• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon: Let's Go Review Thread

AlexxKidd

3462057-pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-review-thumb-nologo.jpg

Catch them all, Poke-fans! Thanks to the kind folks at r/games for compiling most of the list.

Metacritic - 82 Open Critic - 82

Reviews

Areajugones - Víctor Rodríguez - Spanish - 8.7 / 10.0

In spite of the fact that the expectations weren't high after the first trailers, Pokémon: Let's Go is able to result, not only a really good remake of Pokémon Red/Green, but the biggest step forward in the franchise. Definitely one of the biggest and greatest surprises of 2018!

Daily Mirror - Matthew Osborn - 4 / 5 stars

There is a lot to do in the game even when you beat all the gyms and will take you by surprise if you expected it to be a watered down version of the Pokemon Games, but they have really created a game for all players.

The Gen 1 only thing is a slight niggle in the side, but is easily let it go considering how well the game performs overall.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 7.5 / 10.0

I can't believe it took Game Freak over 20 years to give us an RPG-oriented console Pokémon game, but with the ever-changing mobile landscape and the success of the Switch, the opportunity finally presented itself. No, Let's Go is not the mainline entry that EV/IV min-maxers hoped for, but that's still on the way. If you happen to miss this return to Kanto, that's perfectly fine, but I was mostly delighted to go back.

Eurogamer - Chris Tapsell - Recommended

Still, important as looks may be to the world of Pokémon, as much as it has its quirks, as much as it can be uneven - how I wish, at times, that it would stop trying to be cute and just let the world do the talking, instead of flying straight past cute and into excessively twee, as it often does - Let's Go has succeeded almost everywhere else. Miraculously, I think it works, for both the little one curled up in that back seat and this big one, who really wishes he didn't have to drive.

FNintendo - Sérgio Mota - Portuguese - 7 / 10

Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! bring a new approach to the Pokémon series that makes these twin games more accessible to a broader audience, as well as a series of new and welcome features to the gameplay, including an interesting cooperative mode. All aspirations are not satisfied, however, as online gameplay is too limited, the motion controls included lose interest fast and the challenge is overall below that of other Pokémon games, but that does not mean these are not two well-executed works that will certainly bring some hours of fun and involvement to players new and old.

Hobby Consolas - Elisabeth López - Spanish - 89 / 100

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! are a clear example that it's possible to reinvent yourself modifying the essence with novelties such as the direct capture of wild Pokémon, even improve it, offering a much more accessible game experience capable of satisfying new and veterans players.

IGN - Miranda Sanchez - 8.3 / 10

The Pokemon Go catching system is a more relaxing way to fill out the Pokedex and grind for experience, and I never felt like I was missing out on battles because of it. Kanto is littered with charismatic trainers ready to fight. Some irritating UI design and issues with its motion controls add up to be a minor annoyance, but the addicting capture cycle and great challenges in the post-game keep me coming back to play.

IGN Spain - David Soriano - Spanish - 7.5 / 10.0

Good Pokémon debut on Nintendo Switch. However, the casual mechanics to attract users of Pokémon Go seems to us to play against being valiant and take a leap of quality according to the possibilities of the new machine.

Kotaku - Gita Jackson - No score

There is very little new or novel about Pokémon Let’s Go! Eevee and Pikachu. Even the divisive new mechanics are cribbed from Pokémon Go. In the end, I don’t feel like that matters. It’s still Pokémon. It’s still a story about learning who you are and what you’re capable of, still a chance to become emotionally connected to the creatures who help you on that journey.

Nintendo Enthusiast - Aric Sweeny - 7 / 10.0

The Pokemon die-hards, especially those infatuated with generation one, will find a lot to love in Pokemon: Let’s Go Eevee.

Nintendo Life - Ryan Craddock - 8 / 10

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! are beautiful reimaginings of a video game classic, updating a 20-year-old game in ways which make it infinitely more accessible and user-friendly for a modern audience, while keeping the magic first discovered all those years ago. On the downside, the newly-introduced motion control mechanic is fun but flawed, forcing us to shift from one play style to another to get the best experience, and while efforts have been made to bring the game up to the standard of more recent entries when it comes to depth and complexity, hardcore fans may consider the whole experience too much of a cakewalk. Still, the game does a superb job of striking a balance between being an easy route of entry for newcomers to the series and offering just enough post-game challenge and competitive play elements (and nostalgia, of course) to please series veterans; as a result, these new titles really do offer something for everyone, which can't always be said of the mainline Pokémon entries. They might not be an absolute masterpiece, but we'd urge any Poké-fans out there to give these ones a go – if a Let's Go Johto sequel is on the cards, we'll happily be there waiting in line.

Telegraph - Tom Hoggins - 4 / 5 stars

Hot off the rip-roaring success of Pokémon Go, the mobile app that had kids of all ages prowling the streets in search of the cutesy pocket monsters, here is the Switch console's Pokémon Let's Go.

Wccftech - Dave Aubrey - 8.8 / 10.0

My nostalgia for this series is strong and could've destroyed the fun I had with Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, but instead galvanised it. This is the classic original generation of Pokémon, but it looks better, plays better, and feels incredibly refreshing. Pokémon on Nintendo Switch isn't just a Pokémon GO companion piece, it's a fantastic RPG in its own right, and with any luck, will spawn its own series of Pokémon games for the future. A great Pokémon game for veterans and newcomers. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Pokédex to complete.

--

Can't wait to play? Quench your thirst with the excellent Detective Pikachu trailer.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Man i don't know i mainly play on handheld only mode.

