• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

KingBroly

Banned
And my Target gave away all of their Charizard codes.

Or they didn't put them out, because they didn't even bother to put out Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga yet -_-

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Glad the subs caught up with S/M, I really think while some of the individuals episodes are kind of dull the way everything flows together is neat.

Like how they're building up the supporting cast. I hope with the switch to Lillie and such now the other Pokemon School kids don't get pushed back to the background too much.

GoldStarz

Glad the subs caught up with S/M, I really think while some of the individuals episodes are kind of dull the way everything flows together is neat.

Like how they're building up the supporting cast. I hope with the switch to Lillie and such now the other Pokemon School kids don't get pushed back to the background too much.

I mean if they have to cut someone from the cast, Sophocles is right there.

ash_ag

So, regarding the 1000th episode of the anime which is supposed to air in November 9th according to Pokénchi. I was trying to figure out how they got the number "1000".

Pocket Monsters:
- 270 unambiguous episodes
- 1 banned episode (Porygon)
- 1 special-status episode (Pikachu's Goodbye)
- 2 displaced episodes (Girls' Day / Children's Day)
- 2 very displaced episodes (Christmas / New Year's)

Advanced Generation
- 192 unambiguous episodes
- 1 unaired episode (Whiscash)

Diamond & Pearl
- 191 unambiguous episodes
- 2 post-finale episodes (after BW started)

Best Wishes
- 142 unambiguous episodes
- 2 unaired episodes (Rocket vs Plasma 2-parter)
- 2 post-finale episodes (before and after XY started)

XY
- 140 unambiguous episodes
- 4 Mega Evolution episodes
- 2 post-finale episodes (before SM started)

SM up to November 9th
- 49 unambiguous episodes

The grand total is 1003. The combination that makes the most sense to get 1000 is the one where exactly what aired in the regular slot at least once counts, regardless of whether it's considered a "numbered" episode or a "special". So, it's the 3 unaired episodes that don't count. The number of regular episodes (including banned/unaired ones, but not the post-finale and Mega specials) is 993.

I've been trying to record all Pokémon anime items (episodes, movies and everything in-between) in a spreadsheet and codify them as well as possible for a little while now. It's work in progress (I'm yet to add English titles for anything, and many codes are there only for sorting purposes currently), but here is a link if anyone's interested:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wbeeC0wm94bQKH4sAExodN20hC8_nwvH0ZjNYUf6wFQ/edit?usp=sharing

Note that the "proper codes" between EP 037 and EP 067 have involved some guesswork. Due to the Porygon incident and conflicting sources, it's a little hard to figure out what the official code for certain episodes is, but I've been able to deduce that the original series "officially" has 274 episode codes, at least according to episode script covers that are available on the web. The two missing ones are either Porygon and Pikachu's Goodbye or the Christmas / New Year's specials.

JoeM86

Yeah, they don't count ones that didn't air.

I'll still count the side stories as special side story episodes though.

Renumbering everything would be a nightmare

Watch Da Birdie

Nah, it's gotta be Mallow.

Not that I have anything against here, but she always seems to be kind of the side girl who comes along on everyone else's adventures.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sophocles is the right answer, who barely goes along most of the time and only has a handful of episodes focused on him.

He's such a background character though that it doesn't really make sense to get rid of him.

GoldStarz

With Sophocles, it's pretty clear his inclusion was banking on the popularity he'd get from being the host of Festival Plaza. This completely backfired because everyone ended up hating it when compared to the PSS from last gen and since he's such a non-entity in his own trial's arc (Molayne has way more presence than he does, especially since you have to outright battle Mo), this gives Sophocles pretty much nothing to stand on at all. Even in some of his focus episodes, he feels like the element that's dragging it down. I wish he was better, but he's unpopular and unimportant and his role as "the smart guy" can be pretty easily divided up among the existing cast. If there's anyone superfluous there, it's him. He's literally such a non-entity to the show that when the "Goodbye Sophocles" episode came, I was genuinely unsure if they were going to follow through or not.

I thought Sophocles was primarily added as an excuse for someone to own Togedemaru, especially since Ash uses the Electrium-Z. Though it looks like Togedemaru isn't nearly as popular as the other Pika-clones. It seems that Charjabug is getting more attention at the moment.

So I beat Y and I'm off to Alpha Sapphire, I have no idea why I bought X as well -_-.

Anyways I got a breeding question, I'm kinda new to this but does the medusa method involving foreign pokemon work if I'm using a native ditto? For example if I'm using a fennekin from France and a ditto from the U.S.

How many Marshadow codes can I use per save file?

I feel like I should know this answer. I used one code for a Adamant Marshadow that's going to forever be part of my living dex and I want to use a second code for a competitive one but I'm afraid of losing the code.

I feel like I should know this answer. I used one code for a Adamant Marshadow that's going to forever be part of my living dex and I want to use a second code for a competitive one but I'm afraid of losing the code.
I think you can only get something from a specific event once unless you restart your file. Deleting Wonder Cards does nothing.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Hopefully, Sophocles is my least favorite character both within the game, I seriously hated his trial, and the animé.

Nah, it's gotta be Mallow.

Not that I have anything against here, but she always seems to be kind of the side girl who comes along on everyone else's adventures.

Nah Mallow is the best.

It's one per save file.

I think you can only get something from a specific event once unless you restart your file. Deleting Wonder Cards does nothing.

Hopefully, Sophocles is my least favorite character both within the game, I seriously hated his trial, and the animé.

Nah Mallow is the best.

It's one per save file.

Sounds about right. Not in the position to restart because I'm breeding the final member for my Ultra play through.

Right now I have

Shiny Froakie with HA, IV's, and EV trained Lvl 1
Shiny Torchic same as Froakie
HP Ice Jolteon Lvl 1
Finally breeding for a Shiny Adamant Rowlet with overgrow which I'll aim for as perfect IV's as I can and I'll EV train him/her like I did with the others and leave at Lvl 1.

That's 4 Pokémon and leaves space for 2 I'll add during my actual play through. UB Adhesive is taking up one of those spots. So 1 spot left. Show me some reveals Game Freak.

Anyone else have their teams pre planned?

Mr-Joker

Banned

Roughly, Ultra Moon team is ready to go but has a empty slot for a water type Pokémon, whereas Ultra Sun has spare slot but two members are placement on the team is depend on if their hidden ability is available and what move tutor we will get.

I don't think that Ultra Sun team will be finalized till after I have finished Ultra Moon, which is fine by mean as I had plan for Ultra Sun to be last in my head story.

I'm planning on sending over some bred stuff from G/S. Like maybe a Larvitar or Heracross. I know that UB Burst is defintitely getting a spot if it's available before postgame. Might pick Litten since it's the only starter I haven't used.

Not sure if this is the right place to talk about it, but does anyone else thing Ultra Sun and Moon will pull a black and white 2 sales wise? Nine of my pokemon playing friends are picking it up, and I haven't seen much discussion of it online.

KingBroly

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to talk about it, but does anyone else thing Ultra Sun and Moon will pull a black and white 2 sales wise? Nine of my pokemon playing friends are picking it up, and I haven't seen much discussion of it online.

BW2 still sold over 10 million copies

This will sell fine, but going back to Alola after a year is just...too soon

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm planning on sending over some bred stuff from G/S. Like maybe a Larvitar or Heracross. I know that UB Burst is defintitely getting a spot if it's available before postgame. Might pick Litten since it's the only starter I haven't used.

I am also hoping that UB - Adhesive can be caught before post game, the little guy just so cute.

I am also picking Litten as a reserve Pokémon in Ultra Moon, will get him to Torracat and rotate him in and out of my team.

Historically speaking third version tend to sell less than the main version, plus with the Switch being the hottest thing on the market and the excitement of a main series game finally coming to a home console so folks are probably skipping Ultra Sun and Moon.

MAtgS

IDK what that even means. Did BW2 do well sales wise or not?

I am also hoping that UB - Adhesive can be caught before post game, the little guy just so cute.

I am also picking Litten as a reserve Pokémon in Ultra Moon, will get him to Torracat and rotate him in and out of my team.

Historically speaking third version tend to sell less than the main version, plus with the Switch being the hottest thing on the market and the excitement of a main series game finally coming to a home console so folks are probably skipping Ultra Sun and Moon.

It's at an awkward release point to sequentially, there really needed to be a different game or a remake in between SM/USUM.

Most fans on other forums or whatever are still upset about an updated version being released a year after SM.

JoeM86

BW2 still sold over 10 million copies

This will sell fine, but going back to Alola after a year is just...too soon

No it didn't. Last we saw it was at almost 8 million unless you have later numbers than I have access to.

