• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Classic Appreciation Thread: I want to be the very best!

-Horizon-

Let me show you my Pokéma... my Pokédex.

The stickers were included with some popular chewing gums, strange since they were really cheap and back in the day every Pokémon related product was ridiculously overpriced. Despite being very frequent and popular there was a bunch of extremely rare stickers, luckily I was able to find all the 150 original ones. There was also a new collection with the Jotho Pokémons, but afaik not all Pokémons were included, The quality of the stickers was significantly better, the original ones look like shit now.

I used to carry it with me everytime I went out, the ritual of finding a sticker I didn't have, opening the album and sticking it felt like Ash opening his Pokédex to register the new Pokémon, lol.

Speaking of pokedex, I had the Kanto and the Hoenn one.

qq more

I remember having this electronic Pokedex. Too bad it kind of got busted over the years.

zGYlXNA.jpg

(not my photo obviously)

The second they announce a Pokemon Trading Card Game 3, I will yell fuck yea at the top of my lungs.

I don't understand why they ignore great spinoffs like TCG and Snap. Both sold pretty well too. It amazes me.

Kokonoe

Banned
I knew someone with the Pokedex, but I didn't own one. I had this large Pokeball gaming device where you would move it around and try to get the light in the center to catch a Pokemon.

qq more

I sucked so hard at Red/Blue. I only did the battles I *had* to, which led to issues late game. Well, until I used Butterfree and one or two other overleveled Pokemon. Mainly Butterfree.
Packs of cards used to be at least $7.99 plus tax near my house, if not more. And almost always sold out. It was a treat when I'd walk into the convenience store and actually see some booster packs available.

I've recently seen them go for $3.99 at comic book stores. Times have changed!
We always got our packs for $3 to $4. MWAHAHAHAHA!

I remember having this electronic Pokedex. Too bad it kind of got busted over the years.

zGYlXNA.jpg

(not my photo obviously)

Hot damn, that brings me back. I used to have one of those and kept in my Special Pikachu edition GBC carrying case (along with the special edition GBC). Still got the carrying case and the GBC, but no clue what happened to that Pokedex.

Kokonoe

Banned
Woah... That sounds really interesting, I want to look this up.

here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0BTZhW2pk

I sucked so hard at Red/Blue. I only did the battles I *had* to, which led to issues late game. Well, until I used Butterfree and one or two other overleveled Pokemon. Mainly Butterfree.

We always got our packs for $3 to $4. MWAHAHAHAHA!

Butterfree? That's a pretty unique way to play. Well, I've seen people use Butterfree and myself included, but I've never seen someone take Butterfree all the way. Neat.

Hot damn, that brings me back. I used to have one of those and kept in my Special Pikachu edition GBC carrying case (along with the special edition GBC). Still got the carrying case and the GBC, but no clue what happened to that Pokedex.

Oh snap. That reminds me I have a Gold Ho-Oh case where you can put a Game Boy Color in it. I guess I'll try fitting my GB Boy Colour when it arrives in the mail sometime in the next few weeks.

qq more

here's a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0BTZhW2pk

Oh snap. That reminds me I have a Gold Ho-Oh case where you can put a Game Boy Color in it. I guess I'll try fitting my GB Boy Colour when it arrives in the mail sometime in the next few weeks.
lol Did that Ghastly just did an evil laughter? Thanks for sharing!

Man every day I learn of a Pokemon merchandise from the old era. How many merchandise did they make?! It's insane.

Also that GB Boy Colour, if you've bought it on the same day I did, we should probably expect it next week. I think my copy is already in New Jersey.

I'm hoping Ash takes Charizard with him to Kalos.

I really doubt he will. It's a bad idea for what they're going for with the anime; Ash's journey each arc is supposed to resemble the player's own path through the new games. So bringing a Charizard with him defeats that purpose. Sure, there'll be Serena, the new female trainer, but she's not the main character, unfortunately. So whilst Ash is the viewer avatar, he stays losing.

That's also why the end-of-arc tournaments and following pre-new-game filler are usually so nostalgia-loaded, because they're done with that and new viewers aren't exactly abundant (I would imagine).

Toxi

Banned
Forget Charizard, I'm still waiting for Primeape to make his triumphant return!
I imagine he'll be pissed that Ash changed his hat. Then again, it's Primeape, he's always pissed. What a champ.

I don't normally watch the anime, but Primeape returning would get me to watch whatever episode he appears in. Didn't Ash lose to a guy using a Darkrai? Vital Spirit Primeape eats Darkrais for breakfast.

Kokonoe

Banned
Forget Charizard, I'm still waiting for Primeape to make his triumphant return!

Primeape don't take no one's attitude!
Man, you got me to go dig up my card binders for the first time in over a decade. Hated quitting playing that game.

The cards really are great stuff. They've given me just as many fond memories as the games.

from the other thread

Spr_2g_009.png

Spr_1y_009.png

Spr_2s_009.png

Blastoise is fuckin' boss, yo.

BALLINtoise.

DominoKid

the good old days. idk where my cards are, but i still have some of the keychains from when Burger King had the promo of 150 toys. i still wish i had a Hitmonlee keychain.

i lost my gold plate cards a long time ago.

That board game was pretty good. I think they had a sequel to it, but I never got it. I also had this.

k0Nrett.jpg

my cousin still has this and we use it as our default board.

qq more

I should be getting my GB Boy Colour (GBC clone with backlit) today. It's gonna be so cool replaying Pokemon with it.

Hobobloke

I should be getting my GB Boy Colour (GBC clone with backlit) today. It's gonna be so cool replaying Pokemon with it.

I remember recently I went back to play Yellow thinking I'd play it on my Pokemon GBC for maximum nostalgia, not a chance. Looking back now I don't know how I ever survived without it.

qq more

I remember recently I went back to play Yellow thinking I'd play it on my Pokemon GBC for maximum nostalgia, not a chance. Looking back now I don't know how I ever survived without it.

Yeah, I can't really get back to systems without frontlit/backlit. I'm too spoiled by them.

I got the clone system an hour ago:

It feels comfortable (it pretty much feels a lot like the GBC in terms of shape, the plastic material feels different though, but still very good). The D-Pad works better than expected (it didn't give me any issues playing Mega Man Xtreme 2), it's not perfect though, I can sort of see myself accidentally pressing Up if I am in a really intense moment in a platformer or something.

This doesn't bug me but the speaker is apparently mono. No idea how this compares to a real GBC, my GBC's speakers are broken sadly, so I can't do a comparison myself.

Now my only gripe with it so far is the screen. The resolution isn't perfect 1:1, so some lines of pixels are going to be thicker for no reason. Also there's some dithering going on, but that little aspect doesn't bug me much. This may be a deal breaker for some people. I've only tested 2 games, Pokemon Blue could look better but Mega Man Xtreme 2 looks actually pretty decent.

For a 20 dollar clone though, it's pretty neat.

Toxi

Banned
I remember that I had the opportunity to get an awesome translucent pink GBA, and I went with the Arctic White.

Don't get me wrong, white was cool, but the other one was more snazzy in hindsight... :(

qq more

I remember that I had the opportunity to get an awesome translucent pink GBA, and I went with the Arctic White.

Don't get me wrong, white was cool, but the other one was more snazzy in hindsight... :(

I wish I bought the translucent GBC over the teal one. Stupid kid me!

Here's my card collection -

Basically complete set of Base set 1, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge and Black star promos.

I aim to get a complete Base set 2, and the Neo set, and I'll be happy calling that complete.
9925133615_3b2e9e7ef9_z.jpg

9925200954_955e4c94f1_z.jpg

9925164346_cb91ffe325_z.jpg

qq more

Continued my Blue replay I've began months ago. I made it to Celadon City and got an Eevee and evolved it into Flareon. I've made Flareon learn Body Slam, Quick Attack and Take Down and wiped down Erika's gym... until I faced the leader herself.

Erika murdered my Flareon with her Victreebel's Wrap attack. Victreebel had no mercy and made my Flareon unusable for the entire fight. And with a slap in the face it poisoned poor Flareon to death. Man, I forgot how broken Wrap was in Gen 1, haha.

But I didn't give up, so I've trained it for many levels and have it burned down her Pokemon along with her Gym. AW YEAH! FLAREON IS GOING TO TAKE DOWN KANTO

Current Team:
Flareon L32
Flicky (Pidgeotto) L26
Jim (Wartortle) L26
Dudechu (Pikachu) L23
Catitude (Meowth) L26
BEWBEWBEWW (Mew) L29

4 Badges! Halfway there.

Oh and I didn't name Flareon yet because I haven't come up with a good name for it. Feel free to suggest.

Anth0ny

Here's my card collection -

Basically complete set of Base set 1, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge and Black star promos.

I aim to get a complete Base set 2, and the Neo set, and I'll be happy calling that complete.
9925133615_3b2e9e7ef9_z.jpg

9925200954_955e4c94f1_z.jpg

9925164346_cb91ffe325_z.jpg

god daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

I'd be happy with Base Set to Neo Destiny. I sort of lost interest in the cards around that point.

Top Bottom