• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokédex 3D announced for eShop (Free). Gotta 3D 'em all!

Wichu

Got Tornadus, Cubchoo and Boldore today. I now have all 10 legendaries :p
Off the top of my head, so far I have:
Victini
Snivy
Servine
Serperior
Tepig
Pignite
Emboar
Oshawott
Dewott
Samurott
Patrat
Herdier
Stoutland
Munna
Audino
Blitzle
Zebstrika
Boldore
Gigalith
Sawk
Leavanny
Seismitoad
Venipede
Whirlipede
Krookodile
Darumaka
Darmanitan (Standard Mode)
Scraggy
Scrafty
Yamask
Zoroark
Minccino
Emolga
Karrablast
Foongus
Klang
Klinklang
Eelektross
Axew
Alomomola
Jellicent (Male)
Basculin (Blue Stripe)
Cubchoo
Beartic
Cryogonal
Hydreigon
Cobalion
Virizion
Terrakion
Tornadus
Thundurus
Reshiram
Zekrom
Landorus
Kyurem
Not too shabby :)
There's still tons I want that some of you guys have...

M3d10n

Jintor said:
So I just open my PokeDex randomly and it has new Pokemon. How does it do this? What am I passing that's giving me more Pokemon? I don't understand :<
It's called "the internet" (SpotPass is just a fancy name). The pokedex just downloads 3 random pokemons from Nintendo's servers every 24 hours (maybe spread around the day or all 3 together I'm not sure). They are installed into the SD card when you "accept" them inside the app.

The Pokedex doesn't use streetpass (it's not listed in the active streetpass apps list), to get pokemons from other users you need to use the trade function inside it.

Taking pictures of AR codes for pokemon you don't have will just increase the chances of those being downloaded first next time. You simply cannot see pokemons you haven't downloaded yet, since they are actual DLC and not mere "unlock codes": the extra data in the SD card for the pokedex increases by 200-300KB for each new pokemon. This means this will easily get in the hundreds of megabytes if they add all pokemons into it.

OMG Aero

Volcarona, Galvantula and Joltik.
Today was a good day.
e760t.jpg

Well, 200-300 KB per Poke would probably be about 200-300 MB for 'viewed' Pokémon, with the whole 1024 different codes thing.

Today, got a female Unfezant, Solosis, and Purrloin.

v331J.jpg

M3d10n

Fernando Rocker said:
So, I guess Nintendo has transmitted more raw data with this app than the entire WiiConnect24...
I'm sure Nintendo is using this to live test the SpotPass feature. Since it's free lots of people have it installed, even people who aren't interested in Pokemon.

Actually, I think the system could be used to add optional background downloading for the eShop in the future. They are already downloading the entire firmware through it.

ShinNL

Wait, data is actually transported? So it's not just unlock keys we get with SpotPass? That's kinda nice :eek:

M3d10n

Soneet said:
Wait, data is actually transported? So it's not just unlock keys we get with SpotPass? That's kinda nice :eek:
The Pokedex itself is only around 20MBs and came with 15 or so pokemons (I don't remember the exact number). There's no way it could have all 400+ in there, given the quality of the models. I just got more 3 of them and the SD card data increased by 6 blocks (256KB per model). It's now bigger than the app itself (191 blocks versus 179).

BTW, I think this is what Nikkei actually meant when they reported that 3DS cartridges would "install into the console". It was about installing data to the SD card.

Boken

Banned
Just looking at these 3D Pokemon just made me realise just how glorious the 3DS Pokemon game is going to be.

Jackano said:
My japanese Pokédex is slow as f***. I suspect the SD Card. I have a class4 SD Card in my japanese console, and a class6 for my PAL one. I don't know about the SDCard Nintendo provided, I changed it from the beginning. So, class 6 or better if you want to change it!
I didn't change my SD card I got with my system, and my japanese pokedex is totally fine (firmware updated).
So yeah, should be your class4 card.

