• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

For those wanting to use the Headbutt tree tool for an early Heracross I recommend checking where you'll get your Heracross right after starting your game. There are some areas that do not have a rare encounter tree at all for certain trainer IDs.

Finally got my desired team. This playthrough has been a bit has been a bit of a chore honestly. A lot of backtracking for Heracross (headbutting the right tree) and then going back for Lapras on Friday and then running up and down Goldenrod to boost the happiness for Golbat and Eevee. Golbat was easy since I got him early on at level 2 in the Dark Cave, but since I got Eevee much later, pretty much had to start from scratch with him.

Turns out the reason it was such a chore to get this team is because they probably didn't want me to have these mons this soon.

My Heracross was only level 10 when I got him, but had higher attack than most of my party when I was ready to fight Whitney.

Lapras has the high HP and solid attack stats.

Eevee was the last one and it finally evolved into Espeon today at level 27, then I saw that it doesn't learn Psybeam until level 36, I thought that was dumb, but then I saw why. Holy fuck that special attack stat. That is a fucking crime. That thing is gonna wreck everyone. They probably didn't want Eevee to evolve until around then.

These mons are meant for the late game, but I got them and I am heading toward Cianwood now.

As a kid, I didn't care about stuff like stats and moves, I just went through it. So of course being more strategic has greatly slowed me down, but I'm ready to just mow through the rest of this game now and reclaim those old memories.

Quilava
Crobat
Heracross
Espeon
Lantern
Lapras

Finally got my desired team. This playthrough has been a bit has been a bit of a chore honestly. A lot of backtracking for Heracross (headbutting the right tree) and then going back for Lapras on Friday and then running up and down Goldenrod to boost the happiness for Golbat and Eevee. Golbat was easy since I got him early on at level 2 in the Dark Cave, but since I got Eevee much later, pretty much had to start from scratch with him.

Turns out the reason it was such a chore to get this team is because they probably didn't want me to have these mons this soon.

My Heracross was only level 10 when I got him, but had higher attack than most of my party when I was ready to fight Whitney.

Lapras has the high HP and solid attack stats.

Eevee was the last one and it finally evolved into Espeon today at level 27, then I saw that it doesn't learn Psybeam until level 36, I thought that was dumb, but then I saw why. Holy fuck that special attack stat. That is a fucking crime. That thing is gonna wreck everyone. They probably didn't want Eevee to evolve until around then.

These mons are meant for the late game, but I got them and I am heading toward Cianwood now.

As a kid, I didn't care about stuff like stats and moves, I just went through it. So of course being more strategic has greatly slowed me down, but I'm ready to just mow through the rest of this game now and reclaim those old memories.

Quilava
Crobat
Heracross
Espeon
Lantern
Lapras

You actually left Espeon's evolution a little late unless you wanted one of the Eevee moved Espeon doesn't get, Eeveelutions get their first divergent moves at 16 in Gen I/II. You missed Confusion as a result.

You actually left Espeon's evolution a little late unless you wanted one of the Eevee moved Espeon doesn't get, Eeveelutions get their first divergent moves at 16 in Gen I/II. You missed Confusion as a result.

Missing moves with Espeon really doesn't matter. You can obtain and dupe Psychic in Saffron City and be good to go with its Normal moveset. I had no trouble doing so.

Espeon learns Confusion at level 16 and I was gifted this Eevee at level 20 so ...

Unless I wanted to hatch a new Eevee and start that process all over again *shrug *

Shit, in both gens you're handed a level 20+ Eevee.

Missing moves with Espeon really doesn't matter. You can obtain and dupe Psychic in Saffron City and be good to go with its Normal moveset. I had no trouble doing so.

True, but who wants to wait THAT long to have a stab move on Espeon?

Espeon learns Confusion at level 16 and I was gifted this Eevee at level 20 so ...

Unless I wanted to hatch a new Eevee and start that process all over again *shrug *

It's a good idea to immediately breed that Eevee when you get it and later turn the Bill one into something like Vaporeon who can get a good move of their type with a TM or HM. Hatching an Eevee immediately sets it at 120 friendship (as opposed to 70) so it only needs 100 more to reach the friendship evolution requirement and this is usually by level 16.

batfax

Is there a good place to level a fire type in Kanto? I finally got myself a Houndour and managed to get it to Houndoom but it's really slow going for experience and he's got a ways before hitting the 35-40 range of my main team yet.

Is there a good place to level a fire type in Kanto? I finally got myself a Houndour and managed to get it to Houndoom but it's really slow going for experience and he's got a ways before hitting the 35-40 range of my main team yet.
Cycling Road maybe, especially during the morning and night to avoid the higher Slugma chances. There's nothing really in the 30-40 range in Kanto at all other than Tentacool/cruel in the southern waters.

A Houndoom of any level can basically solo Sabrina's gym if you haven't done it yet. None of the trainers (including Sabrina) can do much to it.

I'm going through Kanto right now, and it really feels like the game already "ended," and this is just a victory lap/stroll down memory lane/really long epilogue. The story feels over, there's a couple of "references" to main story stuff (the lone Rocket grunt, the final random Rival battle in Mt Moon, Bill's Cottage quest), there aren't any proper "dungeons" as places like Viridian Forest, Rock Tunnel and Mt Moon have been drastically reduced and there's no Rocket Corner, Silph Co, Seafoam Islands or Pokemon Mansion. It's just a really long post-credits scene, literally as the credits have already played. I know they didn't really have the ability to flesh it out more because of the tech limitations at the time, but it's still really odd and doesn't quite feel like post-game content. I'm not sure if there's anything else like it in another video game.

Still fun though! Watching Lugia blast Sabrina to smithereens is pretty great.

I'm going through Kanto right now, and it really feels like the game already "ended," and this is just a victory lap/stroll down memory lane/really long epilogue. The story feels over, there's a couple of "references" to main story stuff (the lone Rocket grunt, the final random Rival battle in Mt Moon, Bill's Cottage quest), there aren't any proper "dungeons" as places like Viridian Forest, Rock Tunnel and Mt Moon have been drastically reduced and there's no Rocket Corner, Silph Co, Seafoam Islands or Pokemon Mansion. It's just a really long post-credits scene, literally as the credits have already played. I know they didn't really have the ability to flesh it out more because of the tech limitations at the time, but it's still really odd and doesn't quite feel like post-game content. I'm not sure if there's anything else like it in another video game.

Yeah. It's level curve is all messed up too. It feels like they added it in very late and weren't sure what to do with it. It's a small part progression from the Elite 4 with massive level jumps between that content and mostly it feels like a call back to Gen 1 that you super outlevel.

Admittedly reasonable ability to level past 50ish has generally been awful with only a couple of exceptions since Gen I when it's saving grace was the comparatively small number of Pokemon more than any well thought levelling structure. The post game contents tendency to follow tournament rules basically ensures this.

Aleh

Finally it's Friday so I can get back to Silver. Left off days ago with my 7th badge, now it's time to kick some Rocket ass and try to fully evolve the last two Pokémon in my team.

So we can't transfer any of these Pokémon up to the bank yet?

I'm hoping I can just duplicate my team, send them over, and then retain the originals on my Silver version.

woopWOOP

So I figured I should redeem those codes for my free 3DS theme and Celebi, but for some reason my Gold purchase in my purchase history lacks a button for transaction details? Is it because I shared my funds with my Switch account? Can't find any transaction receipt in my mailbox either. Lame.

True, but who wants to wait THAT long to have a stab move on Espeon?

If you're using the Bill Eevee, it's not evolving until Kanto unless you stop progressing through the story until it evolves. Mine evolved after Surge, I then went up to Saffron to get Psychic. So for me, Espeon always knew Psychic.

So I figured I should redeem those codes for my free 3DS theme and Celebi, but for some reason my Gold purchase in my purchase history lacks a button for transaction details? Is it because I shared my funds with my Switch account? Can't find any transaction receipt in my mailbox either. Lame.
If you don't have the email anywhere, call in. I had to do it because I prepurchased before they were sending out codes and couldn't update the receipt via email like they can on the 3DS. You should get it maybe 5-7 hours after they confirm they're looking into it.

Link_enfant

For those wanting to use the Headbutt tree tool for an early Heracross I recommend checking where you'll get your Heracross right after starting your game. There are some areas that do not have a rare encounter tree at all for certain trainer IDs.

You seem to know many advanced stuff about Gen 2 games, so you might be able to help me: I want a specific TID in my French version of Silver (on 3DS VC), and although I could find some guides to modify it with glitches and ACE, I wish I could be able to get it by manipulating the RNG, just like what speedrunners do in the Gold version.
Would you have any tips about that to provide? Anything should help :)

You seem to know many advanced stuff about Gen 2 games, so you might be able to help me: I want a specific TID in my French version of Silver (on 3DS VC), and although I could find some guides to modify it with glitches and ACE, I wish I could be able to get it by manipulating the RNG, just like what speedrunners do in the Gold version.
Would you have any tips about that to provide? Anything should help :)

I don't really know much about the RNG in gen 2. Looking around it looks like there havn't been much tools made for it.
I know the speedrun manipulates the trainer ID to get the master ball from the lottery so I looked for a speedrun guide for more information. Unfortunately the guide says what the timings are to get the desired TID for the speedrun but does not mention how they were obtained.

Twenty years playing Pokémon games and I've still not seen a single shiny -_-

I ran into one a single time, during a Platinum Nuzlocke... when you team up with someone and do double battles and it was a Shiny Geodude of all things... The partner killed it.

I damn well near threw my 3DS then.

I'm so behind. I'm at the Goldenrod Team Rocket thing. You have to battle soooooo many grunts.
I've been using a Noctowl for the first time and his moves suck. Doesn't learn crappy Confusion until Level 41! As if it were any good by then. A special attacker stuck with bad physical moves. What a waste.

So we can't transfer any of these Pokémon up to the bank yet?

I'm hoping I can just duplicate my team, send them over, and then retain the originals on my Silver version.

You might be able to launder some Gen I Pokemon with what would be illegal moves in strictly Gen I environments (moves that you need breeding to get legally, Gen I moves that are TMs in Gen II, etc ) Gen via Time Machine but that doesn't allow Gen II Pokemon / moves.

I'm so behind. I'm at the Goldenrod Team Rocket thing. You have to battle soooooo many grunts.
I've been using a Noctowl for the first time and his moves suck. Doesn't learn crappy Confusion until Level 41! As if it were any good by then. A special attacker stuck with bad physical moves. What a waste.
Man I trained my Noctowl up to be my quasi-Psychic type only to discover it can’t actually learn Psychic in this game. Like it can learn Confusion but not Psychic? Dumb dumb dumb.

Oh well, still managed to pull its weight against the Elite Four.

22308955_10214641844898543_6934291908643384995_n.jpg

I’m at 13 badges now, just need to beat Brock, Blaine and Blue. Going through the route east of Fuchsia/south of Lavender. Spent like a fucking hour trying to find a Chansey and then another hour trying to catch the damn thing. Now that I’ve got it though I’m just breeding for another one to get that Aerodactyl trade.

You might be able to launder some Gen I Pokemon with what would be illegal moves in strictly Gen I environments (moves that you need breeding to get legally, Gen I moves that are TMs in Gen II, etc ) Gen via Time Machine but that doesn't allow Gen II Pokemon / moves.

Ehh, I don't need to do all that. I just wanna move some of these guys to Sun.

I'm amazed that wasn't available upon release.

Man I trained my Noctowl up to be my quasi-Psychic type only to discover it can’t actually learn Psychic in this game. Like it can learn Confusion but not Psychic? Dumb dumb dumb.

Wow, he can't even learn that? Might as well box him then. Or what's he good for? A gamble on Hypnosis?

Finally it's Friday so I can get back to Silver. Left off days ago with my 7th badge, now it's time to kick some Rocket ass and try to fully evolve the last two Pokémon in my team.
Fuck me... I just missed my second Friday for catching Lapras. Had 7 badges last Friday, have 8 now.

My team is Feraligatr, Ampharos, Espeon (that was a bitch and a half), and a newly aquired Phanpy. Who knew that Phanpy could fucking flee from a fight (read: every fight) and its 10% encounter is actually lower than 1%.

Lapras was gonna be #5, with Houndoom taking #6 late game. Guess that isn't happening now 😰

The day/night feature was super cool when it came out, but it's soooo frustrating now. I used to start the game on a Tuesday every time just so I could do the bug catching contest. Now my old ass sees how worthless that is ☹️. But the only thing that really sucks is Lapras' hard to get ass. Is there any possible way I can glitch the time?

Ehh, I don't need to do all that. I just wanna move some of these guys to Sun.

I'm amazed that wasn't available upon release.

I am too. They did an update that fixed the shiny values right before GC came out.

My best guess is that they figured they'd batch together the legality changes for US/UM with the VC G/S releases and do it all at once, since if this is like prior gens US/UM will probably have Move Tutors which will make a fairly major change to legal moves for Alolan(-form)-mons

Fuck me... I just missed my second Friday for catching Lapras. Had 7 badges last Friday, have 8 now.

My team is Feraligatr, Ampharos, Espeon (that was a bitch and a half), and a newly aquired Phanpy. Who knew that Phanpy could fucking flee from a fight (read: every fight) and its 10% encounter is actually lower than 1%.

Lapras was gonna be #5, with Houndoom taking #6 late game. Guess that isn't happening now ��

The day/night feature was super cool when it came out, but it's soooo frustrating now. I used to start the game on a Tuesday every time just so I could do the bug catching contest. Now my old ass sees how worthless that is ☹️. But the only thing that really sucks is Lapras' hard to get ass. Is there any possible way I can glitch the time?

If this is the same as the original G/C releases you can use this: http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/timechange.php , I haven't verified that it still works completely on G/C VC but I did a quick check and the Time Change menu is still there so I'd say it does (and it was disabled in Crystal, I accidentally reset my cart and lost my Mew that way back in the day).

Arcia

Banned
If this is the same as the original G/C releases you can use this: http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/timechange.php , I haven't verified that it still works completely on G/C VC but I did a quick check and the Time Change menu is still there so I'd say it does (and it was disabled in Crystal, I accidentally reset my cart and lost my Mew that way back in the day).

I have done a time reset on my game, can confirm it still works with no issues. Reseting the time resets all daily events, so all berries will respawn, the bug catching contest will be open again, hair cutter will be open etc. It is pretty useful!

Edit: I also think in Crystal it still works too, the button combo is just way more complicated. You have to hold down+select+B, release down+B while leaving select still pressed, hold left+up, then let go of select. More info here: http://glitchcity.info/wiki/Date_change_exploit

Well, lost to Claire. I guess I need to grind. But it doesn't help there are no random encounters at all close to the level I need to be at. Should I have had experience share by now?

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yeah that's one of the problems of Kanto is that it's so barren and shallow but yet overshadows Johto.

Really glad that Game Freak decided to focus on creating one big region than having two regions.

I absolutely hate that all the stones are in Kanto. Drives me crazy. (save for the Sun Stone)

Mercifully they fixed this in the remake, but yeah the original gen 2 to date is the game where obtaining evolution stones is frustratingly hard and limited as you could only obtain 1 of each from Bill grandfather.

Well, lost to Claire. I guess I need to grind. But it doesn't help there are no random encounters at all close to the level I need to be at. Should I have had experience share by now?