All the third/enhanced/sequel games typically do around half of what the initial generation games did

Red/Green/Blue: 31m - Yellow: 14.6m
Gold/Silver: 23m - Crystal: 6.3m
Ruby/Sapphire: 16m - Emerald: 7m
Diamond/Pearl: 17m - Platinum: 7.6m
Black/White: 15m - Black 2/White 2: 7.9m

GoldStarz

I have a little planned out, I'm going to get Zorua at the trainer school and use it to replace my starter, and a Cutiefly on island 1 since I wanted to use it, but I already had a couple of bugs that were planned to be on my team. I'll have to see what else gets added to the Dex for the rest, though.

I'm sure that being a sequel helped, but I think BW2 ultimately outsold Platinum due to there being two games instead of one. If I remember right, BW are the lowest selling games when comparing the first set in a generation.

Who knows how that'll effect US/UM. It basically renders S/M pointless for people who haven't bought any Gen 7 game yet. At the same time, how many people will go back to play an enhanced version only a year after the base games were released? Not to mention the Switch's popularity and having confirmation that a new Pokemon game will be released on the system.

I mentioned around 2/3 weeks ago that it was a bit strange for US/UM to release so soon considering TPC's stance on the Switch before its release, and that it would've made sense in their eyes to release US/UM in 2018. It couldn't have been pushed forward because the I Choose You Cap Pikachu being exclusive to US/UM wouldn't have made any sense. The next movie would have already been announced and maybe even released at that point.

JoeM86

Forcing you to preorder to get the Marshadow code is pretty scummy. This is why these code distributions are fucking terrible.

Which store is doing this? I think EBGames in Canada is, but I'm waiting for them to come back to confirm as their Twitter says otherwise.

Local wireless distributions were just as bad with some stores not turning on the distribution until you make a purchase.

I'm sure that being a sequel helped, but I think BW2 ultimately outsold Platinum due to there being two games instead of one. If I remember right, BW are the lowest selling games when comparing the first set in a generation.

Who knows how that'll effect US/UM. It basically renders S/M pointless for people who haven't bought any Gen 7 game yet. At the same time, how many people will go back to play an enhanced version only a year after the base games were released? Not to mention the Switch's popularity and having confirmation that a new Pokemon game will be released on the system.

I mentioned around 2/3 weeks ago that it was a bit strange for US/UM to release so soon considering TPC's stance on the Switch before its release, and that it would've made sense in their eyes to release US/UM in 2018. It couldn't have been pushed forward because the I Choose You Cap Pikachu being exclusive to US/UM wouldn't have made any sense. The next movie would have already been announced and maybe even released at that point.

Well I'm sure retailers aren't particularly crazy about it, because if there's one 3DS series stores keep in stock still it's Pokemon. There's still quite a few copies of S/M out which will basically just sit there.

KingBroly

Banned
Got 3 Charizard codes today

Used 2, traded another for a Marshadow code

So thanks to the Unova Pikachu, I got that, 2 Charizards and a Marshadow today

Living Dex updated once again

I guess I still need an Alola Sandslash, but US/UM can probably cover that for me

Corocoro has leaked. It shows that both Necrozma forms have a Z move. Both forms also have Prism Armor as an ability.

I noticed that the Kyurem and Necrozma forms are opposites in a way. The former set has the same abilities as the cover legendaries but keeps its typing, while the other set keep the original ability but take the types of the cover legendaries.

Loxley

Hey all! I'm planning on picking up a 3DS pretty soon and was thinking of grabbing Pokemon with it - the problem is I literally haven't played a game in this series since Red and Blue. So my question is, which of the more recent games would you recommend to somebody who's basically coming into the series fresh? I've heard that some of them are more new-player friendly than others.

Thanks!

JoeM86

Hey all! I'm planning on picking up a 3DS pretty soon and was thinking of grabbing Pokemon with it - the problem is I literally haven't played a game in this series since Red and Blue. So my question is, which of the more recent games would you recommend to somebody who's basically coming into the series fresh? I've heard that some of them are more new-player friendly than others.

Thanks!

X & Y or Sun & Moon are perfect entry points :)

brinstar

Thanks!
Get Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon when they release in November, imo the best pokemon experience is when you can play alongside everyone else when it's new

Watch Da Birdie

I like that you can interact more with the Rotom Dex.

But now it lets you use two Z-Moves...eh...

Thanks!