Chopper

M3d10n said:
The Pokedex itself is only around 20MBs and came with 15 or so pokemons (I don't remember the exact number). There's no way it could have all 400+ in there, given the quality of the models. I just got more 3 of them and the SD card data increased by 6 blocks (256KB per model). It's now bigger than the app itself (191 blocks versus 179).
This is a sad realisation. Is that right? There's not enough space for all of them?! But...but...there's a big UPDATE button and everything!

megalowho

Boken said:
Just looking at these 3D Pokemon just made me realise just how glorious the 3DS Pokemon game is going to be.
I was going to pick up Black or White to play on my 3DS, but now I think I might wait. I'd rather play a Pokemon game that looks and animates like this.

megalowho said:
I was going to pick up Black or White to play on my 3DS, but now I think I might wait. I'd rather play a Pokemon game that looks and animates like this.
You're going to be waiting for a LOOONG time. Black/White, honestly, are quite worth it if you've been feeling let down with the last few Pokémon games.

The modeling and animation work is really impressive. Whoever's doing it did a fantastic job, I'd have no qualms with them recycling it for another 3DS or even Wii U game.

Izayoi

Banned
megalowho said:
Black and White are the best games in the series.

They look awesome and play great.

M3d10n

Chopper said:
This is a sad realisation. Is that right? There's not enough space for all of them?! But...but...there's a big UPDATE button and everything!
When complete it should be around 100-200MBs. I don't know exactly what the update button is supposed to update: the app itself or the models. Maybe this is another test Nintendo is gonna do for in-app updates (welcome to the age of patches!).

Truth101

Banned
Kulock said:
The modeling and animation work is really impressive. Whoever's doing it did a fantastic job, I'd have no qualms with them recycling it for another 3DS or even Wii U game.

The models were definitely made for an actual Pokemon game. Nintendo would not have high quality models like these made for every single Pokemon in B/W if they were just going to be used in a free app.

Truth101 said:
The models were definitely made for an actual Pokemon game. Nintendo would not have high quality models like these made for every single Pokemon in B/W if they were just going to be used in a free app.

That was my thinking, but Nintendo is Weird™, so I couldn't assume that was a certainty.

Izayoi

Banned
Kulock said:
That was my thinking, but Nintendo is Weird™, so I couldn't assume that was a certainty.
Giving all of this away for free doesn't seem like Nintendo's style. They will definitely be reused somewhere.

Izayoi said:
Giving all of this away for free doesn't seem like Nintendo's style. They will definitely be reused somewhere.
Could be an experiment.

But I'm SURE this is their way of showing people how awesome 3D Pokemon can be so that when they go full 3D people don't flip.

I mean, damn. If these had more animations (hurt/ different attack animations/ status animations and so on) they would be my dream for the direction of the visual presentation part of Pokemon to go into.

neo2046

LOL
look what people at 2ch done

946 &#21517;&#21069;&#65306;&#21517;&#28961;&#12375;&#12373;&#12435;&#12289;&#21531;&#12395;&#27770;&#12417;&#12383;&#65281;[sage] &#25237;&#31295;&#26085;&#65306;2011/06/21(&#28779;) 22:16:30.22 ID:???0
&#12505;&#12479;&#12384;&#12369;&#12393;BW&#25126;&#38360;&#30011;&#38754;&#39080;&#12398;&#30011;&#20687;&#20316;&#12387;&#12390;&#25774;&#24433;
01effj.jpg
02vce1.jpg

&#12391;&#12418;&#20491;&#21029;&#12395;&#33394;&#12293;&#20316;&#12427;&#12398;&#12399;&#38754;&#20498;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;
&#12521;&#12531;&#12480;&#12512;&#12510;&#12540;&#12459;&#12540;&#35373;&#32622;&#12375;&#12390;&#25126;&#38360;&#30011;&#38754;&#39080;&#12471;&#12540;&#12488;&#20316;&#12387;&#12390;&#12415;&#12383;
&#12471;&#12515;&#12483;&#12479;&#12540;&#25276;&#12377;&#12383;&#12403;&#12395;&#12509;&#12465;&#12514;&#12531;&#12364;&#22793;&#12431;&#12427;&#12424;

direct http://www.abload.de/img/03ci0b.jpg

&#20351;&#29992;&#20363; (samples)
04ax79o.jpg

04b37ce.jpg

NateDrake said:
If Pokemon 3DS doesn't look like that I'm going to be depressed.

