• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Battle Trozei |OT| 3DS eShop puzzle/match 3 game

FSLink

Banned
Off topic but I was just looking at the banner in the OT.. and theres only a few pokemon from the first few gens, yet you can clearly tell these are all pokemon, and using the same art style they all fit in perfectly. So much for the designs getting "worse over time".
Like I've said in other topics, I wonder how much hate the newer gens would have received if they kept the same art style from the RBY days.

Just downloaded this game off the eShop and it's quite a treat so far. Haven't played much of the first one but maybe I'll go back to that one day.

JoeM86

I 100%'d this last week. Great fun. Logged a good 40 hours or so on it to get to that point (though some of that was going through and grabbing images for my site).

Highest combo I've achieved was 116.

So no poketransfer to X/Y ?

Meh =P

At least it looks fun

Very very few spin-off games do.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cleared the first 2 zones and I have to say that the game is not half bad. Too bad that the stages are so short so far.

It's like Puzzles and Dragons for sure. It's different from the original Pokemon Trozei on the DS. The mechanics are different.

I'm good with this purchase. I didn't like the original one. The mechanics wasn't as deep. This one is pretty good.

Slermy

It's like Puzzles and Dragons for sure. It's different from the original Pokemon Trozei on the DS. The mechanics are different.

I'm good with this purchase. I didn't like the original one. The mechanics wasn't as deep. This one is pretty good.

Could you elaborate on this? It's more than just matching three?

Zero315

Banned
I've replayed several battles and I can't get the missing pokemon to appear. Should I keep repeating or move on?

I've only played the first three or so stages, but I think it's a score thing. The fourth pokemon showed up after I cleared the board at least once on those stages.

Could you elaborate on this? It's more than just matching three?
In the original you can only move the entire row vertically or horizontally. You form chains by continually moving the rows as they fall. It wasn't very deep. It's not like Puzzle League either.

And I think you matched 4 or more. I forget since it's been awhile but all I remember is that it had a different mechanic and it wasn't as deep.

Zenaku

I've replayed several battles and I can't get the missing pokemon to appear. Should I keep repeating or move on?

Pokemon have certain conditions to capture them. It could be having a score above a certain point, getting a certain combo, time of day, taking specific Pokemon with you, defeating a Pokemon in one strike, or with a certain type attack or a certain Pokemon, or even having captured a certain number of Pokemon.

Stages can have different requirements too, from getting certain ranks on certain stages, catching a certain Pokemon, or defeating a stage boss in 1 attack.

Is A the highest rank?

S is the highest.

SmokyDave

This looks exactly like Puzzle and Dragons. I'm tempted but I'm not sure I'd end up playing it when I have P&D already, given that I've no attachment to the Pokemon IP.

Hmmm.

This is the kind of stuff that should be on mobile. Would like to play it on my phone
I wasn't going to say it, but yeah. I'd have grabbed it immediately on my phone.

JoeM86

Is there any way to check the evolution requirements or do you just have to know?

You don't evolve Pokémon in this game, but you can access hidden Pokémon by achieving things such as flawless capture, high combos, bringing specific Pokémon etc.

You should be able to find lists on certain Pokémon sites.

I keep on missing one or two Pokemon in each stage. How do I get them?

See above

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I keep on missing one or two Pokemon in each stage. How do I get them?

Different requirements, such as getting a high score/ranking, or using a Super Effective Attack. Or even playing a certain time of day.

I don't think the game tells you, so you'll need to look it up or get lucky.

Speaking of which, any tips for getting better scores? I thought I did really good, but I'm still only getting Bs.

JoeM86

Different requirements, such as getting a high score/ranking, or using a Super Effective Attack. Or even playing a certain time of day.

I don't think the game tells you, so you'll need to look it up or get lucky.

Speaking of which, any tips for getting better scores? I thought I did really good, but I'm still only getting Bs.

Correct, you do have to be lucky, unless you check various websites. If you're running those websites, though, it's a pain in the butt working it out :p

Better scores by keeping the combos going, and going with Super Effective hits. If you start with a match of 6 of the same Pokémon in a row, then it will double it too. The Pokémon your matching's strength is also a factor.

Boogiepop

Hit the start of stage 10 and had to stop myself. I'm addicted. This game definitely seems to have a lot more too it than the original, that's for sure. It's a shame there's no proper story mode like that game had, though.

Also, is there any point to NOT using legendaries as your partners if you have one in the type you need? It's a shame that they seem to utterly, hopelessly outclass everything else.

ASTROID2

One of my friends on Miiverse is super good. O_O
mqs0y.jpg

My highest is 19.

Slermy

In the original you can only move the entire row vertically or horizontally. You form chains by continually moving the rows as they fall. It wasn't very deep. It's not like Puzzle League either.

