• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
How do you get TM's and rare Candies? I haven't gotten or seen one yet.

raids teir 1 and 2 have very low chance to drop tms and a small amount of candy but teir 3 and 4 have a pretty high chance to drop tms and a bunch more candy

Even crappy vaporeons would be better than alakazam and dragonite because of the 40% super effective bonus.

turns out i have 4 amazing wow golems 3 with mud slap / stone edge and one rock throw / earthquake not the best move set combos but ill power them up and use them to take down the fire raids and hope to get some tms to try and get their ideal movesets

Oh hell yeah finally found a raid chat for my town. Gonna be able to take down some level 4's now.

Tried an Arcanine solo yesterday and kept getting him to like <5%. Only have one fully powered Vape and next ones are 2500-2200, and my best Golem is 2200.
If I max what I have it'll be easy.
Will stick to Machamp for my level 3 solos. He's easy as.

Man now I want to solo arcanine and try If I could make it. But I think with 3000 and 2600 vapereon, 3000 and 2700 rhydon, 3000 gyarados and 3300 stone edge tyranitar I should make it.

I wonder if they'll ever implement different environments for wild Pokémon encounters in different biomes. Like, instead of the generic forest/field for every counter, have beaches and deserts and whatnot as well. Seems like an obvious feature, and a relatively simple one at that.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Man now I want to solo arcanine and try If I could make it. But I think with 3000 and 2600 vapereon, 3000 and 2700 rhydon, 3000 gyarados and 3300 stone edge tyranitar I should make it.

the rhydons should do damage but i dont think they are fast enough to take it down in time

GulAtiCa

Damn......500+ Pokeballs/Great Balls. They're so ridiculously common I never carry more than 50 Great Balls......and just delete all regular Pokeballs. Works wonders for freeing up bag space.
Haha. I have so many I finally activated the nearby Pokémon on my Go+ to help trim the numbers. Lol

How do you get TM's and rare Candies? I haven't gotten or seen one yet.
Have you not done any raids yet? They come from them. Most T3 and T4 raids. I've done nearly 50 so far. Mostly T4

raids teir 1 and 2 have very low chance to drop tms and a small amount of candy but teir 3 and 4 have a pretty high chance to drop tms and a bunch more candy

turns out i have 4 amazing wow golems 3 with mud slap / stone edge and one rock throw / earthquake not the best move set combos but ill power them up and use them to take down the fire raids and hope to get some tms to try and get their ideal movesets

Haha. I have so many I finally activated the nearby Pokémon on my Go+ to help trim the numbers. Lol

Have you not done any raids yet? They come from them. Most T3 and T4 raids. I've done nearly 50 so far. Mostly T4

So T3 and T4 raids are the ones with Pokémon that has insane CP? Like 20,000 plus?

I've only done one raid and it was against a 4,000ish CP Totodile mid evolution. (Can't remember the name as I type this) I beat it with my daughter.

I tried doing a raid against a 18,000ish Lapras but me and my daughter kept getting creamed by it. I live out in the middle of no where so it's hard randomly running into people who do raids.

So T3 and T4 raids are the ones with Pokémon that has insane CP? Like 20,000 plus?

I've only done one raid and it was against a 4,000ish CP Totodile mid evolution. (Can't remember the name as I type this) I beat it with my daughter.

I tried doing a raid against a 18,000ish Lapras but me and my daughter kept getting creamed by it. I live out in the middle of no where so it's hard randomly running into people who do raids.
You can also get TMs and especially rare candy from low tier raids. I suggest you and your daughter should stick to lvl 1 and 2 raids (easy to recognize by the pink egg color)
You should be able to do them alone without other people. I'd recommend muk and exeggutor since they're the most valuable out of the lvl 2 raids.

In other words: finally got girafarig so my Pokedex is at 231. Only two more to go.from now on it's just pure luck -_-

I officially fucking hate raids.

