• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

Already got Silver pre-loaded. We're all in agreement Silver had the better sprites, right?

QRyIyb9.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You can still export your Pokémon to Bank like with the other VC versions, right?

Crayolan

Crobat doesn't learn Sludge Bomb in Gen 2. Just a heads up.

I feel like it has poor performance in most gyms after, though. The only matchups I can think of that Bayleef/Meganium does ok are vs Whitney's Miltank, Chuck's Poliwrath and Clair's Kingdra and that's on the basis of being very tanky and poisoning them to death (and Razor Leaf vs Poli).

It's decent vs Jasmine's Steelix in gen 2 because Steelix has Sunny Day over Sandstorm (to counter water types I guess) letting Bayleef stay healed with boosted Synthesis and cause Bayleef can actually deal some damage due to razor leaf being special.

But yeah, I guess Meganium's not particularly good against most gyms. Its negatives just stand out much more in the late game for me, whereas most people bring up how it's bad vs the first 2 gyms which isn't actually much of an issue.

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Look at this adorable little Cyndaquil getting tickled! Look at how cute it is!
giphy.gif

And now look at how much of a bro Typhlosion is! It knows you have a crush on someone and it's reacting the way only a bro could!
2ee96ddca0c898ef71bc9a7fdbbe579921692dda_hq.gif

The Cyndaquil evolution line is clearly the best.

dropkickpikachu

Neo Member
Is there anywhere that Nintendo warned people it wouldn't be unlocked at midnight eastern like normal with pre-loads? My wife is gonna be ticked when she wakes up and can't play Gold yet.

HiroTSK5

Is there anywhere that Nintendo warned people it wouldn't be unlocked at midnight eastern like normal with pre-loads? My wife is gonna be ticked when she wakes up and can't play Gold yet.

It's not even unlocked midnight Pacific let alone eastern.

also is the Celebi code activated yet, tried the code on my receipt when I purchased it last week and tried just now to no avail?

edit: nevermind, mixed up and S for a 5 when I was inputting the password

SOR5

One thing I always adored about Gold/Silver/Crystal is the nighttime colour palette and how the windows lit up giving the game a very warm and inviting feeling.

I was like super dissapointed as a kid when Ruby & Sapphire came out and there was no more visible nighttime.

Are you me

MicH

That's odd. It went live at midnight in Europe and Australia.

Must be NoA being NoA again.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Really wish they would have released Crystal at the same time. I’ll pick up Gold and name my character Hiro for the sake of nostalgia though

MetalDeer

Yeah, in NA it even says the release date for the game has passed, but when I try to launch it, it says to wait for the release date.

NoA please.

im_dany

Had both boxed copies yesterday in my hands, but the people who had put it up had creased the upper part badly when opening it when removing the download card. Going to search tomorrow if I can find them again in a better state.

Fuck this bitch!

Does the box contain anything else other than the download code? The retail box for RBY in Japan was great (and I still haven't bought it :( ) but the European one for G/S looks pretty barebones

So it seems a lot of people In NA who migrated their NNIDs to My Nintendo accounts are having trouble getting their Celebi and Theme codes from the receipt. I assume this is because we bought them somewhat early and they can be updated on the 3DS but not via email or something. I contacted support the other day but only got a survey about their response... as the response. If I still don't have an updated email from them by the end of the day I guess I have to call in. That and the games randomly unlocking at noon instead of midnight like everywhere else has really put a dampener on my enjoyment of this launch.

Anyways, when I can eventually get to playing, I'm going to be doing a full Pokedex for Silver to finally give Gen 2 a proper sendoff. It's difficult due to the levels at the end not exactly being high and some of the Pokemon only being available for half of the week, but it should be fun.

Also, Jigglypuff is on Route 46 in that little area you can access at the beginning of the game. I don't know why it's there, it's not there in the remakes or Crystal, and it would make more sense if it was Igglybuff but there's a nice Sleep Pokemon for your runs right there.

Also as was mentioned you can get all three starters, but you can also get Celebi in a much safer method than previously found. It's still dangerous due to using ACE but it's relatively easy to set up and doesn't require precise timing. Just make sure you follow the instructions perfectly because ACE fucking up can be messy.

Robin64

Also, Jigglypuff is on Route 46 in that little area you can access at the beginning of the game. I don't know why it's there, it's not there in the remakes or Crystal, and it would make more sense if it was Igglybuff but there's a nice Sleep Pokemon for your runs right there.

Good shout.

Though the Celebi listed in your post, I wonder if that will be Bankable or not. Mews obtained sneakily were not, you had to have the specific Mew with the OT of GF.

Good shout.

Though the Celebi listed in your post, I wonder if that will be Bankable or not. Mews obtained sneakily were not, you had to have the specific Mew with the OT of GF.
Yeah if there's no Celebi event for GSVC they're not going to allow any of them through, this is just for people who couldn't stand to see the dex end at 250 (or 249).

