• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

JoeM86

Sounds like a glitch. One of the objectives is to not let Goldeen and pals defeat Basculin so the game probably thought that happened somehow.

What a git :(

Any idea what to do here? THe hearts are throwing me and it's not in the task list.

615c8pO.png

What a git :(

Any idea what to do here? THe hearts are throwing me and it's not in the task list.

615c8pO.png
You just go to Capin Town and talk to Banette to deliver the secret letter. For Sandshrew's letter you talk to Sandslash in the cloud town. And so on.

There's a variant where you have to find a wandering mon in a dungeon and those can go to hell.

EDIT: The quest type is called "secret work" BTW.

JoeM86

You just go to Capin Town and talk to Banette to deliver the secret letter. For Sandshrew's letter you talk to Sandslash in the cloud town. And so on.

There's a variant where you have to find a wandering mon in a dungeon and those can go to hell.

EDIT: The quest type is called "secret work" BTW.

Son of a ;;

That's the third time the language barrier has screwed me :p Thanks! My translators haven't been on the past few days, annoyingly.

Seems I had a few of these haha

Edit: How odd

TUIoeHm.png

Maybe I haven't seen all areas yet.

Yeeeeeah, you're missing quite a few mons if you haven't done any letters. At least you should be able to fill in a good chunk of the Pokemon list relatively quickly. lol

EDIT: That's one of the wandering ones I was talking about. "Location: In the middle of a trip. Where in the world are they?" But they could be not in a dungeon of course, I haven't actually found her yet.

Chase17

I've been working my way through the original series anime on Netflix (ash just got the rainbow badge for running into a burning building). I'm not sure if it's nostalgia but I'm enjoying it a good bit. I've only ever watched the original series but I'm curious about some of the other series. I like that it gives some characters/Pokémon added personality that isn't present in the games. I do wish team rocket didn't show up in every single episode though.

Are there clear points in the series where I should watch the movies?

Mr-Joker

Banned
too cutebait for me, it doesn't come off as natural cute unlike Joltik :3

Also Serena's Eevee is "fond" of Ash's Pikachu.

Joltik is cute, I had one in my White team he was awesome.

Anyway I get the feeling that Serena's Eevee is going to evolve into a Sylveon.

I only bought my tickets today, there might still be some available if you're looking to go. I definitely wouldn't sit around, it won't take long before they're sold out.

Yeah, I will see if there are any available.

I've been working my way through the original series anime on Netflix (ash just got the rainbow badge for running into a burning building). I'm not sure if it's nostalgia but I'm enjoying it a good bit. I've only ever watched the original series but I'm curious about some of the other series. I like that it gives some characters/Pokémon added personality that isn't present in the games. I do wish team rocket didn't show up in every single episode though.

Are there clear points in the series where I should watch the movies?

Oh man you're going to be in for a rough ride when you hit Jotho.

As for the movies, there are clear points but I can't remember when they tie in with the Animé other than the first movie which is before the Kanto league.

Chase17

Oh man you're going to be in for a rough ride when you hit Jotho.

As for the movies, there are clear points but I can't remember when they tie in with the Animé other than the first movie which is before the Kanto league.
Maybe I'll try and line up the air dates to figure out when they fit in. Is Johto all around bad or is it just team rocket overkill? (Maybe I'll jump over it if it's notoriously bad or something).

Anyway I get the feeling that Serena's Eevee is going to evolve into a Sylveon.
I'm pretty sure that's the obvious result.

Maybe I'll try and line up the air dates to figure out when they fit in. Is Johto all around bad or is it just team rocket overkill? (Maybe I'll jump over it if it's notoriously bad or something).

yeah, lining up for the air dates usually work (expect when stuff gets delayed like the first movie lol)

Johto is just a lot of filler lol

Chase17

yeah, lining up for the air dates usually work (expect when stuff gets delayed like the first movie lol)

Johto is just a lot of filler lol

I've been surprised by the lack of filler so far (maybe it will come later). There was only one episode between Sabrina and Erica. And in that one episode he caught Primape.