Just came out of my house and saw there was a Tytanitar raid nearby and I was heading that way anyway and to my shock I saw a group of 5 guys there. First time I'd ever seen anyone else at a raid. So I use my pass and join the raid but I'm just stuck on the joining screen by myself. Why can't you join a raid that's already taking place? It's fucking dumb.
Chances of me turning up to a raid within two minutes of a bunch of other people without coordinating it on purpose are basically fucking zero. It's a bullshit system for people who don't have friends who play and don't feel comfortable arranging to meet up with strangers.

I mean what are young kids supposed to do?
If I had a kid playing I certainly wouldn't want to encourage them to meet up with strangers for raids.

GulAtiCa

They need a better system at telling who is in lobby.

I'm in s big discord group and Facebook chat group for my local area. Usually can get a nice group going.

Actually, I've done TTar raids with middle schoolers. I felt odd. At least I wasn't adult playing. Lol.

Hycran

Banned
I officially fucking hate raids.

Just came out of my house and saw there was a Tytanitar raid nearby and I was heading that way anyway and to my shock I saw a group of 5 guys there. First time I'd ever seen anyone else at a raid. So I use my pass and join the raid but I'm just stuck on the joining screen by myself. Why can't you join a raid that's already taking place? It's fucking dumb.

I've joined raids in progress before. I did one yesterday in fact.

I'd say the bigger problem (which has already been identified) is that you have to blow a raid pass just to see who is ready to raid. It would be nice if you could see the raid and have a buy in period where 20 seconds before the raid starts you can chip in your raid pass.

Yeah that would certainly help. I'm so bitter about blowing my pass on a raid I couldn't join.
I had no idea what was going on, it just doesn't make sense when you can clearly see a group of people partaking in the raid and you can't join in, it's really disheartening.

Firemind

Yeah that would certainly help. I'm so bitter about blowing my pass on a raid I couldn't join.
I had no idea what was going on, it just doesn't make sense when you can clearly see a group of people partaking in the raid and you can't join in, it's really disheartening.
I'm pretty sure you can join a raid, quit in the lobby before the battle starts and it will refund the raid pass.

You should ask them first if you can join. Sometimes people leave battle and start again so that you can join.
If I see people at a raid spot with their phones out I always ask them.

gutshot

Did you ask them if they had already started? Once the raid battle has started you can't join in. But if they are in the lobby, you can join them. They can all quit out of the lobby and start again with you if the timer is getting low. Or if they are in the battle, they could even throw it to time out and start again with you.

Basically, you just need to talk to the group and usually people are friendly enough to want to help you out.

I'm pretty sure you can join a raid, quit in the lobby before the battle starts and it will refund the raid pass.

Nah. Once you use a pass it's gone. You can quit and rebattle that particular raid for as long as it is active but you don't get the pass back.

Firemind

Nah. Once you use a pass it's gone. You can quit and rebattle that particular raid for as long as it is active but you don't get the pass back.
Yes you do, if the timer doesn't reach zero. When you quit the lobby and you want to rejoin, it will ask you to use a raid pass again.

Edit: wait maybe it's when you quit before you enter the lobby using the private group function. I seriously remember a few times it asked me to use a pass twice on the same raid.

Well it was my first time attempting a group raid and I didn't have a clue what was going on. There isn't enough in-game info on raids.

I quit in and out of the lobby a few times to see if it would join but no luck.
At one point two other guys joined the lobby but quit out before the raid started.

I didn't even start the actual raid. I knew there was no point attempting it by myself so I quit out, and I definitely didn't get my pass back.

I didn't talk to the group. I don't feel comfortable talking to groups of strangers especially if I'm by myself.
I find it awkward and embarrassing.
I don't want the game to force social interaction upon me, and I feel like solo players are at an even bigger disadvantage now which is making me lose interest in playing the game.

gutshot

Yeah, if you are not going to talk to people you definitely won't be able to do T4 raids consistently. You could still focus on soloing T1 and T2 raids and building up a squad to solo the T3s.

