• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

vypek

Game claimed there was a Tauros around me, 2 steps away. I went looking for it. It went to 3 steps when I got to the first floor of my building. Game never stopped trying to connect to server so I restarted and it was gone :/

Arrrammis

Is the only way to get pokecoins really from defending gyms or buying them?

Most of my gyms are already occupied.

I'm surprised they gave us a way to get free pokecoins at all. Similar F2P games only give you the option to buy that kind of currency. Plus, everything in the store is obtainable by leveling up. Level 10 now, so far I've gotten 3 incense, 1 lure module, and 3 lucky eggs from the level up gifts.

They're on the same team though. :(

Then that makes it even easier! There should be a button in the bottom left corner that allows you to add your pokemon to the gym, since it is on the same team as you! You'll still be able to get all of the bonuses from the gym, but it will also make it harder for people to attack the gym since they need to fight more pokemon.

Can confirm that even a light jog is too fast to hatch eggs. Ran a 5k never going faster than 7:00/mile, and I'm at .5/5k. Servers were confirmed good until at least halfway through the run.

Which is bullshit, bike riding counts in the games.

Can confirm that even a light jog is too fast to hatch eggs. Ran a 5k never going faster than 7:00/mile, and I'm at .5/5k. Servers were confirmed good until at least halfway through the run.

7:00/mile is a light jog for you? Shit, I'm out of shape. I can only run longer distances (3-5 miles) at around a 9:00 pace. :/

I've read people saying that biking counts. The servers were probably messing up for you.

Arozay

I think I'm already over the initial pull of the game. I booted up the game at home, realised there's nothing to do in it and closed it. It just has no depth.

I've read people saying that biking counts. The servers were probably messing up for you.
Those people are dirty liars or slow-ass bike riders. I watched myself running in the game, continuously opened the shop, and caught a Weedle while running. No steps.

All I got out of the whole thing was enough candy to get a Kakuna and worthless exercise.

sonto340

I feel like 7:00/mile is not a light jog, but I'm probably way out of shape.

Anyway it was probably the servers shitting the bed.

3rjAr7Y.gif

Ganhyun

Man, I had used an incense and was actually getting a decent response. Was in the middle of catching a Pideotto (first orange circle pokemon i've seen and first non-green) and the game freezes and crashes. Try to go back in and the servers are down. dammit.

Meier

Zubat was proving to be a huge pain but I finally got a ball to hit and then the game just never loaded the caught part and eventually crashed. Did I just waste like 20 balls for nothing? Do they refill over time or do they make you pay? Catching seems infuriatingly hard.

Chaos17

Red

Zubat was proving to be a huge pain but I finally got a ball to hit and then the game just never loaded the caught part and eventually crashed. Did I just waste like 20 balls for nothing? Do they refill over time or do they make you pay? Catching seems infuriatingly hard.
You get balls for leveling up or swiping pokéstops.

McBryBry

Off work at noon. Get lunch with my girlfriend. Decide to explore the city some. So we start the game.... 5 minutes later servers are down. Every freaking time I try to play outside of work or home.

Fucking game. All day it's good. I'm going to lunch. Lucky egg and an incense. Servers down. I paid money for this shit. Where do I complain?

Arrrammis

The whole walk tracking is completely broken from what I've seen... I was driving through a city and when I arrived, the app had counted those 4 Km as walking despite me going 30+ mph pretty much the whole time. Then, I walked across my college campus (roughly 1/2 of a mile), and the app said that I hadn't walked at all.

Toki767

I'm surprised they gave us a way to get free pokecoins at all. Similar F2P games only give you the option to buy that kind of currency. Plus, everything in the store is obtainable by leveling up. Level 10 now, so far I've gotten 3 incense, 1 lure module, and 3 lucky eggs from the level up gifts.

Then that makes it even easier! There should be a button in the bottom left corner that allows you to add your pokemon to the gym, since it is on the same team as you! You'll still be able to get all of the bonuses from the gym, but it will also make it harder for people to attack the gym since they need to fight more pokemon.

I was curious whether lucky eggs and lure modules could drop regularly or from Pokestops.

Also the gyms already have 3 trainers in them so it doesn't seem like I can add more.