You don't automatically get given the exp share, you have to seek it yourself by giving the red scale to Mr. Pokémon and he will give you the item.

As for grinding, sorry but that's one of the draw back of the game is the dreadful level curve and the only advice that I can give you is surf on Route 40 and grind against Tentacool and Tentacruel, Tentacruel will yield more experience.

You don't automatically get given the exp share, you have to seek it yourself by giving the red scale to Mr. Pokémon and he will give you the item.

As for grinding, sorry but that's one of the draw back of the game is the dreadful level curve and the only advice that I can give you is surf on Route 40 and grind against Tentacool and Tentacruel, Tentacruel will yield more experience.
Oh, that's what the Red Scale was for. Thanks.

Noobcraft

Finally beat the Elite 4 on my Nuzlocke run.

Team was the following:
Lv 49 Machamp (Porkchop)
Lv 33 Heracross (Cross)
Lv 14 Spearow (Gravy X)
Lv 48 Slowking (Juicy)
Lv 56 Dragonite (Silky)
Lv 41 Gyrados (Sushi)

Pokémon I lost:
Lv 10 Spearow (Gravy) - killed by hoot hoot crit in Bellsprout tower
Lv 5 Togepi (Scrambled) - Sacrificed in a gym leader fight
Lv 12 Exeggcute (Easter) - Killed on switch by Umbreon pursuit
Lv 22 Skiploom (Crispy) - Whitney's Miltank
Lv 22 Chinchou (Lumin) - Killed by koffing self-destruct in rocket hideout
Lv 20 Krabby (Buttery) - Sacrificed
Lv 32 Quilava (Spicy) - One-hit KOed from full health by a delibird...

Finally beat the Elite 4 on my Nuzlocke run.

Team was the following:
Lv 49 Machamp (Porkchop)
Lv 33 Heracross (Cross)
Lv 14 Spearow (Gravy X)
Lv 48 Slowking (Juicy)
Lv 56 Dragonite (Silky)
Lv 41 Gyrados (Sushi)

Pokémon I lost:
Lv 10 Spearow (Gravy) - killed by hoot hoot crit in Bellsprout tower
Lv 5 Togepi (Scrambled) - Sacrificed in a gym leader fight
Lv 12 Exeggcute (Easter) - Killed on switch by Umbreon pursuit
Lv 22 Skiploom (Crispy) - Whitney's Miltank
Lv 22 Chinchou (Lumin) - Killed by koffing self-destruct in rocket hideout
Lv 20 Krabby (Buttery) - Sacrificed
Lv 32 Quilava (Spicy) - One-hit KOed from full health by a delibird...
Yeesh! And you were so close to getting Typholsion too...

BTA

I love Gold, it's the game that gave me my user name "Hiro"
because after playing yellow which clearly starred Ash it never occurred to me to name the new trainer after myself so I went with the best sounding default name.

I know it's weird to quote this weeks later, but wait, was it really a default name?

I also used "Hiro" as a character name in games for a while, starring with Gold. Though my memory of it was mishearing my mom telling me how to spell "Hero", so I input that instead... Huh. Huh.

Velcro Fly

Alright. I now have all 8 Johto badges. I need a 6th pokemon for my team!

Here is my team and relevant moves

1. Politoed (Ice Punch and Surf)
2. Typhlosion (Fire Punch)
3. Ampharos (Thunderpunch)
4. Alakazam (Psychic)
5. Golem (Headbutt, Rock Throw, Magnitude)

Thinking about either a fighting type like Machamp or Kingdra

With Kingdra I may be able to get a Horsea from a RBY file with Ice Beam and trade it over so that it could have Ice Beam on Silver where normally that is a Crystal move tutor move only. Only problem is that is a ton of overlap with Politoed :(

If I don't use Kingdra now I may save that particular idea for a Gold or even Crystal playthrough later on.