I think it is worth getting comfortable with engaging with others though. Only because you definitely are going to want to raid for Legendaries and that is going to require some group coordination.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, if your not comfortable going out and talking to strangers, you won't be able to do much T4 raiding. How do you ever expect to do the T5 Legendary Raids?

Best to find the local discord group / Facebook group. And join with them. This is slightly better, since you can kinda put names to people, to people you will see around more often. They will be expecting you and be welcoming.

I'm pretty much an introvert. But I got over it and now others on the Discord as well as a local FB group know me pretty decently now.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Yeah Raids are more social and I like them for it but I do agree they need to showcase the lobby and if the raid is already in progress before you use your pass

Yeah, if your not comfortable going out and talking to strangers, you won't be able to do much T4 raiding. How do you ever expect to do the T5 Legendary Raids?

Best to find the local discord group / Facebook group. And join with them. This is slightly better, since you can kinda put names to people, to people you will see around more often. They will be expecting you and be welcoming.

I'm pretty much an introvert. But I got over it and now others on the Discord as well as a local FB group know me pretty decently now.

Well, I was hoping that I'd be able to head over to a 4/5 star raid and if there was a group of people there clearly partaking (as there was today) I could just use my pass and join the fight. No talking necessary. But that stupid two minute joining window makes this almost impossible.
I hate that two min window because it also means when I'm doing a solo raid I have to stand there doing nothing for two mins.

And why are private raids an option? So you can purposely exclude people? That's not very sociable.

(I know it sounds like it but I'm not actually an introvert, like most Londoners I'm just not comfortable interacting with strangers unless I'm drunk, it's just how we are &#128530;)

At least my gym badge collecting is going well. Up to 140 now.

Rahvar

Well, I was hoping that I'd be able to head over to a 4/5 star raid and if there was a group of people there clearly partaking (as there was today) I could just use my pass and join the fight. No talking necessary. But that stupid two minute joining window makes this almost impossible.
I hate that two min window because it also means when I'm doing a solo raid I have to stand there doing nothing for two mins.

And why are private raids an option? So you can purposely exclude people? That's not very sociable.

(I know it sounds like it but I'm not actually an introvert, like most Londoners I'm just not comfortable interacting with strangers unless I'm drunk, it's just how we are &#128530;)

At least my gym badge collecting is going well. Up to 140 now.

The 2 minute thing is there exactly so that people have a chance to join a group. Private groups are there sowhen there are more than 20 people you can form separate groups to make sure they are evenly numbered and balanced, or if you want your own group for you and your friends.

Got my second Tyranitar today, while my girlfriend had her third runaway in a row (out of three total). Felt pretty bad about that one. And it was a shitty one too, lol.

Firemind

We use private groups to exclude spoofers. Several times we encountered spoofers waiting in the lobby for Tyranitar raids. Also, you get a +3 ball bonus if your team has the most people in the raid.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
wonder why they didnt make an event item for people that couldnt attend poke fest something like $10-20 buck thing that as long as you have it in your invantory it flags your account and makes it so when you spin a stop you get those special 2k eggs and maybe a permenant incense aura around you during the event duration

Pineapple

So I just got a 100% perfect Eevee. Any advice on what I should evolve it into?

I have a 2200 Vaporeon that's decent, along with a good 1844 Jolteon. My Flareon is terrible though.

robochimp

I have a 2200 Vaporeon that's decent, along with a good 1844 Jolteon. My Flareon is terrible though.

Well if the poster above you is anything to go by you're bound to get a flareon.

Beyond the naming trick you can guarantee the evolution of an Espeon.

Go with Espeon. It's usefull, has high CPs and you can get it guaranteed.
Next time I will do an Espeon, too. Not gonna let you win next time Flareon!

