• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

entremet

So PokeGAF, Best Buy has Black Version 2 and White Version 2 on sale. Is there a version that's better than the other or are the differences strictly different wild Pokemon like in the past?

There are some differences outside of available Pokemon. Black 2 has access to hard mode, or challenge mode, but you need to beat the game first lol, which is annoying because it kinda misses the point of having a hard mode, especially in a long RPG like Pokemon.

White 2 has access to an easy mode, same qualifications, beating the game. You can exchange both modes via Infrared with another opposite colored cart. Kinda sucks you can't do this online, but it's Nintendo after all.

After that most of the changes have to do with access specific prize and legendaries Pokemon.

http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/legendary.shtml

http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/gift.shtml

Then you have common unique regular Pokemon in each game.

So what do I need to beat/do in the first game in order to get all the extras in White 2? I just "beat" White's story mode and am now moving on to the afermath.

Picked up both games with the BB sale. Both games for $30 was a steal considering 1 game is normally $35. Now I haven't played a pokemon game since HeartGold. Am I missing out not playing the original Black/White? Also which game should I start first? I'm leaning towards Black.

JoeM86

If I start my game before using memory link, will I miss anything? I'm wanting all the extra cutscenes I heard was there.

Only thing you can potentially miss is if you pick up the Prop Case in the Pokémon Musical in W2 before doing the Memory Link.

Everything else activates no matter when you do it

entremet

Picked up both games with the BB sale. Both games for $30 was a steal considering 1 game is normally $35. Now I haven't played a pokemon game since HeartGold. Am I missing out not play the original Black/White? Also which game should I start first? I'm leaning towards Black.

Not much really, just some story stuff, but nothing deep.

B2/W2 are the definitive versions of the Gen V games.

Not much really, just some story stuff, but nothing deep.

B2/W2 are the definitive versions of the Gen V games.

Cool thanks, I just saw a few posts like the one above about cutscenes and bonus stuff from 1st games. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ruining the full experience jumping right into the sequels. I will probably start Black sometime this week in between Fire Emblem sessions.

upandaway

Cool thanks, I just saw a few posts like the one above about cutscenes and bonus stuff from 1st games. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ruining the full experience jumping right into the sequels. I will probably start Black sometime this week in between Fire Emblem sessions.
I can get where you're coming from with the question, but you definitely won't get any less of a full experience without the Memory Link stuff. They're completely negligible, and because they're just a few new text boxes, you can just look them up if you're that curious.

So I totally missed the Genesect event. Would anyone have a spare that I can trade for? I have a Jirachi or Celebi that I wouldn't mind parting with for it, among a myriad of legendaries if that's more what you're looking for.

Rawk Hawk

I am a little confused about a couple random things and hoping maybe you guys can help me out. I had black v1 and got 7 badges, recently purchased black v2 and started it up, but of all the pokemon games I've never ported old pokemon forward. So, can I? Seems like I need the national dex and to go to a lab and play a mini game with 2 DS's? Not sure if there is an easier way, but from the main menu there is a unova memory option that I thought might help. What about items, money or other things? Any way to bring them forward (don't think so, but curious just in case I missed something)?

On the topic of breeding, if I have two grass types (in this case cottenee and petilil) making eggs, can any grass type come from the egg or only one of those two? I've done two in black v1 and got petlilil's both times, just didn't know if that was my luck or not, was hoping to get like a snivy or something like that since I picked oshowatt.

Thanks guys, everything I read suggests the first question is answered by the lab and 2 DS systems mini game, just not sure it's worth buying a second one for the old pokemon that I can probably get in v2. Second one I'm lost on, the bulbapedia page has charts that only show one of the parents as this children, but how would I get a snivy for my dex? I suppose trade someone who just started a new game? Thanks again for the help guys.

JulianImp

I am a little confused about a couple random things and hoping maybe you guys can help me out. I had black v1 and got 7 badges, recently purchased black v2 and started it up, but of all the pokemon games I've never ported old pokemon forward. So, can I? Seems like I need the national dex and to go to a lab and play a mini game with 2 DS's? Not sure if there is an easier way, but from the main menu there is a unova memory option that I thought might help. What about items, money or other things? Any way to bring them forward (don't think so, but curious just in case I missed something)?

On the topic of breeding, if I have two grass types (in this case cottenee and petilil) making eggs, can any grass type come from the egg or only one of those two? I've done two in black v1 and got petlilil's both times, just didn't know if that was my luck or not, was hoping to get like a snivy or something like that since I picked oshowatt.

Thanks guys, everything I read suggests the first question is answered by the lab and 2 DS systems mini game, just not sure it's worth buying a second one for the old pokemon that I can probably get in v2. Second one I'm lost on, the bulbapedia page has charts that only show one of the parents as this children, but how would I get a snivy for my dex? I suppose trade someone who just started a new game? Thanks again for the help guys.

I don't think you need the lab to trade between two gen 5 games. That's only there for bringing stuff over from 4th gen (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold and Soul Silver).

When breeding, Pokémon actually have one or two breeding types the game keeps hidden, and which are unrelated to the pokémon's actual types. The offspring is always the same species as its mother (or whoever isn't Ditto if you're breeding with one of those), and inherits some moves from its father (mostly TMs, but there're some special "egg moves" pokémon can only learn by inheriting them from their parents).

By the way, with Gen 4 onwards there's a Global Trade Station, where you can trade with other people over the interhet, either by seeking a trade request and offering the appropiate pokémon or by leaving one of your 'mons there and requesting for any specific pokémon, gender and/or level range. Trade requests you make might take anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few days, depending on how reasonable your offer is and whether anyone wants to make the trade. You should try to breed Ohawott and then trade its offspring for a Snivy, but since it's probably male, you'll have to wait until you can get your hands on a Ditto to breed it (Ditto + <anything> = baby <anything>... except for a few unbreedable 'mons).

Rawk Hawk

I don't think you need the lab to trade between two gen 5 games. That's only there for bringing stuff over from 4th gen (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold and Soul Silver).

When breeding, Pokémon actually have one or two breeding types the game keeps hidden, and which are unrelated to the pokémon's actual types. The offspring is always the same species as its mother (or whoever isn't Ditto if you're breeding with one of those), and inherits some moves from its father (mostly TMs, but there're some special "egg moves" pokémon can only learn by inheriting them from their parents).

By the way, with Gen 4 onwards there's a Global Trade Station, where you can trade with other people over the interhet, either by seeking a trade request and offering the appropiate pokémon or by leaving one of your 'mons there and requesting for any specific pokémon, gender and/or level range. Trade requests you make might take anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few days, depending on how reasonable your offer is and whether anyone wants to make the trade. You should try to breed Ohawott and then trade its offspring for a Snivy, but since it's probably male, you'll have to wait until you can get your hands on a Ditto to breed it (Ditto + <anything> = baby <anything>... except for a few unbreedable 'mons).

Nice.. thanks so much for the help, that clears things up a lot. Sounds like I'll need to try and do this GTS trading then. I'll read up on that today, thanks again.

JulianImp

I think the GTS is available after getting a few badges. At least in Black/White 2, the Pokémon center has it on the top floor alongside local trade stands.

Rawk Hawk

Gotcha, I was thinking about finishing up the story line in v1 before diving into 2.. but was really going to do it to help transfer my pokemon over to the new game, seems as though 2 system trading is the only way to get that done.. do probably going to start up version 2 and just play both here and there depending on the team I want to play with.

I knew it was stupid when I did it, but traded in my DSi for a 3DS a few months ago when GameStop was running a double system trade in value (got $36 in total for the DSi). Think a friend of mine is debating getting a 3DS.. time to start pushing him towards it! :lol

I'll probably play through v2 for a bit before trying to trade and stuff anyway so badge requirements shouldn't be a problem. Is the competitive community still big? Never battled online before (only played Red and Pearl before, and even in those only got the badges and gave them back to their owners I borrowed them from). But wouldn't mind giving that a go too, although I assume I'll need a max level team before that's even an option?

Gotcha, I was thinking about finishing up the story line in v1 before diving into 2.. but was really going to do it to help transfer my pokemon over to the new game, seems as though 2 system trading is the only way to get that done.. do probably going to start up version 2 and just play both here and there depending on the team I want to play with.

I knew it was stupid when I did it, but traded in my DSi for a 3DS a few months ago when GameStop was running a double system trade in value (got $36 in total for the DSi). Think a friend of mine is debating getting a 3DS.. time to start pushing him towards it! :lol

I'll probably play through v2 for a bit before trying to trade and stuff anyway so badge requirements shouldn't be a problem. Is the competitive community still big? Never battled online before (only played Red and Pearl before, and even in those only got the badges and gave them back to their owners I borrowed them from). But wouldn't mind giving that a go too, although I assume I'll need a max level team before that's even an option?

