• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

For someone who likes Pokemon from the first season of anime, and Pokemon Go, which one is the best game to start? Pokemon X or AS ? I will lend my 3DS to my gf to play one of them, Moon is not an option yet since it has every competitive Pokemon, Item, and basically my competitive and VGC game, but she will play it eventually.

I thought about X since it has a good variety of Pokemon, has enough nostalgia value and well, stuff like customization and the like.

Are you guys preparing eggs to trade into ultra sun and moon? I was thinking of doing that since I have a copy of sun and a spare 2ds so I can trade with myself. The 2ds used to belong to my oldest but she’s since upgraded to a new 3ds last Christmas.

With ORAS the campaign is a little more enjoyable though since the AI is more competent than in XY. NPC trainers have more than three pokemon and will actually use items or abuse cheap combos at times. They also switch out Pokemon more often than the AI in XY.

One of my biggest complaints about XY is that until the very end almost all trainers, including gym leaders only have three Pokemon if that. Most of the time they'll only use one item if they even use it.

I like XY's kalos region more than Hoenn but battling trainers is a freaking slog.

pikablu

Man I thought you could trade items from omega ruby to sun. Its a shame you can't because I need a kings rock for my slowpoke. I ended up paying for pokemon bank to find out I was mistaken. ughh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man I thought you could trade items from omega ruby to sun. Its a shame you can't because I need a kings rock for my slowpoke. I ended up paying for pokemon bank to find out I was mistaken. ughh.

Pokemon Bank will lead you to items though via free Battle Points which you can use to buy that sort of item.

lupinko

Yeah I was thinking about which starter eggs I should breed for my primary Ultra Moon game.

Or just mix and match? I don't know.

My primary Moon game has all the Alola starters (hatched and shiny too!) already. Maybe I should run all Sinnoh starters in that main playthrough.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Who's your favorite champion in the series?

I vote for Cynthia as her team consists of rare/exotic Pokemon that only very dedicated trainers in-universe could find and train. Fitting for the position of Champion. They're powerful too - Garchomp, Lucario, and Milotic!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I vote for Cynthia as her team consists of rare/exotic Pokemon that only very dedicated trainers in-universe could find and train. Fitting for the position of Champion. They're powerful too - Garchomp, Lucario, and Milotic!

I think anyone who doesn't is a rarity - outside of the nostalgia-wanking for "Champion" Green/Blue.

Sciz

Kukui took me completely by surprise, then handed me my ass with carefully drawn up movesets instead of pure power. I absolutely loved it.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
I tried to play through a new save in OR today, but I honestly can’t stand it, which is weird because I don’t dislike Hoenn.
I enjoy replaying Black and B2 every now and then, and VC Gold was fun too. I wonder if XY would be the same experience as OR.

Danielsan

Currently going through an Emerald Nuzlocke playthrough. It feels like nearly every Pokémon I encounter is either water, ground or grass (mostly water though). It doesn't help that the two electric pokemon that I've caught have died (Manectric and Voltorb). Now comes the part of Hoenn that I dislike, the water side...

brinstar

Cynthia's the queen but I have a soft spot for Alder too

I figured you guys might get a kick out of this:
https://youtu.be/HZQkBI9F-l8?t=15m28s

It's some of the clearest footage of the Spaceworld 1997 Demo of G/S I've ever found.

Did you send this over to TCRF yet? This is awesome, early Hoppip, early Gold/Ethan colors, and the inside of an early tower dungeon.

Edit: Image version for those who can't view the video:
hQTMrq7.png
Looks like the Growlithe Statues evolved into Arcanine by the final.
The really early item menu seems like it was only set up for the demo video and was based on the debug menus that were found in Crystal. It only has a pocket for regular items, balls, and the bike. Also interesting that Mail was just that with no variation (ie. Eon Mail).

Interesting, it seems that Solgaleo and Lunala can use the corresponding Z-move without being fused with Necrozma. I didn't pick up on that until I saw it on the official site.