I've been surprised by the lack of filler so far (maybe it will come later). There was only one episode between Sabrina and Erica. And in that one episode he caught Primape.

oh you're still early

look forward to the incredibly long journey to cinnabar island

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
So I just got Pokemon Omega Ruby for my birthday.

Can anyone tell me of any important things I've missed? I'm not worried about shiny pokemon giveaways - it's things like one-time-only mega stones that I might not be able to get now, that I'm more concerned with.

Chase17

So I just got Pokemon Omega Ruby for my birthday.

Can anyone tell me of any important things I've missed? I'm not worried about shiny pokemon giveaways - it's things like one-time-only mega stones that I might not be able to get now, that I'm more concerned with.

I'm almost certain that there is no one time mega stones. The only thing you may have missed is some event pokemon like shiny Beldum/Rayquaza which isn't a huge deal. You may have missed your only chance on diancie though, IIRC the only way to get it was the event.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Johto is the time when the Writer got stuck in a rut with the show and had the entire season be 90% filler.

They eventually got out of it towards the end but the damage had been done.

My suggestion if you want to watch Jotho is watch the important episodes like the Pokémon capture, evolving and leaving as well as the gym and league battle.

I'm pretty sure that's the obvious result.

I was hoping that it would be a new evolution before remembering that Sylveon existed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Biggest issue with Johto is the cast is very watered down by now (Ash isn't the lovable idiot, but he's not anymore competent really either, Misty is all about Togepi more or less now, and Brock pretty much becomes comic relief), with Team Rocket arguably being the best part of many episodes. In addition, there's really no good reoccurring rivals or characters either. There's Casey...and that's that.

Also Ash's Pokemon sort of take a backseat to the Kanto Starters, and never really do much.

Overall, no one really grows in Johto whatsoever. And the fillers...I swear, every episode it seems the gang enters a town with a random Festival happening that day. But it's not all bad---there's some fun fillers here and there, and some cool arcs later on like the one with Lugia and Red Gyrados, and the Johto League is strong, but much of the good stuff I recall comes during the "Master Quest" series. Much of the middle is a complete slog with nothing going on.

As for the films, they might spoil captures, but overall they're not really set in any continuity---especially the Johto ones. I'd watch them around the middle of each season (Entei during Johto, Celebi during Johto Journies, Latios and Latias during Master Quest). They're actually pretty neat movies---Entei is pretty trippy, Celebi is a bit dull but has a cool connection to the overall story of the show, and Latios and Latias has an amazing design thanks to the Venice-influence.

Hoenn is a step-up from Johto, but it's pretty long, and while the new characters feel fresh and Ash starts to grow a bit, it suffers from quite a bit of filler as well and not a lot of reoccurring characters and some rather disappointing arcs. The Hoenn League, though, is really good...there's one battle that's perhaps one of the more authentic battles to the games in the series, while also doing its own thing. Battle Frontier, which is like the Orange Islands for Hoenn, is mixed---despite taking place in Kanto, it literally like ignores everything in Kanto and not a single old character appears really and none of the locations are represented like at all. The first few episodes are very filler, focusing on Kanto Pokemon mainly, but then during the halfway, they kick into gear, and like every episode is a Frontier Battle (basically Gym Battles), or an evolution and capture, and it's a pretty great season the rest of the way through.

Diamond and Pearl is the best season alongside Kanto, but for different reasons...it's really long, and there are of course fillers (around the time of HGSS, there's a solid block of episodes that are basically just filler for Johto Pokemon), but there is perhaps the biggest plot movement of all the series throughout the whole season. There's a multitude of reoccurring characters that are fairly developed and entertaining, the battles are top-notch as Ash is the most competent he's ever been and his Pokemon are strong, and there's multiple story elements that are built up through the series and mostly successfully carried out to completion. Team Rocket is also, imo, quite good here because they still serve as every-episode antagonists, there are numerous episodes where they're successful because Jessie takes part in Pokemon Contests (the second "Gym Battle" plot that was introduced in Hoenn), and I found they're really funny too. The weakest link of Diamond and Pearl is arguably the main group---Ash is cool on his own, but Dawn doesn't differ enough from May from Hoenn in my opinion, and Brock literally has no point of existing here. But there's enough interaction with other characters to forget about that.

AVOID UNOVA! It's actually pretty short, but there's nothing good about it. Ash lacks the charisma of Kanto Ash, but is back to being a complete idiot. The Pokemon are barely developed, even though there's actually a bunch of them. The fillers, and the plot-based episodes really, are dull. Team Rocket are "serious" for the first batch of episodes, but I find them to be very boring despite this, and then they switch back to their normal selves, except they're really boring---on the other hand, they wisely begin to drop them from episodes where they're not needed like Gym Battles which is a positive change. And the Unova League---just don't. Only positive is for the first time Ash's companions are both new characters (no Brock), and while they're sort of set-up as being like Misty and Brock, both of them I think are quite unique and entertaining in their own right that it's a shame they weren't in a better season. Oh, and there's a decent amount of reoccurring characters---except Ash's "major" rival, Trip. He's a horrible character who legitimately has no point and the writers seemingly realized this halfway through the show.

XY is still going, so the verdict's still out---right now, I'd say it's better than Johto, on-part with Hoenn, but not as good as Diamond and Pearl. Once more Ash has a new set of friends, and they're pretty cool---well, some don't like Serena (Misty fans!)---but Clemont and Bonnie are great characters. Team Rocket are slightly better than in Unova, but I still think they've never really got back their charm since Unova---they're not in every episode (but still in most fillers), but when they do appear the writers seem to make them stale as they always do the same scheme now, rarely use the crazy robots they did back in the day, and their Pokemon, despite being nothing stand-out, somehow seem to randomly hold their own. Also, they always do the same motto now which bugs me since they used to mix it up all the time, and I liked that! The fillers are pretty weak, though, but there's a decent amount of plot episodes to counter and the fillers are broken up better. There's a bit of a lack of reoccurring characters early on, but they've begun to fix that with the XY Friends and some new rival to Ash, and next season is bringing in the bad guys from XY finally. Ash's Pokemon, though, are sort of treated so-so here...they get decent development, but he seems to use Pikachu way too much from what I've seen. The best part about XY is that the show arguably looks the best it's ever been, the backgrounds are really well-designed and detailed compared to how the show used to look with basically the same boring backdrop most every episodes, and they've stopped doing the cheap trick where during battles, the background would change to random colored lines---now the battles are more or less shown to take place in the area they're fighting.

Your best bet is really to just look up which episodes are important, although it can get tricky---like Diamond and Pearl has a lot of otherwise filler episodes which through in a plot development at the end. And some of the fillers, imo, are better than plot-based episodes---like in Hoenn there's an amazing episode about a Giant Claydol that is completely pointless, but probably one of my favorite episodes. Ever.

My problem with the Pokemon movies is that they're all seemed to be based on legendary Pokémon. Why can't there be a Pokémon movie that's has Ash in it but it's about a Pokemon tournament? Ashes team isn't game cannon and he catches whatever pokemon the writers want him to have, so why can't he catch and train it for that same Pokémon tournament?

The movies just seems focused on building and expanding the lore and history and there's nothing wrong with that.

I just wouldn't mind a movie based on a tournament with fleshed out Pokémon battle after battle without the Fate of the world in the balance.

Chase17

Thanks for the write-up Birdie! This gives me a pretty good idea of what I will have to work with. It's nice to hear that D/P is one of the best since I think the entirety of it is on Hulu. I do like team rocket when they are being goofy/incentive with their schemes but I hate how they have to show up to interrupt gym battles and the like (as you pointed out), so I'm glad that it's fixed in later series.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh, be warned, starting near the end of Hoenn is the voice-change...everyone gets new voices.

And some will say the writing is a step-down in the dub even though the Diamond and Pearl series has a betetr plot. I really don't care about the dub after mid-Hoenn so I can't tell you what to think.

I went through DP quickly, and from what I remember, these are what I'd watch...

Episodes 1-20 are pretty much all straight plot more or less, a lot happens here and things are set-up.

22 isn't too great of an episode, but it foreshadows an important plot development later on (if you skip Hoenn to Diamond and Pearl, you've missed the general set-up of this plot though)

30-32 is a mini-arc---it's a filler mini-arc, but if you care it stars a game character if you want to watch the stuff authentic to the games.

34-41 are all important---actually 40 is a filler, but it's a really cute one that's like a Pikachu Short basically.

45 and 47 are filler-y, but 45 has two reoccurring characters in it (one a classic character, the other a major antagonist of the season), and 47 features a game character.

49-55 are another set of important episodes. There's a Tournament Arc here that, imo, is one of the best in the whole show.

60-61...62 maybe since a lot of people like it...for, uh, reasons...and 63 is dull, but has a reoccurring character introduced who's slightly important, but nothing major.

64 is important, but 65 right after I remember being one of the dullest episodes all series. But then 66-69 are really important, setting up the villain team arc.

71-72 are tie-ins for the Ranger games, but they're a great set of episodes with cool animation and a threatening villain. I wouldn't pass them up.

73-85 are another batch of important episodes, featuring the return of a previous major character from Hoenn.

88-91 is a cute mini-arc that later becomes important due to a character becoming a reoccurring one.

92 and 93, 92 being an awesome Team Rocket episode that's hilarious.

95-97, the later two being a villain arc.

99-104, with the introduction of a major rival.

106-108 is a Gym Battle.

110-111 features a game character, and ties into the villain arc.

114 is a Pokemon Contest with a reoccurring character introduced.

118-119 have an evolution and an important development.

123-124 have a major release + Contest.

126-133 are important---a Gym Battle, a character from Hoenn returning, a big battle between Ash and his rival, and villain team stuff.

136 is a villain team episodes.

138-141 is a mini-arc that's not too plot intensive, but features nice character interaction. Oh, and 142 is another hilarious filler due to using a classic OG Pokemon in a way you wouldn't expect.

143-147 begins the Heart Gold and Soul Silver promotion. It goes on for awhile with Johto fillers, but these are the most important episodes of it with a capture and temporary friends joining with Ash and co.

150-152 is the culmination of the villain arc.

153 is a cute nostalgic episode to a memorable Kanto episode.

154-157 are a capture.

161-166 feature a Contest and Gym Battle.

168-172 features game characters, a tie-in to Ranger, and a capture.

174-177 is the climax of the Contest Arc.

179-191 includes the final badge, the Sinnoh League, and wraps everything up.

These are using the Japanese numberings...Japanese episode 48 is an unaired clip-show, from 49 onwards, subtract 1 number from the episode. And then Japanese 120 is another clip-show, so from 121 onwards subtract 2 numbers from the episodes.

This is from memory---a few of the filler episodes I left out I recall being fun so, yeah, watch what interests you. Even with this list, like I said, a lot of Sinnoh episodes have small elements even in fillers that build up (there's quite a few episodes featuring Ash actually training his Pokemon which usually has a pay-off), but you shouldn't find yourself lost since the plot is still rather simple.

There's a Marowak whose dojo collapsed, poor guy:

ガラガラ:
道場は つぶれただよ。ガラガラと。
音を たてて……。
Rough translation:

Marowak: The dojo collapsed. With a *CRASH*. It was making noise, and then...

Now whether or not this is the same Marowak from rescue team is up for debate (Also, this is partly a pun but the humor's lost in English). And it's also technically only implied that it's this Marowak's dojo, it's not outright stated. Still a nice reference. There are also references to other things like Persian Bank, old teams, etc. It's really nice.

EDIT: Fixed the translation 'cuz I forgot how Japanese worked. Or whatever.

Chase17

Oh, be warned, starting near the end of Hoenn is the voice-change...everyone gets new voices.

And some will say the writing is a step-down. I really don't care about the dub after mid-Hoenn so I can't tell you what to think.
It'll be a while until I get there but I'm already concerned about a voice change. I get so used to things it's a bit jarring when they change. In tv show where an actor/voice actor changes it always stands out to me for a while. However with a show that runs this long it's inevitable.

Speaking of voice acting, Charmander's voice is legendary.

Wasn't the voice change because TPCi, known at the time as Pokemon USA, took over the dub from 4Kids and shit happened so they got new voice actors?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
New voice actors being rough aside I'd say Battle Frontier was the best season the show ever had...until this past season of X/Y came along.

Wasn't the voice change because TPCi, known at the time as Pokemon USA, took over the dub from 4Kids and shit happened so they got new voice actors?

well mostly cause they were going to record in a different location than where 4Kids was doing it so nothing you could really do about it

the new dub was shaky at the start (they had to redub the first thing they showed lol) but it's pretty decent last I watched the dub

IIRC, they started out the new cast with The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. Even today though... the voices just aren't the same to me lol. Too used to Veronica Taylor x Rachael Lillis :)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hiw extensive is the post game in Super MD? Some huge dungeons or just catching 'em all?

JoeM86

My problem with the Pokemon movies is that they're all seemed to be based on legendary Pokémon. Why can't there be a Pokémon movie that's has Ash in it but it's about a Pokemon tournament? Ashes team isn't game cannon and he catches whatever pokemon the writers want him to have, so why can't he catch and train it for that same Pokémon tournament?

The movies just seems focused on building and expanding the lore and history and there's nothing wrong with that.

I just wouldn't mind a movie based on a tournament with fleshed out Pokémon battle after battle without the Fate of the world in the balance.

Because a movie just focused on a tournament wouldn't do well, whereas Legendary and Mythical Pokémon are exciting.

IIRC, they started out the new cast with The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon. Even today though... the voices just aren't the same to me lol. Too used to Veronica Taylor x Rachael Lillis :)

"Fun" fact. The new voice actors have now been doing it longer than the 4kids ones.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't recall anything in AG lining up with the show, though.

Would you consider Lucario movie AG?

Lucario movie is that. Sorta.

There's a Marowak whose dojo collapsed, poor guy:

Rough translation:

Marowak: The dojo collapsed. With a *CRASH*. It was making noise, and then...

Now whether or not this is the same Marowak from rescue team is up for debate (Also, this is partly a pun but the humor's lost in English). And it's also technically only implied that it's this Marowak's dojo, it's not outright stated. Still a nice reference. There are also references to other things like Persian Bank, old teams, etc. It's really nice.

EDIT: Fixed the translation 'cuz I forgot how Japanese worked. Or whatever.

I thought that was Explorers.

Busaiku

Pikachu way too much from what I've seen
What.
Pikachu's always raring to go, but Ash almost always benches him.
The last time he did anything was like Korrina.
He uses Froakie/Froagadier way too much, then Hawlucha.

Because a movie just focused on a tournament wouldn't do well, whereas Legendary and Mythical Pokémon are exciting.

Hhmm? Before I reply I need to admit that I stop watching the Pokémon movies after.. I honestly forget because they all felt the same with Ash saving the world or the day. That's why I put correct me if I'm wrong in my previous title.

Ok.. You said it wouldn't be exciting but I disagree. Yes the movie setting would be the tournament but the story could be centered on Ash and his character development or the development of other characters with back stories and the reason why they're Pokémon trainers. It could bring back a bunch of old rivals and faces and show how they have developed. I find that to be exciting. Fleshed out Pokémon battles in a Pokémon tournament focused on various character development.

This isn't the first time we disagreed which is cool. Pokémon game, anime, and movies means different things to each person playing and watching.

@Boss Doggie, I'll check out the Lucario movie at some point.

JoeM86

Hhmm? Before I reply I need to admit that I stop watching the Pokémon movies after.. I honestly forget because they all felt the same with Ash saving the world or the day. That's why I put correct me if I'm wrong in my previous title.

Ok.. You said it wouldn't be exciting but I disagree. Yes the movie setting would be the tournament but the story could be centered on Ash and his character development or the development of other characters with back stories and the reason why they're Pokémon trainers. It could bring back a bunch of old rivals and faces and show how they have developed. I find that to be exciting. Fleshed out Pokémon battles in a Pokémon tournament focused on various character development.

This isn't the first time we disagreed which is cool. Pokémon game, anime, and movies means different things to each person playing and watching.

@Boss Doggie, I'll check out the Lucario movie at some point.

But that's because you're a big fan. They try to reach the wider audience.

At this point they definitely need to do something new with movies.
The rate of decline is really bad.

Still among the highest grossing anime movies of all time in Japan.

Granted, Hoopa has done the worst since the fifth movie, but let's not go crazy. It hasn't done bad.

They did start to change things up with the latest, with a new writer and new staff. I guess it didn't work.

Starting a generation with the Diancie movie was a bad idea.

But that's because you're a big fan. They try to reach the wider audience.

You are 100% correct. But let me say this.

I saw a post in this thread that the Pokémon movies aren't doing as hot as they use too.
If that's true (again I wouldn't know and would like your input) wouldn't that be a cue for them to consider to try something different. Maybe the way they're trying to appeal to the wider audience isn't working. Kids these days are alot more advance then the kids were when Pokémon was first created. (This is just what I've personally seen) kids that I saw get into Pokémon loved the tournament style Pokémon that happened a good bit in Black and White instead of Super Sayin Pokes.

My 11 year old loves it when it's about Pokémon battles and occasional silliness from Ash instead of Poke gods doing Poke god stuff.

Wild Heliolisk with Razor wind(IIRC). It's so broken, full room range, wipe out your team in 2/4 turns. And it's in early dungeons.

JoeM86

The one thing annoying me now is that I have ~70 Pokémon to get, but aside from legendaries have no idea how to get them and the game offers no hints as far as I can see

Watch Da Birdie

It'll be a while until I get there but I'm already concerned about a voice change. I get so used to things it's a bit jarring when they change. In tv show where an actor/voice actor changes it always stands out to me for a while. However with a show that runs this long it's inevitable.

Speaking of voice acting, Charmander's voice is legendary.

As the story goes, Charmander's voice was just done quickly by like the VA director. Apparently they didn't know it would be a reoccurring character...

Would you consider Lucario movie AG?

Yeah, but that doesn't connect to the main series (well, until Diamond and Pearl teased the Aura stuff with Ash), I mean they come across a huge German-style castle in Kanto.

What.
Pikachu's always raring to go, but Ash almost always benches him.
The last time he did anything was like Korrina.
He uses Froakie/Froagadier way too much, then Hawlucha.

I'm only at Korrina, so I guess it gets better.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Diamond and Pearl is the best season alongside Kanto, but for different reasons...it's really long, and there are of course fillers (around the time of HGSS, there's a solid block of episodes that are basically just filler for Johto Pokemon), but there is perhaps the biggest plot movement of all the series throughout the whole season. There's a multitude of reoccurring characters that are fairly developed and entertaining, the battles are top-notch as Ash is the most competent he's ever been and his Pokemon are strong, and there's multiple story elements that are built up through the series and mostly successfully carried out to completion. Team Rocket is also, imo, quite good here because they still serve as every-episode antagonists, there are numerous episodes where they're successful because Jessie takes part in Pokemon Contests (the second "Gym Battle" plot that was introduced in Hoenn), and I found they're really funny too. The weakest link of Diamond and Pearl is arguably the main group---Ash is cool on his own, but Dawn doesn't differ enough from May from Hoenn in my opinion, and Brock literally has no point of existing here. But there's enough interaction with other characters to forget about that.

Sinnoh will forever be my favourite arc, sure it started to fall apart towards the end but they still managed to stick the landing.

Honestly looking back, I have fond memories of gen 4 and that's probably why it's my favourite gen.

That's because the movie ties with the game event Pokémon, thus promoting the game.

People need to remember that the Pokémon animé sorely exist to promote the game and it will never stray off that track.

At this point they definitely need to do something new with movies.
The rate of decline is really bad.

I think the problem is that the movie can easily be written off as they are self contained and really has no baring with the animé or the other movies, barring the Sinnoh trilogy.

Which is probably why I enjoy the Sinnoh trilogy as the writers had a plan with what they wanted to do for the movies.

Shame that they didn't try this attempt again.

Wild Heliolisk with Razor wind(IIRC). It's so broken, full room range, wipe out your team in 2/4 turns. And it's in early dungeons.

It's amazing how moves that are usually considered terrible in the main series ends up being the strongest moves in the dungeon series.

JoeM86

This game is getting ridiculously brutal now. Enemies being move sponges, Monster Houses aplenty, few useful items.

Top Bottom