• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

hNscA.png
KD6BU.gif
PCTrq.gif
LijCj.gif
NrsCl.gif
Y6Jo6.gif
qEh82.gif
xX0su.gif
JusDJ.gif
NwLAA.gif
iap0P.gif
9OdwV.gif
6PyVG.gif
M9sr5.gif

I0C0k.png

Like the other community threads, we have a couple simple rules here to keep discussion lively and fun for everybody.

1. All discussion of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 is to be kept in the official thread for those games. Nothing from them, not even spoiler-tagged content, will be allowed here until the games' North American release.
  2. You can post clean fanart here, but try to restrain yourself from posting too much and diverting discussion. Current rule is a maximum of three images per post. You are free to post to your heart's desire in the Pokémon Art Thread. It shouldn't need repeating, but dirty fanart is not welcome here.
  3. Discussion of the series' music should go in the Pokémon Music Appreciation Thread.
  4. Discussion and asking for help about the competitive nature of the mainline games (IVs, EVs, Natures, hold items, etc.) should go in the Competitive Pokémon Thread.
  5. Discussion about the individual games themselves, and discussion of their online, should go in each game's official thread. Note that this only applies to games from Generations 4 and 5: Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Black/White, and Black 2/White 2.
  6. News about the series should get its own thread in Gaming, or be posted in an appropriate pre-existing thread.
  7. You can have casual discussion with your fellow Poké-nerds at the PokeGAF IRC. That's #PokeGAF at irc.rizon.net. Note: There will be no spoiler talk of Pokémon Black and White Version 2 in the IRC until the games are released internationally.
  8. PokéGAF now has its own Steam Community! Now you can play PC games and participate in events with your favorite neighborhood mental defects.
  9. We're all here to have fun, right? Discussion can get heated but please respect whoever you may be discussing with.

S4W25.png

Possible topics of discussions could be:

• Which generation introduced the best changes?
  • Do you watch the anime? Why or why not?
  • What can be done to improve the series in future games?
  • What are your favorite Pokémon? From each generation?
  • What are some of the craziest urban legends you've heard about the series?
  • Should the manga get its own anime?
  • Is the series stagnating? Why or why not?
  • Should the battle system be changed to be more action-oriented?
  • What more can be done with online?
  • What are your favorite anime openings, American and/or Japanese?
  • What's your personal ranking of the mainline games, and why?

ZA2tQ.png

cIyhB.png
34MsS.png
pLhDo.png

After a staggering six-year development period, Pocket Monsters Red and Green were released in Japan in February 1996. Boasting revolutionary connectivity features and addicting gameplay, they were pretty much an overnight success, eventually going on to sell over 10 million in their home country (with the help of the eventual Blue.) Red and Green introduced the original 150 Pokémon, plus one extra: Mew, which was the first Pokémon trademark ever registered but the last Pokémon put into the game -- even after the debug tools were removed, which is more than a bit dangerous!

rFavq.png
saiAL.png

Japan would see its third version, Blue, later that year in October 1996. However it would be about two years before international markets would taste the phenomenon. Pokémon Red and Blue were released for the United States, Europe, and Australia between September and October 1998. They were essentially translated versions of Japan's Blue, and became an overnight sensation.

h4qKK.png
tWBXq.png

Red and Blue exploded in popularity, but what fed that popularity was the series' anime, which itself was lighting up the charts as well. To capitalize on this, a fourth Generation 1 game was created: Pokémon Yellow, released in Japan in September 1998 and abroad in 1999 and 2000. Based on Red and Blue, Yellow tied in explicitly with the anime in several ways: the player's starting Pokémon was always Pikachu (and the rival's was always Eevee), Jesse and James were involved in the story's plot, and the player's Pikachu had a personality and followed him around the overworld. This "following Pokémon" feature was exclusive to Yellow for over 10 years until HeartGold and SoulSilver.

A7rEt.png
Y6gnI.png

Three years after Red and Green's debut in Japan, and two years after Red and Blue's debut in North America, Pokémon Gold and Silver were released. Boasting numerous additions and enhancements to the series, many fans considered them the best in the entire series. These changes included a real-time day/night and week cycle (that affected which Pokémon you could catch at certain times, and what certain Pokémon evolve into), breeding Pokémon (and by extension genders), the Special stat being split into Special Attack and Special Defense, and shiny Pokémon (basically ultra-rare pallet swaps.) It also added a new region, two new types (Dark and Steel), and 101 new Pokémon to the Pokémon world. Besides that, clearing the main quest would open up the previous games' Kanto region and gyms -- making them the only games in the series with more than one explorable region.

Gold and Silver also remain the only main series games to continue the storyline from the previous game, showing the exploits of a leader-less Team Rocket. All in all, tremendous games that truly earned their development title of Pocket Monsters 2. Game Freak put their all into Gold and Silver because they expected them to be the final games in the series. But of course, all good things must never come to an end...

h4qKK.png
H5jkx.png

One year after Gold and Silver, Pokémon Crystal hit the scene. It contained some minor tweaks and traditions such as the standard for the "third versions" would become. These included the series' first Battle Tower, short intro animations for in-battle Pokémon, a subplot focusing on the Unown and Suicune, and in what would become a series staple from this game-on, a playable female character.

xr6sq.png
uozeX.png

Two years after Crystal, the Pokémon series was ready to leap onto much stronger hardware for the first time. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire were released in 2002 and 2003 and sort of became a blank slate for Game Freak -- a strong foundation they would use well into the future, that is still in place in some areas in Black and White. To begin with, Ruby and Sapphire broke connectivity with all previous mainline games; while Gold, Silver, and Crystal could trade back and forth with their older brethren, such was not that case with Ruby and Sapphire even though it was technically possible. Additionally, the single explorable region, Hoenn, featured very few of the series' previous 251 Pokémon, opting instead to showcase the 135 new Pokémon they were introducing. This made it impossible or very difficult to get one of those older Pokémon until FireRed and LeafGreen were released. For these reasons and some others, Ruby and Sapphire were the first games that the entire fanbase did not have a unified opinion on -- some liked the new Pokémon and changes, others did not like how much it changed or removed from the last generation (like the day/night cycle, or continuing the plot.)

But looking back, all of that was a necessary step. Although not really apparent until Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire's changes and especially additions were crucial in making the series better-suited for hardcore play. These additions included abilities, natures, double battles, Pokémon Contests, and a 60 frames-per-second framerate.

uyE2r.png
qhTlo.png

Realizing what they had done by breaking connectivity with earlier games in Ruby and Sapphire, Game Freak acted quickly and in 2004 released Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen. These two games were enhanced remakes of the first two games in the series (Red and Green, obviously) that not only featured appropriately updated graphics, but also most of the Ruby and Sapphire's enhancements as well such as a playable female character. FireRed and LeafGreen also introduced the GBA Wireless Adapter, which lets players trade and battle wirelessly. Finally, these two remakes added an additional area called the Sevii Islands south of Kanto where Pokémon from Generation 2 could be caught, finally making almost all of the Pokémon in the series available in the GameBoy Advance games.

h4qKK.png
lRWA0.png

In 2004 and 2005, Pokémon Emerald was released at the end of the GameBoy Advance's life (heck, the Nintendo DS was already out when Emerald was released internationally.) Even still, Emerald was the only thing to tide Pokémon fans over for the two years until Diamond and Pearl. In addition to compatibility with the GBA Wireless Adapter, Emerald combined Ruby and Sapphire's plots, as well as further hardcore tweaks (like Flame Body halving an egg's hatch time) culminating in the Battle Frontier, Game Freak's love letter to hardcore battlers. Easily adding 100s of hours to your in-game clock if you truly dove into it, the Battle Frontier featured a full seven areas that tested your Pokémon mettle in vastly different areas. Here, it wasn't possible to win a match with brute strength (higher levels) and revives/potions -- you had to come up with a team with as few flaws and gaps as possible, and use your intelligence to decide which move was best.

GWSAc.png
ZLbPy.png

In 2006 and 2007, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl ushered in the fourth generation on the Nintendo DS, the first non-GameBoy hardware to host the main series. Introducing Sinnoh and 107 new Pokémon, Diamond and Pearl were brave steps in the series forward. They were compatible with the previous generation games through the Pal Park, and brought back and expanded on the day/night time cycle from Generation 2. Arguably their biggest contribution to the series was online play -- through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, friends could battle and trade Pokémon worldwide for the first time, all with full voice chat support. Players could also request and search for trades from anyone through the Global Trade System, although random online battles were sadly not available. Some Pokémon in this generation featured dimorphous sprites: small changes dependent on a Pokémon's gender. As for hardcore play, Diamond and Pearl designated individual moves as Physical or Special, instead of whole types, which was a pretty radical change that made the games feel more balanced.

h4qKK.png
8DlpZ.png

Pokémon Platinum was released in 2008 and 2009 and was Diamond and Pearl's "third game." It changed the storyline from those games a bit with the addition of the characters Looker and Charon, culminating in a different ending that took place in Giratina's native Distortion Realm. The amount of gameplay tweaks were admittedly minimal outside of the resurrection of the Battle Frontier, which was quite different from Emerald's but functioned much the same as a post-game area for more hardcore players.

8ei1A.png
ITsPW.png

Following in FireRed and LeafGreen's footsteps, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver were the series' second set of remakes, this time obviously of Gold and Silver, however they integrated some of Crystal's features as well, including the Battle Tower (well, Battle Frontier, carried over exactly from Platinum), and the Unown and Suicune subplots. HeartGold and SoulSilver also resurrected Yellow's standout feature, "following Pokémon," making it applicable to any of Generation 4's 493 Pokémon (however, the following Pokémon did not have dynamic personalities like Yellow's Pikachu did.) HeartGold and SoulSilver went out of their way to address their original's shortcomings, adding a Safari Zone to Johto, Cerulean Cave back to Kanto, and as many legendary Pokémon as possible: Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, Mewtwo, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latios/Latias, Groudon/Kyogre and Rayquaza are all capturable in-game without any sort of events. Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, and Palkia/Dialga/Giratina were made available through events.

WtFiB.png
49q8p.png

Not missing a beat, the fifth generational games Pokémon Black and White debuted in 2010 and 2011, following HeartGold and SoulSilver the year before. They were the first games that debuted a new generation that was playable on the same systems as the prior generation since Gold and Silver, and like those games Black and White had increased functionality on Nintendo's "in-betweeny" system, in this case the Nintendo DSi. When played on a DSi, four player videochat was possible.

Aside from that, Black and White featured some sweeping changes compared to Diamond and Pearl. Technical Machines no longer broke (like Hidden Machines), there was now a seasonal system in addition to the day/night cycle, random online battles were now possible, and the game introduced triple and rotation battles that built off the mechanics established for double battles. Online-wise, Black and White could connect to the Pokémon Dream World, the website of which you could encounter Pokémon with special abilities. Unfortunately, the "following Pokémon" feature was not carried over from HeartGold and SoulSilver. Finally, Black and White introduced the Unova region and 156 new Pokémon -- a series high!​

O31Eb.png

TddJm.png

Being the second-highest-selling franchise worldwide, Pokémon has had numerous spinoff games. These stretch back to Hey You, Pikachu! and Pokémon Snap for the N64, Pokémon Trading Card Game and the Pokémon Pinball series for GameBoy and GameBoy Advance, the Pokémon Ranger and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series for Nintendo DS, and countless others. Pokémon also dominates the Super Smash Bros., with the latest game Brawl having six total playable Pokémon, and 30 others are available through the Pokéball item.

Recently released for Nintendo 3DS is a sequel to the spinoff Pokémon Rumble for WiiWare: Pokémon Rumble Blast. It's safe to say that such spinoffs will continue for as long as the main series does.​

zNWBi.png

IB91U.png

Since the Community forum is a mix of gaming and non-gaming discussion, I would say it's perfectly acceptable to discuss the anime in this thread, especially since the anime is a major part of the franchise.

The anime is currently airing its 14th season and at time of posting has aired over 700 total episodes, with many more to come. The anime also has 14 movies under its belt (15 if you count the two Black/White movies separately, or the upcoming Kyurem vs. The Sacred Swordsmen), with numerous shorts attached to them.

The anime follows Ash's (Satoshi) journey to become a Pokémon Master by entering several Pokémon competitions, earning the required badges, and hopefully defeating those who have also entered the competition. He has journeyed across several regions, not all of which are in the games, along with a changing set of companions. Currently, he is making his way through Unova (Isshu) with Cylan (Dent) and Iris.​

TofYL.png

PSdv5.png

There have been several Pokémon manga, but the longest-running and most popular is Pokémon Adventures (Pocket Monsters: Special.) It follows the games more closely than the anime, with the player characters in the games becoming actual characters, but it doesn't strictly follow the games' storylines. It is also a bit darker and more violent than both the games and anime.​

PMEGw.png

jdvLo.png

The Pokémon Trading Card Game debuted in 1998 and was initially published by Wizards of the Coast, but then in 2003 Pokémon USA and Nintendo themselves took over publication responsibilities. It remains one of the most widely-played card games of all-time, with over 50 full expansion sets having been produced since its release. Discussion of all the different aspects of the TCG are welcome here, with the exception of the new online version, which has its own thread.

In the Pokémon TCG, you play with a set amount of 60 cards per deck. Six random cards are designated as "prizes" for knocking out an opponent's Pokémon. You need to use skill to switch between active and benched Pokémon, use Trainer and Energy cards correctly, and evolve your Pokémon at the right time. It's actually one of the least-complex popular card games, which may be helped by the game's rolling set of allowable cards (older sets are phased out and made illegal eventually.) NeoGAF has a couple of players and this thread would be a great place to discuss getting started, hardcore strategies, and everything in between.​

B5uWF.png

C1e8k.png

Wouldn't be a community thread without a good ol' timeline chart!​

XqBhT.png

• SpaceEmotion for the actual font from Pokémon Black and White.
  • The Spriters Resource for the individual frames for the player characters at the start of this thread.
  • Thanks to absolutely no one for the animated versions of the player characters, I had to do that myself since I didn't find anyone else who did it. (Bulbapedia has versions but they're animated PNGs. Not even Gimp opens those correctly!) Erm, anyone on GAF or finding this place from the internet is free to use these without credit, all the real credit goes to Game Freak anyways.
  • Game Freak (and Nintendo, Creatures Inc., Genius Sorority, HAL Labs, ShoPro, Wizards of the Coast, et al.) for making such an awesome and inspiring cross-medium franchise!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fuck, this reminds me that I still need to sit down and beat white. Got my old team chilling on there too. Poor guys. Also this thread is my entire childhood :D I need to go read the pokemon manga now. *the real one*

Linkhero1

QisTopTier said:
Fuck, this reminds me that I still need to sit down and beat white. Got my old team chilling on there too. Poor guys. Also this thread is my entire childhood :D I need to go read the pokemon manga now. *the real one*
Same here. Forgot I even had the game haha

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Currently watching the animay where I left off, fucking animay is throwing my anime list by banning episodes. Now I won't know where to pick up if I get lost again. :mad:

Tunavi

Banned
I found this mini-review from 2000 interesting
No one's really going to care in ten years if become a pokemon master or not.

Pokemon Red is the greatest single thing from my childhood, still playing it today.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
Currently watching the animay where I left off, fucking animay is throwing my anime list by banning episodes. Now I won't know where to pick up if I get lost again. :mad:

Where are you at?

I just watched BW38, "Movie Time! Zorua in 'The Legend of the Pokémon Knight.'" I have to say, even though Best Wishes has been skimping on the battles budgets compared to Sinnoh, that the Team Rocket intros are pretty darn remarkable, they seem to outdo themselves every episode. That said, I really liked the episode itself, probably my favorite BW one. It was pretty funny in parts.

I'm actually sort of excited to have a place to talk about the anime, even though I don't think that highly of it. Discussing it with others will probably increase the entertainment value, I hope. :p Now where the hell is Black-Wind. >:|

Exterminieren said:
I've never read the manga. I'm a bad fan.

fBM0f.png

I haven't either... :(

Andrex said:
There have been several Pokémon manga, but the longest-running and most popular is Pokémon Adventures (Pocket Monsters: Special.) It follows the games more closely than the anime, with the player characters in the games becoming actual characters, but it doesn't strictly follow the games' storylines. It is also a bit darker and more violent than both the games and anime.

Once reBurst gets translated, Special is gonna look like Blue's Clues.

Holy wow, great OP.

More baby Pokémon please Game Freak. I need to crush my opponents with their blinding adorableness.

Gloom forever.
I6D6H.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cosmicblizzard said:

Is reBurst even that official? I know like nothing about it. XD

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gunloc said:
I need to crush my opponents with their blinding adorableness.

>>Baby Pokemon<<

Yeah, maybe when they redo the whole system to where EV grinding isn't needed and "tiers" aren't really there. It's why I can't take competitive battling seriously: It's just grinding for good IV (or hacking them to save time) and then EV training (or hacking that) to get the best stats. And even then most of the 'mons aren't able to stand against Blissey/Skarmory/et. al. fodder.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:
Where are you at?

I just watched BW38, "Movie Time! Zorua in 'The Legend of the Pokémon Knight.'" I have to say, even though Best Wishes has been skimping on the battles budgets compared to Sinnoh, that the Team Rocket intros are pretty darn remarkable, they seem to outdo themselves every episode. That said, I really liked the episode itself, probably my favorite BW one. It was pretty funny in parts.

I'm actually sort of excited to have a place to talk about the anime, even though I don't think that highly of it. Discussing it with others will probably increase the entertainment value, I hope. :p Now where the hell is Black-Wind. >:|
Just got around watching the Castelia Gym battle, though I accidentally watched the episode with Dent fishing out of order before that. I stopped watching the show in the Johto era, so I don't notice a lot of cheapness regarding fighting. On the contrary, I've been liking how dynamic the fights are, even for random encounters.

TheSeks

cosmicblizzard said:

9a92x0.gif
Wow, that sounds stupid and if that's the way the series is going and the way "N is a pokemon" is revealed... :/

Andrex said:
Is reBurst even that official? I know like nothing about it. XD

No less official than Special. It's also serialized in a magazine where the audience skews a bit older, so they can get away with more.

TheSeks said:
Yeah, maybe when they redo the whole system to where EV grinding isn't needed and "tiers" aren't really there. It's why I can't take competitive battling seriously: It's just grinding for good IV (or hacking them to save time) and then EV training (or hacking that) to get the best stats. And even then most of the 'mons aren't able to stand against Blissey/Skarmory/et. al. fodder.
Oh, I don't play competitively. Way too much info/stats to keep up with and too much of a time sink. If I got hooked, I'd probably never be able to stop grinding & building my team.

I just meant in the main campaign. My biggest disappointment about Black & White was the addition of no new baby Pokémon. (A gym leader that uses only babies would have been amazing too.)

TheSeks

Regulus Tera said:
Baby Pokémon are the worst idea Gen II introduced. I wanna go up in power, not down.

Not really. "Baby" Pokemon was the next logical conclusion for the series. "Why are they adults that evolve into other adults?" Now, Pichu is the kid, Pikachu is the teen, Raichu is the adult (or something like that, you get what I mean)

It's just in terms of competitive battles they can't hold a candle to non-baby/non-evolving powerhouses that have all the moves + stats.

