• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Chopper

Can I do anything fun with Black City on my own? Or do I need to interact with White 2 to gain access to Black Tower? I want a Shiny Dratini!

Can I do anything fun with Black City on my own? Or do I need to interact with White 2 to gain access to Black Tower? I want a Shiny Dratini!
Shiny Dratini is only in White 2. Black 2 gets shiny Gible, I think. But you don't have to interact with White 2 to play the Black Tower on Black 2.

MikeMyers

My White 2 team is:
Gyarados
Garchomp
Roserade
Skarmory
Zoroak

6th Pokemon should it be Infernape or Jolteon? I know fighting types are all the rage in this gen...but Starmie is a god damn bitch to fight in PWT. Might as well get Jolteon.

Chopper

Once you have one of each of the Power items and a source of Pokérus (trade for one), then it's pretty quick. Maybe about 40 minutes per Pokémon? If you can afford vitamins, even less.

For EV distributions, I usually pick a move list first by looking at base stats and movepool, then work to the strengths of that. For example, Golurk has high Attack, but low Speed - so you'll want to boost its Attack, but focus on making it able to survive hits instead of outspeeding things.
In 90% of cases, you'll be able to get away with a standard 252/252/4 spread. The only times you want anything else is when you require a stat to have a specific value (for example, if you want to make sure you outspeed a certain Pokémon or survive a certain attack). For that you'll need to take into account IVs too.

Smogon has suggested spreads for the majority of Pokémon; you don't have to follow them exactly, but if you're not sure where to go, it's a good start.
Thanks for the tips. I think I've got my head around it. Just one thing: At what point do I put the pokemon I'm trying to train at the front of my party? If I'm EVing from level 1, I don't want to risk killing my pokemon, but don't want to risk bumping into a pokemon I don't want to fight. It's a tricky balancing act.

Shiny Dratini is only in White 2. Black 2 gets shiny Gible, I think. But you don't have to interact with White 2 to play the Black Tower on Black 2.
And thank you too. Shame about that fact, but it'll do.

JulianImp

I've finally gotten started with my mono-ghost Black 2 run. I had to beat the first gym with my Oshawott, but after that I traded a pair of Golett eggs from White 1 and hatched them (in case one of them had Klutz as its ability). Golett was able to wreck most starting mons (which only know normal-type moves) despite being underleveled... that is, until Lillipups began using bite to wreck it in one or two attacks. :p

I'll be using the dream world in the next few days to pick up some more ghost types for my team, since I don't want to keep on playing with a single pokémon in my party. According to Serebi, I'll be able to get a Ghastly, Misdreavus and Shuppet for now (I only wish Spiritomb didn't require so many points).

What's the first in-game location where I'll be able to get some new ghosts at? I remember Frillish requiring surf, and Litwick being found midway through, but that's all. Serebii does have a list of routes where you can finde each of them, but since the order you traverse the towns in is different this time around, I'm unable to tell if any given area isvisited early or later on.

JulianImp

Why are you collecting pokemon from the Dream World? You after specific abilities?

Nope. I just need more ghosts for my team, and since they only start appearing on the wild later on, the only way to get them early is through the Dream World.

I'll try replacing them when I get the much more varied and fun Gen V ghosts, though (I love Cofragrius and its odd mummy ability).

Chopper

If I can trade you anything, I'd be happy to help. PM me if you need anything. I've got a load of Dittos too, so I might be able to provide specific natures.

JulianImp

If I can trade you anything, I'd be happy to help. PM me if you need anything. I've got a load of Dittos too, so I might be able to provide specific natures.

While I could trade, my intention is to beat the game by "cheating" as little as possible. I already had to get a Golett egg to get started, so I'll try to leave it at that and get everything else through normal gameplay (and the Dream World). Boosted experience rates would probably wreck the game balance, as well.

After replaying part of HeartGold, it's good to see unlimited-use TMs again. The hoarder in me is finally free to use them anytime! :D

Well I can confirm you do need the Latios/Latias twins to get the shiny charm. With that said anyone willing to trade and trade back Latios? I can also give you dex entries as well.

upandaway

Just beat the E4 rematch after fully exploring everywhere (everywhere). 84:02 on the clock!

I was mentally ready to start working on the Pokedex, and then I remembered I saved Black City for after the E4. Oh man.

