• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first shiny I ever ran into was Exeggcute
Spr_4h_102_s.png

Encountered him in the Safari Zone in Heartgold, ran away...you have no idea how upset that made me.
Second and first Shiny I caught was Blitzle in White
Spr_5b_522_s.png

ohlawd

Is it worth giving them names, any real benefits or just for fun? I might start naming them when I start White. (Which may be after or during my current play-through of SoulSilver.)

I started using nicknames for my ingame team in BW2 and I had fun with it.

Krookodile: 4-Eyes
Lucario: Burst
Serperior: Smugleaf (>_>)
Jellicent: MsPringles
Magmortar: Duckface

Acrylic7

The first shiny Pokemon I caught was a Parasect. In the Safari Zone in Leaf Green. That was the most nerve-wracking experience I've ever faced.

My first shiny I ever ran into was Exeggcute
Spr_4h_102_s.png

Encountered him in the Safari Zone in Heartgold, ran away...you have no idea how upset that made me.

I feel you on this.

Shiny Jigglypuff at SafariZone.
Of course I didn't catch it, shit is in fact nearly impossible. :mad:

oh man, finding a shiny in the safari zone has to be the most bittersweet thing ever

It made me turn off the game. Absolutely furious.

Kletian

First Shiny ever was this and not until Platinum -_-

Spr_4p_041_m_s.png

Which was my only one ever until my import copy of White where I acquired

Spr_5b_548_s.png

And if I wasnt paying attention to see the shiny animation I wouldnt have even noticed considering how barely different it is from the original.

Never found a shiny and I finished all pokemon games + got them all in Blue and Sapphire.
Yes, I'm extremely unlucky.

i finished all versions of the games. R/B/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/P/HG/SS/B/W/B2/W2 some of them multiple times. no shinny so far. got most 'mons in every version. as far as i know they don't exist.

Berordn

First Shiny ever was this and not until Platinum -_-

Spr_4p_041_m_s.png

Which was my only one ever until my import copy of White where I acquired

Spr_5b_548_s.png

And if I wasnt paying attention to see the shiny animation I wouldnt have even noticed considering how barely different it is from the original.

I sure hope you evolved them both.

5491fqka.gif
169b7pvb.gif

I wish I could catch a shiny. But I've never ran into one randomly and the way you have to try to find one on purpose seems way too time consuming.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've played like 500 hours of Pokemon, and I've never seen a shiny.

Maedhros

First shiny story? Ratatta, playing Pokemon Silver, on emulator, lololol. Couldn't afford a GBC at the time, neither a GBA some years later... you guys don't know the feel of having to play on emulators when many of your friends are on the shopping center, playing, batttling or trading pokemons and you can't, because your parents can't afford you a portable because it was fucking expensive here in Brazil... :(

Just on the DS era is that I got one by myself... but I was already burned on Pokemon.

If there is going to be an eShop version of Pokemon X/Y, wouldn't that mean duping is going to be too easily done / too widespread?

All one has to do is 'trade away' their powerful Pokemon equipped with powerful items and then restore from their SD Card's backup they made on their computer from prior to the trade.

Am I missing a variable here, GAF?

zroid

Banned
If there is going to be an eShop version of Pokemon X/Y, wouldn't that mean duping is going to be too easily done / too widespread?

All one has to do is 'trade away' their powerful Pokemon equipped with powerful items and then restore from their SD Card's backup they made on their computer from prior to the trade.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

only thing I can think of is if they somehow stick the saves on the system instead of the SD card, unlike all other (non-DSiWare) eShop games.

That's a good question - never really thought about it like that...

Unicorn

I may buy it digitally if that is something I can do.

Hypatia

Well none of the other mainline Pokemon games are on the eshop, right? So maybe that's why.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to get legit versions of all the legendaries I don't have in anticipation of Y&X... How the hell am I meant to get Deoxys?

If the data is saved on the game card and not the SD card, it won't be a problem.

Typing SD card makes it sound like I have my own kind of card

Well none of the other mainline Pokemon games are on the eshop, right? So maybe that's why.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to get legit versions of all the legendaries I don't have in anticipation of Y&X... How the hell am I meant to get Deoxys?

Only new Nintendo 3DS games and Wii U games are getting dual eShop/retail releases, so this is the first game they'd do it for one way or the other.

If the data is saved on the game card and not the SD card, it won't be a problem.

They're talking about if it's bought on the eShop - no game card to save to.

injurai

Banned

what are your units of measurement based on?

Probably not because they haven't even figured out how to emulate the link cable yet

I think he meant Virtual Console releases

It seems they could just reverse engineer the signals or something... I don't know enough about it.

What game card? This'd be for the digital version. Something like:

1. Copy data from SD card onto computer
2. Trade with someone/yourself
3. Restore the data you saved on your comp
4. Now you have your original, and the other game has an exact copy. The original is lost in the aether.

In fact, this is like that one trade duplication trick using link cables... similar outcomes too (losing one Pokemon).

Well really, thinking again, it wasn't a problem in the games before - after all, there are dupe tricks for all gens (not sure about 5 though), and this one requires sacrificing one Pokemon, and it's always been possible before, so I guess Game Freak won't be too concerned.

What game card? This'd be for the digital version. Something like:

1. Copy data from SD card onto computer
2. Trade with someone/yourself
3. Restore the data you saved on your comp
4. Now you have your original, and the other game has an exact copy. The original is lost in the aether.

In fact, this is like that one trade duplication trick using link cables... similar outcomes too (losing one Pokemon).

Well really, thinking again, it wasn't a problem in the games before - after all, there are dupe tricks for all gens (not sure about 5 though), and this one requires sacrificing one Pokemon, and it's always been possible before, so I guess Game Freak won't be too concerned.

If you're trading a Shiny Facemelter with a Master Ball for a Bidoof with no item (a trade meant in advance to sacrifice the worthless Bidoof), then it's still a significant problem.

Unless there is some sort of "sync key" that gets written to the DS's internal memory and the SD card at the same time upon saving (and must be matched upon save loading), then I can see Nintendo skipping putting X/Y on the eShop just to avert Pokemon/item duplication.

If you're trading a Shiny Facemelter with a Master Ball for a Bidoof with no item (a trade meant in advance to sacrifice the worthless Bidoof), then it's still a significant problem.

Unless there is some sort of "sync key" that gets written to the DS's internal memory and the SD card at the same time upon saving (and must be matched upon save loading), then I can see Nintendo skipping putting X/Y on the eShop just to avert Pokemon/item duplication.
It's always been possible to do these sort of dupe tricks - most of the stuff that Game Freak does with regards to game data is making sure it isn't decrypted, making sure it isn't corruptable that easily, and making sure that the Pokemon have valid stats (for tournament purposes).

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cloning_glitches

I think it is safe to say that digital Pokemon is a given regardless - it would be throwing away money to not do it.

Berordn

): I thought there was a way to get it from Pokemon Ranger? Or some other sidegame?

The third Ranger game, Guardian Signs had him available from a downloadable multiplayer mission. So even if you went out and got it, you'd need two games.

...and that's only if the two unlocked it, since the distribution for the mission is over now.

ohlawd

Sure give skaromry an evo so everyone can just ignore it and give skaromry an eviolite and roost lol.

.... holy shit. Yeah fuck this. Verdict says "HELL NAW" to a Skarmory evo.

We can have a Skarmory pre evo though, I'm down for that.

Oh, and as an aside - if the GTS remains as exploitable as it was in Gen 5, then duplication will probably happen regardless of what's done game-side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom