• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon is now 18 years old!

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's just like star wars. There are those born before the prequel trilogy and those unfortunate souls born after it.

Yeah no, the Pokémon series quality has remain high during the 18 years and sold well. The Star Wars prequel are garbage because it lacked soul.

Damn I still remember my mom "bribing" me to accompany to one of her conventions by promising me to buy a game. I went to Babbages haha and with my Gamepro in hand, for the reviews, I wanted to select a great game. I saw this new game from Nintendo, Pocket Monsters? Read the review, read what it was about and it genuinely interested me. Best random game find I have ever amde in my life. No regrets, although as I thought then I still want a full fledged console Pokemon RPG.

Nekki

I started playing around 1997 when I got an imported copy of Red. I absolutely loved Squirtle. I still have my copy and my functioning game boy with my 400+ hours of play from back then. One of these days i'm gonna turn it back on and dive into the nostalgia.

Other than that I've played Gold, but didn't get too far. I finished Diamond, which I didn't think was that great, and have come to find interest in the series with X. I know a lot of people say it's more of the same, but, being as I don't play EVERY entry this has got quite a few nice things:

- First time I can actually trade at a good rate, being able to use the internet
- Frist time I get into serious battling, even though I suck and i am still learning most things
- First time i get into breeding.

To me, this game series hasn't lost its magic yet!

The core game design is pretty much the same, but there's nothing wrong with that - I don't see people complaining that the gameplay in, say, 3D Zelda or Mario Kart hasn't changed much. They shouldn't change the core mechanics that millions of people love.

Everything deserves revamps in every sequel!

Totally worked for franchises like Sonic!

Wow..18 years ands not much has changed. I remember playing the heck out of Pokémon Red and that was about it.

Wow.. 18 years and virtually zero changes in game design. It's just in 3D. WOwee..

And don't pull that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' BS.

Nintendo did the same thing with Animal Crossing, but worse. It's on the whole, the same exact game as it was on the Nintendo 64.
Changes since Generation I, ignoring new Pokemon, moves and the retyping of Pokemon and moves. Keep in mind this isn't even everything that has changed over the years. All of this comes from Bulbapedia.

Generation II:
  • The addition of two new types, the Dark and Steel types, to balance out the over-powerful Psychic type and the underused Fighting type.
  • Genders for Pokémon, opening up the ability for two Pokémon to breed.
  • A built-in clock, allowing for in-game events to be affected by the time of day and the days of the week.
  • Shiny Pokémon, which sparkle when brought into battle.
  • Friendship with your Pokemon.
  • Pokémon can now hold items and use them in battle.
  • A special Pokémon virus is introduced that boosts stats and growth.
  • An improved stat system, with the former Special stat being split into Special Attack and Special Defense.
  • The Bag is no longer one 20-item container, but has four separate sections for different items: Normal items, Poké Balls, TMs and HMs, and key items.
  • A key item can be set to and then subsequently accessed with the select button, for convenience on the field.
  • In the previous generation, a Pokémon could gain enough experience to jump straight from one level to another, thus missing out on any moves it could have learned in the levels between. From this generation onwards, if a Pokémon is currently in the battle, it level ups more than once if it gains enough experience to do so, meaning it does not miss any moves it could learn by level up.
  • Rebalancing of the Type Chart.
  • A female choice for the player.
  • Animations for all Pokémon when encountered or when sent from their Poké Balls.

Generation III:
  • Pokémon Abilities which can change the tide of battle or affect out-of-battle gameplay.
  • The Pokémon Storage System has changed from a text-based interface to a full-color graphical user interface.
  • The introduction of Pokémon Contests, where Pokémon show off their style in one of five Contest categories, with Contest stats enhanced by Pokéblocks.
  • Weather conditions, introduced before, can now be found on the field and activate at the start of battle, while one more, hail, has been added.
  • Double Battles, where both sides use two Pokémon at a time, introduced.
  • A complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure; Pokémon now have an individual personality value which can range up to a number above four billion. Abilities and natures, also newly introduced, are determined based on this value, as is a Pokémon's gender, while the IV system has been overhauled for greater variance (0-31 rather than 0-15 as it was before). Shininess is now based on a calculation between the personality value and Original Trainer's Trainer ID number and secret ID number with the same rarity.
  • An overhaul of the Berry system introduced in Generation II: old Berries rejected in favor of Berries which grow individually as plants and can be picked and planted elsewhere. The effects of the first ten new Berries are similar to the ten Generation II Berries.
  • Each Pokémon has its own status screen sprite, for ease of use in the party screen or PC.
  • Wireless communication between games.
  • Tag Battles, where two opponent Trainers encounter the player at once and battle in a Double Battle.
  • The Battle Frontier.
  • The ability to run.

