• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Iceman829

This game has made me decide it's time to buy a portable charger to keep my phone charged when I'm not at home or at work. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on these things?

Quick edit. Looks like the gym I was going to takeover at the cemetery down the road is already home to my fellow Team Instinct. I think I'll go pay them a visit and power up and drop a pokemon off if there is a spot

Bladelaw

So we had a power outage at work and no less than 10 people busted their phones out and starting hunting Pokémon in the lunch room. This game is huge. I'm already planning a walk along my Ingress route once I get home. I know of plenty of portal locations so I'm hoping at least one of them is a gym. I'd like to defend my home turf.

Has anyone had any value from IAP stuff? Anything really worth it? A friend had suggested eggs for quick leveling up since most Pokémon would also give you the "New Dex" bonus.

Jims

Haha, amazing. They decided to use a statue in my office building that is located literally one floor below me. I can get free stuff just sitting at my desk. I pass that statue all the time, kinda funny they picked that random piece of art of everything in the entire building. I thought it was kinda weird that Google or whoever knew that piece of art was inside the building, though?

It's been hilarious watching people casually walk over to the statue area with their smartphones. Every time I walk from my desk to the balcony, I see people down there. They also put a Pokemon Gym in my office building (although farther away from me), so I'm sure that'll be a source of workplace rivalry.

GulAtiCa

The Post Office near my work already has 2 people at it. lol.

I'm confused on one thing though. When I tried to do battle, my pokemon was pre-chosen. Am I not able to choose who I use? Maybe I missed a step.

JoeM86

Recieved a reply from the guy who posted this: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/43884-ongoing-login-and-registration-issues-july-7-2016

TPCi_MT_Mike said:
======================================================================
We were able to login this morning and the account team has been working with Pokemon GO to try and fix any lingering issues.

New account creation is still down but you should have an easier time logging in today.

Yeah I can log into TCGO now. Still can't to the Global Link or GO

Kinsei

Banned
I just got back from my second big walk with the game. I ended up having to spend some money on Pokeballs because of how few Pokestops are around here.

Cm23wnJWYAAV5Pf.jpg

I have claimed two gyms in the name of Team Mystic.

Okay this 1HP gym glitch has got to be fixed like yesterday, holy shit

I dealt with this and it made me so angry. Gym leader had 1hp left, he was still was able to attack, killed my pokemon despite me knowing I wrecked him already, then it said I won the battle but still docked me -2000 GP.

:mad:

I dealt with this and it made me so angry. Gym leader had 1hp left, he was still was able to attack, killed my pokemon despite me knowing I wrecked him already, then it said I won the battle but still docked me -2000 GP.

:mad:
Mine is kinda worse? I don't ever actually lose the battle, I'm essentially soft locked in. Can't run, eventually one of my pokemon will become immortal too, timer running out does nothing. I have to force close it, and it then acts like I haven't even battled the other gym

Haha, amazing. They decided to use a statue in my office building that is located literally one floor below me. I can get free stuff just sitting at my desk. I pass that statue all the time, kinda funny they picked that random piece of art of everything in the entire building. I thought it was kinda weird that Google or whoever knew that piece of art was inside the building, though?

A lot if not all pokestops are based on ingress portal locations which are user submitted based on specific rules. So someone submitted that art piece as an ingress portal sometime ago

Gyms are probably ingress portal clusters turned into one point

LProtag

So what's turning me off of this game is that, you don't really get to battle other people, do you? Also the battles are just tapping?

Are those things going to change?

How do I form my team? I'm right by a gym I want to take on but the my team tab I saw yesterday isn't there.

Wow.. it's fucking hot out here.

Mine is kinda worse? I don't ever actually lose the battle, I'm essentially soft locked in. Can't run, eventually one of my pokemon will become immortal too, timer running out does nothing. I have to force close it, and it then acts like I haven't even battled the other gym

This is my experience as well. Sometimes when I log back in my pokemon will have fainted.

i got 140 power on a fuckin bellsprout

he's my best, then a 105 venonat and a 99 paras

There's still an unclaimed gym in my town, gonna go after work and make it mine

the only way to get the juice is to catch things right? 100 per catch?

Maxinas

So what's turning me off of this game is that, you don't really get to battle other people, do you? Also the battles are just tapping?

Are those things going to change?

Battling other people should be implemented in the future i think they mentioned it somewhere. The battles are just tapping sadly, but there is a swiping dodge mechanic, so it does involve a bit of luck/strategy.

It's not that bad, just reset the game and do it again. That's what I did when it happened to me yesterday and picked up the gym.

It keeps happening no matter how many times I force quit. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to stand physically at the gym which is a playground at a school and I'm 28 years old.

studyguy

Servers must be shitting themselves hard.
I lost a cubone and an abra trying to cap them, game just locked up when transitioning screens and the pokeball loading thing kept spinning forever.

Also there's something at the preschool next door lmao

Ultryx

Let's say I have a Pidgey, Pidgeotto, and Pigeot.

Is it better to level up a Pidgeotto over a lower CP Pigeot?

Edit: Do more evolved forms get more CP from candies than a lower level form?

Let's say I have a Pidgey, Pidgeotto, and Pigeot.

Is it better to level up a Pidgeotto over a lower CP Pigeot?

Thread wisdom says you should try to max out your pidgey first then evolve it to get a max pidgeotto right off the bat.

I can't verify this claim since I already evolved it at the first chance I got :/

Ragnaroz

Thread wisdom says you should try to max out your pidgey first then evolve it to get a max pidgeotto right off the bat.

I can't verify this claim since I already evolved it at the first chance I got :/
Nah, it doesn't matter when he powers them up, they will end up the same anyway. If you want a stronger Pidgeot than the one you got, you need to catch one once your trainer level goes up.

Ultryx

Nah, it doesn't matter when he powers them up, they will end up the same anyway. If you want a stronger Pidgeot than the one you got, you need to catch one once your trainer level goes up.

So it's better to spend my time leveling up something that is already in it's final form, even if it has a lower CP at the time than a less evolved form I have also?

Toki767

It's really frustrating how any time I make an effort to go outside the servers die. Then when I go back home it works fine.

Ragnaroz

So it's better to spend my time leveling up something that is already in it's final form, even if it has a lower CP at the time than a less evolved form I have also?
If you caught say a Pidgey and a Pidgeot on the same trainer level, then yes, the one you should power up is the Pidgeot because then you don't need to spend candy for evolving. Stardust cost and CP gain will be the same in the end.

Chille

yes, it doesn't really make any sense. It's probably bugged or some shit.

Seems lure's work..

I want to buy a few just to see how many folks come running in my neighborhood hahahaha

I just think Pokemon don't like my basement flat, not had a single one appear near my location

Jims

A lot if not all pokestops are based on ingress portal locations which are user submitted based on specific rules. So someone submitted that art piece as an ingress portal sometime ago

Gyms are probably ingress portal clusters turned into one point

Ah, that explains it. I was really wracking my brains trying to figure out how that random piece of art would end up on Google Maps or something. Glad they went with that one, though!

I think I'm having the most fun just going to places and seeing what the PokeStops and Gym Locations are. Went to an outdoor mall for lunch and marveled at how many of the stores had Stops in them.

Ultryx

yes, it doesn't really make any sense. It's probably bugged or some shit.

Seems lure's work..

I want to buy a few just to see how many folks come running in my neighborhood hahahaha

I bought 1 lure, but it's raining here right now. The closest Pokestop is around the corner from me so maybe if we get a break in the rain I'll go wander over there and patiently wait. Mwahaha!

Top Bottom