Either XY or ORAS are good for new players. The campaign in XY is structured a bit more like a modern rpg with it's pacing with bigger quests in between gyms. Where ORAS kind of follows the traditional style a bit more with route/gym repeat with little in between.

XY will nab you gen I and gen VI starters where ORAS can nab you all the starters in between with gen II-V when you gain the ability to get the DS and GS starters in the post game. Although I'm sure many gaffers, including myself can trade you any starters (I can hook you up with any XY starters you need) and you can always use the GTS to get anything. Although there's a ton of trolls using the GTS there's still plenty of nice players in the community willing to help people out.

ORAS has the better endgame with a huge legendary hunt that includes legendaries from the DS games. XY doesn't have many endgame legends which only includes Zygarde, Mewtwo and one of the legendary birds from RB (articuno, zapdos, moltres).

It just depends on what you want, ORAS has more Pokemon to gear you up for US/UM. But I kinda liked XY's campaign more than I did ORAS. It's not like the formula has changed much since Red/Blue for either though, your still fighting trainers, getting badges, stopping whatever team from doing whatever.

Got 3 Charizard codes today

Used 2, traded another for a Marshadow code

So thanks to the Unova Pikachu, I got that, 2 Charizards and a Marshadow today

Living Dex updated once again

I guess I still need an Alola Sandslash, but US/UM can probably cover that for me

Right now I'm breeding for a Shiny Rowlet after I get done I can get my regular Sandslash and breed you a egg. I believe even if the eggs are from the original Kanto forms it'll still be hatched into a Alolan form. Not 100% sure or I'll just put a Rowlet up on GTSvand get you one.

Give me a little time.

KingBroly

Banned
Right now I'm breeding for a Shiny Rowlet after I get done I can get my regular Sandslash and breed you a egg. I believe even if the eggs are from the original Kanto forms it'll still be hatched into a Alolan form. Not 100% sure or I'll just put a Rowlet up on GTSvand get you one.

Give me a little time.

I'm going be save deleting for a few weeks due to the Pikachu caps, so...yeah.

I'm going be save deleting for a few weeks due to the Pikachu caps, so...yeah.

I sent a PM so we won't clutter the OT with our trade talk.

If you have any Extra Cap Pikachu that's not from Kanto I'll be interested in trading for them. I can't restart because I'm using the IV judge and breeding a lot.

GoldStarz

Looking at a couple of potential mons to use for my USUM team, for anyone who's used them, can you tell me how the following mons play in the game's story mode:

Munchlax/Snorlax
Cutiefly/Ribombee
Wishiwashi
Dewpider/Araquanid
Cubone/A!Marowak
Sandygast/Palossand
Togedemaru
Klefki
Dhelmise
Exeggcute/A!Exeggutor

So Necrozma is an evil motherfucker right?

I think Necrozma is going to tie in with the themes of how even in the Pokemon world, nature can be harsh. It's not going be something that is actively trying to cause destruction through malice, it's just a predator/parasite that's going in for another meal to survive.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Looking at a couple of potential mons to use for my USUM team, for anyone who's used them, can you tell me how the following mons play in the game's story mode:

Munchlax/Snorlax

Snorlax is pretty good bulky Pokémon with a decent attack and learns a huge range of move set, you can't go wrong with him on your team.

Cutiefly/Ribombee

Surprisingly pretty good as I was even debating to whether to bump her from a reserve to a full fledged member in favour of dumbing Alolan Ninetales but in the end I decided to give her a spot on my Ultra Moon team.

Delio

Dewpider/Araquanid

Araquanid was a lot of fun. Tho i ended up leaving it behind since i was running Golispod at the same time.

GoldStarz

Snorlax is pretty good bulky Pokémon with a decent attack and learns a huge range of move set, you can't go wrong with him on your team.

Surprisingly pretty good as I was even debating to whether to bump her from a reserve to a full fledged member in favour of dumbing Alolan Ninetales but in the end I decided to give her a spot on my Ultra Moon team.
Thanks! I heard Cutiefly's line does pretty well for itself with it's good speed.
Araquanid was a lot of fun. Tho i ended up leaving it behind since i was running Golispod at the same time.

Yeah, that's the reason I didn't use it, I was already planning to use Golisopod, who was pretty fun to use.

brinstar

I think I might go with Snorlax this time, I've been wanting to raise a Munchlax in game since Gen 4 but it's always been a pain in the ass to obtain and in Sun I went with all new mons

Top Bottom