Uses item to attract Pokémon *Tangula* appears. Seems like I'm about to catch it and severs die and loses out on item.

I'm excited for catching different Pokémon but it sucks at the same time because you need to catch multiple Pokémon of the same kind to make them stronger. I caught a wild Bulbasuar but it means nothing because there's no way for me to evolve it.

Zafir

You get loads of pokeballs by visiting pokespots.

But yeah I just had the exact same thing happen. Had it running while i was riding in a car, but the Zubat spawned in a weird spot making it a bit difficult to catch, finally caught it after 7 or 8 balls, and the server bugged out. Didn't register. -.-

This game is making me face my anxiety about going outside and walking around my neighborhood. Bless it. There are three gyms and 6 spots withing 5 minutes of my house.

this shit blew up fuckin fast, what has it been, like 2 fuckin days?

madd people in the office are on this app and i've been seeing memes on facebook

this app is a big fuckin deal

Arrrammis

I was curious whether lucky eggs and lure modules could drop regularly or from Pokestops.

Also the gyms already have 3 trainers in them so it doesn't seem like I can add more.

I haven't seen lucky eggs or lure modules dropping from pokestops, but maybe they do at a higher level. So far it seems that pokestops drop more stuff at higher levels. At lvl. 5, they started dropping potions and revives. At lvl. 7-8, they started giving Razberries. At 9, they started giving super potions. so who knows, maybe they get more generous.

Shame about that, I forgot about that limit. I wonder why you can't have more... maybe to make the gyms easier to attack, I guess.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
I don't know why I keep getting surprise but went to lunch with some people from work and counted 12 people playing pokemon.

is anyone working?

ryseing

Attempt to go for a jog around campus in order to hatch some eggs and hit some spots (my campus is crawling with them). App crashes each time I try to use a spot and doesn't count my jog. Meanwhile, the fortunate souls that have been able to use the app have already stacked the gyms. What a mess of a launch.

Ideas for Niantic- do a soft reset of gyms when you figure out the server shit in order to give everyone a fair shot at claiming them. $5 worth of pokecoins would be nice as well.

Attempt to go for a jog around campus in order to hatch some eggs and hit some spots (my campus is crawling with them). App crashes each time I try to use a spot and doesn't count my jog. Meanwhile, the fortunate souls that have been able to use the app have already stacked the gyms. What a mess of a launch.

Ideas for Niantic- do a soft reset of gyms when you figure out the server shit. $5 worth pf pokecoins would be nice as well.
You might be jogging too fast for it to count.

Durden77

Pokemon Go makes life more fun. My truck is literally completely out of gas, so I have to walk up about a mile in this hot ass weather to fill up a gas tank. Actually doesn't sound too bad thanks to GO.

Edit : EXCEPT WHEN THE SERVERS ARE DOWN ARRRRGG

Kinokou

When the site where you check if the servers are up also goes down > <

It's raining, it's cold enough to sometimes see my breath and I think I'm coming down with a cold, and yet all I want to do is to go out and catch stuff to level up and buff my gym prestige before the blue team takes it back based on their superior numbers.

Chaos17

This game is making me face my anxiety about going outside and walking around my neighborhood. Bless it. There are three gyms and 6 spots withing 5 minutes of my house.

I hope you will have the chance to meet cool people like them :)

The lure was supposed to bring more Pokemon. Instead it brought together people who would've never met otherwise.
I9ug21k.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4rszbc/the_lure_was_supposed_to_bring_more_pokemon/

(That's not the same pic that I posted before, I think? Not same thread tho)

JackDT

I think I'm already over the initial pull of the game. I booted up the game at home, realised there's nothing to do in it and closed it. It just has no depth.

I so wish it worked like regular Pokemon games. That is, you take your starter pokemon and you FIGHT the pokemon find in a turn based battle, and if you win, then you throw a pokeball to capture. And this is also how you level up your own pokemon -- by using them in battles.

You'd see Pokemon of various power levels around and pick and choose which ones you can beat, or maybe go after low ones to level up your lower level Pokemon, etc.

It's the basic game loop in actual Pokemon, it's crazy they didn't replicate it!

Top Bottom