Mr-Joker

Banned
With ORAS the campaign is a little more enjoyable though since the AI is more competent than in XY. NPC trainers have more than three pokemon and will actually use items or abuse cheap combos at times. They also switch out Pokemon more often than the AI in XY.

One of my biggest complaints about XY is that until the very end almost all trainers, including gym leaders only have three Pokemon if that. Most of the time they'll only use one item if they even use it.

I like XY's kalos region more than Hoenn but battling trainers is a freaking slog.

I have been playing through the main series game throughout the generation, currently up to gen 4, and honestly I agree Gen 6 trainers were way too easy, including gym leaders, the elite 4 and the champion, who was laughably easy as her ace would always be sent out last even if she had the type advantage.

Heck trainers in Sun and Moon are better as during my match against Kukui, he switch his Pokémon out twice.

I have never seen any X and Y trainers display that level of smartness.

My Champion ranking as followed;

Cynthia,
Kukui,
Blue,
Lance,
Iris,
N*,
Alder,
Steven,
Wallace.

Not even gonna bother put Diantha on the list as she's a joke in my eye and was barely in the game and played no role what so ever that other champion did in their game.

*He technically defeated Alder in Black and White thus making him the champion.

I figured you guys might get a kick out of this:
https://youtu.be/HZQkBI9F-l8?t=15m28s

It's some of the clearest footage of the Spaceworld 1997 Demo of G/S I've ever found.

Wow that's pretty cool, I didn't know that Hoppip looked so different originally, though I prefer the original design over the final one though who knows maybe it will return someday as a new Pokémon or a regional form for the Pokémon.

turbocat

I thought I'd post this here, since I recently went through the entire process.

This week, after having beaten Pokemon Gold and having a never-before-played HeartGold cart, I decided to set up HeartGold as a Cute Charm game. If anyone needs any help or any tips, I'd be more than happy to help. There are a lot of guides out there that say they are step-by-step, but I found some stuff to be missing, and it's a bit hard to explain if you're not in the thick of it.

For those unaware. in gen IV games, there's an exploit with the Cute Charm ability that essentially can make the shiny rate of mixed-gendered Pokemon ~20ish% (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Some details here: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_part5

Anyone watched Zoids back in the day?

Blade Liger and Liger Zero is what comes to mind whenever I see Dusk Necrozma.

Fake Edit: I would post pics but I switched to and got a new iPhone and for the life of me I can't figure out how to post pics on Gaf. imgur links doesn't work either.

lupinko

I'm in the process of breeding Alola Vulpix, anyone interested in my rejects?

They will be and have:

- Timid Nature
- Snow Warning (HA)
- Encore, Hypnosis, Moonblast, Freeze-Dry
- Love Ball
- IVs 4-5

I can SV check my eggs before hand so I can see the IVs (among other things) prior to hatching.

And to whoever asked before, yes my Dittos also come in many languages.

- English
- Japanese
- Spanish
- Italian
- German

I forget which one has which nature right now since I'm at work but there are 7 different natures (so two of the languages actually have a pair each).

Please tell me what your game language is set to, and I'll give you a corresponding foreign Ditto. Now remember Masuda Method is with any foreign pairing and is just not exclusive to Japanese language Pokemon. I just want a heart scale in return since you can never have enough heart scales, so have a random Pokémon hold it when you do the trade. I have one person who already inquired and I have to get back to that person. I'm also in Japan so the times will be weird if you live in the Americas.

And to be clear, you can't ask me for a specific one, unless you are willing to trade me a metal coat, shiny stone, ice stone, dawn stone, dusk stone or sun stone instead of a heart scale.

Speaking of SV checking, if you know your TSV and you'd like to do ESV hatching please mention it too! I'd try Reddit but it's so fussy with the posting that I gave up on it.

So yeah just PM if interested.

celebi23

Did you send this over to TCRF yet? This is awesome, early Hoppip, early Gold/Ethan colors, and the inside of an early tower dungeon.