Nintendo didn't have these models and animations made for a free download. They'll be used for a full retail game at some point (though, it's likely a Battle game).

Big One

Banned
I'm not sure if these models will be used for the next Pokemon game. Some of them look downright wrong in terms of colors and whatnot (like the turtle for example). Proportions tend to be wonky too sometimes.

Izayoi

Banned
AceBandage said:
Nintendo didn't have these models and animations made for a free download. They'll be used for a full retail game at some point (though, it's likely a Battle game).
Yeah. I hoping that the Ruby/Sapphire remakes and beyond use models like that, but I won't get my hopes up. It's likely that they're going to be utilized for a stadium game.

Zomba13

I really hope they are used in a proper 3DS Pokémon game and not a stadium style. I think the level of 3D graphics is good enough on the 3DS that we can move away from sprites and be happy with the fidelity of the models. I mean they look great.
I would miss sprites I guess but if these were the replacements then I can live with it.

I just got this tonight and have been cheating me up some Pokemon.

But I would like to know ... what is that "Update" button for? It does nothing.

Are they gonna add more animations or Pokemon or what?

Gravijah

Black-Wind said:

One assumes more Pokemon will be added in the future.

OMG Aero

Black-Wind said:

It's probably going to be for the alternate forms they add in Grey.

I've been messing with this I don't know how it works but I like it so far.

How do you change the background (setting) to the grass and sky?

Where can I find the Pokemon AR card I see on here?

Wichu

Smiles and Cries said:
I've been messing with this I don't know how it works but I like it so far.

How do you change the background (setting) to the grass and sky?

Where can I find the Pokemon AR card I see on here?
Go to the options menu (gear icon at the top right of the touch screen). To get the AR card for any Pokémon, you can use the Excel spreadsheet I made, or ColtraineGF's Windows program. Keep in mind only 5th gen Pokémon are implemented at the moment, and most of them will just give you a silhouette (making it more likely you'll get it via SpotPass). Print it out on white paper, and you'll be able to use it IRL (or just put it on your PC screen and go from there).

Also, just got Cofagrigus. Neat rendering trick they used there (front face culling?).

Wichu said:
Go to the options menu (gear icon at the top right of the touch screen). To get the AR card for any Pokémon, you can use the Excel spreadsheet I made, or ColtraineGF's Windows program. Keep in mind only 5th gen Pokémon are implemented at the moment, and most of them will just give you a silhouette (making it more likely you'll get it via SpotPass). Print it out on white paper, and you'll be able to use it IRL (or just put it on your PC screen and go from there).

Also, just got Cofagrigus. Neat rendering trick they used there (front face culling?).

thank you what about this pokeball card being used in the pics above? any links to it?

edit: oh I see the AR Markers turn into that pokeball card... :|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
FTH said:
Do the SpotPass updates stack? Or do you have to turn on the 3DS each day to get the Pokemon per time?
They don't stack. I figured this out last week when I didn't check it and didn't get 6 Pokemon the next day. Oh well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I haven't received any Pokemon over SpotPass for a few days now. My WiFi is always on but I'm just not getting any download message. Is anybody else having this problem?

Busaiku

Ushojax said:
I haven't received any Pokemon over SpotPass for a few days now. My WiFi is always on but I'm just not getting any download message. Is anybody else having this problem?
Are you putting your 3DS in sleep when Ocarina of Time 3D is open?
If so, you need to know that for some reason, you are not connected when the game is running.

Hex

Banned
Ushojax said:

I did not get any yesterday for some reason, makes me cranky.
Will see how tonight goes.

M3d10n

Ushojax said:
I still receive them every single day. How many do you have already? Did you ever do the clock cheat to get more than 3 a day?

BowieZ

Banned
Hex said:
I did not get any yesterday for some reason, makes me cranky.
Will see how tonight goes.
I've been getting about 1 every day for the past few days now. Used to be 3 a day.

Top Bottom