• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Classic Appreciation Thread: I want to be the very best!

Chojin

Oooh neat. I'm 33 but I still love me some Pokemon. I don't think I'm a crazy fan, but I've been playing since the first games on gameboy. I never traded much until the DS games where you could do so online and I got a buddy out in michigan and we trade back and forth online.

I tend to be careful of what I name my pokemons these days due to GTS. But back in the day I thought the most clever thing I could do was name my Dugtrio "PenalClny" and later on PenalColony in later gens.

I tend to give pokemon really awful names :p

Dunno if I have a favorite Pokemon. I guess Bulbasaur?

Oh, I got to meet Rachael Lillis a few times at cons She did the voice of Misty, Jesse, and Jigglypuff and Squirtle and a bunch of other characters in the english dub. She's really nice!

EDIT: Ah, nevermind.

Gen II gave us the best starter of all time:
cyndaquil.jpg

Firemind

My childhood in a nutshell. I remember TCG Charizards being the hottest thing on earth at the time. I wanted to try another TCG called Magic the Gathering and traded it for a Grim Monolith and other nonsense. I didn't even care I got ripped off. Pokemon brought so many things into my life and for that I salute you, Satoshi.

qq more

Then shouldn't this be in Community instead of Gaming?

That being said, Gen II gave us the best starter of all time:
cyndaquil.jpg

Like I said in the previous post: "Community threads don't get sent to the community until a week later I believe. They start in the gaming side for exposure. " :)

Cyndaquil is hella cool. I remember the days when my brother tried to make a Cyndaquil fan game. It was funny but he never completed it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I want these on the VC. Every single game you mentioned in the OP. PLEASE.

That would be pretty sweet. Would be amazing if they added the ability to trade/battle, but even if not, I wouldn't mind forking over to get digital versions for my 3DS XL.

Excuse me. should have worded more carefully. "There are enough people with fond memories of the old games and little interest in playing the new ones that reading about x and y isn't more than a passing curiousity for them."

It's not a New Pokémon Community, it's a Pokémon Community. Maybe if certain posters actually tried to do more in that thread than passive aggressively bitch about what everyone else was posting, we could have a broader range of discussion.

sgt jumpy

Banned
I missed out in RSE. Maybe I should try to pick up Emerald at GS... Pearl wasn't bad, Black was great, White 2 is badass. All the games in the mainline series have been quality. I'm 26 now. Pokemon Snap and Stafium were fun. N64 R.I.P.

Got these all signed by Veronica Taylor last year
I just wanted to spread the word that Veronica Taylor, the original dub voice of Ash Ketchum, is THE NICEST AND SWEETEST PERSON IN THE WORLD. Met her today at NYCC. Free signings of anything you bring (she had an 8x10 and a cute hand-drawn Pokemon tcg card of herself for sale if you didn't have anything with you), free photo, she'll converse with you and even offered my friend some voice acting career advice. If she is at a convention near you GO. In terms of meeting your childhood idols, there is nothing more you could ask of a person.

Vashetti

Banned
Beautiful OT. Subbed.

I don't care what anyone says, the majority of newer Pokémon are creatively defective compared to Gen I & II.

X & Y seems to be remedying this slightly, but they are still not up to scratch.

A Fire/Red and Leaf/Green/Blue refresh for the 3DS would be lovely.

Seda

I got a few complaints about this thread and it's existence alongside the main Pokemon Community thread. After brief discussion with the other mods I decided there's a place for discussion here about the classic Pokemon titles. Any talk about the Pokemon brand in general can certainly still be brought up in the main community thread, where there are no exclusions.

I'll let this thread sit on the gaming board for a while, and if there's a moderate amount of activity still in time, it'll get moved to the community board with normal Community thread rules.

Now can we please get along? :)

EDIT:

I also changed the title in attempt to distinguish this thread from the existing community thread.

Simply feel free to share your nostalgia of classic Pokemon.

If there's one thing I remember fondly about the first two gens, it was going into the games without having already having the entire plot and Pokédex spoiled for me. Ah, those were the days...

Oh yeah, and Australia getting anime episodes months ahead of the US, since Channel 10 had new eps on 5 days a week. Fun times. =D

RaikuHebi

Banned
I remember getting a strange virus once playing pokemon silver version on GBC. I was really wondering what was happening and though that my pokemon might die. It was also contagious and wa wondering if it was some kind of bug.

The virus is called pokerus.

Some info from Pokezam:

When battling, there is a 2 in 65,535 chance that your Pokemon will become infected with the Pokerus virus; thus, most players will never see this virus in their game. However, if you do, you should feel very lucky. If you don't believe that this virus exists, look in Nintendo Power Volume 144 in the Pokemon Center to see Nintendo admit that this virus exists.

If your Pokemon has the virus and you look at its status, it will read, "POKÉRUS". If you go and talk to Nurse Joy or Professor Elm they will explain that the virus is harmless and will wear off over time. The virus is also very contagious and can easily infect your whole party or even one of your PC boxes. If you're interested on how long it takes to go away, it takes about 5 days for a Pokemon's immune system to fight off the virus and when the Pokemon's cured, it's cured forever! If a Pokemon is cured forever a red dot will appear on their status screen.

