• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

Robin64

One thing that these games did that was amazing to me was
unlocking all of Kanto at the end.

It's really disappointing that no game since has tried to do something like that. I hope the Switch game allows us to
jump between regions.

I might be being overzealous with spoilers from a game that came out so long ago, but it's such a great reveal that if anyone hasn't played these, I really don't want to spoil the surprise.

Even more amazing is that we only got it because of how badass Iwata was at programming. It wasn't originally intended to be a thing, but Iwata wrote a compression routine that let him fit it in the game too, supposedly "in his spare time".

Oddish1

One thing that these games did that was amazing to me was
unlocking all of Kanto at the end.

It's really disappointing that no game since has tried to do something like that. I hope the Switch game allows us to
jump between regions.

I might be being overzealous with spoilers from a game that came out so long ago, but it's such a great reveal that if anyone hasn't played these, I really don't want to spoil the surprise.

It's something they're unlikely to do again because it broke the balance of the game and made Johto feel more underdeveloped than other regions in the franchise.

Anyone in the US unable to play it yet? Below the icon it says to open it while connect to the internet, but when I do it says to check back later when it's released.

Johto Journeys, Johto League Champions and Master Quest is one hell of an anime opening theme trifecta.

I'm in on Gold Version, I'm sorry Donphan but I gotta experience the different sprites this time.

Zafir

It's something they're unlikely to do again because it broke the balance of the game and made Johto feel more underdeveloped than other regions in the franchise.
I dunno about the under-developed part. Maybe it is compared to more recent titles but it's unfair to compare it to anything after due to being on a newer platform.

magawolaz

I have a vivid memory of coming home from a retreat in the mountains with my soccer club back in 2001, only to find out that my Gold save has been overwritten and the only available Pokémon was a fucking
cute
Chikorita.

My little sister still denies it to this day that she was had anything to do with it.

Stone issue?

Well as far as I recall, you can't get the standard water/fire/leaf stones until Kanto.
(mystery gift being your only chance prior I think)

Which kind of puts a downer on using any stone evo pokemon, then again I may be wrong and if I am someone for the love of all that is good and decent tell me where the stones are!

(issue was the wrong word, I should've used placement)

Well as far as I recall, you can't get the standard water/fire/leaf stones until Kanto.

Which kind of puts a downer on using any stone evo pokemon, then again I may be wrong and if I am someone for the love of all that is good and decent tell me where the stones are!

In Pokemon Crystal, phonecall NPCs could sometimes give you certain stones earlier.

In Pokemon Crystal, phonecall NPCs could sometimes give you certain stones earlier.
Yeah, only in Crystal though. If you can trade with someone you could send them back to Gen 1 (barring any Gen 2 moves) and they can evolve it there, but otherwise you're out of luck until Bill's grandfather wants to see what you actually want him to.

JoeM86

Ding ding. People keep forgetting this.

It was amazing, yeah. However Johto was small for it. Kanto was empty. The story was minimal. There was just little to do.

As much as I adore these games, I’d forgotten just how bad the Pokemon availability is. I guess it’s because I was 7 when I first played and probably only used my starter but seriously, you can’t get any of stone evolutions until Kanto, as well as a ton of Johto mon. I’m having a tough time planning a team at the moment because there are no decent Ice, Rock or Grass types if you don’t have the ability to trade!

Ding ding. People keep forgetting this.

It was amazing, yeah. However Johto was small for it. Kanto was empty. The story was minimal. There was just little to do.

As much as I adore these games, I’d forgotten just how bad the Pokemon availability is. I guess it’s because I was 7 when I first played and probably only used my starter but seriously, you can’t get any of stone evolutions until Kanto, as well as a ton of Johto mon. I’m having a tough time planning a team at the moment because there are no decent Ice, Rock or Grass types if you don’t have the ability to trade!

As much as I do enjoy these entries and appreciate what they added to the series, it's this combo among a few other things that have me not love them nearly as much as most of the fanbase.
Even DarkOrchid's avatar is a tease of Murkrow's odd placement, want to use a dark type? I hope you like Umbreon!

Kyzer

Banned
They made Pokemon Gold & Silver for the Game Boy, and on top of that were planning it as a sequel to the originals unsure that the franchise would last much longer than it had. The idea that they won't do a second region again because they did it once in a Game Boy game in the 90s and the game was short and didn't have much content is so laughable it would defeat Sabrina's Kadabra in S1 of the anime. Patterns do not dictate game design. If they wanted to give it another shot they could. Exp share already broke the level curve and put control in the player's hands, Sun/Moon's highest level E4 pokemon are 65 and theres nothing to do between 65-100 already.

Shizuka

Last year, I completed Pokémon Yellow in three days from the VC release, let’s see how long it’ll take for me to finish Pokémon Gold this year.

Kyzer

Banned

(issue was the wrong word, I should've used placement)

pretty sure you can't get them in the stores in Celadon either, stones are much rarer in GS.

Shiggy

photo_2017-09-22_12-36cs7x.jpg

The Gold box was damaged on the side so I'm waiting for a replacement now (Amazon chose to deliver it in the smallest package possible).

