• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Theres nothing nearby work that i can job about on on lunch and nothing atall by my house
:(
I do own all the gyms from my cycle route to work though haha

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Steps to fix shit

1) They need to take the servers all the way down.

2) Spin up more server instances

3) Create a login queue

4) Give hourly status updates on Twitter/FB

Going to find a cheapo phone that can run it. Looking at HTC623s or zte grand x2 atm as they are on sale near my area.

Wouldnt you need to add service like ATT/Verizon if you got a phone? Or can they just act as a device for apps?

Also make sure whatever you get has Android 4.3 OS or above as Pokemon Go doesnt seem to support any version lower.

Does the game actually still do stuff while you aren't in the app and the screen is off? I feel like it's not doing anything when I walk but that could just be because the servers are a bit fucked.

-KRS-

Does the game actually still do stuff while you aren't in the app and the screen is off? I feel like it's not doing anything when I walk but that could just be because the servers are a bit fucked.

Nope, you need the app running and active at all times!

Kaname

Of course servers go down when I have to go to the airport. Farewell dreams of catching loads of pokèmon that I can't find at home since I live in the middle of nowhere :(

Mik2121

What am I supposed to do this weekend? :(
Same here. I kept reading the comments about this releasing on the 11th, and while sure, it's a nice gesture, having to wait until Monday is killing me! :p

Thankfully we only have 2 days and a half to go...

hirokazu

You need to have the app open and screen on. If you turn on Battery Saver mode, the game will have a raise to wake function where it fades the screen to black if the phone isn't raised. Will probably help a bit on OLED displays.

eyesradar

Wouldnt you need to add service like ATT/Verizon if you got a phone? Or can they just act as a device for apps?

Also make sure whatever you get has Android 4.3 OS or above as Pokemon Go doesnt seem to support any version lower.

I do have a data plan with a carrier. Using an iOS device atm. I assume I can find cheap unlock code on Chinese websites?

Not understanding how to attack. Do I just flick the ball? Seems janky

From the OP:

In battling, you can either:
Do a ‘Fast Attack’ – tap your Pokemon to perform this move. This charges your ‘special meter’.
Dodge attacks – swipe left or right on the screen when your opponent strikes to avoid taking damage
Do a ‘Special Attack’ – once that special meter is charged, press and hold on your Pokémon to perform the move. This will do considerably more damage to the opponent!

blamite

Steps to fix shit

1) They need to take the servers all the way down.

2) Spin up more server instances

3) Create a login queue

4) Give hourly status updates on Twitter/FB

Seriously, I can't believe that neither the @Pokemon or @PokemonGoApp accounts have been completely silent about the TPC login issues. It's ridiculous.

Jarsonot

Used an incense and game crashed as I was catching a weedle. Got back in about 20 minutes later and incense only had about 5 minutes left on it.

IT SHOULD BE IN-GAME TIME!

Haven't been able to get back in. =(

hirokazu

There's a massive Pokémon Go walk event scheduled for 10am Sunday in Sydney. Something like 4,000 people are signed up and 12,000 put themselves down as interested. But going by the trend of the past two days, servers might be dead at the scheduled starting time, LOL.

Permanently A

Got back in for a second, got another sandshrew in a pokeball, and now it's frozen on the screen.

I was able to catch a poliwag in the same way. Dunno if I just got lucky or not, I turned off the gps and wifi and waited to see the internet connection symbol and then restarted the game

Permanently A

I have to say, its getting kind of crazy how big this game is getting. Like can you imagine if this was a gacha game instead? Nintendo would probably be suffocating under all that money.

MajorMane

Not understanding how to attack. Do I just flick the ball? Seems janky

From the OP:

If you're talking about capturing wild Pokemon, yes, throw the poke ball at it. You want to throw and hit it when the green/yellow ring is small. That results in higher capture chances. There's also the ability to do a curveball (spin the pokeball with your finger before throwing and then it'll have a curved trajectory) and bonuses for hitting the pokemon more directly.

Mik2121

I have to say, its getting kind of crazy how big this game is getting. Like can you imagine if this was a gacha game instead? Nintendo would probably be suffocating under all that money.
I have been quite surprised by all the situations people keep talking about, where they meet multiple people during short spans of time, playing the game near them. Didn't expect something like that would happen. Closest I've seen is seeing 2 guys playing Ingress when taking the elevator, but then again they two where quite dorky programmers at the same game company I work for.

justjim89

Can I leave the app on in the background, or do I have to have it active and the screen on the entire time? Because an hour walk absolutely killed my battery.

God, I was about to go explore with my little brother, but those damn Servers keep going down.

Just what we're they expecting?

yeah i have no clue how after 20 years of Pokemon being one of the biggest franchises in history and combining that with a free mobile app wouldn't cause huge server loads.

i'm not buying the excuse they didn't see it coming. i will, however, understand if they say something like "we needed to ensure we used minimal server capacity to see exactly how much the load would be so we can be cheap af and only get the bare minimum"

"but IAP works, don't work"

Seth

I hate to be that guy that says "if i can't play then no one should be able to" but really they need to shut the whole thing down until they figure out the issues. I only say this due to the competitive nature of this game, controlling gyms and what not. People wanting to use PTC accounts are going to be so far behind. If I can't catch up fairly quickly when this starts working i likely just delete it and not play.

I realize google hasn't been working perfectly either, but PTC has now had a complete 24+ hour outage.

Arrrammis

Can I leave the app on in the background, or do I have to have it active and the screen on the entire time? Because an hour walk absolutely killed my battery.

You need to have the app open and your phone unlocked for it to run. The battery saver mode helps (turn your phone upside-down to dim the screen), but yeah, it still drains battery super fast.

Top Bottom