@Thequietone, is Latios the one in Black? If so I could do it over the weekend after I catch him (I fainted him so I had to wait until after E4 rematch), unless someone else gets to you by then.

Just beat the E4 rematch after fully exploring everywhere (everywhere). 84:02 on the clock!

I was mentally ready to start working on the Pokedex, and then I remembered I saved Black City for after the E4. Oh man.

@Thequietone, is Latios the one in Black? If so I could do it over the weekend after I catch him (I fainted him so I had to wait until after E4 rematch), unless someone else gets to you by then.

Yeah Black 2.

i can trade you latios for latias either tonight or tomorrow morning. gotta catch him first lol, i can't find him....he ran away too many times :(
He doesn't leave the dream yard and as long as you don't (this counts for the basement) it doesn't reset the "run away" count. The last time I think is on top of the over pass near the part that broke off that's near the staircase that goes down into the basement.

Firestorm

The whole site needs a bit of a spring clean.

I think Serebii often does marvellous work, but his site's been largely unchanged for, like, a decade. It needs a design update.
Serebii disagrees. He thinks his site is fine and "simple." You can see my conversation with him on the last three pages of this thread if you want a look into his mind:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64434475

In any case, use http://veekun.com instead of Serebii and be happy.

JulianImp

I went to the dream world yesterday, using my Golett with hopes of going to the Spooky Manor to catch some more ghosts. It turns out sending Golett makes it more likely that you find the icy cave instead (whoops!), so I was stuck with a Durigonn (or whatever its name was), and ended up choosing the female one with no awesome moves.

It was quite frustrating to find myself in the icy cave over and over until the Dream World wouldn't spawn any new pokémon for me to find. I did get a few revives and a leppa berry for my troubles, though.

Next time, I'll use a psychic type or something.

upandaway

Oh wow, I really really like the Black Tower setup.

It could be really fun if the areas themselves were randomized and the healing was cut out, in an endless type of thing. Auto-lv100, PP-reset every floor (or outright healing), etc etc.
Speaking of which, the various miscellaneous facilities not being in the game could also be a hint at a final 3rd installment.

Anyone wanna help me see a Buneary? I will trade you with a Skitty.
I could do it tomorrow.. I'll send you a PM or something?

just like every other ice type ever
Well, Ice is a horrible defensive typing but the defensive stats on Cryogonal are just putrid. I one shotted it with a 40 base power move that wasn't even super effective
granted it was coming off 120 base attack

Anyway, I'm taking a break from the Battle Subway. I keep running into bad matchups and lolh4x. I gave the random wifi doubles a spin and there seems to be a lot of mediocre players there. First two guys didn't even seem to have anything but random Pokemon. The third guy seemed to know what he was doing (he had 300+ wins and actually used Protect on some of his Pokemon) but I still recovered in time to beat him after a mispredict by me on turn one.

I'm seeing some stars by the names of some of these random trainers. Are they just the trainer card stars from single player or are they related to how well you do in the GBU? Also, should I be spending time in free or rated? Seems like in rated, you'd get more people D/Cing since there's more at stake. But the couple of guys I played against in free seemed to suck.

backlot

The stars are just trainer card stars. I usually play free just because it's easier to find battles quicker. Whenever I try rated I end up battling the same person multiple times.

Can anyone trade me a female DW (Moxie) Heracross? Willing to give a female DW (Regenerator) Slowpoke.
I have one in my Entree forest. Give me a minute or two to catch it first. K, what's your FC?

Mines 1636 2204 6115

The stars are just trainer card stars. I usually play free just because it's easier to find battles quicker. Whenever I try rated I end up battling the same person multiple times.
Alrighty, thanks.

upandaway

Okay this is getting a bit annoying. To begin with the shape of the grass in Castelia is weird.. and I never thought I would EVER say this about a Pokemon game, but the encounter rate is too low! I can go a full 1-1.5 minutes without a single encounter. And with Buneary's 15% encounter rate and I've only encountered him once in about half an hour.

In fact it's been 1 Buneary, 2 Rattatas and 2 trillion (precisely that number) of Cottonee in a half freaking hour.

For the curious, Cottonee is 35%, Rattata is 30% and Buneary is 15%. Someone please explain to me how I'm not drowning in shinies when my luck is this good.

Edit: Thanks GAF. Two Bunearies in a row immediately after posting this (which was my intended scenario, though it's hilarious that it really happened). I know I shouldn't abuse the GAF Effect™ often, but I just had to this time.

