• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

JoeM86

I forgot Super Mystery Dungeon comes out in a few days in Japan...actually really looking forward to seeing how content-packed that game will or won't turn out to be. Also tempted to check up on spoilers to see if it's got a good plot like Explorers did.

It does look packed.

Shame it's a Dungeon game, though.

If its going to be my maincart I just choose male and my name otherwise I choose female and use whatever girly name I happen to like at the time, Shiki, Asuka, Alice, etc.
I ended up just going with イルカ. (Iruka, means "dolphin"). Not a completely horrible name.

injurai

Banned
When do we think a new game would be announced? This February?

edit: omg this thread is about to end. Man I barely participated this year.

When do we think a new game would be announced? This February?

edit: omg this thread is about to end. Man I barely participated this year.
If it isn't revealed this month, then yeah. Coro Coro's showing off Mega Zygarde and Blobby this month, and it's not impossible that they're going to reveal the game in which they feature. It's unlikely, though, and I'd say that's probably our last chance this year.

*Resumes splashing in water*

qJ22m.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, XY has the Japanese language option---I assume it's like Black and White where you could switch between no Kanji, and Kanji, right? Since XY has a better resolution, does it include furigana as well? Is there any reason they disable the ability to change languages after starting a game, or is that just Gamefreak being Gamefreak?

I'm thinking about testing my Japanese I've been studying with a Pokemon game...I HAD Japanese Black, but thanks to the stupid DSi shit I can't play it on any system I own now since it's region-locked on the DSi and 3DS. And I have Pearl, but I want something more modern that I hadn't played as much as I did Gen IV. So I think I might pick up Y because I've been wanting to do another play-through of Kalos, and I don't wanna erase my X-version even though I could bank all the Pokemon. I can't bring myself to do that.

So, XY has the Japanese language option---I assume it's like Black and White where you could switch between no Kanji, and Kanji, right? Since XY has a better resolution, does it include furigana as well? Is there any reason they disable the ability to change languages after starting a game, or is that just Gamefreak being Gamefreak?
You can switch between kana and kanji. There's no furigana because the kanji mode is designed for older players who can read kanji very well so having furigana is not needed and just adds clutter. If you could change languages after starting a game you could complete the language dexes much, much easier.

Watch Da Birdie

You can switch between kana and kanji. There's no furigana because the kanji mode is designed for older players who can read kanji very well so having furigana is not needed and just adds clutter. If you could change languages after starting a game you could complete the language dexes much, much easier.

Oh, that makes sense.

Sucks there's no furigana...I really wanna play a game with that option, but I don't know many that have that option that aren't the Japanese version.

Can you switch between Kana and Kanji during the game though in XY through the Options like I believe it let you do in BW?

Cindro

Why is it so damn hard to find a Meowth or Persian in Gen VI

My Living Dex project has come to a screeching halt because of it

Watch Da Birdie

yessssss original series gluttonychu is getting a plush for the twentieth anniversary

ditch scrawny muppetchu for good please

I'm really wondering if they might spin-off OG Pikachu as some unique Pikachu variant that'll appear in the possible 20th Kanto games...

Watch Da Birdie

Why would they and who says the games are to be in Kanto?

I mean...these are the dudes who literally made a game-exclusive variant of Pichu that just had a slightly different tail.

I'm just saying I could see them doing that...even if it isn't set in Kanto. Why are you so adamant against that anyway? Look, I don't really want a RG remake either myself---I don't really care much for relying too much on the past, but I don't get the weird jumping on the possibility of it.

JoeM86

I mean...these are the dudes who literally made a game-exclusive variant of Pichu that just had a slightly different tail.

I'm just saying I could see them doing that...even if it isn't set in Kanto. Why are you so adamant against that anyway? Look, I don't really want a RG remake either myself---I don't really care much for relying too much on the past, but I don't get the weird jumping on the possibility of it.

Just saying all evidence is pointing away from that, not towards it.

Cindro

I can get you one if you still need it.
I might take you up on that sometime soon man! My work schedule is crazy and hectic at the moment, to the point where even I don't know in advance when I'll have free time to play my games, but that should be settling down soon.

Have I mentioned how much I love PokéGAF lately? Such a great and helpful community.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why is it so damn hard to find a Meowth or Persian in Gen VI

My Living Dex project has come to a screeching halt because of it

This was me, years ago, with Slowpoke in Gen 3. It's only in Leaf Green. I own literally every other game in the generation.

harmonize

After the trailer's complete lack of any Pokemon not from the first generation and the mention that it will connect to future games, I'd be willing to avatar bet at this point that we're getting Red/Green remakes, released near or one the same day as this.

... Okay maybe not confident enough to avatar bet, but if I'm wrong ya'll can strap me into a medieval stock in the middle of town and throw virtual Pokeballs at me from your smartphones.

Firestorm

After the trailer's complete lack of any Pokemon not from the first generation and the mention that it will connect to future games, I'd be willing to avatar bet at this point that we're getting Red/Green remakes, released near or one the same day as this.

... Okay maybe not confident enough to avatar bet, but if I'm wrong ya'll can strap me into a medieval stock in the middle of town and throw virtual Pokeballs at me from your smartphones.
I think the game is aimed at people in their mid-20s based on the type of audience I think Ingress goes for. Original 151 is the best way of reaching them. It's Ingress but hits the nostalgia bits!

Ingress doesn't seem like a good fit for kids so it wouldn't make as much sense to include a bunch of Gen 5 / 6 stuff.

harmonize

If this does include only the 151 from the start, I think that along with a couple of other factors would explain it:

- As you said, this is clearly targeting older fans. There's one younger person in the video, and he's with his parents; everybody else ranges from late teens to like early thirties.

- Many of these might be lapsed fans. Throwing ~600 new Pokemon at them at the same time would be incredibly overwhelming, and would make fan favorites (most of which hailing from the first generation) much harder to find because unlike the games, their favorites might not be just a patch of grass away.

- This game will be much, much slower to "progress" through than the mainline games are. In the games, towns are several houses and a gym, while routes are essentially small strips of land and grass with trainers on them filled with a variety of Pokemon. With filling the Pokedex, what might have taken you a few weeks would take much longer to do in Go due to the spacious of the real world (and with that, Pokemon placement) and time constraints that would keep you from exploring outside at all hours of the day. With that, collecting the Gen 1 'mons will probably be enough for the first several months in a way that it wouldn't be in a regular game.

- There isn't going to be a "Pokemon Go: Gold and Silver" or "Pokemon Go 2" because there's hardly any graphics to update nor new regions to explore. This game's updates will rely solely on additions to the roster, which come from one, mega evolutions that you can't find in the wild and two, new generations which come once every three to four years. This game can't see big updates only once every generation; it needs a continuous stream of updates to keep interest up, and if the updates are mostly roster-related, you don't play your entire hand at the very beginning.

So yeah, I think this could be the originals at the start plus maybe Lucario and Zygarde for popularity and promotional reasons. After some months, they could hit us with an update adding another gen and more potential event Pokemon.

ramparter

Banned
- There isn't going to be a "Pokemon Go: Gold and Silver" or "Pokemon Go 2" because there's hardly any graphics to update nor new regions to explore. This game's updates will rely solely on additions to the roster, which come from one, mega evolutions that you can't find in the wild and two, new generations which come once every three to four years. This game can't see big updates only once every generation; it needs a continuous stream of updates to keep interest up, and if the updates are mostly roster-related, you don't play your entire hand at the very beginning.
Obviously. Would make no sense to have most of them day one. Actually I can even see them starting with less than the original 151 Pokemon. Also I would expect some very popular to be kept for later releases to bump the interest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Episode finished.

It starts with Team Rocket breaking in Pokemon InGen. Seriously, later on it's full of fossil Pokemon lol

But fucking shit my heart and feels ;_;

She was ready to keep him. He became an amazing Tyrantrum. Clemont throws a Pokeball and it didn't work. And soon the feels train came in. Aww fuck ;_;

dFJDvLN.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
also Tyrantrum, not Tyrunt, rolling on the ground like some dog is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen

Mr-Joker

Banned
Welp Pokémon Go was the most disappointing piece of gen 1 pandering shit that I have ever seen.

Gen 6 continues to disappoint me.

On the bright side the Pokémon Go device looks cool and I might get one.

Heartgold' level curve is so terrible. I'm fighting trainers with level 11 Pokemon in Goldenrod.

Yeah that was the one thing that I hoped that they would fix in the remake but alas they didn't.

The other was fixing Jotho map design, the routes are compressed and small

Didn't Ash catch his Charmander even though it was owned by another trainer?

The Charmander was released hence why Ash was able to catch it, even though he did jack squat to help Charmander.

It was Brock who went out to save him.

Top Bottom