Also funny thing about Mew, they screwed up. The Japanese and UK releases were flagged as nicknamed with invalid bytes filling the rest of the name so when you trade them up (if you're lucky enough or managed to inject a clone into the RBYVC yourself), they're named MEW??????? or ミュウ??. Oops.

pokéfan

So excited to play these again, I've only played Pokemon gold once many years ago. Downloaded Pokemon silver last night. Really in the mood to play Pokemon.

Phazeta

Neo Member
I just used my download codes from both boxed versions. No theme code appears on the eShop receipt nor the e-mail you receive. Also checked Purchased Themes in the theme shop, and there's nothing there. Seems like they really are exclusive to the eShop.

I did get two Celebi codes. They're different, so I assume that means I can activate both on different S/M/US/UM games.

The last time where all three starters looked good. I'm just here to post. I don't see much point in playing this game anymore when there's Soul Silver, Storm Silver, and Prism.

Man, I remember all those games I won against other kids on my original copy of Silver.

"Oh, you're sending a water type out against my Typhlosion? That's a good idea. Or it would be, if I didn't teach her THUNDERPUNCH."

Good times.

Robin64

Man, I remember all those games I won against other kids on my original copy of Silver.

"Oh, you're sending a water type out against my Typhlosion? That's a good idea. Or it would be, if I didn't teach her THUNDERPUNCH."

Good times.

Haha yeah, as a kid that sort of "trick" of giving your Pokémon a move that will be super effective against a normally bad type matchup felt like next level stuff.

woopWOOP

Oh, is this today? I almost forgot about this one!
Got the DS remakes, but I'm definitely getting one of the two. I just love the game's colour palette.
One thing I always adored about Gold/Silver/Crystal is the nighttime colour palette and how the windows lit up giving the game a very warm and inviting feeling.

I was like super dissapointed as a kid when Ruby & Sapphire came out and there was no more visible nighttime.
Exactly! The bright daytime colours are great too. The rocks and canyons have this yellowish hue, there's bright green trees, everybody walks around with a tan, etc. It feels like the game takes place in an endless summer. I can just imagine the Cicadas making noises everywhere

Now if only I knew which of the starters I should pick this time aro-
Also there's a glitch that lets you get all the starters in a single run anyway...
Oh. Well then, guess I'm gonna look this up!

Andrefpvs

I'm loving the talk about the day/nighttime colour palette in this thread. It's making me feel all nostalgic inside.

I'm torn, I was thinking of waiting for Crystal to inevitably pop up since I never played it, but I'm also impatient (and when looking at its missing pokemon I had to laugh at the fact that my favourite Kanto pokemon (Primeape) AND Johto pokemon (Octillery) are missing from it).

For a brief moment I tried to plan my team for Johto using my favourites but then remembered that a lot of the pokemon i like here have silly hurdles (SWARMS) or late game arrivals (RIP Murkow, at least Phanpy arrives in Johto).
So I guess I'd just be using pokemon I don't really use normally this time around.

All things considered, I'm probably gonna succumb to this, my Pokken hasn't arrived today and dammit I need my Pokefix.

MicH

Man, these games are so nostalgic to me. While I generally prefer RSE (Emerald is still my all time favorite Pokemon game) I feel intense nostalgia for these. I remember trying to get through Union Cave at might and trying to find a light that allowed me to actually see what's happening on the damn screen :lol

That's the one thing I don't miss. But I completely agree with everyone in here regarding the color palette. Night time has never been done better.

One of the best sequels I have ever played. After enjoying R/B/Y, I was blown away by this game. The colour palette, the various changes, the return of Team Rocket - it was simply magical.

Robin64

The time of day thing blew me away back then. It might have even been the first game to use a realtime day/night event cycle?

MicH

The time of day thing blew me away back then. It might have even been the first game to use a realtime day/night event cycle?
Speaking of, today (Friday) you can catch a Lapras in Union Cave. You need Surf though. So if anyone wants a Lapras be sure to get it today!

Andrefpvs

Speaking of, today (Friday) you can catch a Lapras in Union Cave. You need Surf though. So if anyone wants a Lapras be sure to get it today!

Ahah, Friday is Lapras day -- that's one of the things we veterans rarely forget!

I probably won't get that far today. :(
Sometimes it's better to take G/S kinda slow. I've been looking at it retrospectively for a few years and it kinda feels like the intention was for a playthrough to last a month or so. Would explain how you can be underleveled in a game where the cap for the first part is 50, you're supposed to grind instead of play it like every other game in the series I think.

Feorax

One thing that these games did that was amazing to me was
unlocking all of Kanto at the end.

It's really disappointing that no game since has tried to do something like that. I hope the Switch game allows us to
jump between regions.

I might be being overzealous with spoilers from a game that came out so long ago, but it's such a great reveal that if anyone hasn't played these, I really don't want to spoil the surprise.

Top Bottom