Pokerus may sound like a bad thing, but it's actually good. If a Pokemon is infected with the virus, its stats grow twice as fast as normal, while still receiving normal experience for level. So if your Pokemon catch Pokerus, don't be scared, be happy because it will help your team, not hurt it.

here are pictures of this event:
rus3.gif

rus2.gif

rus.gif
mind-blown.gif

So what's the stupidest card trade we made as kids? Once I traded away a Machamp I got out of the Starter Pack pretty much immediately for... I dunno, like a Pikachu and a bunch of Energy?

I was a dumb kid.

If there's one thing I remember fondly about the first two gens, it was going into the games without having already having the entire plot and Pokédex spoiled for me. Ah, those were the days...

Those days are with us once more!

udivision

H-Has this been a problem in past Pokemon threads?

Nintendo community threads tend to be.. dumb. There's this theme of "what if innocent thing X was mature/adult!??!" which leads to a lot of art and lewd jokes that Stump was talking about in that post mentioned in the OP. The irony.

Anth0ny

Beautiful OT. Subbed.

I don't care what anyone says, the majority of newer Pokémon are creatively defective compared to Gen I & II.

X & Y seems to be remedying this slightly, but they are still not up to scratch.

A Fire/Red and Leaf/Green/Blue refresh for the 3DS would be lovely.

I think every gen has good and bad designs. Gens 1 and 2 just had more good than bad, and the same can't be said for the rest ^_^

A couple of weeks ago, my cousin gave me his Pokemon Blue. With that, I now own every mainline Gen 1 and 2 game.

Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Green (J)
Pokemon Yellow (also Japanese Version)

Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Crystal (also Japanese Version)

Need to get on dat Japanese Pokemon Red!

One of the reasons why I'm kinda really excited for X and Y :)

Excuse me. should have worded more carefully. "There are enough people with fond memories of the old games and little interest in playing the new ones that reading about x and y isn't more than a passing curiousity for them."

I guess there are people like that. My favorite gen is gen 1, but I loved the other games after that. I thought I had outgrown Pokemon when I played Black version and didn't feel it. However, I am stupidly excited over X and Y and all the Pokemon designs they have shown, so the Black version thing must've been the game itself and not me. I'm 26 now.

Is that AGS101? That's the same exact model I had when I was replaying Blue recently.

AGS-001, apparently. Bought it in 2006, still works like a charm, but the battery has lost some of its power.

In fact I just tried to turn it on to see if the battery has been spent (last time I played on it was last summer, a year ago), and the battery is still in top shape even though it hasn't been charged in-between. o_O

qq more

AGS-001, apparently. Bought it in 2006, still works like a charm, but the battery has lost some of its power.

In fact I just tried to turn it on to see if the battery has been spent (last time I played on it was last summer, a year ago), and the battery is still in top shape even though it hasn't been charged in-between. o_O

Oh wow. That's pretty amazing.

In my more than a decade of playing these games I've never noticed one of my Pokemon to have Pokerus, and have only encountered one shiny. So much unplunged depth to thee games, especially the first gen where a lot of us weren't using the internet. I miss those wild times where you could pull a rumor out of your ass, spread it to a few friends, and a week later have the whole school trying to evolve Golduck into its third and final form by using a water stone in a specific dungeon.

Vashetti

Banned
In primary school we all genuinely believed that Pokémon were real in Japan, and one of my friends convinced the rest of us that he was going to go there on holiday, and he said he would bring back our favourites.

Good times.

Anyone else get the official Mew when Pokemon went on tour around 2000? I have fond memories of the lady doing the transfer calling me Gary because she saw my MC was named after the star child Oak. It was pretty funny for me at the time. I came home with two badges the Boulder and Cerulean. I still have them somewhere...

Firemind

He gave up training and started working on becoming a Pokemon professor.

RIP Gary Oak.

I loved the first seasons of the TV show. I remember me and my friends lined up for the movie and got those bitchin' promos we could use for our decks. Great movie too. Still have the soundtrack. I remember I listened to this a lot back in the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvsmf6cdCSE. Got me so hyped for the movie.

But of course the best Pokemon song of all time is (besides the TV opening and the Pokérap): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6f6DWp7Nk

EYEL1NER

Nice OP and info. I can't believe I never knew that a second TVG game existed on the GameBoy. Wish that would have been localized...

Anyway, Gen 1 is still my favorite gen solely because of the roster. With every new gen, I find it harder and harder to get through the games because I hate more and more 'mons. I enter a field of grass, hoping to find someone new to catch, a wild Pokemon appears that I have never seen before, and the only thing I can think is "Really?! That guy looks lame as fuck!" There were some terrible designs in Gen 1 but I liked the majority of them. And I liked the starters more than any following gen. So it will always be my favorite.

Top Bottom