Edit: Image version for those who can't view the video:

Looks like the Growlithe Statues evolved into Arcanine by the final.
The really early item menu seems like it was only set up for the demo video and was based on the debug menus that were found in Crystal. It only has a pocket for regular items, balls, and the bike. Also interesting that Mail was just that with no variation (ie. Eon Mail).

Sending it to TCRF now.

In a game I otherwise didnt care much for, the Kukui battle might be my favourite of any pokemon game.

My own reject is sitting in the bank until the switch version releases. I dont want to replace them with one that has better stats because that seems messed up :)

Gotten my Marshadow and boxed it. Just for the heck of it decided to start wondertrading all the pokemon from older gens that I have in the box. (Not the ones in the bank, thats reserve lol. Just catchable ones)

I see a beast ball and I'm like "Seriously? Someone sent an ultra beast?" then it's a magicarp.

TBH thats not the worst because if I really wanted to get a Gyarados I'll breed it so it comes in a beast ball lol.

edit:

Hihi

lupinko

In a game I otherwise didnt care much for, the Kukui battle might be my favourite of any pokemon game.

My own reject is sitting in the bank until the switch version releases. I dont want to replace them with one that has better stats because that seems messed up :)

I'm breeding a 5IV Vulpix with a 6IV Ditto for this run, so. :p

Edit: More like 6IV Vulpix with 6IV Ditto.

my copy of heartgold finally showed up in the mail today

i now have all the DS mainline games and it feels quite nice

but god it was not cheap, i don't think i'll ever understand why HGSS cost as much as they do

Busaiku

Sun & Moon ratings have been pretty good, seems like an uptick from XYZ.
I Choose You also beat all the 6th gen movies, so things are looking pretty good right now.

Shame it didn't translate to better sales for Sun & Moon in Japan though.

my copy of heartgold finally showed up in the mail today

i now have all the DS mainline games and it feels quite nice

but god it was not cheap, i don't think i'll ever understand why HGSS cost as much as they do

Just a guess, but did HGSS sell the least amount of copies? Sounds like there's low amount of 2nd hand copies available.

Sun & Moon ratings have been pretty good, seems like an uptick from XYZ.
I Choose You also beat all the 6th gen movies, so things are looking pretty good right now.

Shame it didn't translate to better sales for Sun & Moon in Japan though.

good, pokemon is a really weird and goofy game and the sun and moon anime perfectly represents that, at least so far.

Busaiku

Just a guess, but did HGSS sell the least amount of copies? Sounds like there's low amount of 2nd hand copies available.
Not necessarily.
It sold more than Fire Red and Leaf Green, but it's much more desirable.
The latter may be lower due to the abundance of fakes though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Heart Gold was one of my bigger return investment in games recently got about 150 for it last year :D

Debating if I want to pick up ultra moon now or early next year. Too many games coming out :l

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They will be and have:

- Timid Nature
- Snow Warning (HA)
- Encore, Hypnosis, Moonblast, Freeze-Dry
- Love Ball
- IVs 4-5

I can SV check my eggs before hand so I can see the IVs (among other things) prior to hatching.

And to whoever asked before, yes my Dittos also come in many languages.

- English
- Japanese
- Spanish
- Italian
- German

I forget which one has which nature right now since I'm at work but there are 7 different natures (so two of the languages actually have a pair each).

Please tell me what your game language is set to, and I'll give you a corresponding foreign Ditto. Now remember Masuda Method is with any foreign pairing and is just not exclusive to Japanese language Pokemon. I just want a heart scale in return since you can never have enough heart scales, so have a random Pokémon hold it when you do the trade. I have one person who already inquired and I have to get back to that person. I'm also in Japan so the times will be weird if you live in the Americas.

And to be clear, you can't ask me for a specific one, unless you are willing to trade me a metal coat, shiny stone, ice stone, dawn stone, dusk stone or sun stone instead of a heart scale.

Speaking of SV checking, if you know your TSV and you'd like to do ESV hatching please mention it too! I'd try Reddit but it's so fussy with the posting that I gave up on it.

So yeah just PM if interested.