The 2 minute thing is there exactly so that people have a chance to join a group. Private groups are there sowhen there are more than 20 people you can form separate groups to make sure they are evenly numbered and balanced, or if you want your own group for you and your friends.

Yeah, I understand why they have the 2 min thing, just wish there was another way of going about it.

If a raid is available for 60 minutes and a bunch of people head to it without co-ordinating the chances of everyone attempting to join the raid within the same two minutes are basically zero.

Do Niantic expect people to turn up at a raid the second it starts, and wait for up to an hour to see if some other people turn up, and if they do, go around speaking to them all and making sure you all join at precisely the same time? C'mon, nobody's gonna do that.
I know there's Discord and FB groups but not everyone wants to go that route, or even knows about that stuff. Especially younger players.

Yeah, I understand why they have the 2 min thing, just wish there was another way of going about it.

If a raid is available for 60 minutes and a bunch of people head to it without co-ordinating the chances of everyone attempting to join the raid within the same two minutes are basically zero.

Do Niantic expect people to turn up at a raid the second it starts, and wait for up to an hour to see if some other people turn up, and if they do, go around speaking to them all and making sure you all join at precisely the same time? C'mon, nobody's gonna do that.
I know there's Discord and FB groups but not everyone wants to go that route, or even knows about that stuff. Especially younger players.

That actually works pretty good. I know it's not perfect but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Meier

I am Instinct and it is very rare to have my Pokémon last in a gym. If I have a guy who has been in one for over a day now, will he eventually come back with 50 coins regardless of the time he's been there, or is it a max of 50 coins per day? So if he's in there for two days before dying, would I get back 100? And is it per gym or is it a max of 50 coins per account per day?

So yesterday I took my daughter out and we decided to take on Gyms for whatever reason.

Louisiana is filled with Valor and Mystic so it wasn't hard finding a target. I like this new Gym system alot. I'm level 24 and she's level 21 so before we couldn't do anything against the mass armies of Dragonite and Blissey that were left at gyms. I love the heart system. If a opposing team puts in a 3,000 plus CP Blissey we just wait a couple days and go in for the kill. It's a pretty good balance.

I also faced my first Blissey yesterday and fuck that Pokémon. I hate it so much that I want one for myself. That Blissey CP was at 674 and it was going toe to toe with my 2300ish Gyarados and my daughters 1800ish Heracross that had fighting moves. After we beat it I looked at my daughter and said "what the fuck was that thing on?" She laughed and said "I can't believe our strongest Pokémon almost fainted against a weak Blissey."

So now I have 3 Pokémon assigned to 3 different gyms and my daughter has 3 Pokémon assign to 3 different gyms. How does the coin thing work? Once the Pokémon hits the 24 hour mark do I get a deposit of 50 coins from each Pokémon? I honestly didn't expect our Pokémon to last this long at any gym but it's happening.

GulAtiCa

My fiancee is now lv 11. It's amazing how quickly she is leveling up compared to how I originally leveled up. Prob took me a couple of weeks to hit lv 10. Can't wait for her to hit lv 20, by then she will start to have a pretty decent range of Pokemon to use to help on Raids.

Before dinner yesterday, she and I did a Magikarp raid. To make things more fair / fun, I choose only pidgeys. I mainly let her do the attacking and I helped every few seconds to push things along. Help to get her more used to the battle system.

The Raids are really going to help her get some decent Pokemon soon. Going to try to do a few T1/T2 raids.

I think I forgot to mention this last time, but funny thing: She reached lv 7, choose a team, caught a Pidgetto, did a T4 Snorlax raid all before ever getting her 1st Pidgey. lol

So yesterday I took my daughter out and we decided to take on Gyms for whatever reason.

Louisiana is filled with Valor and Mystic so it wasn't hard finding a target. I like this new Gym system alot. I'm level 24 and she's level 21 so before we couldn't do anything against the mass armies of Dragonite and Blissey that were left at gyms. I love the heart system. If a opposing team puts in a 3,000 plus CP Blissey we just wait a couple days and go in for the kill. It's a pretty good balance.

