• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Classic Appreciation Thread: I want to be the very best!

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm so glad I bought this Nvidia Shield. I can play Pokemon Gold without losing my save file and on a nice IPS screen.

Route 27 is just a pure nostalgia trip. I like die when I listen to it, it pulls the heart strings because it just reminds me of my first time going to Kanto in Gold. So dang awesome.

My top two favorite Pokemon songs of all time are these.

2. Pokémon Red & Blue - Final Battle / VS. Rival [HQ]

1. Pokémon Gold & Silver - Final Battle / VS. Red [HQ]

My heart!

Haha~ Will do.

Gold/Silver Champion theme is the best.

9wcreg7.gif

Anth0ny

I see no difference in pacing between the new games and the old games. I notice I'm no longer 10 years old, but other than that there's really not much of a difference.

Is it really that hard to notice? It's quite blatant. There are far more "cutscenes" and unskippable dialogue in the newer games. Black 2 was damn near unbearable for me.

Compare gen 1, which had only your rival following and stopping you around the map, to gen 5, where you have:

-THREE rivals, two are friends and one is the true rival
-the professor, randomly waiting for you in a town and ready to deliver a boatload of tutorial text
-the champion of the region, who is following you for some reason
-the team rocket equivalent
-your phone, which you can't skip sometimes

too damn much

There's a human element hinted at frequently throughout the games that's never really capitalized on. The fact that villain teams, tournament battling, and flamboyant mythology are needed to keep the Pokémon world from simply falling into a dead state is telling (really, everything else happening is constructive, no conflict involved). Less lovely, more scruffy! Characters like Blue and Kurt are actually pretty interesting, the former for his fall and rise, the latter because of the conflict between local chestnuts and corporate PokéBalls (supposing there is one, lol). I know I'm veering into fan-fiction upon bringing up the possibility that Kanto's a relatively new region in terms of development, not too unlike the post-war Japan Tajiri grew up in; I guess I really just want more complex world-building and humanity to a franchise dedicated to utopianism.

This is one reason Colosseum appeals to me, but Orre's not really what I have in mind. There are ways to do all the above and still have a family-friendly mainline title—the developers probably trust their formula too much to consider anything else.

PBalfredo

The thing that weirds me out the most about R/B/G/Y Pokemon was how undeniably OP Psychic type pokemon were. They were the one type with no real counter. They were suppose to be weak to Bug and Ghost type on paper, but the opposite was true in gameplay. There were no Ghost or Bug type attacks of any significance and all the Bug and Ghost type pokemon were also Poison type, which is weak against Psychic! How did that blunder get through? Though it did make a nice occurrence of gameplay And story integration with Mewtwo (a OP psychic type) being the "ultimate pokemon".

Kokonoe

Banned
There's a human element hinted at frequently throughout the games that's never really capitalized on. The fact that villain teams, tournament battling, and flamboyant mythology are needed to keep the Pokémon world from simply falling into a dead state is telling (really, everything else happening is constructive, no conflict involved). Less lovely, more scruffy! Characters like Blue and Kurt are actually pretty interesting, the former for his fall and rise, the latter because of the conflict between local chestnuts and corporate PokéBalls (supposing there is one, lol). I know I'm veering into fan-fiction upon bringing up the possibility that Kanto's a relatively new region in terms of development, not too unlike the post-war Japan Tajiri grew up in; I guess I really just want more complex world-building and humanity to a franchise dedicated to utopianism.

This is one reason Colosseum appeals to me, but Orre's not really what I have in mind. There are ways to do all the above and still have a family-friendly mainline title—the developers probably trust their formula too much to consider anything else.

At the time, I kind wished Colosseum and XD were your typical Pokemon games, but as years went by, I learned to respect how different they were and it made me realize that it was honestly pretty cool that they were sort of unique in story progression and world theme by comparison to the mainline titles. Only thing I really could say they could do is make it where you can walk in the wild instead of using the bike to instantly teleport to your destination. Still, they are both great games.

I kind of feel Gamefreak plays it way too safe with the Pokemon franchise. I could understand if they weren't essentially guaranteed sales, but Pokemon is insanely popular, they can get away with almost anything and they'll still sell like hotcakes. Least we're finally getting 3D!

Anth0ny

The thing that weirds me out the most about R/B/G/Y Pokemon was how undeniably OP Psychic type pokemon were. They were the one type with no real counter. They were suppose to be weak to Bug and Ghost type on paper, but the opposite was true in gameplay. There were no Ghost or Bug type attacks of any significance and all the Bug and Ghost type pokemon were also Poison type, which is weak against Psychic! How did that blunder get through? Though it did make a nice occurrence of gameplay And story integration with Mewtwo (a OP psychic type) being the "ultimate pokemon".

I remember reading guides back in the day that kept saying "Jolteon with PIN MISSILE IS DA UBER PSYCHIC COUNTER"

that shit did like 5 damage lol

entremet

I remember reading guides back in the day that kept saying "Jolteon with PIN MISSILE IS DA UBER PSYCHIC COUNTER"

that shit did like 5 damage lol

My Jolteon was the Mewtwo killer in Pokemon Stadium 1. Before the special stat split, it was rather bulky against Psychic attacks, plus Twave to slow down Mewtwo. Plus crit hit rate was tied to speed in Gen I, so he got a lot of those.

Kokonoe

Banned
^ I love that Horsea artwork. It's also featured on the card "Misty's Horsea".

BItz93Z.jpg

Someone should make a Hyper Beam dubstep.

VALLtKZ.png

WUBWUBWUB

Kokonoe

Banned
I still have that guide on the left somewhere... The sprite stickers were just straight up awesome. They never did that again which sucked.

I have some of the stickers still on my cartridge cases for stylin'.

qq more

One of my bros had a Pokemon Stadium strategy guide... no idea where it went sadly.

Awesome. Looks great.

Thanks! Spriting in GSC is very very tough but so satisfying haha.

I'll do more sprites in RBY/GSC style if anyone is still interested. Just tell me any Pokemon character to sprite and I'll do it!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I miss these old days. I know the new Pokemon games are great, but the more I read this thread and see these pictures, the more I miss the basic concept and feeling associated with R/B/Y.

JazzmanZ

The best thing about ye old Pokemon was its distant cousin show Digimon, watching the first series on Netflix made me realize how deep it could get...

There was also the real ripoff Monster rancher, which I guess was ok.

Kokonoe

Banned
One of my bros had a Pokemon Stadium strategy guide... no idea where it went sadly.

Thanks! Spriting in GSC is very very tough but so satisfying haha.

I'll do more sprites in RBY/GSC style if anyone is still interested. Just tell me any Pokemon character to sprite and I'll do it!

I had a Stadium one as well, although it was Tips N Tricks.

You should post your Brendan sprite.

The best thing about ye old Pokemon was its distant cousin show Digimon, watching the first series on Netflix made me realize how deep it could get...

Monster Rancher....dang that's been a while. I never got to finish watching it cause they like cancelled the show. -writes on a piece of paper something I need to watch-

qq more

I can't get over how the major villain was named Moo

Moo

lol

LOL

qq more

You need to change the colors. Here are the proper colors to use.

http://i.imgur.com/098UDno.png

Other than that, it looks great.

His name was Moo? lol I can't remember.

Are you referring to how the roads are yellowish? I exported the pics when the palette was set to "Morning" (the roads are the only differences between Morning and Day apparently). I can change them to Day and even post a Night version if you're interested!

Sadly the map editor doesn't load town-specific palettes for the houses. I could just manually recolor them though.

Thanks!

And yes, it totally was. I laugh every time they say his name. It's a serious villain... with the most hilarious name. oh god :lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Are you referring to how the roads are yellowish? I exported the pics when the palette was set to "Morning" (the roads are the only differences between Morning and Day apparently).

Sadly the map editor doesn't load town-specific palettes for the houses. I could just manually recolor them though.

Thanks!

And yes, it totally was. I laugh every time they say his name. It's a serious villain... with the most hilarious name. oh god :lol

Oh, that explains it! Dat night/day time system. I appreciate the time system more in sprite only games since it's a tad more difficult to do since they are sprites and not using a lighting source.

post a pic of moo.

qq more

Oh, that explains it! Dat night/day time system. I appreciate the time system more in sprite only games since it's a tad more difficult to do since they are sprites and not using a lighting source.

post a pic of moo.

Yeah, there's something really neat about day/night cycle in sprite based games. They look so neat when done right. I'll post those Night versions of the maps soon.

Also, I have a hard time finding his main form, so I ended up finding I think is his final form... so *SPOILERS*: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100731034440/monsterrancher/images/a/aa/Moo.jpg

Rizsparky

Save the monsters from the evil Moo, Monster's rule!

Moosichu

I really want to make a post about some Pokemon Rom Hacks that have changed the originals enough to give me that sense of wonder but because they use the old graphics also combine in the nostalgic feel on top of that. But before that, what are the rules for linking to websites which have links to the patches?

If only Nintendo would reach out to these creators and release these games on the virtual console.

qq more

I really want to make a post about some Pokemon Rom Hacks that have changed the originals enough to give me that sense of wonder but because they use the old graphics also combine in the nostalgic feel on top of that. But before that, what are the rules for linking to websites which have links to the patches?

If only Nintendo would reach out to these creators and release these games on the virtual console.

Patches should be okay, but you should probably ask a mod about that just to be safe.

-Horizon-

I remember watching Rancher and I think I played the game at a friends house...lol

was it for PS1?

Ezalc

I remember reading a long time ago about a rom hack that would change the games so that you could play as Team Rocket. I always thought that would be pretty fun. Guess the Colosseum games were the closest we got to this in a way.

qq more

I remember reading a long time ago about a rom hack that would change the games so that you could play as Team Rocket. I always thought that would be pretty fun. Guess the Colosseum games were the closest we got to this in a way.

What is the name of this rom hack? Did it get completed?

Wazzy

Banned
I was just watching the third Pokemon movie and I still can't believe they never released the soundtrack for it. I honestly think it's my favourite of the first 3 movies(I didn't watch the later ones) and I'd do anything to get a proper clean download of the Misty vs Molly battle. :(

And yes I remember that. I also remember a magazine called Tips N Tricks that didn't have a chock full of ads and dumb stuff. Mainly cheat codes and gaming news, which is what it should be about.
Oh man, I loooved Tips N Tricks. I still have some of their codebooks (the special issues that compiled codes for all of their systems). I might make a nostalgia thread about them sometime, they were great. Definitely my equivalent to Nintendo Power.

I'd like to have a legitimate discussion with GAF about what the new games do better and what they do worse, but it usually degenerates into "lol nosepass looks like shit"

I think the biggest problem with the new games, FAR beyond the character design, is the PACING. The new games essentially tell the same story gens 1 and 2 did, but slower, more drawn out, with more filler text, tutorials, boring characters and dialogue. That's what kills me about the newer games, whereas Gens 1 and 2 did not have this problem.

I'll write an essay about it one day :p
It's interesting, I started a new save file on Black 2 and it feels a lot like my original Blue run, where I was surprised at how easily I was blowing through the game. Of course, as an 8 year old kid playing Pokemon I was only training up my Blastoise, whereas my current team is far more balanced (though today I grinded for Emboar who's now about 10 levels above everyone else). But six hours in and I already have three badges, and I'm about to fight the fourth.

I have a tendency of putzing around in Pokemon games and leveling everyone I catch, but this time I'm just kind of catching monsters that jump out at me and grinding on Audino, and I'm really enjoying it.

Anth0ny

I read this shit so much I wore it out. Fantastic guide.

Some of the hacks nowadays are really spectacular. Someone even fixed the back sprites and colorized gen 1:

Video

Psxphile

Nice thread.

Great thread! I'll start with posting our heroes in one of the best artwork of the entire series:

ZCl5bQx.jpg

9SGcBXI.png
A wild BLUE appears!

I'm glad she was brought back for the 3rd gen remakes (as 'Leaf'), but I'm still bummed she got left out of the original games. More to the point, I feel like they erred by hewing too close to the original game template for the remakes and not making her another (friendlier) rival to Red and vice-versa, with dialgoue and the whole nine yards (as they did with HeartGold/SoulSilver). A missed opportunity.

I had that one Pokemon guide but it's a shame someone had already used up all the stickers. Pokemon Nintendo Power guides are the best, I'm only missing one or two more...

Gen II is my favorite for a lot of reasons.

Favorite Pokémon Sprite - Arcanine (Silver/Crystal Versions)

jw6jh7P.png
kvB5VXC.gif

Favorite Starter Trio - Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile

op55Vk3.png

Favorite Legendary Trio - Raikou, Entei, Suicune

HCFAG55.png

Favorite Region - Johto/Kanto

Y7I34nl.png

Favorite Pokémon Game - Pokémon Crystal

ZC83mOJ.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
Nice to see you here, Ike.

Yeah, I love that sprite as well. I actually love the coloring pallete of Gold and Silver overall, it kind of brought out the most vivid colors I've seen for a lot of the Pokemon.

Flareon is like super red, which rocks.

i7s1JwDK9OJ7P.png

and of course, BURNING ATTACK!

ibi6LwXfNqY70I.gif

qq more

Yeah, the palette is definitely one of my favorite things about GBC visuals in general.

That reminds me, I was bored last night and started making my own GSC styled tilesets.

I made some houses 'w'

GSChouses.png

And welcome to the thread, Ike!

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, the palette is definitely one of my favorite things about GBC visuals in general.

That reminds me, I was bored last night and started making my own GSC styled tilesets.

I made some houses 'w'

GSChouses.png

And welcome to the thread, Ike!

Looks good. Perhaps you should try something challenging. Like...Rayquaza in GSC.

Top Bottom