It was I who asked about the dittos. I have a ton of English 6IV Dittos (every non neutral nature) but never got any foreign ones. I'm able to trade at pretty much any time during the weekend (I used to play PBR at 2-4am with a ton of people from Japan.)

plus

wild Poliwhirl carry them (as do Hariyama but those are postgame wild encounters iirc). Maybe just try a compoundeyes mon in the lead and thief spam an SOS chain?

lupinko

It was I who asked about the dittos. I have a ton of English 6IV Dittos (every non neutral nature) but never got any foreign ones. I'm able to trade at pretty much any time during the weekend (I used to play PBR at 2-4am with a ton of people from Japan.)

I sent you a pm.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Haha, I just realized Game Freak actually gave Delibird another attack other than Present in Sun and Moon---Drill Peck.

Forget Farfetch'd, that's the biggest troll Pokemon in my mind. I remember its Hidden Ability in Gen V just being Vital Spirit when it already got Insomnia.

Can I just rant for a sec? I've been replaying Sun in preparation for USUM and there is just one small thing that keeps irritating the hell out of me. Why is the designated 'bike' Pokemon so damn large? You've already got Tauros for a big charger Pokemon so why did they need to pick a mon as large as Stoutland to be the middle ground of that? There are too damn many points where you hit a spot in the path where Stoutland can't fit and then you have to get off, walk through that part, and then get back on. It is such a tedious thing, especially when it looks like if you were using a bike or a thinner Pokemon like Rapidash, you'd be able to get through easily.

It wouldn't be such an annoying thing if I didn't have to hold down B to run. Why the hell did they introduce auto run for literally one remake and then never bring it back again? There is no reason why auto run isn't a thing yet in these games. The D-pad isn't even used for movement anymore so there's no reason why it shouldn't be that if you push the circle pad far enough, you run.

It's not like SM is already pretty tedious to replay with all of the unskippable cutscenes. I really hope USUM are an improvement.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
I never thought of Stoutland as the bike, but I rarely used him due to similar complaints as you. Tauros was my main form of transportation.
I like Ride Pokemon, but sacrificing the bike was a mistake.

Boss Doggie

why would that need justifying? its even in the earliest dex as being mistaken for a pokeball/mimic

because it's dumb

how could you, a trainer, mistake a foot-size large sphere as a poke ball/item ball?

and no, I don't consider "graphical limitations" as an excuse, because other games did it right in spite of graphical limitations (chest becomes a monster by transforming, etc.). no dex mentions voltorb "transforming" from a small size ball to a large one

it's why I consider Foongus as a superior "crappy" mimic, because at least they acknowledge the limitation

because it's dumb

how could you, a trainer, mistake a foot-size large sphere as a poke ball/item ball?

and no, I don't consider "graphical limitations" as an excuse, because other games did it right in spite of graphical limitations (chest becomes a monster by transforming, etc.). no dex mentions voltorb "transforming" from a small size ball to a large one

it's why I consider Foongus as a superior "crappy" mimic, because at least they acknowledge the limitation

because you're talking about a gameboy game where you're a 10yr old going around fighting crime with your jigglypuffs and sparklesqueaks
I think if you're trying to make logical sense of Pokemon, especially the early version, you're going to have an aneurysm

Boss Doggie

because you're talking about a gameboy game where you're a 10yr old going around fighting crime with your jigglypuffs and sparklesqueaks
I think if you're trying to make logical sense of Pokemon, especially the early version, you're going to have an aneurysm

But I already stated that that defense is garbage, since other 8 bit games did it flawlessly

it's not so much as making logical sense but more on trying to analyze a rather terrible defense for it

But I already stated that that defense is garbage, since other 8 bit games did it flawlessly

it's not so much as making logical sense but more on trying to analyze a rather terrible defense for it

your argument makes no sense since they recycle sprite assets in the overworld a lot and half of the pokemon you talk to share one sprite. An actual pokeball is obviously not as big as it shows on the overworld either, since its there as a representation, just like everything else.

Top Bottom