• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Salaadin

I spent a lot of stardust on a weedle and I'm not sure why I did it. He better be awesome.
Is stardust easier to earn later on?

massoluk

Banned
Cm2_iC-XEAAjz4L.jpg

THIS IS GREATNESS

aBarreras

Can confirm that even a light jog is too fast to hatch eggs. Ran a 5k never going faster than 7:00/mile, and I'm at .5/5k. Servers were confirmed good until at least halfway through the run.

Which is bullshit, bike riding counts in the games.

a friend gathered 2.5km on a bus on his way to work, so no, you cant confirm anything

batbeg

THIS IS GREATNESS

It's a shop, it said bathrooms initially.

Still continue to see people walking and driving around the neighborhood. I like to think about how those of us who played the gameboy game at recess are meeting up at playgrounds again almost 20 years later lol.

Pejo

Caught a Weedle and some sort of crab catepillar thing on my morning break walk. Also found a bat creature, but holy shit it was hard to hit with a pokeball. I eventually hit it, but then the game crashed, and when I went back in, it didn't give it to me. Fuck that means I have to actually catch that thing again. I must have thrown 15 balls.

Really fun concept though, I like it.

213372bu

Banned
This game is blowing up as big as I thought it was.

Everyone I personally know is posting Pokemon Go pics/memes.

The find rate for anything short of driving is abysmal though.

10 miles and only 2 Pokemon, wat.

It's a shop, it said bathrooms initially.

Still continue to see people walking and driving around the neighborhood. I like to think about how those of us who played the gameboy game at recess are meeting up at playgrounds again almost 20 years later lol.

I think this is a benefit of just having Gen I for now. Those Pokemon are very familiar to most people, if there were random Gen V or whatever Pokemon around, I don't think it would catch on as it did.

Red

I don't want regular Pokémon battles to be replicated. Maybe in PvP. But the mechanics are not here to really do it... Pokémon are limited to two attacks which are randomly selected, stats are either opaque or completely missing, and the lack of Pokémon centers would mean potions would cost a ton to maintain your team. This is a totally different game. I'm happy about that. I would like more variation to the ball flinging game though. Maybe some kind of little minigame that needs completed beyond "flick at the thing."

akileese

The game still isn't out in all markets even inside the US. I still get "not available in your region" on the play store. Chill.

That actually makes it even worse since they haven't gone into Europe yet. The congestion is only going to get worse.

Persistent server issues in a game will cannibalize the user base. It killed Halo MCC to the point where it never recovered until you could get the game for $20. Mobile games are even worse since people aren't paying for them up front. If someone tries to log in a few times a day over a weekend and gets hit with an error message every time, they're just going to give up an uninstall the thing and never come back to it.

Contrary to believe, you can be chill about something and still have a pessimistic outlook based on past situations.

Chaos17

I think I'm already over the initial pull of the game. I booted up the game at home, realised there's nothing to do in it and closed it. It just has no depth.

Aww, that's too bad, maybe you didn't had the chance to have witness some irl event with the game. I keep reading cool testemonies like this one.

Went on a walk to catch some more Pokemon tonight. My neighborhood is a damn breeding ground for Rattatas and Pidgeys, but I had seen an Eevee and a Slowbro silhouette earlier on my way home. Plus there's a gym at the front of our subdivision. It was blue already so we walked over to it and I joined up with him, tossing in my CP 333 Pidgeot to take to top spot in a level 3 gym.

As we were walking back home I saw a car do a u turn and I said "I bet they are going after the gym!" My wife laughed and said they were probably lost, but as I watched they pulled over to the side and parked behind the subdivision sign. Then I looked down at my phone...the gym came under attack!

They knocked out the guy below me quickly, a level 200 something, then started attacking my Bird Jesus. I turned to my wife, "I told you! They are trying to take the gym!" She said, "we'll go battle them!" I explained that wasn't how it worked, we'd just have to wait and take the gym back after they were done. We got within range and watched from behind some palm trees as they continued to assault my gym.

My wife laughed and said I should go over and knock on their window and say hi. "I'm not going to give those Red or Yellow bastards the satisfaction! Go Pidgeot! Kick their ass!" Assault after assault came in, but Bird Jesus stood strong as we watched their headlights shine from behind their hiding spot behind subdivision's entrance sign.

Finally after a few more minutes they gave up and drove off. I yelled, "That's right! Stay off Team Blue's turf!" My wife looked at me like I was crazy and started walking home. I held my head high in victory as I watched Pidgeot fly majestically above the gym. Then I caught another friggin Rattata.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...on_a_walk_with_my_wife_this_evening_to_catch/

But yeah, I hope Nintendo will expand the mechanics.

This game is blowing up as big as I thought it was.

Everyone I personally know is posting Pokemon Go pics/memes.

The find rate for anything short of driving is abysmal though.