I really wish they'd do away with the stat system or overhaul to where IV/EV fuckery isn't needed and some skill in terms of battle movesets was. Of course, this also doesn't help fix the "smogon" issue where everyone and anyone is using smogon's suggested builds to where there isn't a surprise moveset or pokemon like there is characters in a fighting game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cosmicblizzard said:
No less official than Special. It's also serialized in a magazine where the audience skews a bit older, so they can get away with more.

I can't believe Nintendo allowed something that hokey. :p Screams knock-off to me.

Gunloc said:
Oh, I don't play competitively. Way too much info/stats to keep up with and too much of a time sink. If I got hooked, I'd probably never be able to stop grinding & building my team.

I just meant in the main campaign. My biggest disappointment about Black & White was the addition of no new baby Pokémon. (A gym leader that uses only babies would have been amazing too.)

Well it's like why Alomomola didn't evolve from Luvdisc and why Bouffalant didn't evolve from Tauros, since B/W don't feature any pre-Gen 5 Pokemon in the main game. Can't really have baby Pokemon in that scenario either.

Maybe Gen 6, which will hopefully be like Gen 4 in terms of evolutions for older Pokemon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Axew is the worst character this show has had since, shit, forever? Fuck Axew, seriously.
TheSeks said:
Not really. "Baby" Pokemon was the next logical conclusion for the series. "Why are they adults that evolve into other adults?" Now, Pichu is the kid, Pikachu is the teen, Raichu is the adult (or something like that, you get what I mean)
My problem with babies is that it introduced ridiculous ways for pokeymen to appear. Oh so to have this baby your pokeymen have to have sex while under the influence of a certain drug. That's not how nature works, dammit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Watching Axew interact with other Pokeymen is like watching a baby trying to engage into conversation, except that that baby has a dead stare and you cannot ignore the fucking spear embedded into its cheeks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Regulus Tera said:
Axew is the worst character this show has had since, shit, forever? Fuck Axew, seriously.

What?! Axew is awesome. In fact his anime appearance sort of made him one of my favorite BW Pokemon.

Raonak

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

Might have to check this out.

Might be nostalgia, or me growing up. but watching the new anime makes me want to throw up. Sooo bad. The first series still rocks.

Andrex said:
Well it's like why Alomomola didn't evolve from Luvdisc and why Bouffalant evolve from Tauros, since B/W don't feature any pre-Gen 5 Pokemon in the main game. Can't really have baby Pokemon in that scenario either.

Maybe Gen 6, which will hopefully be like Gen 4 in terms of evolutions for older Pokemon.
Well, the could of done a Riolu/Lucario situation. Babies don't have to be introduced in later games. Some of the new base Pokémon (Vanillite, Litwick, etc.) were small enough and had the hyper cuteness factor that they could of made them babies.

And the Alomomola/Luvdisc situation was just silly. Here's two flat, heart themed fish monsters, but they totally aren't related. >_>

OMG Aero

The worst thing about Axew in the show is that dragon rage is made out to be one of the most powerful attacks ever.

TheSeks

Regulus Tera said:
My problem with babies is that it introduced ridiculous ways for pokeymen to appear. Oh so to have this baby your pokeymen have to have sex while under the influence of a certain drug. That's not how nature works, dammit.

What influence? I don't get what you mean.

to have sex while under the influence of a certain drug. That's not how nature works, dammit.

...Except it is. Isn't that how babby formed for humans now a days? Pokemon seems to be VERY REALISTIC with that. :p

TheSeks

Raonak said:
Might be nostalgia, or me growing up. but watching the new anime makes me want to throw up. Sooo bad. The first series still rocks.

It's more an advertisement of the week for kids and "new" Pokemon being shown to the kids.

That said, the little I saw of D/P-era anime with Ash in Sinnoh before Cartoon Network changed times and days around to screw with us adults wasn't that bad.

Edit: Whoops, didn't mean to double post. >_>

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dabookerman said:
I love Misty and wish she was real so I could marry her. There.