22310473_10214650188027116_3380886565897460536_n.jpg

All my team was still in the mid-50s (same team as in the Hall of Fame collage I posted a bit further up) when I decided to take on Red, and for the most part he was still a piece of cake. The only one who gave me any real grief, predictably was Snorlax. I ended up paralyzing him and spamming Flash to make it an easier slog for my Pokémon which could only do slivers of damage at a time.

In any case, it’s been fun. Now I just need to fill up the Pokedex, I’m already at 156 owned so it’s mostly just a matter of evolving ones I already have and eventually trading.

If you're using the Bill Eevee, it's not evolving until Kanto unless you stop progressing through the story until it evolves. Mine evolved after Surge, I then went up to Saffron to get Psychic. So for me, Espeon always knew Psychic.

Yeah no mine evolved at the 8th Badge. You need to consistently give it massages, don't let it faint, and feed it nutrients. Also if you're going for Espeon, wait until after it learns bite, since that move is special in gen 2 and compliments Espeon very well.

Yeah no mine evolved at the 8th Badge. You need to consistently give it massages, don't let it faint, and feed it nutrients. Also if you're going for Espeon, wait until after it learns bite, since that move is special in gen 2 and compliments Espeon very well.

I think he meant the Stone Eeveelutions. I never had problems getting Umbreon / Espeon pre Kanto in G/S.

Cranster

Banned
So does anyone know if the capture rate bug with status changes was fixed? From my understanding the oriignal releases had a catch rate increase of 0 instead of 5 when the said pokemon was burned, frozen, poisoned or paralyzed.

So does anyone know if the capture rate bug with status changes was fixed? From my understanding the oriignal releases had a catch rate increase of 0 instead of 5 when the said pokemon was burned, frozen, poisoned or paralyzed.
It’s the same. Only sleep will work.

Nintendo/Game Freak didn’t fix any bugs for the VC releases. All they changed were lighting effects, recoloring Jynx when necessary to avoid blackface, and in Yellow enabling the surfing Pikachu minigame.

Man, that was a great read - kept me on the edge of the seat! Keep it going! I don't envy you though - you need to reform and train a whole 'nother team? Damn.

Wow, what a crazy read; congratulations! Man, I can't imagine the adrenaline from Lance's battle and the elation at turning a hopeless situation around. Maybe it's corny to say, but you're definitely a true champion after all that!

I also enjoyed your Nuzlocke war story. Good stuff!

I finally beat the game last night...I think I clocked in at about 17 hours. Really enjoyed it! I will likely be doing a Nuzlocke when I get around to finally playing Silver, but I think I'm going to give gen 2 a rest for a bit.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. Heres the next update.

Version: Silver
Badges: 9
Pokemon Dead: 18
Pokemon Owned: 67 (This includes evolutions)

Current Party:
Girafarig (Freed) Level 49
Donphan (Karna) Level 44
Magneton (Volt) Level 40 *NEWLY EVOLVED!*
Staryu (Sloak) Level 23
Raticate (Triss) HM Slave 1
Farfetch'd (Dumass) HM Slave 2

Pokemon in the bank:
Togepi (Eggberta)
Eevee (Debbie)
Exeggcute (Jellina)
Koffing (Teddie)
Sudowoodo (Rocktree)
Shuckle (SHUCKIE the gift Pokemon, I'll rename it if I can)
Poliwag (Tassi)
Krabby (Murky)
Tentacruel (Kist)
Corsola (Korin)
Chinchou (Tater)
Electrode (Sploading)
Golbat (Ila)
Seaking (Docendack)
Ditto (Copycat)
Bellsprout (Alba)
Venomoth (Spree)
Nidorino (Regulas)
Nidorina (Regulass)
Muk (Puddin)