10 miles and only 2 Pokemon, wat.
I think you chance of finding stuff increases if you're near more Pokestops. I usually find three Taurus's at a time near the biology building, I find two or three creatures on a block walk to CVS, etc.

Tawpgun

It's getting to be a chore to play with the lag and slow load times and server issues.

I had some errands to run and I didn't catch a single pokemon due to the white spinny pokeball of death

Pejo

Go out for a walk since there's a PokeStop down the street from me, servers down lol

What do the pokestops do? I walked by 2 but when I touched them, I just got a white sphere in front of me with nothing to do on it?

Also ran into a Gym, but it wouldn't let me do anything since I'm not level 5.

vypek

Didn't pay attention, but do we get daily Pokéball bonuses?
I wasted like 15 on a Raticate...

Pokestops refresh like very 5 minutes. You can just swipe at pokestops and get more of them. I got 50+ on my way to work this morning and will get some one my way back.

ryseing

What do the pokestops do? I walked by 2 but when I touched them, I just got a white sphere in front of me with nothing to do on it?

Pokestops are supposed to give you items. Because of the server issues though they haven't.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What's the best way to raise these guys?

Power up then evolve or just evolve?

WHat's the significance of the half circle around the pokemon, I assume the more filled in the better

Durden77

There are a lot of really bad decisions in this game. Seems like that wristband thing is going to basically be mandatory.

It seems designed to definitely make the wristband viable. That looks like the only way you can play the game while it's idling and I doubt they'll change that.

Anyone know if the size of the Pokemon effects anything of if it's just cosmetic?

Arrrammis

If you are in range of the pokestop and swipe on the pokestop, then it spits out several pokeballs, and more items once you level up more. If the circle is white though, that usually means that servers are down or you don't have a good connection- it's supposed to be a picture of whatever landmark the pokestop is sitting on.

I must live and work in the most joyless, soulless place in the universe. I don't know ANYBODY playing this game, haven't heard anyone IRL talk about it, or seen anyone play it.

I am SO JEALOUS of all of you that get to share this experience with friends, family, and colleagues.

SeZMehK

I was on my way to work. After I parked my car, I had four city blocks to walk before I get there (NYC, Downtown Brooklyn). Right when I was one block from my workplace, a Nidoqueen popped up in my nearby list. I chased that sucker down and got it! I had to walk back five blocks. It was worth it. I powered it up and I took over all 5 gyms around my workplace. >:D Team Mystic!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think this is a benefit of just having Gen I for now. Those Pokemon are very familiar to most people, if there were random Gen V or whatever Pokemon around, I don't think it would catch on as it did.
This was a pretty wise move.
The white sphere should be a picture of what the pokestop is (say, a fountain), and then you flick to spin that picture to claim the rewards.

But in this case it sounds like it just didn't load for you- the servers are slammed. (

Asgaro

Has there been any official comment on the request for PvP battles already? The game would boom even more than it already is lol.

umbra

Caught a diglet, rattata, and sandshrew on my first walk, though servers made me lose a pidgy and zubat... sure hope they're working on them stability updates.

Managed to find/win 3 gyms from yellow, and add a pkmn to defend a 4th, just need these gyms to hold out till 5pm and i can collect my daily gym payments for 9 pokemon. Gonna be a big payday if so!

Kyrios

SUPPOSED to give you Pokeballs, items, eggs, etc...

That sucks. Now I can see they made the GoPlus to get around the app's limitations (aside from not having a pedometer).

When I pointed out the greed in another thread, arms flew up. The tactic is messed up. Not counting steps unless the app is open? No notification if the app isn't open? Why. What do they gain by having the app open the entire time? Are investors demanding play time be above a certain amount of hours? Nothing about this app makes sense and if it weren't branded with the Pokemon logo I wouldn't even touch it.

vypek

I must live and work in the most joyless, soulless place in the universe. I don't know ANYBODY playing this game, haven't heard anyone IRL talk about it, or seen anyone play it.

I am SO JEALOUS of all of you that get to share this experience with friends, family, and colleagues.

With strangers too. Was on a lunch break with a friend and we were getting a pidgeotto when someone came up and asked us about the game as well. A ton of my coworkers are playing this. Its crazy. Hopefully you can find other people eventually.

Reversed

The perks of working in an area full of youngsters. :p (average age of workers in here is in the early 20s)

Kinsei

Banned
Caught a diglet, rattata, and sandshrew on my first walk, though servers made me lose a pidgy and zubat... sure hope they're working on them stability updates.

Nice. The only ground type I've come across is Geodude (and a Cubone was nearby but I couldn't find it T_T).

aBarreras

When I pointed out the greed in another thread, arms flew up. The tactic is messed up. Not counting steps unless the app is open? No notification if the app isn't open? Why. What do they gain by having the app open the entire time? Are investors demanding play time be above a certain amount of hours? Nothing about this app makes sense and if it weren't branded with the Pokemon logo I wouldn't even touch it.

you can use the battery saver feature, that lets the game run with the screen off

Top Bottom