Generation IV:
  • Moves are now designated physical or special based on the move itself, rather than its type. There is also now the category of status that includes moves that do not do direct damage such as Toxic, Recover, and Destiny Bond.
  • Pokémon are now able to be traded and battled over the Internet through the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.
  • A 3D overworld.
  • New and enhanced versions of Pokémon Contests, featuring more rounds and a different appeals process. Poffins are now used to enhance Contest stats, rather than Pokéblocks.
  • The Underground.
  • Some Pokémon now display differences in appearance based on their gender.
  • The ability to record and share battles with other players and in the Battle Frontier over the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Generation V:
  • Triple Battles and Rotation Battles are now a part of gameplay, which are variations of battling like Double Battles.
  • The introduction of dark grass, where Double Battles against wild Pokémon can occur.
  • The introduction of phenomena, occurrences which involve wild Pokémon or items moving and making sounds to indicate their position.
  • The introduction of seasons, which alternate every month.
  • The Poké Mart is now combined with the Pokémon Center.
  • The new Pokémon Global Link, which allows players to connect their games to the internet to view statistics or download some changes to the games, such as the design of the Pokédex.
  • Weather conditions and the current time are now displayed on the bottom screen during battle when making selections as to what to do during the turn.
  • Pokémon battle sprites now animate constantly, rather than simply animating upon exiting a Poké Ball as in previous generations.
  • When a Pokémon is affected by a status ailment, in addition to slowing movement, it also glows a color depending on the status ailment.
  • In international versions of the game, Pokémon names are displayed with only one capital letter, rather than having all capital letters.
  • TMs now have infinite uses, like HMs.
  • The trading process has been upgraded: players may now trade Pokémon directly from their PC boxes, without having to place offered Pokémon in their party first. The Global Terminal also allows players to trade using this method. Furthermore, players can trade outside of the Pokémon Center via infrared.
  • The expansion of key item registration: Multiple items, and even several menu screens, may be registered simultaneously. Pressing the Y button now brings up a quick access menu of the registered commands.
  • Poison no longer inflicts damage outside the battle.
  • The Elite Four no longer have to be battled in a set order.
  • Pokéstar Studios and the Pokémon World Tournament.
  • Challenge Mode and Easy Mode, which raise and lower the NPC opponents' Pokémon's strength, respectively.

Generation VI:
  • The games now feature a completely three dimensional environment, as well as a new 3D battle system with 3D models for Pokémon as opposed to 2D sprites.
  • A new battle mechanic, Mega Evolution, which can only happen during a battle and will wear off once the battle ends. This is only available for certain Pokémon.
  • The ability for the player to walk in an 8 directional grid as opposed to the 4 directional grid that has been common in all the preceding games.
  • A new battle mode called Sky Battles, where only certain Flying-type Pokémon, or those whose Ability is Levitate can participate.
  • Another battle mode called Horde Encounters, where multiple wild Pokémon will engage in a battle against one of the player's Pokémon.
  • The third format is known as an Inverse Battle, which completely reverses type matchups
  • The addition of Super Training, a way to increase a Pokémon's EVs.
  • The addition of customization for the player, with the ability to choose a variety of outfits to wear at any time.
  • Twenty-eight Pokémon from earlier generations receive a 10-point increase in one of their base stats.
  • Pokémon can evolve after a battle even if they are fainted or if the player lost.
  • The addition of a new type, the Fairy type, bringing the total to 18.
  • Rebalancing of the Type Chart again.

TheOGB

Banned
Get off that mountain and take a shower Red, we're goin clubbin
031.gif

Favorite Games: Yellow, Silver, SoulSilver and Black
And here's a list of some of my Bro-Tier 'Mons over the years:
  • Blastoise and Charizard
  • Pidgeot
  • Nidoking and Rhydon
  • Arcanine
  • Typhlosion and Feraligatr
  • Ampharos
  • Skarmory
  • Houndoom
  • Tyranitar
  • Sceptile, Blaziken, and Swampert
  • Aggron
  • Tropius
  • Salamence
  • Metagross
  • Torterra, Infernape, and Empoleon
  • Staraptor
  • Luxray
  • Garchomp
  • Lucario
  • Samurott and Emboar
  • Zebstrika
  • Krookodile and Scrafty, bro-est of broduos
  • Haxorus
  • Braviary
  • Greninja
  • Fletchinder
  • Pangoro
  • Tyrantrum
  • Hawlucha

Yeah no, the Pokémon series quality has remain high during the 18 years and sold well. The Star Wars prequel are garbage because it lacked soul.

I meant those that got to experience the initial frenzy versus those that did not. Unless every pokemon release nowadays is met with the same craze as when I was a kid, back when the cards trended upward and the like.

As I clarified in another response on here. Pokemon games will be fine and do maintain a higher quality. That wasn't at all the point I was trying to make

Mr-Joker

Banned
I meant those that got to experience the initial frenzy versus those that did not. Unless every pokemon release nowadays is met with the same craze as when I was a kid, back when the cards trended upward and the like.

As I clarified in another response on here. Pokemon games will be fine and do maintain a higher quality. That wasn't at all the point I was trying to make

Ah I see, yeah I forgot about the Pokémon craze in gen 1. Many Pokémon cards were stolen back in those day.

Crazyorloco

ArchedThunder, thank you for the list of changes. I played each generation and to me the series gets better and better.

18 years and I love still the games. I remember when I first read about it in nintendo power. The article made me so excited for it to come to the U.S.

My favorite is Crystal, but from what I've played of X I think I'm going to have a new favorite soon.

My Favorite pokemon are suicune, mewtwo, and blastoise.

Changes since Generation I, ignoring new Pokemon, moves and the retyping of Pokemon and moves. Keep in mind this isn't even everything that has changed over the years. All of this comes from Bulbapedia.

Thanks for this. Pokemon has changed, while the core look and feel has remained the same.

What do you guys think of the series? Any favourite Pokémon? Favourite games? Cool memories?

It's good! DIdn't touch it till White 2 (it came out originally when I was OUT OF COLLEGE). It does what it needs and they've largely done a good job of keeping that multifacetedness going, while making money hand over fist of course.

Aurorus, Krokorok, Gogoat, Jolteon, Aegislash, Koffing, Ledian, and Sawsbuck.

Only played 2.

Picking up two Shiny pokes in the space of one in-game hour.

TaiKH92

Banned
My favorite pokemon:

1.-Charizard
2.-Salamence
3.-Arcanine
4.-Alakazam
5.-Lucario

Favorite pokemon game: Pokémon Platinum

Top Bottom