And I think you matched 4 or more. I forget since it's been awhile but all I remember is that it had a different mechanic and it wasn't as deep.

Hmmm, thanks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well If Nintendo would put it on mobile and charge 4.99 dollars for it, with no in app stuff, I would still get it :)

You would, but most wouldn't.

Most people who own game systems buy games.

Most people who own mobile devices have a price cap of $0.99 (or free for a good number of them) unless you are selling them gems or some shit.

So, yeah, with the game as it is, Nintendo can probably expect a few hundred thousand sales * $8 on a platform they own and control, or risk selling far fewer copies at half the price (or less) and have 30% of that money taken by Apple/Google. That's not even mentioning possible increased development costs for having to target a wider range of devices.

The more I play the more I'm enjoying it.

I'm seeing mentioned above the game is 40+ hours long? Is that right?
Correct, you do have to be lucky, unless you check various websites. If you're running those websites, though, it's a pain in the butt working it out :p

Better scores by keeping the combos going, and going with Super Effective hits. If you start with a match of 6 of the same Pokémon in a row, then it will double it too. The Pokémon your matching's strength is also a factor.
I hate how I never get a opposite type Pokemon when I go against the computer. It's hard to get those super effective hits.

Sora_N

I will pick this up later on. Don't have spare money atm. 8 is a great price and hard to pass up since I'm interested lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
One of my friends on Miiverse is super good. O_O
mqs0y.jpg

My highest is 19.
Nice. I think the highest I've got was 26.
This looks exactly like Puzzle and Dragons. I'm tempted but I'm not sure I'd end up playing it when I have P&D already, given that I've no attachment to the Pokemon IP.
It's not EXACTLY like P&D. In P&D, when you move a block, you move all the ones that are in the way between the original place and where you put it, right? Here you just switch the two.
You can also move stuff mid-combo when everything is falling and disappearing for bigger combos, so it's engaging past that first move.

I'm already raging trying to get A scores.

I love that! And that's not even the highest score, haha.

I definitely need to get better about sliding and dropping. I'm noticing I drag and drop something only for it to go back somewhere else and that's killed my combos more than a few times already.

I'm also super glad the trailer music is played on the final Pokemon on the zones! That track is awesome <3

Yup, I can definitely see this being one of my most-played games for my 3DS.

Boogiepop

"Beat" the game, but I still have plenty of Pokemon left to grab.

The music for the final area before the credits is awesome!

And you'll know there's S rank...
I know! I said as much right after :p I've actually gotten two S ranks already.

Some of the conditions for making certain Pokemon appear are going to be fun to figure out. I'm honestly impressed that sometimes after I finish a battle, I expect to get an S with my score but it's just an A. Like, damn.

My max combo is 57 so far.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Game sounds great so far - are there any interesting online multi-player or Street/Spotpass features?

Nice. I think the highest I've got was 26.

It's not EXACTLY like P&D. In P&D, when you move a block, you move all the ones that are in the way between the original place and where you put it, right? Here you just switch the two.
You can also move stuff mid-combo when everything is falling and disappearing for bigger combos, so it's engaging past that first move.

So is this like Tetris Attack with Pokemon? Is there a VS mode?

So is this like Tetris Attack with Pokemon? Is there a VS mode?
No, not like Tetris Attack. You can move a piece from the top to the bottom, anywhere around the screen.

It's closer to Puzzles and dragons with maybe a hint of Tetris Attack.

And yes, there's a VS mode where you can play others.

Holy shit! I was getting wrecked on 3-5. I restarted twice and got a Game Over once.

I really hope there's super hard stuff later on. This was the most fun battle yet! It has a difficulty of 5 when the rest in this zone are 3, so that makes sense. Still... wow, I was on the edge of my seat.

That battle reminded me of all my intense matches in Pokemon Puzzle League, so I really hope there's more to come.

I want Pokemon Puzzle Challenge on the 3DS VC so bad ;_;

Boogiepop

I god.
Stage 12 destroyed me with its speed, but I made it through
. I guess tomorrow I'll try
the infinite stuff
and then mess around with trying to figure out how to get certain Pokemon to appear. Though hopefully I can prevent myself from getting quite so addicted tomorrow. I played WAY too much of this today.

Layth

I'm enjoying the game so far, I made it to zone 3 and also had a hidden Pokemon appear once. The only things I'd knock the game for at this point is lack of online play and no 3D enabled.

Kyou

god this game is really addicting

it's oddly strategic. I figured it'd just be a mindless timewaster to pull out every now and then but this thing demands you pay attention

Does adding an online vs mode sound highly improbable?

If Dr Luigi has it, why not this?

Nintendo, comon. I know this is $8, compared to $15, but I feel like pokemon will sell a lot more than Dr Luigi.

Top Bottom