OK, that's your one token "I love Misty" post for this thread. Move along...

No mention of Pokemon Gold>Pokemon Silver in the OP is suspect at best....
Just kidding, great job Andrex! Looks great.
subscribed!

And yeah, Axew is awesome, you know who's better though?
612.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Monsters in my Pocket: West Bitches 26? 24? The one with the Emolga: Some great comedy in here. It didn't have much in action and it was a bit boring at times, but the inclusion of Belle always makes for cracking antics. She should be a regular instead of Iris, who has no personality whatsoever.
TheSeks said:
What influence? I don't get what you mean.

...Except it is. Isn't that how babby formed for humans now a days? Pokemon seems to be VERY REALISTIC with that. :p
I'm talking about the incenses and all that crap.
Dabookerman said:
I love Misty and wish she was real so I could marry her. There.
I was waiting for you to show up.

Hilda or whatever she's called > Misty.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The last one I played was Diamond. I got to the last part and beat 3 of the Elite then lost. I feel like I could have beat the game if it wasn't for the incredibly stupid world map abilities taking up actual battle move slots. The cave on the way to the last fights required like 62765324 abilities, so I had hardly any good moves left, and there was no way to switch from a "travel team" to a "battle team" so I just didn't have a means of kicking ass. I somehow lost my copy of the game before I ever went back and leveled up 30 times or whatever I would need to do, so I never beat it.

I still have a DS lite. Do any newer Pokemon games for it avoid this sort of problem?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dice said:
I still have a DS lite. Do any newer Pokemon games for it avoid this sort of problem?

Definitely Black and White do. Only one of those abilities is required to actually progress, and it's relatively early in the game. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

TheSeks said:
It's more an advertisement of the week for kids and "new" Pokemon being shown to the kids.

That said, the little I saw of D/P-era anime with Ash in Sinnoh before Cartoon Network changed times and days around to screw with us adults wasn't that bad.

Edit: Whoops, didn't mean to double post. >_>

Yeah, it isn't that bad. The older shows has it's charms, it definitely had somewhat more dynamic and interesting characters (Ash has hella mellowed out, which would make sense if he was growing up but apparently he isn't so I'll assume it's the anti-aging drugs he's taking) and they did have some neat ideas for each episode. However, the new anime beats it when it comes to battles and strategies (for the most part, there's still some WTF moments but those are lessened and the awesome is cranked up.)

We were talking about the Paul/Ash battles in the other thread, if you need convincing that the new anime can at least be as good as the old then watch that. If anyone has that link handy I'd be grateful.

The new anime is a little blander overall content-wise but by God is it gorgeous to look at. I remember making fun of old Pokemon's animation with my cousin, he would say "The openings always look good but the show is always so crappy." But man, Best Wishes (and Sinnoh towards the end), in HD... the colors man, the colors. I would actually say it's one of the best-looking animes of all time.

Regulus Tera said:
I was waiting for you to show up.

Hilda or whatever she's called < Misty.
I'm actually working on a personal project involving Hilda. Hopefully I can get her finished sometime soon. Finding time is bloomin hard though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:
The new anime is a little blander overall content-wise but by God is it gorgeous to look at. I remember making fun of old Pokemon's animation with my cousin, he would say "The openings always look good but the show is always so crappy." But man, Best Wishes (and Sinnoh towards the end), in HD... the colors man, the colors. I would actually say it's one of the best-looking animes of all time.
I would appreciate the animu's art more if 95% of the backgrounds weren't a route surrounded by forests. Also all the cities looking the fucking same.

For a series with as many locales as Pokeymen you would think they wouldn't skimp on background art.
Black-Wind said:
I wanna hate on this, but I can't.
Dabookerman said:
I'm actually working on a personal project involving Hilda. Hopefully I can get her finished sometime soon. Finding time is bloomin hard though.
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For some number of years, for whatever reason, my mom collected Pokemon cards.

I have never played the card game, but if I wanted to, I believe she has a box with a fuckton of cards in it.

Top Bottom