The competitive scene is still pretty big. I went to a regional and it was pretty busy. A good site to go to is nugget bridge, and their official site, for a pretty huge community about all things competitive pokemon.

In most competitive play and in random online matches, pokemon are leveled down to level 50, so as long as your team is above that, you'll be able to compete.

Kiraly

GAF, which version do I get?

Have played White at release years ago, don't remember a thing about the story. Haven't got the Pokémon any more. Neither any other game except for Platinum. Go.

e: Never mind, guess I'll go for Black 2 for the Challenge mode and the few more attractive exclusive Pokemon. Shame about the shiny Dratini though.

Celegus

Ditto can mate with males?! Mind. Blown.

Celegus

Yeah, it can breed with anything other than most legendaries and itself regardless of gender (or being genderless).

Oh man. All those times I've restarted Pokemon games so that I could collect all 9 versions of the starters... for naught! Guess it's better to learn late than never.

upandaway

Doesn't look like anyone can help me in the Community thread so I'll ask here.. does anyone have a spare game he can use to get a Meloetta for me, please? I have no access to any of these stores. I have an almost full Pokedex to offer from

Anyone could trade me these pokemons? Only to complete Unova dex.
  • Vullaby
  • Snivy
  • Serperior
I can help you out with that in the weekend, shoot me a PM

JulianImp

Great, yet another promo thing they're releasing only on stores.

I thought they'd begin to distribute more stuff through WFC by now, but I guess anyone using an US-region game in the rest of the continent is screwed out of getting most events, as usual.

Doesn't look like anyone can help me in the Community thread so I'll ask here.. does anyone have a spare game he can use to get a Meloetta for me, please? I have no access to any of these stores. I have an almost full Pokedex to offer from

I won't want mine once I have it registered, so I'll give it to you in exchange for something that you think will amuse me. Anything will do!

JulianImp

Something new I've noticed is that the Poke Ball doesn't always "shake" when capturing.

I think you might be talking about the new "critical capture" mechanic, which gives you higher chances of catching something and has the pokéball shake only once rather than the three times it shakes with regular captures.

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm looking for some Pokemon! Specifically, a DW Abra, Pikachu and, unfortunately, Bulbasaur. The latter of which of course was only given out with limited availability in Japan.

I have some shinies and most Pokemon up to fourth gen on offer. Hoping for a female Abra or Pikachu, or a Bulbasaur with an anti-attack nature (Bold/Timid/Modest/Calm).

Apologies again if this is in the wrong thread...

Azure J

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma with how I've built my B2 team at current. Maybe it's just a loss of interest in the squad but after training most of the same Pokemon one time before in Vanilla Black, I can't seem to put together something that either mixes all of my likes from the various gens together or has some semblance of synergy beyond having good mixed coverage.

The current team (for at least the main story) is:

Eelektross
Zweilious
Musharna
Emboar
Leavanny
Jellicent

What do you think of it all? Also, if you had to make recommendations for something a little more "interesting" from this base, what would you change and why?

upandaway

Tackhead I'm gonna send you a PM sometime tomorrow hopefully

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma with how I've built my B2 team at current. Maybe it's just a loss of interest in the squad but after training most of the same Pokemon one time before in Vanilla Black, I can't seem to put together something that either mixes all of my likes from the various gens together or has some semblance of synergy beyond having good mixed coverage.

Eelektross
Zweilious
Musharna
Emboar
Leavanny
Jellicent

What do you think of it all? Also, if you had to make recommendations for something a little more "interesting" from this base, what would you change and why?
Well if I was gonna change anything, the easy choice would be Emboar. We've done this guy 3 times now, and he's not that interesting to use. And another easy choice afterwards would be Chandelure, he's a crazy little guy.

And this is just bias but Lilligant is about 2 trillion billion times more cooler than Leavanny. No scratch that, 3 trillion.

Tackhead I'm gonna send you a PM sometime tomorrow hopefully

Well if I was gonna change anything, the easy choice would be Emboar. We've done this guy 3 times now, and he's not that interesting to use. And another easy choice afterwards would be Chandelure, he's a crazy little guy.

And this is just bias but Lilligant is about 2 trillion billion times more cooler than Leavanny. No scratch that, 3 trillion.

I'm free tonight if you still want that Meloetta.

I think you might be talking about the new "critical capture" mechanic, which gives you higher chances of catching something and has the pokéball shake only once rather than the three times it shakes with regular captures.

Yeah that must be it. Thanks.

Eelektross
Zweilious
Musharna
Emboar
Leavanny
Jellicent

I kind of agree. I got my first 4 (Dewott/Flareon/Magneton/Lucario) pretty early and I haven't really encountered any other Pokemon I want to replace them with (who wasn't on my Black1 team).

Frankly I want to replace Flareon with another Fire type because his movepool is so bad, but it seems like such a waste of a Jolly Eevee I spent forever to catch.

I did catch a couple of Duosion so I might use Reuniclus; my Dewott is Adamant so I need a Special attacker.

Azure J

Emboar's a stand in for either dream world Infernape or Blaziken really. I just wanted to see what the team would look like with all those typings covered.

Leavanny is easily the coolest grass type I've seen in the series yet. Liligant is cool though. :p

It's just such a wretched shame that the dual Bug/Grass typing (while giving it some excellent coverage) gets molested by so many different types with Fire and Flying making sure it'll never be without fear in play. I'm also hesitant to run a team with both it and Volcarona even though my power trio of Eelektross, Hydreigon and Volcarona were amazing when I finished my OG Black team and I'm feeling nostalgic for them.

pikablu

Anyone know of a retail place that has wifi that will work with the DSLite. I know Mcdonalds used to but I'm pretty sure they stopped that. I want someone to trade me a Victini under level 30 (if I can even get someone to do that) but my wifi setup at the moment is my neighbors and they won't let me change their settings obviously to get it to work.

pikablu

So I found out that I can do it at my work because I know their password for their network. Now to find someone to trade with. I think EvilMario said he'd trade with me in the #pokegaf chat.

upandaway

I'm doing my second playthrough of BW2 with (right now, 5th gym) these guys:

Embd5gk.png
9M7Lz97.png
MAVMeXf.png
mh9ik58.png
LuAebu8.png
QEigTxA.png

It's the first time ever that I went with the full 6 as soon as possible. I basically just browsed my PC and chose on a whim. It's pretty dang fun.

(the Lilligant isn't actually shiny, but I just felt like using the sprite for one of the best shinies ever)

edit: aaaaaaa why is the litwick sprite positioned weird. oh well.

Firestorm

Anyone know of a retail place that has wifi that will work with the DSLite. I know Mcdonalds used to but I'm pretty sure they stopped that. I want someone to trade me a Victini under level 30 (if I can even get someone to do that) but my wifi setup at the moment is my neighbors and they won't let me change their settings obviously to get it to work.

If you have a phone with data, set up a wifi hotspot?

pikablu

If you have a phone with data, set up a wifi hotspot?

Nah for some reason the DS won't detect the wifi tether. No big deal. I found out it would work at my work flawlessly. Still searching for someone to trade me a Victini though. EvilMario has been MIA.

Mush

This is my first BW2 playthrough, and I just got to Nimbasa. Is my team under-leveled? It feels like it.

Dewott LV. 24
Lucario LV. 25
Growlithe LV. 22
Golbat LV. 23

I really don't know what to do with Growlithe. She's easily my weakest Pokemon and while I do have a Fire Stone, I don't know if I should use it. Arcanine gets Extremespeed at 34 but doesn't learn Flare Blitz/Outrage/Crunch at all and (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't get access to the move relearner until post-game?

I'm also having trouble filling out my last 2 spots. I don't have a HM slave at present, but I'd like to keep the whole one Pokemon from each Gen theme going.

upandaway

Keep Growlithe until he learns Flare Blitz, otherwise you'll get an Arcanine without a physical fire move. You get the move relearner in the city after Nimbasa but I think you still can't learn Flare Blitz if you evolve him now
You're in the same levels I was in Nimbasa and I'm playing Hard Mode so you should be fine.

Actually on my first playthrough I was also stuck at 4 Pokemon until after the league but hopefully you'll be able to find two before then. It's not a big deal if you don't because there's quite a lot of game to play after the league too.

Buttons

I've been so busy lately that I hardly had time to play anything but I was playing White 2 on the side and finally beat the Pokemon League, was pretty happy with my team. Was also my first Pokemon game where I managed to keep my unevolved Psyduck until the end.

It was actually pretty funny, Iris' Haxorus survived Lucario's Ice Punch by way too much and killed it and then continued to maul some of my other Pokemon. I send in my trusty lv59 Psyduck and he finishes it off with Ice beam, gogo Psyduck! xD

photoztp91.jpg

I just wish some Pokemon would stay as cool when they evolved but the cute Oshawott and cool Dewott evolved into something so ugly I don't want to use it again. :/

Top Bottom