Even DarkOrchid's avatar is a tease of Murkrow's odd placement, want to use a dark type? I hope you like Umbreon!
I'm glad someone noticed I've been going around with a protest avatar. I'll be injecting my cart Gold save into my hacked 3DS so I can trade over a Murkrow egg into Silver on my legit one. Could also do some glitch Pokemon shenanigans to trade over a Murkrow into Gen 2 but meh, this is easier.

Kyzer

Banned
I remember scouring the net and reading walkthroughs for the game with all the names in Japanese, and the hype around reading blurbs like these after living in a world with ~151 pokemon was through the roof:

pojo said:
Rumor #6: Evolve Eevee into Burakki/Eefi with the Sun Stone.
Answer: Not true. Eevee evolves into Burakki during the night and EEfi during the day.

various walkthroughs said:
When you first start, you will be in Wakaba town, there are two options that can
be chosen. Choose the top one, which means 'New Game'. Now you will be displayed with some
numbers, the numbers here are to set the time of the day. There is a defualt time, which
is 10:00 AM, but you may set the time for whatever you'd like it to be. After telling your
mom the time of day, she will give you the Pokégear.

- Hinoarashi; Hedgehog thingy (Fire)
- Waninoko; Crocodile thingy (Water)
- Chicolita; Leaf-headed thingy (Grass)

Mirutanku- Mirutanku has a strange attack that
makes your Pokémon get woozy. Your Pokémon
not attack the Mirutanku for a few turns, but
while waiting to attack, Mirutanku will attack
you with a powerful pound-like attack.
Once
again, have a powerful and quick Pokémon

GYM LEADER - Mikan
Magnemite
Magnemite
Haganail (Steel Onix)

199 Yadoking -- Evolved from Slowpoke (?)

You'll enter a cavern with whirlpools. Use HM 06 to eliminate the whirlpool

Stuff like this was available in a lot of shops, and as a kid you couldnt go anywhere, not even gift shops, without seeing all of the latest pokemon cards for sale:

And of course, the eventual commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgFVvnFNYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849zPOUgFIc

Good thing I have an afternoon shift, when I return home I'll be able to get me a Hoothoot, I ain't having none of this pidgey business.

And boy, do I! Best Eeveelution, I still have mine from Pokémon Colosseum, traded up all the way to the modern games.
Still have mine from Colosseum as well.

pretty sure you can't get them in the stores in Celadon either, stones are much rarer in GS.
You're at the mercy of Bill's grandad here,

I feel like they went all in on the daily events and timing in regards to pokemon and items which while neat in concept could leave you in the lurch when it came to wanting to go through the game with certain pokemon.
I can't spend my Johto life waiting for someone to phone and tell me it's Qwilfish time at last, I've got a league to win!

I'm glad someone noticed I've been going around with a protest avatar. I'll be injecting my cart Gold save into my hacked 3DS so I can trade over a Murkrow egg into Silver on my legit one. Could also do some glitch Pokemon shenanigans to trade over a Murkrow into Gen 2 but meh, this is easier.
I'm glad you're committed to such workarounds for the krow.

I remember scouring the net and reading walkthroughs for the game with all the names in Japanese, and the hype around reading blurbs like these after living in a world with ~151 pokemon was through the roof:

Even before we got to truly dig in, we were warned to fear MIRUTANKU!

Robin64

Interestingly, as with other VC titles with patches, they are stored in seperately from the ROM in the VC package.

Well along with patches for Gold and Silver is a patch for Crystal, which does the following:

[MAcheck]
Mode = 1
Address = 0x16C000
Fixcode = 0xC9

This? This disables the mobile adapter boot screen. Could be a definite sign that Crystal will be released too.

Kyzer

Banned
Even more amazing is that we only got it because of how badass Iwata was at programming. It wasn't originally intended to be a thing, but Iwata wrote a compression routine that let him fit it in the game too, supposedly "in his spare time".

I will be honoring Iwata this weekend with a playthrough

MicH

I hope if they ever release Crystal on VC they'll give us the GS Ball somehow. I want to experience the Celebi event.

Crayolan

Kanto didn't break the balance of the game, the devs choosing to make everything underleveled in the midgame in order to allow the player to go in whatever direction they want as early as possible broke the balance of the game. Then they continue to underlevel random trainers for the rest of the game for no real reason. It's super janky but it has nothing to do with Kanto. If Kanto didn't exist and the game ended at Lance nothing would change.

As for Johto being "underdeveloped", I don't agree at all.

I remember everyone being hyped about Pikablue, which just ended up being Marill and thus awful.

You talkin shit about Azumarill? I don't think I've ever actually used one in gen 2...I'm guessing she wasn't very good back then without Huge Power.

eefara

Woohoo! Can't wait! I'm going Silver, and then Gold after; only had Crystal as a kid, so these are both new to me.

I think I'll be doing a themed run with Silver; I've been planning out a team based off of the Digital Devil Saga games.

Two questions:
In NA, does it matter where you buy the game to get the theme? Like, can it be via the eShop, or do I have to go through a specific retailer?

And is an egg's gender determined upon hatching or you receiving it?

Top Bottom