Cheers.

JulianImp

Okay, after checking Serevii I learned the Spooky Manor is unlockabke in BW2 rather than being a starter area, and one of the requirements is having four badges. Bummer.

I only learned that after attempting to get there 50+ times over the last two days, and I kept arriving to the Icy Cave. I just wish they'd let you choose and let you know when you unlock something new.

By the way, where does the site keep track of your dream world points, and how are they earned? I have yet to find a points counter anywhere in the site, and I keep seeing stuff about unlockable pokémon when you reach specific points thresholds. Are those points the ones you get in mini-games, or are they a different thing?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm... are starter mons available in Dream World or are they event only?

Also it really sucks that you have to rely on Treehallow/Tower for endless rematches - I hate the no-item rule and the mons there are cheap as fuck.

upandaway

I just woke up my DW dude after a week, and bam, at least 10 guys came to my avenue.

Why did no one tell me this magic. The coil takes so long to trade I can only get uh ~1 out of it a day, if I'm not lazy.

Wichu

Why did no one tell me this magic. The coil takes so long to trade I can only get uh ~1 out of it a day, if I'm not lazy.

What. I can fill my avenue in about half an hour by trading Magnemites. Deposit one, search and trade for one or two, then check back and it should have been traded - no more than 5 minutes tops.

upandaway

What. I can fill my avenue in about half an hour by trading Magnemites. Deposit one, search and trade for one or two, then check back and it should have been traded - no more than 5 minutes tops.
The one I put up around 12:00 (it's 6 now) still hasn't been traded.

And the search is... dumb. I think I tried more than 50 times with different trainers over the week, and every single time it's that stupid "THIS POKEMON WAS ALREADY BELONG TO NOT YOU"
if it was already traded to another trainer then why do you put it in my search to begin with! ヽ(#`Д´)ノ!!

so yes to me it definitely does not work as advertised

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, I got like plenty of magnemites in trade.

I just woke up my DW dude after a week, and bam, at least 10 guys came to my avenue.

Footprint visits and friends who you added all visit.

upandaway

So I used "seek" again. Out of 10 trainers I tried, I managed to trade 8 times. That was the first time ever that I didn't get the "traded to someone else" message! The 12:00 Magnemite was traded, too.

Maybe I should complain to GAF that I never win the lottery...

By the way, where does the site keep track of your dream world points, and how are they earned? I have yet to find a points counter anywhere in the site, and I keep seeing stuff about unlockable pokémon when you reach specific points thresholds. Are those points the ones you get in mini-games, or are they a different thing?
Your point total is hidden well out of sight - I'd imagine most people who don't look this stuff up on other sites don't even know there are points being tracked. After you log into the Global Link website, go to "My Page" and click the lower "Pokemon Dream World" tab (there are two sets of tabs and both have a Dream World tab).

You rack up points for winning minigames, making Dream World friends, watering other people's plants, and logging into the site. They are separate from points accrued in minigames (those just dictate if you win and what move the Pokemon gets).

JulianImp

Your point total is hidden well out of sight - I'd imagine most people who don't look this stuff up on other sites don't even know there are points being tracked. After you log into the Global Link website, go to "My Page" and click the lower "Pokemon Dream World" tab (there are two sets of tabs and both have a Dream World tab).

You rack up points for winning minigames, making Dream World friends, watering other people's plants, and logging into the site. They are separate from points accrued in minigames (those just dictate if you win and what move the Pokemon gets).

Woah, that's weird. I just checked my White 1 card and it seems it only has 1800 points.

Perhaps I should add some people and start using the share shelf, watering their berries and all that. Still, I don't get why Nintendo implemented such a slow, clunky and generally annoying way to grow berries and get new pokemon.

At least the Pokéwalker rewarded you just for walking around, rather than repeatedly putting pokémon to sleep (which takes an eternity), going to a site to do repetitive chores and then waking the pokémon up.

exhume

Serebii disagrees. He thinks his site is fine and "simple." You can see my conversation with him on the last three pages of this thread if you want a look into his mind:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64434475

In any case, use http://veekun.com instead of Serebii and be happy.

Heh, I remember chatting to Serebii back on Pokemasters (which seems to be a shadow of its former self) when he was preparing to launch the site. Always seemed like a bit of an odd dude.

Top Bottom