• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You're an incredibly common personality on the internet. The internet is full of loners who sit at home looking down on anyone and anything that is popular because they feel they're better than them for being unique. I'm sure that like your brethren, you do the same thing offline as you do online.

Of course people like you exist who think anything after the first generation sucks. I just refer to them the same way I do you and think the term "genwunner" is stupid.

And there's your problem right there. You think it's impossible for people not to like Gen 1 or see its deficiencies, and anyone telling otherwise are "hipsters" or something equivalent? And I seriously hope you don't think genwunners don't exist, it's the same reason its brother, geewunners, exist.

I'll just leave this pic as a reaction!

this-fucking-guy1qu5y.png

So, like, the you of this dimension is a genwunner?

The mirrorworld actually.

harmonize

Uh yeah? Those mons are pretty popular.
Okay I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you so I'll ask again and phrase it a bit more specific to leave no room for misinterpretation: So you think the only reason Gen 3 Pokemon have the most mega evolutions this generation is because it has the most popular Pokemon and because of power creep, and the fact that they coincide with the release of the Hoenn remakes is nothing more than a coincidence?

You showed Yellow... You do know what Yellow is right?
Oh geez I didn't notice! Well I guess they're off the table, since Game Freak has never implemented a third version exclusive character into remakes of their respective initial two versions. Ever. It's seriously never has happened, and they've had tons of opportunities too! I guess Masuda is nothing but a man of tradition; who knows what depths of unmitigated chaos the series would be plunged into if this unwritten rule was ever broken.

EeEztzG.png

And... those personalities are barely even "personalities" especially if you want to go to the route that they just sit in their gyms.
And again, it's so damn unfortunate that there is no precedent in taking these two out of their gyms to have them do something they originally didn't do in the original games. Since nobody has done it before, of course.

G3tgo2W.png

And lol at “they're not personalities”. Sorry to break this to you boss, but all of the personalities are shit in these games.

Change them a lot and you'd have people claiming "they changed the games!!!"
Are you sure they'll be claiming that, or will it be the dreaded strawmen genwunners doing it, a "strawwunner" if you will? The ones that only appear to those who have thoroughly rejected the first generation from their hearts, for only those pure from its retched influence can see the puppeteer behind the curtain, pulling the strings and orchestrating all ill will that has ever befallen our community.

JoeM86

Yeesh. people have differing opinions, guys. Some like Gen 1, some don't. Is that not something that can be accepted?
Okay I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you so I'll ask again and phrase it a bit more specific to leave no room for misinterpretation: So you think the only reason Gen 3 Pokemon have the most mega evolutions this generation is because it has the most popular Pokemon and because of power creep, and the fact that they coincide with the release of the Hoenn remakes is nothing more than a coincidence?

To be fair, they didn't decide to do RS Remakes until November 2012, late in XY's development, so yes it's a coincidence.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I was talking about during the XY era silly. Obviously they added a lot of Hoenn megas in ORAS. I expect them to do the same thing when XZYZ to Kalos mons and maybe some other mons.

Oh geez I didn't notice! Well I guess they're off the table, since Game Freak has never implemented a third version exclusive character into remakes of their respective initial two versions. Ever. It's seriously never has happened, and they've had tons of opportunities too! I guess Masuda is nothing but a man of tradition; who knows what depths of unmitigated chaos the series would be plunged into if this unwritten rule was ever broken.

EeEztzG.png

But Yellow is a special case though. It is literally advertised as "RB with anime flavor". It's technically not "the" third version as well. I'd argue RB IS the third version (remember that Japan got RG and released B, and US got RB).

And again, it's so damn unfortunate that there is no precedent in taking these two out of their gyms to have them do something they originally didn't do in the original games. Since nobody has done it before, of course.

G3tgo2W.png

And lol at “they're not personalities”. Sorry to break this to you boss, but all of the personalities are shit in these games.

Are you sure they'll be claiming that, or will it be the dreaded strawmen genwunners doing it, a "strawwunner" if you will? The ones that only appear to those who have thoroughly rejected the first generation from their hearts, for only those pure from its retched influence can see the puppeteer behind the curtain, pulling the strings and orchestrating all ill will that has ever befallen our community.

Pretty sure I didn't bring genwunner in that point - I'm talking about stuff like in ORAS where you got folks complaining the changes to one of the city or the designs or how they changed the bosses. Hell, changes to the protagonists in HG/SS.

And yeah the personalities are crap in these games, that's a given. But even then I'd argue Misty and Brock are different in their games and anime versions.

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
As a kid I loved the Gen 1 games, but really haven't played a Pokemon in-depth since Gold (I had Diamond but played it very little).

For someone wanting to get back in the series a little bit, would you recommend XY or ORAS? I've read that XY has more Gen 1 throwbacks (which I would enjoy) but ORAS seems to be regarded as the better game.

As a kid I loved the Gen 1 games, but really haven't played a Pokemon in-depth since Gold (I had Diamond but played it very little).

For someone wanting to get back in the series a little bit, would you recommend XY or ORAS? I've read that XY has more Gen 1 throwbacks (which I would enjoy) but ORAS seems to be regarded as the better game.

ORAS is pretty much better in everyway, but the Pokemon selection in XY is a lot better. Honestly it's hard to say, you can't really go wrong with either.
If you are willing to start outside of Gen VI I would recommend Black and White, in many ways these are still the best Pokemon games and are a great jumping in point.

-Horizon-

I've done it. I've finally beaten the elite 4 and Steven in alpha Sapphire. It only took me...the amount of days since the game's were out lol I put it off for too long

Man, screw Steven and his Mega Metagross and it's spamming of giga impact. Was ridiculous. Ludicolo somehow managed to survive with like 10 hp left to deal the finishing blow.

Anyway, I really liked the
cutscene they did at the end with May (since I played as a guy). Felt very...visual novel-esque. Like that was the confession scene of her route or something...it might as well have been with how implied it is throughout the game. No, that is not just close friendship lol. And surprise, had to battle her again. Did not expect that at all. I wonder what would've happened if I lost. When the scene came to the part with the desk, I actually thought my game froze since I thought it was over and had to click a to get back to the title screen. Surprise again, the setup for the next part of the game. Pretty cool with that glowing symbol and to be continued. lol it was funny with the scientist freaking out and the head dude told him to calm down and then I guess we see the new sky pillar and that girl I've seen so much fan art of lol.

Good stuff overall, I like it :D

fr/lg is more in a need of a remake. It's a older title unplayable on any current hardware unlike d/p. They always go with the oldest game for remakes. Fr/lg is now the oldest.

Let's not ignore the sales potential is MUCH higher as well.

The thing about this is that the next handheld (whether it be the NX or something else) probably will be out by 2017 at the latest and is likely to drop DS compatibility so we're back to incompatibility issues again with Johto, Sinnoh and Unova being locked out, assuming a Kanto remake is made.

backlot

The thing about this is that the next handheld (whether it be the NX or something else) probably will be out by 2017 at the latest and is likely to drop DS compatibility so we're back to incompatibility issues again with Johto, Sinnoh and Unova being locked out, assuming a Kanto remake is made.

Bank will be compatible though.

Bank will be compatible though.

A Kanto remake doesn't really have anything to do with Bank. I think Cheebo's point was just that all regions would be playable on the same hardware that's current but if the 3DS successor releases within the next two years which is likely, we're back to square one. It could still happen, I just don't see that as a reason why it would.

I've done it. I've finally beaten the elite 4 and Steven in alpha Sapphire. It only took me...the amount of days since the game's were out lol I put it off for too long

Man, screw Steven and his Mega Metagross and it's spamming of giga impact. Was ridiculous. Ludicolo somehow managed to survive with like 10 hp left to deal the finishing blow.

Anyway, I really liked the
cutscene they did at the end with May (since I played as a guy). Felt very...visual novel-esque. Like that was the confession scene of her route or something...it might as well have been with how implied it is throughout the game. No, that is not just close friendship lol. And surprise, had to battle her again. Did not expect that at all. I wonder what would've happened if I lost. When the scene came to the part with the desk, I actually thought my game froze since I thought it was over and had to click a to get back to the title screen. Surprise again, the setup for the next part of the game. Pretty cool with that glowing symbol and to be continued. lol it was funny with the scientist freaking out and the head dude told him to calm down and then I guess we see the new sky pillar and that girl I've seen so much fan art of lol.

Good stuff overall, I like it :D
The ending was great, I really love how they completely rewrote May and Brendan.

ash_ag

Here's an interesting thought.

Take a look at the Mega Evolution Act III logo:
2u2CU1W.jpg

Now tell me the colours of the 'III' part. "Red and blue!", you say, and you instantly think "Right, the colours of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire". Great.

Now take a look at the Mega Evolution Act IV logo:
Ft8aTZO.png

"Red and green?!" That's right. And not just any red and green. Let me remind you that the 20th Anniversary is next year. Whether or not Gen 7 comes along, it should be safe to assume we're seeing Kanto in 2016.

2u2CU1W.jpg

Now tell me the colours of the 'III' part. "Red and blue!", you say, and you instantly think "Right, the colours of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire". Great.

Ft8aTZO.png

"Red and green?!" That's right. And not just any red and green. Let me remind you that the 20th Anniversary is next year. Whether or not Gen 7 comes along, it should be safe to assume we're seeing Kanto in 2016.

Cool and not cool... If that does imply Kanto remakes are next it might also imply it's Red and Green again, I was hoping for Yellow...

I'm glad they did. Made it much more memorable of an ending for me :D

Yeah, it also felt like the next step after Shauna's crush in XY. I wonder if the next game will have a little bit more in the way of romance too.

2u2CU1W.jpg

Ft8aTZO.png

Red and Green again, huh?

I wonder what they'll add. Or change.

Also totally bringing in Haxorus and Noivern to the party

JoeM86

2u2CU1W.jpg

Ft8aTZO.png

Could be reading a bit too much into it, though Mega Evolution II's was pure green (focus on Rayquaza so Emerald) and Mega Evolution I's was just silver.

But what do I know...

Could be reading a bit too much into it, though Mega Evolution II's was pure green (focus on Rayquaza so Emerald) and Mega Evolution I's was just silver.

But what do I know...

He's just going off of III, so those colors do make sense if Kanto is coming.
I wish the IV was Yellow... :(

ash_ag

Cool and not cool... If that does imply Kanto remakes are next it might also imply it's Red and Green again, I was hoping for Yellow...

Yeah, it also felt like the next step after Shauna's crush in XY. I wonder if the next game will have a little bit more in the way of romance too.

I kind of doubt we're getting a remake, but it does suggest there's going to be some celebration of Kanto and/or Gen I, and it's going to start by Autumn 2015. I personally consider a sequel much more likely.

I kind of doubt we're getting a remake, but it does suggest there's going to be some celebration of Kanto and/or Gen I, and it's going to start by Autumn 2015. I personally consider a sequel much more likely.

Well when I say remake I mean more of a complete re-imagining of the game/s. Man I was so hopeful for Yellow... Must not stop believing.

JoeM86

Do note, there's only two slots remaining for games this generation.

Do also note that Zygarde has a supsiciously low BST for a banned legend indicating likelihood of a Mega Evolution and has two moves coded into XYORAS that haven't been touched yet: Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves.

Whatever we're getting, it'll focus on, if not heavily feature, Zygarde.

We're also in need of a Floette...

Both of these things are very Kalos.

Do also note that Zygarde has a supsiciously low BST for a banned legend indicating likelihood of a Mega Evolution and has two moves coded into XYORAS that haven't been touched yet: Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves.

POKEMON X GREEN AND Y RED
Real talk, I wouldn't mind them putting Kalos and Kanto in the same game and mixing XY's third version with Kanto remakes. It'd be something new and unexpected, that's for sure... unless Kanto was just a barren post game area like Gen II.

But anyways, that's part of why I believe a Yellow re-imagining is possible, it would work with the two games left thing if after that was Z.

ash_ag

And there's also Volcanion which (or so we assume) has nothing to do with Kanto. Those are all problems that can't be ignored, but I simply find it difficult to believe that they would waste the opportunity of the 20th Anniversary on a game most don't particularly care about. (An XY third-version or a mild sequel)

But still, the remaining Kalosian lore is not hard to put into the equation. If we take a moment and remember how many Kanto elements XY have to begin with... Mega Kanto starters, Mega Mewtwo, the Legendary Birds. Associating "ZX/ZY" with Kanto wouldn't be hard to pull. And we do get a game with two regions every two Gens or so. :p

JoeM86

The 3DS games will be Kalos and the iOS games will be Kanto. Problem solved!

You're a bad person
And there's also Volcanion which (or so we assume) has nothing to do with Kanto. Those are all problems that can't be ignored, but I simply find it difficult to believe that they would waste the opportunity of the 20th Anniversary on a game most don't particularly care about. (An XY third-version or a mild sequel)

But still, the remaining Kalosian lore is not hard to put into the equation. If we take a moment and remember how many Kanto elements XY have to begin with... Mega Kanto starters, Mega Mewtwo, the Legendary Birds. Associating "ZX/ZY" with Kanto wouldn't be hard to pull. And we do get a game with two regions every two Gens or so. :p

Volcanion will be distributed with the movie next year, which will also, based on patterns, feature Zygarde, so that's not really a problem.

I've been pushing for a game that's a sequel to GRBYGSCFRLGHGSS in Kanto since 2011. It does need to happen in my view. We're getting kids now who have played for 5 years and haven't stepped foot in Kanto ever. This does need to be rectified.

Joe, I'm surprised you would think another Kanto game would necessary right now considering how other the franchise either visits the place or make heavy references to it. A five year break doesn't seem like something that would cause urgency at all.

JoeM86

Joe, I'm surprised you would think another Kanto game would necessary right now considering how other the franchise either visits the place or make heavy references to it. A five year break doesn't seem like something that would cause urgency at all.

We haven't had a totally new game in Kanto in 15 years. How about that? :p

ORAS is trade and battle compatible with XY.
They're never going to patch new Megas into old games, deal with it.
I thought that it was obvious that Game Freak planned ahead to encompass the new Megas and moves, and you were a cynic and a whinger if you thought otherwise?

The fact that you're still bending over backwards to justify Game Freak's shitty decisions months after the fact is remarkable.

I thought that it was obvious that Game Freak planned ahead to encompass the new Megas and moves, and you were a cynic and a whinger if you thought otherwise?

The fact that you're still bending over backwards to justify Game Freak's shitty decisions months after the fact is remarkable.

Because that's what it seemed like at the time based on alternate forms in previous games, but Megas are different and we got new moves and abilities so it didn't work out like that, I also never expected trading, just battling. It'd be nice if they added compatibility with battling for new Megas, but they absolutely don't owe it to anyone, the Megas are new to a new game, you aren't entitled to a new game's content because you bought an old one.

Is it just me or does the move name "Thousand Arrows" make me want to see the move doing exactly 1,000 damage by way of 1,000 separate hits? (Yeah, I know if we just did it the Pokémon way, there would be an eternity of battle messages and waits, but still...)

backlot

Is it just me or does the move name "Thousand Arrows" make me want to see the move doing exactly 1,000 damage by way of 1,000 separate hits? (Yeah, I know if we just did it the Pokémon way, there would be an eternity of battle messages and waits, but still...)

No Pokemon even has 1000 hit points.

Busaiku

I'll ask here too...
Anyone up for trade evolutions?
I've gotta do almost all of them...

Porygon2 (twice)
Porygon-Z
Machamp
Gourgeist
Alakazam
Gigalith
Rhyperior