• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah it's pretty pointless if you could only get certain mons as an event yet somehow you don't "own" them due to OT.

The implied scenario is that most Pokemon you get from an event is "given" by someone else, so in that scenario it would make sense if they already "belonged" to someone.

Whether to assign it to you, or give it like it was someone else's is a balance between in-game consistency and player convenience, I think. Though the offer to rename at least once should be allowed in some cases ~_~

Man God

Non-Canon Member
X/Y the series has been a revelation so far. It looks great, most episodes are generally entertaining, the main crew is just different enough to change things up, Team Rocket is back in form.

Adventures in Unova and Beyond was so awful I didn't think they'd recover.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the whole not being able to nickname Pokemon that don't belong to you is really lame and needs to be scrapped. Now that transferring between generations is a thing we've come to expect, not being able to re-name my own Pokemon from past versions is kind of annoying. And with international trading becoming more of a thing than ever with Wonder Trade, not being able to change the name of a fully evolved Pokemon to your language really sucks too.

lupinko

I'm tempted to buy a complete JP SS for ¥1550, what's holding me back is I already own a compete NA SS and JP HG.

Kinda overdoing it. :/

ash_ag

I kind of want a compromise. You can assign a new nickname, but as soon as you trade it away, the additional nickname is lost, so that the other party can nickname it again. The original nickname given by the OT always exists and one can set it to show either.

It would be kind of appropriate if the ability to nickname traded Pokémon unlocked by maxing out friendship. Extra motivation to utilise the in-game mechanics for raising friendship (hopefully renovated by Gen 7), plus making an oft-requested feature available.

Daemul

I'm replaying Black 2, and nearly 3 years on, the Black Tower still creeps the hell out of me. Just what in the fuck is going on in that building?

I first noticed the Investigator. At the beginning of some floors he talks to you and brings up information he found. If I remember correctly, he says it was built in just two years, funded by an unknown source, all battles are monitored and they are looking for someone even more powerful than the Champion. And then, he just disappears, and you never see him again.

Then you talk to the people in Black City, and they are almost all talking about greed. Then there are just strange quotes that make the entire city sound sinister.

"There's nothing wrong with making money! But there are wrong ways to do it... You have to make money the good way!"

"It's still not the item I want. If I don't get my hands on it soon, I'm going to be in a lot of trouble!"

"They say Area 6 is located so high that you cannot see it from the ground." Keep in mind this was built in two years.

"The higher the area, the odder the Trainers get."

What really strikes me odd is that areas 6 and beyond are 'Above their administration', and that they 'Don't actually know what kinds of trainers are in there.' Well, if they are keeping such a good look out on the trainers, why don't they know what kinds of trainers are up there, especially since one of them is Alder's grandson? It's very mysterious and confusing, and slightly frightening.

I read some theories about how one of the criminal gangs, probably Team Galactic, created it to try and recruit powerful trainers, and it's part of why Cynthia "vacations" in Unova, in a town close to Black City, in order to keep tabs on Team Galactic.

I don't know, it's all conjecture, but as the Champion, I made damn sure to conquer it so that whoever was behind Black Tower didn't find anyone stronger than me.

Refyref

5swAsYX.jpg

This is the best thing.

JoeM86

Starting to rethink my thoughts on this year and its lack of a game, or perhaps not.

Some evidence has come across my desk which has raised an eyebrow for me.

I still maintain my theory is sound, but this stuff has certainly raised an eyebrow.

lupinko

Starting to rethink my thoughts on this year and its lack of a game, or perhaps not.

I still maintain my theory is sound, but this stuff has certainly raised an eyebrow.

What if it's Pokemon XD remake for WiiU?

Cheebo

Banned

Recently in the past if I recall correctly you were theorizing the next game will be a Kanto title, be it a remake or sequel or what have you.

If you theory is sound...does this mean what you have heard lines up with this?

Nightbird

What evidence?

JoeM86

Recently in the past if I recall correctly you were theorizing the next game will be a Kanto title, be it a remake or sequel or what have you.

If you theory is sound...does this mean what you have heard lines up with this?

Na, my theory is still a game based on Zygarde, and I'm still thinking February 2016 release due to Hoopa Unbound being in ORAS and thus not being used to promote a game due out this Autumn as they have done in every year that has had a new game in since 2004.

It's just, with merchandise, they're hiding a lot more things than they should...a lot more than just Hoopa Unbound. Plus, Masuda and Morimoto did an interview or something for Famitsu this week.

It's probably nothing, though. It often happens, but it certainly raises an eyebrow. Especially as I saw a recent one (it has Hoopa on it), which has 5 hidden "characters" in the merchandise.

I stand by my theory, though. No new game this year. One revealed Septemberish for launch on 20th anniversary, and will be the last Gen VI game with Gen VII starting in 2017

I don't understand why they'd release a game in February 2016, and then just make it a Zygarde game.

If you're going for that date, you want a celebration, such as a Kanto remake. If the next game's just Z, I don't know why they wouldn't just release it in October/ November again.

JoeM86

I don't understand why they'd release a game in February 2016, and then just make it a Zygarde game.

If you're going for that date, you want a celebration, such as a Kanto remake. If the next game's just Z, I don't know why they wouldn't just release it in October/ November again.

Why can't it be both...

JoeM86

What evidence?

New merchandise things that are hiding for more characters/Pokémon than Hoopa Unbound.

As I said, probably nothing, but it raised an eyebrow.

Wait how could it be both Z and a Kanto game? I can't see them throwing Kanto in as a second quest. A Kanto remake on its own would sell tons.

Is it not better to celebrate the whole 20 years of Pokémon rather than just the first year?

JoeM86

What do you mean they're hiding more than Hoopa Unbound?

Also, I'm definitely subscribing to the idea of "Delta Z".

I mean that there are merchandise sellsheets and they always hide Pokémon forms/characters that haven't been revealed yet and/or they don't want to reveal yet.

The one I was shown this morning (I don't think I can post it for legal reasons) had 8 slots, one was Pikachu, one was Hoopa Confined and then there was
Character A
Character B
Character C
Character D
Character E
Character D
Two merchandise for Character D. Could just mean they're hiding various things for weird reasons, as it does happen, but it raised an eyebrow

Nightbird

I mean that there are merchandise sellsheets and they always hide Pokémon forms/characters that haven't been revealed yet and/or they don't want to reveal yet.

The one I was shown this morning (I don't think I can post it for legal reasons) had 8 slots, one was Pikachu, one was Hoopa Confined and then there was
Character A
Character B
Character C
Character D
Character E
Character D
Two merchandise for Character D. Could just mean they're hiding various things for weird reasons, as it does happen, but it raised an eyebrow

Not even on your Twitter? :/

(Don't want to bother you, i'm just really curious about everything Pokémon :p )

Boss Doggie

Ahh interesting. So mostly merch hints.

People right now are wondering if Goodra is leaving, but I told them that movie website profiles and Pikachu shorts mean nothing.

JoeM86

So are the expectations for more Megas or new Pokemon after Volcanion.

Here's my theory for the next two years:

No new game this year
-Hoopa Unbound being in ORAS (and accessed just by having Hoopa, not just extra code like Mega Lati@s were) removes all promotional possibilities for a new game this year as they would have done with every movie Pokémon in a year that has had a new game since Gen III. Hoopa Unbound being available to players who use Hoopa in ORAS just removes that capability, unless there's a third form or Hoopa unlocks something in the new game. It's possible, but I don't see it being likely

New game revealed later this year for Feb 2016 launch. Generation VI game, focused on Zygarde due to the moves Zygarde has in the coding of XYORAS

That game is likely to feature new Mega Evolutions.

In January/February 2016, Volcanion will receive its official reveal, tied into the movie for 2016 which undoubtedly features Zygarde.

Then, we'll have a large gap culminating in the announcement of Generation VII with new Pokémon at the start of 2017, releasing in the autumn of 2017.

Had people ask me if Arceus being in the movie and as the distribution has impacted my theory, but that means absolutely nothing other than the fact we now have Gen VI native Arceus and a shiny Arceus. They could use them to promote the new games if there are some, sure, but it's not likely.

Cheebo

Banned
Here's my theory for the next two years:

No new game this year
-Hoopa Unbound being in ORAS (and accessed just by having Hoopa, not just extra code like Mega Lati@s were) removes all promotional possibilities for a new game this year as they would have done with every movie Pokémon in a year that has had a new game since Gen III. Hoopa Unbound being available to players who use Hoopa in ORAS just removes that capability, unless there's a third form or Hoopa unlocks something in the new game. It's possible, but I don't see it being likely

New game revealed later this year for Feb 2016 launch. Generation VI game, focused on Zygarde due to the moves Zygarde has in the coding of XYORAS

That game is likely to feature new Mega Evolutions.

In January/February 2016, Volcanion will receive its official reveal, tied into the movie for 2016 which undoubtedly features Zygarde.

Then, we'll have a large gap culminating in the announcement of Generation VII with new Pokémon at the start of 2017, releasing in the autumn of 2017.

Had people ask me if Arceus being in the movie and as the distribution has impacted my theory, but that means absolutely nothing other than the fact we now have Gen VI native Arceus and a shiny Arceus. They could use them to promote the new games if there are some, sure, but it's not likely.

Gen VII would most likely be for the next handheld/"NX", yes? Outside of DS we only got one gen per hardware after all (Gen I on GB, Gen II on GBC, Gen III on GBA, Gen IV & V on DS, Gen VI on 3DS).

Since the next handheld/hybrid/"NX" is likely going to be coming sometime in (I suspect fall) 2016.

JoeM86

Gen VII would most likely be for the next handheld/"NX", yes? Outside of DS we only got one gen per hardware after all (Gen I on GB, Gen II on GBC, Gen III on GBA, Gen IV & V on DS, Gen VI on 3DS).

I'd say so, yeah

It'd also put Generation VI on a four year cycle, like the third and fourth gens.

Only thing I don't like about my theory is the ~20 month gap between the final Gen VI game and the start of Gen VII

ash_ag

Wait how could it be both Z and a Kanto game? I can't see them throwing Kanto in as a second quest. A Kanto remake on its own would sell tons.

Gen 6 has a lot of Kanto references.
  • Origins promoting XY,
  • Kanto starters in Kalos,
  • their Mega Evolutions,
  • Legendary Birds,
  • Mega Mewtwo.

And it's not like the ORAS's generic (though mechanically intuitive) availability events. There's at least some lore involved, like Sea Spirit's Den (Lugia), something still unresolved. A lot of people speculated that Kanto could have been in XY, and it's not a stretch to say it could be in "Z". Gen 2, 3 and 4 had a game with two regions, so, it wouldn't be a first.

From a business standpoint, I think it would make more sense to introduce Gen 7 in 2016, along with the 20th Anniversary and the real Pokémon amiibo line. That would take advantage of n3DS extending 3DS's lifespan, and it would be an opportunity to introduce new players (especially kids) to the series, which is both desperately needed and easy because of trends like Yo-Kai Watch.

However, I can't say that a game combining the latest developments with the first years would be such bad an idea. XY don't have much of a story, and thus a "Z" it wouldn't have to be as direct a sequel as B2W2. It could be a good series-introduction game even if it doesn't introduce new Pokémon.

But it would still have to move the cheese on certain mechanics-related topics and the engine (as well as introduce amiibo), which is why I'm a bit skeptical on whether they could really presume upon the 20th Anniversary without really introducing a new "generation", in a manner of speech.

Cheebo

Banned
I see them holding off on amiibo for mainline games till the next hardware + Gen VII on it where NFC support will be on all hardware, rather than just the more niche N3DS/N3DSXL.

ash_ag

I see them holding off on amiibo for mainline games till the next hardware + Gen VII on it where NFC support will be on all hardware, rather than just the more niche N3DS/N3DSXL.

Do note that it wouldn't be a first for Pokémon games to be bundled with extra hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if there were two SKUs -- one with the NFC base and one without it. It's still a very valid point though. They need to be careful not to rush the introduction without a good plan.

JoeM86

Gen 6 has a lot of Kanto references.
  • Origins promoting XY,
  • Kanto starters in Kalos,
  • their Mega Evolutions,
  • Legendary Birds,
  • Mega Mewtwo.

And it's not like the ORAS's generic (though mechanically intuitive) availability events. There's at least some lore involved, like Sea Spirit's Den (Lugia), something still unresolved. A lot of people speculated that Kanto could have been in XY, and it's not a stretch to say it could be in "Z". Gen 2, 3 and 4 had a game with two regions, so, it wouldn't be a first.

From a business standpoint, I think it would make more sense to introduce Gen 7 in 2016, along with the 20th Anniversary and the real Pokémon amiibo line. That would take advantage of n3DS extending 3DS's lifespan, and it would be an opportunity to introduce new players (especially kids) to the series, which is both desperately needed and easy because of trends like Yo-Kai Watch.

However, I can't say that a game combining the latest developments with the first years would be such bad an idea. XY don't have much of a story, and thus a "Z" it wouldn't have to be as direct a sequel as B2W2. It could be a good series-introduction game even if it doesn't introduce new Pokémon.

But it would still have to move the cheese on certain mechanics-related topics and the engine (as well as introduce amiibo), which is why I'm a bit skeptical on whether they could really presume upon the 20th Anniversary without really introducing a new "generation", in a manner of speech.

Unless Volcanion is released stealthily this year like Genesect was in 2012, I don't see Gen VII being next year. They wouldn't be promoting it with lots of other new Pokémon being revealed at the same time.

Plus there's a lot unresolved/released in Gen VI such as the two Zygarde moves, Eternal Flower Floette, Zygarde's suspiciously low BST etc.

Regiruler

I'd be fine with a delay if it meant they get to put in some more time into refining the engine.
If they are hiding a secret Forme or two for the Hoopa movie, I'd take a guess at it being Mega Arceus.

New ability: armageddon

The moment it mega evolves, the opposing pokemon faints and all further switch ins your opponent does have their HP halved.

I'd say so, yeah

It'd also put Generation VI on a four year cycle, like the third and fourth gens.

Only thing I don't like about my theory is the ~20 month gap between the final Gen VI game and the start of Gen VII

Gen VII being a launch title or launch year title for the next handheld would be amazing, it would also be a great way to push hardware sales early on in the system's life.

I thought they didn't want to do "Z" because it was predictable? Or was that not doing Z directly after XY? The latter doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they've only released a third version straight after the initial two in Gen IV.

I'd obviously prefer sequels to Z really. Since you can catch all non-mythicals between XY and ORAS, they really need something for the next game to stand out. Just adding a bunch of new megas isn't really enough at this point. Speaking of megas, I would guess that they would focus on same more Kanto as well as some Kalos Pokemon like the starters

JoeM86

I thought they didn't want to do "Z" because it was predictable? Or was that not doing Z directly after XY? The latter doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they've only released a third version straight after the initial two in Gen IV.

I'd obviously prefer sequels to Z really. Since you can catch all non-mythicals between XY and ORAS, they really need something for the next game to stand out. Just adding a bunch of new megas isn't really enough at this point. Speaking of megas, I would guess that they would focus on same more Kanto as well as some Kalos Pokemon like the starters

They always prefer to surprise with the games they provide.

Who knows what's coming up?

Cheebo

Banned
They always prefer to surprise with the games they provide.

Who knows what's coming up?

Which is why my gut feeling is Kanto. Not necessary another remake, but something Kanto based, a brand new game set in that region potentially. It'd be the unexpected move, and fit in with the anniversary for 2016.

JoeM86

Joe you can get Shiny Arceus with the preorder? I haven't gotten my movie prebookings yet, I'll do that soon.

Yep. 1 in 19 chance. You either get a normal one with the Silk Scarf, one with any of the type plates, or a shiny with the Silk Scarf.

You can redeem as many codes as you want, and you can get doubles of the same one

lupinko

Yep. 1 in 19 chance. You either get a normal one with the Silk Scarf, one with any of the type plates, or a shiny with the Silk Scarf.

You can redeem as many codes as you want, and you can get doubles of the same one

Okay, time to get many prebookings, or at least two or three. haha

So Arceus acts like Darkrai did last year.

ash_ag

Sugimori posted this flyer from the first Pokémon Center on Twitter:
6JG5vsA.jpg

The screenshot on top looks like RGBY Cerulean with the GSC colour palette, except not quite. I suppose Game Freak could have made this by hand for the flyer, but it makes you wonder if there ever was a DX version of the first games. :p

Boss Doggie

Man, Ash's Goodra just tossed around Tierno's Pokemon like they were nothing! I also find it hilarious that Mega Volt played rather than Volt when he evolved, a music normally reserved for mega evolving.

Also seeing Raichu and Dedenne together really makes you think Raichu is Dedenne's evolution than Pikachu's, lol

Top Bottom