• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Can anybody confirm if this works with Tablets? Pokemon Go uses GPS, so does tablets work with this as they cant connect to the internet outside your house

llexan

Can anybody confirm if this works with Tablets? Pokemon Go uses GPS, so does tablets work with this as they cant connect to the internet outside your house

Yup! So long as your tablet has a back-facing camera, GPS and can use WiFi or tether to your phone for WiFi you should be good. But it's not optimized for tablets so it might look a little wonky on a bigger screen.

Iceman829

WoW, your colleges students are... taking seriously that game o_O

Everyone else I encountered up to that point just smiled or had their head glued to their phone walking around ignoring everyone. I guess some people enjoy ruining other peoples fun.

The GPS tracking in my office is completely bonkers right now. It has my character running across the road and all over and it's actually picking up some distance on all the trackers. Good thing I brought my spare charger today. I've already picked up another 2kms on this 10k egg.

Yup! So long as your tablet has a back-facing camera, GPS and can use WiFi or tether to your phone for WiFi you should be good. But it's not optimized for tablets so it might look a little wonky on a bigger screen.

So you would have to connect your tablet to your phone if you wanted to go out with a tablet to get GPS?

Pau

The GPS tracking in my office is completely bonkers right now. It has my character running across the road and all over and it's actually picking up some distance on all the trackers. Good thing I brought my spare charger today. I've already picked up another 2kms on this 10k egg.
This is how it is in my dorm. Apparently I walked 2 km last night while in bed.

Arrrammis

Huh, so apparently evolved form of a pokemon don't give more candies. I caught a wild Pidgeotto (I have been drowning in pidgeys) and gave transferred him, got one candy in return. I thought that an evolved pokemon would give more, but I guess that's not the case.

NoKisum

Got a problem from my girlfriend when she tried to play. When she started the game, she was able to make her character and see the starters, but were unable to catch them because her phone cut off in the process. Later on, while wrestling with the network, she was able to start the game up again, and she got to name her character, but missed out on the starter. Is there anyway to get a second chance to catch the starter? Is it possible to delete her account and start over so she gets a second chance there? Or is she SOL?

Astral

Is it better to level up a Pokemon right away or is it best to raise its CP a bit? Will it learn new moves either way?

Seth

Found this email address to open a ticket with the pokmon.com people: techhelp@pokemon.com

It opens a ticket and sends an auto response to you with some suggestions, but you need to reply back and just say "none of these resolutions work" to reject the auto response.
Id encourage people to send an email, be polite and ask for an ETA on the resolution. I don't know what else to do to get info at this point besides sending a bunch of support tickets to them.

edit: This is mainly just for PTC account people.

Chaos17

That's great XD
I also liked these comment they posted in it.

I love this game, I walked all throughout downtown today with some friends and talked to many strangers that were playing the game, and also saw some other people I knew. My friends and I were attacking a gym and 2 guys came up to us and asked "Are you the gym leaders?" Lmfao.

My brother and I did this last night. We took over all the gyms near our place and filled it with all Pokemon with CP around 350-400 (which I'm sure half the people can't contest at the moment). There was a few yellow and blue gyms which we went, completely destroyed them in 2 sec, took over. This town belongs to the reds! The entire time a cop car was following us (at this point it was 2 am) and when the cop stopped us at a parking lot, we found out he was playing Pokemon Go too and was in team blue that we just took down. He was pretty salty but I told him to use incense and lure module at a stop to get better luck and get stronger/rarer Pokemon

Can pokemon appear even if there is no grass nearby? If I've got a charger and nothing better to do is it worth it to just leave the game on at my desk?

centracore

Caught this on my walk back from getting coffee:

zaBn1kx.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Played it for a while :) In the end, I feel like it's just super dumbed down Ingress, but in a good way I guess. As an actual game, I like Ingress a lot more, but this is not too shabby at all, if Niantic improves on it. I really hope a ton of work goes into battery life and app loading in general. And having a phone without Gyroscope, I can't use either AR (understandable) nor energy saving mode (ridiculous), so yeah :)

Red

Just lost connection after using an incense. Why does it seem like the servers drop out whenever something significant occurs? Is this happening for everyone? Maybe some communication issue that doesn't affect regular Pokémon encounters as much?

Jesus, it costs 400 candy to evolve Magikarp.
Time to spend an afternoon fishing.

Just lost connection after using an incense. Why does it seem like the servers drop out whenever something significant occurs? Is this happening for everyone? Maybe some communication issue that doesn't affect regular Pokémon encounters as much?
I think it's half confirmation bias and half your specific game maybe having issues because of those actions.

gardfish

Really dumb question, but I just fought (and won, yeah!) my first gym battle, but I couldn't figure out how to use my Pokemon's second moves.

Westraid

Anyone who's been playing for a while, is there ever going to be more diverse set or is all I'll ever get 99% of the time pidgey/spearow/rattata? Because this is growing old really fast.

RotBot

If you're stuck in a single location all day with pokestops nearby, try turning off your GPS. Cell tower triangulation will warp you around, hopefully in range of a stop. It's cycling me between two stops near my office. I also slowly accumulate distance on the egg incubators.

Anyone who's been playing for a while, is there ever going to be more diverse set or is all I'll ever get 99% of the time pidgey/spearow/caterpie? Because this is growing old really fast.
From my day 1 Pidgey/Drowzee areas I've also been getting Aerodactyls, Exeggcutes, and Ghastlys at night so I don't know.

centracore

Does anyone know how location mapping works for water Pokemon? I walked around the lake in the middle of our city (about a 4km walk) and didn't find any water Pokemon, just the same stuff I find everywhere else. Do I need to rent a canoe so I can physically be in the middle of the lake?

