change a bit too much for my tastes these days. I wish they had a more unified and stronger designs accoss the board, because despite my liking of different forms individually, only gen I and II starters at strong evolution progressions.

Exception would be Turtwig I suppose.
even gen one starters change more than get 2

Berordn

Yeah you can search and fight others online in GTS. And you can pick rules (pick Flat Battle to give you level 50, no same held items, no legendaries).

Specifically, rules for playing on Global Battle Union (the ranked matchup mode):

Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys (all formes), Chatot (due to chatter), Dialga, Palkia, Giratina (both formes), Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin (both formes), Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem (all formes), Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect
Banned formes: Theurian Forme Thunderus, Theurian Forme Tornadus, Theurian Forme Landurus
Banned moves: Sky Drop, Dark Void
Species Clause
Item Clause

Naturally, any Pokemon using moves or abilities it is incapable of learning normally is automatically barred from entry.

Besides Infernape is the worst ever.

No one else is offended that they have a flaming primate? My letters to Pita are probably the only reason they took an interest actually.

I... didn't realize at the time that the monkey in the game wasn't real... yeah sorry about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom