• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Classic Appreciation Thread: I want to be the very best!

Kokonoe

Banned
wat

In November 2000, Uri Geller, a man claiming to be a psychic who is to be able to bend spoons with psychic powers, tried to sue Nintendo for £60 million (the equivalent of US $100 million), claiming that Kadabra, known as Yungerer in Japan, was an unauthorized parody of himself. Besides Kadabra's use of bent spoons to enhance its psychic powers, the katakana for its name, ユンゲラー, is visually similar to the transliteration of his own name into Japanese (ユリゲラー).

He also claimed that Kadabra was anti-Semitic in nature, with the star on its forehead and lightning bolts resembling the logo of the Nazi SS. He is quoted as saying: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."

The lawsuit was thrown out of court. Despite this, there has not been a Kadabra card in the Trading Card Game since Skyridge in 2003 and Kadabra has not appeared in the Pokémon anime since Fear Factor Phony, perhaps as a precaution against Geller's history of lawsuits. Abra and Alakazam cards have continued to be printed, despite the fact that this makes it impossible to play Alakazam cards in matches that prevent the use of older cards without a card that specifically allows evolved Pokémon to be played. However, the only Abra card released after Skyridge, in Mysterious Treasures, has an attack that allows it to evolve directly into Alakazam, skipping the Kadabra stage.

That means that there isn't a single Kadabra in the modern TCG. Wow.

Picture of the guy.

vmWZva4.png

qq more

Holy shit. I have heard of this, but I did not know they haven't brought back Kadabra since then. What an asshole :/

qq more

The main reason I collected the TCG was for the art work.

Did anyone actually play the Pokemon TCG? I've never once played it, lol

I've only played the GBC game a long time ago. It was pretty fun. I've never played the real card games but I seem to have a few cards for some reason...

Anth0ny

I've only played the GBC game a long time ago. It was pretty fun. I've never played the real card games but I seem to have a few cards for some reason...

Same. GBC game was awesome.

Always wanted to play the second one. Apparently there's a good translation finally out there...

What about the Topps trading cards? Has anyone mentioned those? They used artwork from the anime, and they were just for trading. They didn't have a game to go along with them.

N2mvFwB.jpg

I had a full set of the first three series, but I have no idea where they're at now. :(

Nice to see you here, Ike.

Yeah, I love that sprite as well. I actually love the coloring pallete of Gold and Silver overall, it kind of brought out the most vivid colors I've seen for a lot of the Pokemon.

Nice to be here! :)

You and I have talked about it before, but I like the Silver sprite even better than the animated Crystal one just because the colors are so great!

And welcome to the thread, Ike!

Hi!

Anth0ny

What about the Topps trading cards? Has anyone mentioned those? They used artwork from the anime, and they were just for trading. They didn't have a game to go along with them.

N2mvFwB.jpg

I had a full set of the first three series, but I have no idea where they're at now. :(

oh god yeah I still have those lol

If they were holographic, 8 year old me had to have it.

Since Gen 3 was ten years ago and we're on to Gen 6. How come Gen 3 isn't on the list yet?

cause that's when they started to get shitty.

YEAH I SAID IT

Kokonoe

Banned
I loved this artwork of Ken Sugimori for Gengar.

MXLq4qr.jpg

The TCG images usually have the highest quality pics you can find of his older artwork.

I did. I have over at least over 10,000 cards spanning from 1998-2006. I only stopped when the Diamond and Pearl cards changed the game thus made all my decks worthless which upset me at the time. I tried getting into the newer cards, but I haven't been able to. Don't care much for the change.

It's honestly just as fun as the actual games, or at least was. I loved being able to create decks out of thin air so to speak.

Same. GBC game was awesome.

Always wanted to play the second one. Apparently there's a good translation finally out there...

It's entirely translated. You use Lunar IPS and just patch the rom with the translation file. Good fun. It also has updated graphics, as in, more colors across all the previous cards and game and of course, newer cards such as Team Rocket like Dark Charizard.

Also has one Johto card, one that has Ken Sugimori's artwork of Lugia. Lugia card.

6qjg7my.png

Dunno if it's been posted yet, but Kyle Landry did an awesome piano cover of some of the Pokemon area songs:

Pokemon Medley

nostalgia...at the 6:37 part. Lovely.

oh god yeah I still have those lol

If they were holographic, 8 year old me had to have it.

YEAH I SAID IT

LOL settle down, Anth0ny.

N2mvFwB.jpg

Nice to be here! :)

You and I have talked about it before, but I like the Silver sprite even better than the animated Crystal one just because the colors are so great!

Hi!

=)

Oh dude...I had like a billion of those things. I may still have some. They were the cheaper alternative to Pokemon cards, but they still rocked.

Since Gen 3 was ten years ago and we're on to Gen 6. How come Gen 3 isn't on the list yet?

Answered earlier on in this thread. But Gen I and Gen II are their own series. The regions are connected, Gen II is the direct sequel to Gen I, and the anime refers to Gen I and Gen II as "Original Series". Gen III marked a change in how everything was designed.

How about the Burger King gold cards? Have they been discussed?

05j1Wwx.jpg

I remember all of my friends at school talking about wanting them and me thinking I'd never get them. But my mom bought me the full set for Christmas that year. I need to find them and put them out on display!

qq more

I recall having the PokeBall from it, but I think someone given me it from school. I never had anything else from that. ...I wonder if I still have that PokeBall?

Nudull

Banned
I loved this artwork of Ken Sugimori for Gengar.

MXLq4qr.jpg

The TCG images usually have the highest quality pics you can find of his older artwork.

Part of the fun with collecting Pokémon cards is in the art alone. Even as a kid, I'd fawn over the bizzare and beautiful renditions of each card for hours. Ken Sugimori's art was especially awesome. :)

Firestorm

With 1500 people at last year's US National Championships, I'd say yes. But yeah, I played casually at a local league when I was 11 or 12. Stopped for a decade or so and picked it up again last year competitively.

YEAH I SAID IT
I think you mean Gen 2 ;) Gen 1 best
TCG seems to have a lot of beautiful artwork. I love it.
Agreed! One of my favourites (likely because I've been using it in a deck for over a year now) is this one:

Love the style. Though this is probably my #1 favourite I've seen recently:

And I was too late on the boat but the HGSS Legend cards (needed to combine to cards to use) were ridiculously pretty:

Castcoder

Banned
Just bought Red, Yellow, Gold and Silver for $80 on eBay. I just got Yellow last week, but I'm giving the extra Yellow to a friend for Christmas, so all is good. I now have the original 6 games. I already had Blue and Crystal. I think college is just ressurecting retro Pokemon for me. I'm even planning to EV train in Black 2 and X/Y now.

I'm also beginning the TCG. I'd appreciate some deck advice for a newcomer, and I'm looking to buy.

I have a signed copy of Soul Silver signed by Sugimori. I think I'll post a pic of my collection at some point soon.
Main things I'm missing from the collection are the Neo card collections.

Hobobloke

I remember getting a huge box of Pokemon cards from some relative who had a son that didn't want his anymore.

No-one I knew played the TCG and I had no idea how it worked so I'd just lay them out on my floor reading them and admiring the art, thought my Dark Charizard was the shit.

Firestorm

Just bought Red, Yellow, Gold and Silver for $80 on eBay. I just got Yellow last week, but I'm giving the extra Yellow to a friend for Christmas, so all is good. I now have the original 6 games. I already had Blue and Crystal. I think college is just ressurecting retro Pokemon for me. I'm even planning to EV train in Black 2 and X/Y now.

I'm also beginning the TCG. I'd appreciate some deck advice for a newcomer, and I'm looking to buy.
You'll want to play something that doesn't use the card Tropical Beach to keep costs low. Darkrai / Garbodor is a top tier threat and should be relatively cheap to build. Trubbish / Sigilyph / Masquerain is also a fun deck that can somewhat hold its own.

Check out websites:
And I can also answer any questions in the Pokemon Community Thread. I usually check it frequently enough. For playing the video game competitively, I help run a competitive video game website called http://nuggetbridge.com

Video Game tournaments are held usually alongside the larger TCG tournaments.

Kokonoe

Banned
I have that Charizard EX! Actually, I went through a terrible thunderstorm to get it.

When I was a child, I use to have a phobia of thunderstorms which is now gone. Anyhow, I went riding with my mother to Walmart since a thunderstorm was very close and for some reason I felt safer in the car. We got to an underpass and the car started shaking left and right, because the wind was blowing crazy, I thought it was a tornado. It died down after a few minutes but it was still raining pretty bad. We went to one Walmart, but the power went out as we arrived. So, we drove to another one, and the power was on so we went in. I kept thinking I wasn't going to get anything rare, and someone told me "Watch. You'll get like Charizard EX or something" and I laughed, but when I opened the package, there it was, Charizard EX. It's been in my binder case ever since. I have never used it or let it leave the case.

The card is worth about 100$ last I checked. It's the EX version of the original Charizard. I ought to post pictures of some of my cards.

qq more

I have a signed copy of Soul Silver signed by Sugimori. I think I'll post a pic of my collection at some point soon.
Main things I'm missing from the collection are the Neo card collections.
That's pretty awesome dude! Did you get to meet him in person?

I have that Charizard EX! Actually, I went through a terrible thunderstorm to get it.

When I was a child, I use to have a phobia of thunderstorms which is now gone. Anyhow, I went riding with my mother to Walmart since a thunderstorm was very close and for some reason I felt safer in the car. We got to an underpass and the car started shaking left and right, because the wind was blowing crazy, I thought it was a tornado. It died down after a few minutes but it was still raining pretty bad. We went to one Walmart, but the power went out as we arrived. So, we drove to another one, and the power was on so we went in. I kept thinking I wasn't going to get anything rare, and someone told me "Watch. You'll get like Charizard EX or something" and I laughed, but when I opened the package, there it was, Charizard EX. It's been in my binder case ever since. I have never used it or let it leave the case.

The card is worth about 100$ last I checked. It's the EX version of the original Charizard. I ought to post pictures of some of my cards.

Hahah wow. Talk about amazing luck.

By the way, does anyone remember this board game?

pUELKa1.jpg

(photo not mines)

I used to have this but I've lost most of the pieces and the board game along with it over the years sadly. I kind of want to re-buy it sometime for the nostalgia. I remember when Gold/Silver was out, I tried to make a Johto version of the board game by using crappy cardboard :lol

Now I wonder if there was a Johto edition of this...

Jezan

pUELKa1.jpg

(photo not mines)

I used to have this but I've lost most of the pieces and the board game along with it over the years sadly. I kind of want to re-buy it sometime for the nostalgia. I remember when Gold/Silver was out, I tried to make a Johto version of the board game by using crappy cardboard :lol

Wow!
I have it, but I don't know where it is. I must find it.

Toxi

Banned
That board game took forever to finish.

Also, does anyone remember the Red/Blue guide with the sprites on the front? There was one with all the sprites on the front that was the main thing that got me into Pokemon. I loved looking through the Sugimori art.

094.png

YEAH I SAID IT
Anth0ny 0uted

-Horizon-

pUELKa1.jpg

(photo not mines)

I remember getting that for one of my friend's birthday.

That's pretty awesome dude! Did you get to meet him in person?.

Unfortunately no. This was in London, and I was unable to make it, but my friend was a hero and got me a copy of the game and got him to sign it. Gutted I couldn't meet him, but I will try next time hopefully.

qq more

Unfortunately no. This was in London, and I was unable to make it, but my friend was a hero and got me a copy of the game and got him to sign it. Gutted I couldn't meet him, but I will try next time hopefully.
Dang. :( At least it's still something great!

That was pretty neat, wish I still had mine.
I still find random pieces of it around the house to this day. I'm not sure how.

That board game was pretty good. I think they had a sequel to it, but I never got it. I also had this.

k0Nrett.jpg

I think I remember this. Every gaming franchise apparently had this. lol

Augh, Versus Books! That shit kicked ass! I still have my (cover-less) copy.

I also recall seeing those "Pokémon on the Island" illustrations in a magazine some time back. Weren't they for the Japanese TCG?

I loved their books, I remember being about 14 years old thinking I was too cool for Pokemon and that I wouldn't buy Crystal even though I loved Gold/Silver. I stumbled on the Versus guide at Blockbuster and convinced me to buy it and Crystal went on to being my favorite game in the series.

Hell yeah, the artwork was my favorite part of collecting and playing. It was also a huge reason I quit when they moved more towards 3D graphic stuff; it just lost their appeal for me.

I played the TCG a lot as a kid, but never competitively. Don't know the current state of the game but, at least in the past, all the coin flips were annoying.

wat

That means that there isn't a single Kadabra in the modern TCG. Wow.

Picture of the guy.

vmWZva4.png

You know, I've only ever heard of this guy on Japanese TV. Hes been on there off and on since like the 80s. Apparently hes some kind of pseudo celeb there that shows up about once every 5+ years, but I have never fucking heard of him outside that country lol. He lives in America too apparently but never got famous here.

Top Bottom