I also faced my first Blissey yesterday and fuck that Pokémon. I hate it so much that I want one for myself. That Blissey CP was at 674 and it was going toe to toe with my 2300ish Gyarados and my daughters 1800ish Heracross that had fighting moves. After we beat it I looked at my daughter and said "what the fuck was that thing on?" She laughed and said "I can't believe our strongest Pokémon almost fainted against a weak Blissey."

So now I have 3 Pokémon assigned to 3 different gyms and my daughter has 3 Pokémon assign to 3 different gyms. How does the coin thing work? Once the Pokémon hits the 24 hour mark do I get a deposit of 50 coins from each Pokémon? I honestly didn't expect our Pokémon to last this long at any gym but it's happening.

Now try to fight a >3000CP blissey :D
You get the coins once the Pokemon gets kicked out by another player. The amount of coins depends on how long it was in a gym. However you can only get 50 coins a day. So if one Pokemon brings back 50 coins and the other two also come back the same day you have bad luck since they won't bring you any coins then.

Very happy to see low level players have some fun, too. Most important aspect of this update :)

I am Instinct and it is very rare to have my Pokémon last in a gym. If I have a guy who has been in one for over a day now, will he eventually come back with 50 coins regardless of the time he's been there, or is it a max of 50 coins per day? So if he's in there for two days before dying, would I get back 100? And is it per gym or is it a max of 50 coins per account per day?

50 coins per account per day. Even if a Pokemon is in a gym for weeks it will only get you 50 coins (if you didn't already get some for that day)

That actually works pretty good. I know it's not perfect but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Really? I envy how much spare time you must have then.
I'm not wasting an hour a day waiting for people to (maybe) turn up to a raid.
Pokemon Go is something I like to play on the go, a game I can fit into my daily routine while walking between places etc. I begrudge even having to wait 2 mins for a raid to start.

Meier

50 coins per account per day. Even if a Pokemon is in a gym for weeks it will only get you 50 coins (if you didn't already get some for that day)
Thanks. Just to clarify, even if he's been there for weeks, when knocked out it will still be 50? He can't earn me 50 per day himself?

Thanks. Just to clarify, even if he's been there for weeks, when knocked out it will still be 50? He can't earn me 50 per day himself?
That's correct.
You could have a Pokémon hold a gym down for a year and you won't get anything until it's knocked out and then you'll still only get the 50 coins.
If you have two Pokémon guarding gyms for a year and they both come back the same day, you will still only get 50 coins since that is the daily cap.

Meier

That's correct.
You could have a Pokémon hold a gym down for a year and you won't get anything until it's knocked out and then you'll still only get the 50 coins.
If you have two Pokémon guarding gyms for a year and they both come back the same day, you will still only get 50 coins since that is the daily cap.

Okay, thanks! I get the conceptual idea behind it but that's kind of a shame. Either way, I'm not too worried since I can barely hold a gym down for any time at all usually.

Just hatched a Pichu but he didn't have a hat! Not sure if this was an older egg from outside the window or if the promotion is over.. it was my first Pichu though so I'm happy about that.

Okay, thanks! I get the conceptual idea behind it but that's kind of a shame. Either way, I'm not too worried since I can barely hold a gym down for any time at all usually.

Just hatched a Pichu but he didn't have a hat! Not sure if this was an older egg from outside the window or if the promotion is over.. it was my first Pichu though so I'm happy about that.
I hatched a pichu with hat 5min ago. Your egg was probably old

robochimp

down to only needing a upgrade for porygon 2 and a unown to complete my dex hope they do a psychic event soon

I'm down to unown after hatching a porygon for the first time in a year of playing. It hatched with 30 candy and I had 20 rare candy and decided I wasn't waiting another year for porygon 2.

Top Bottom