How do you guys know people are playong the game near you? I mean ive seen some people nearby as i walk around with phones out but they coulda easily be doing something else. Are you all just randomly tlking to strangers asking they are playong pkmnGo?

Just walked around my grinding lake loop. Added a few new pkmn. Couldnt discover a jynx or tauros that were in the area...

Disappointed with how the gym battles are, esp when playing your own to train... You only can use 1 pkmn to battle the entire gym, and all you get is a little exp for your trainer and a small amount of prestige.... Id rather just keep catching mons and going to pokestops to get exp and dust. Much better use of time. Really happy to see Blues have a good hold over the 5 gyms near me. Yesterday was a shitshow with between the tree factions and the gyms chaning hands constantly.

Also im getting the feeling that the same pkmn are on a schedule because ive only seen 2 dratini, and both were on separate days and at the same time and location

PMS341

Anyone who's been playing for a while, is there ever going to be more diverse set or is all I'll ever get 99% of the time pidgey/spearow/rattata? Because this is growing old really fast.

I imagine this has to do with player level, but I'm not certain. I still see Pidgey/Weedle/etc all the time and I'm level 9.

Does anyone know how location mapping works for water Pokemon? I walked around the lake in the middle of our city (about a 4km walk) and didn't find any water Pokemon, just the same stuff I find everywhere else. Do I need to rent a canoe so I can physically be in the middle of the lake?
I think it's random. I've been finding Krabby and Shellder all over, albeit no fish yet.

I just reclaimed my gym and took another on my way to work. I walked over to the two gyms, the kids lurking around the second (my guess 13-15) were surprised to see a 27 year old in a suit strutting over and taking the gym.

I think so. There's a 1 mile loop in my neighborhood. Yesterday I was getting Eevees, Ratattas, Pidgeys and Weedles. Today I was getting some of those but also Staryu, Tauros, Psyduck, Venomoth.

Really dumb question, but I just fought (and won, yeah!) my first gym battle, but I couldn't figure out how to use my Pokemon's second moves.
Under your health bar there should be small blue boxes, you build these up with light attacks and once you have one filled up you hold on the screen and your Pokemon will do their stronger, charged attack.

Kyzer

Banned
No, it's not. It actually makes zero difference when you power up since CP min/max is predetermined when you catch the Pokemon and it's dependant on your Trainer level.

If you max out a pidgey does it end up closer to a maxed out pidgeot? Because for example my pidgeot around 700cp costs 2 candies and 1300+ stardust to power up

Chaos17

I just reclaimed my gym and took another on my way to work. I walked over to the two gyms, the kids lurking around the second (my guess 13-15) were surprised to see a 27 year old in a suit strutting over and taking the gym.

Haha, kids these days don't think adults play games ^^

That's great XD
I also liked these comment they posted in it.

that comment about the police reminded me of when iw as out having some drinks (in the street outside the house with a friend) and a police officer asked us to stand up, routine check, and he found my pokemon card sin my wallet (yes, I have 2 panchams and 1 totodile in my wallet) and he went all crazy talk about pokemon, it was really cool :D

Quonny

It's really, really funny that you can tell who's playing the game. They'll pull out their phone and "aim" it. Looks awkward as hell and makes me laugh every time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

They probably instantly deleted the stupid app for it was officially deemed uncool on that day. I mean, old people are playing it.

vypek

If you're stuck in a single location all day with pokestops nearby, try turning off your GPS. Cell tower triangulation will warp you around, hopefully in range of a stop. It's cycling me between two stops near my office. I also slowly accumulate distance on the egg incubators.

Gonna try this out now and see if it works

Chaos17

that comment about the police reminded me of when iw as out having some drinks (in the street outside the house with a friend) and a police officer asked us to stand up, routine check, and he found my pokemon card sin my wallet (yes, I have 2 panchams and 1 totodile in my wallet) and he went all crazy talk about pokemon, it was really cool :D

Aww, that's so cool, I never met irl stranger who liked the same thing as me, you were lucky :D

Edit: I found another cool story in the thread on reddit. I had a good laugh

This morning I was up late so I figured I'd make a round of my town to claim some gyms the server wouldn't let me previously and to explore a bit. I found a gym that was quite a hike from my house, requiring an awkward route to arrive by the waterfront in order to make the first claim on an isolated gym. It is located on an artificial spit of land that is bordered by a river and a man-made canal.

As I approached the gym, I was confronted by a family of Canadian geese. For those unaware, they are fearsome creatures who hiss like snakes, fly at you when they perceive your threat to be great, and have serrated beaks/teeth. After circumnavigating the family and arriving at the gym, I chose to continue in the direction I was going. Unfortunately, in front of me there was an entire gaggle of geese, all with goslings in tow, standing in a line perpendicular to my path across the narrow stretch of land.

I turned back, deciding that two adult geese would be easier to handle than twenty. But, these geese have had enough of my trespassing on their territory. They hissed and slithered their necks, advancing on me and barring passage. I managed to snap a few photos of both the swarm behind me and the two stalwart defenders in front, before making the fateful sprint down and up a rocky embankment.

That was the moment that I realized: Pokemon Go is serious business.

ARA8zlf.jpg

EDIT 2: Someone has taken over that gym. I must go and defend it. Pray for my safe return, fam.

MiTYH

Finally hit level 5 after caving and starting a google account. Joined team yellow because YEAH yellow, but wow no one around me is that team. Probably should have checked first.

Closest gym is has three pokemon, 255 Pidgeot, 262 Fearow, 289 Raticate. Don't think I'll be taking it down anytime soon.

Although, I need to go on more walks!

So there's gotta be another way to get candy outside of catching the same Pokemon over and over right? How am I supposed to evolve this starter!?

Top Bottom