Fallen Pokemon:
Beedrill (Stabi) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Zubat (Sreek) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Pidgeotto (Coco) Died to Machoke (Rock Slide)
Furret (Tren) Died to Poliwrath (Dynamic Punch)
Tentacool (Quotaro) Released due to catching its evolution
Magickarp (Sacrif) Released due to catching its evolution
Kadabra (Vera) Died to Graverler (Selfdestruct)
Graverler (Dudebro) Died to Steelix (Iron Tail)
Paras (Vivina) Died to Piloswine (Icy Wind)
Gyarados (Rashred) Died to Wobbuffet (Mirror Coat)
Gastly (Wizwick) Died to Kingdra (Dragonbreath)
Fearow (Luggins) Died to Pikachu (yes really) (Thunder)
Dodrio (Triface) Died to Machamp (Rock Slide)
Meganium (Stassi) Died to Dragonite (Hyper Beam)
Ampharos (Tsuyana) Died to Dragonite (Hyper Beam)
Slowpoke (Estra) Died to Houndoom (Flamethrower)
Machoke (Chopper) Died to Aerodactyl (Wing Attack)
Gloom (Zonni) Died to Graverler (Magnitude 10) *NEWLY EVOLVED*
Xatu (Xed) Died to Fearow (Pursuit when switching out) *NEWLY EVOLVED*
Ninetails (Kyubi) Died to Weezing (Self destruct crit) *NEW AND NEWLY EVOLVED (SERIOUSLY FML!!)*
Grimer (Sluggie) released due to catching its evolution

Progress Report: Well things haven't been going great to be sure. I've explored a lot of Kanto already hitting all of the towns you can get to before you fix the power plant. I had Donphan just absolutely murder Lt. Surges Gym and getting that badge but my hopes were crestfallen when I realized you don't get the Thunderbolt TM from beating him which my Magneton really fucking needs right now (it still has Thundershock >.<) whats really hurt though is spending time leveling several new team members (Gloom, Xatu, and Ninetails) and losing them all to various forms of bullshit. Gloom's first fight against a Graverler which I thought would 1 shot with Absorb due to double weakness lived with a sliver of hp and then used Magnitude 10 and one shot it.

It got worse with Xatu which I taught Psychic from the TM you get in Saffron and it died almost right after to a Fearow that just read my switch out exactly (he was already at like half HP). Then I spent literal HOURS leveling up this Vulpix to learn Flamethrower, had to get a Fire Stone by catching a Lickitung first to show it to Bills Grandfather (I released it, only used it to get the various stones I needed, I don't really think of it as breaking a rule as its the same kind of thing if you need to use an HM to progress and I don't have a Pokemon that can use it, Nuzlocke rules generally allow you to catch a Pokemon to use the HM you need as long as you don't use it in battle, same thing here) then I evolved it and was pretty happy for awhile, got it to level 35 or 36 before a Weezing 1 shot it with a Slef Destruct crit, I seriously almost gave up the run over that one.

So now I'm working on leveling up Staryu, going to get another Psychic TM from the game corner and give it to him and evolve it and unlearn some of its moves since its basically been my water HM slave to this point. Right now I really only have a team of 3, 4 once I get Staryu leveled and evolved (should be easy to grind in the victory road cave once I get it to a moderate level) but I'm really starting to get limited both on the amount of Pokemon I can still get (I looked up Houndour as fire replacement but I already got my Vulpix on that route >.<) and also type coverage. I have various types still but only thing I can currently get for a fire type is Flareon which is far from ideal, not that I have to have a fire type but just using that as an example (also Slugma if I can actually catch one), I'm exploring my options at this point but I I've basically gone through the best possible replacements for my team in many cases so now I'm trying to make up the difference in other ways...

Either way though... I have a lot of grinding ahead of me.

I finally beat the last gym.Everything leading up to Victory Road was all new to me. I had some familiarity with the Gen 2 games, but this surprised me. Seems they put all the trainers before the cave and didn't have an "all-HM puzzle" like I think Gen 3 did. Fortunately, it's easy to catch up on levels at this point. That Level 40 Kingdra from the last gym was tough, but now I'm heading in with Level 35 starters, Pigeotto, and Waterfall/Whirpool slave Lanturn. I'm probably still really behind for this point. But I'll put up with the struggle.

Top Bottom