And i fing hate motion crap.
I am afraid how severe the handholding is.
Sun and moon was terrible.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Man i don't know i mainly play on handheld only mode. And i fing hate motion crap. I am afraid how severe the handholding is. Sun and moon was terrible.

As far as I understand, you can press a button to catch the Pokémon, but you still need to move the Switch around to find it, which still kinda blows. Or leave the Switch on a flat surface so that the Pokémon is automatically on the screen. Still, if you didn't like the handholding in Sun and Moon, this really isn't gonna be your cup of tea.

I enjoyed Sun and Moon (much more so than X + Y) but this is just too far in the other direction for me. Also a really awkward release week. Maybe on sale next year.

Akuza89

I too play mainly in handheld mode... looking at the video of the guy who has an early copy it launches asking which controller style your using and handheld mode is an option...

so we can only hope it allows you to play it similar to a classic pokemon game!

Regardless I am picking this up this Friday, the eevee edition (decided by my other half since I couldn't decide!) can't wait to give it a go.

Fbh

About as expected. Most reviews are taking it for what it is: an even more casual pokemon game for younger and/or casual audiences, and it seems to succeed as such.
Personally though I still have zero interest in this. The biggest addition I've been wanting since like gen 2 is an optional hard mode and this seems to go in the complete opposite direction.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
About as expected. Most reviews are taking it for what it is: an even more casual pokemon game for younger and/or casual audiences, and it seems to succeed as such.
Personally though I still have zero interest in this. The biggest addition I've been wanting since like gen 2 is an optional hard mode and this seems to go in the complete opposite direction.

Out of curiosity, how would you handle a hard mode? I've always wondered this. Better opponent AI? Team size limit? Luck imbalance? Damage imbalance?

Codes 208

80+ isnt bad for a spin-off. Especially after how so-so sun and moon felt. Great reviews though, im looking forward to the midnight release on thursday

As far as im aware, it still works decently in handheld, instead of motion control you time a button press or flick it or something.

As for tutorials: it is a remake of yellow so i doubt the handholding goes much further than viridian forest.

Last edited:

AV

As for tutorials: it is a remake of yellow so i doubt the handholding goes much further than viridian forest.

I think he's more on about the general easiness of the game, from things we've already seen like the Lt. Surge gym puzzle. That thing is ridiculous.

Codes 208

Out of curiosity, how would you handle a hard mode? I've always wondered this. Better opponent AI? Team size limit? Luck imbalance? Damage imbalance?
i cant speak for him personally, but imo
realistically it would like be a level change. Trainers and gyms seeing an increase and may have a more aggressive playstyle.

Otherwise if it was up to fans: Nuzlocke rules. Pokemon faints, it dies. You can only catch the first one you see in each area. No legendaries. No revives.

Last edited:

TitanNut88

I think this game has to be considered the way it is: a remake of the first games. For me, that I only played to Gold/Silver in a GB (and some of the others in an emulator), it is not a bad thing. Let's see how it ends up being.

Fbh

Well I'm no game designer and it would need testing.
But in my mind it's always been: Better opponent AI (specially for gym leaders and the elite 4), increase the level of trainer pokemon (I'd also look into a limited form of scaling) and maybe altering/reworking the moveset of trainer pokemon (specially gym leaders and the elite 4) also limit the amount of items I can use.

I wouldn't want it to be super hardcore or extremely hard or anything. Putting pointless grinding in there would also suck. But I wish battles would feel more like a challenge, I'd be cool that I actually needed to think about my team composition instead of just being able to destroy everyone with basically any 6 pokemon that I want

Last edited:

Codes 208

Holy shit i just noticed ign gave this a better review than or/as

I guess it has just the right amount of water lol

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

only review yet that actually reviews the game from a pokemon fan standpoint.
fuck modern reviewers suck hard

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I would improve opponent AI, limit EXP (you can only train Pokémon via fights with other trainers until you have beaten the Elite Four), more difficult puzzles in gyms and dungeons, remove critical hits, remove free Pokémon exchange after an enemy's Pokémon is defeated.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mmm, the positive reviews are encouraging. This looks like the Pokemon Stadium standard console mainline Pokemon I’ve always wanted. I think I’ll get it.

seph1roth

I'm slightly hyped for this game, i hace preordered the Eevee versión + Pokeball Plus.

I'm not a Pkmn fan, only played Red and Silver when they launched, but i'm a regular Go player since 2016.

I've had every Nintendo portable console since GameBoy, but due to this Let's Go thing, i'm extremely hyped for Gen 8 Next year.

The game was made only to atract new players and old ones that abandoned the saga years ago, and i think this game will do his job very well, It's simplified...yes, because it's a spinoff, not a true new Gen entry.

With that said, i think It's unfair to compare It with a real gen entry, because It's aimed to a different and more casual audience, but in a good way.

Again, this game makes me hyped about the 2019 entry, and knowing that i skipped every single Pkmn game since Silver/Gold, TPC and Nintendo nailed the strategy with me imho.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Hoping it doesn't sell too well, the Pokemon games have been dropping in quality since Gen VI and Gamefreak spreading their resources thin isn't a good look. Thank fuck this the last thing Masuda has large involvement in.

Jubenhimer

I think the reviews for this thing tell us one thing. This is a pretty good starting point for the series if you view it as a self-contained Gaiden game. So many Pokemon fans can't seem to tear away from the mentality that this is all we're going to get for Pokemon on Switch, when the game we were actually promised, is still on track for next year.

Ivellios

This game seems to bring good QoL improvements, but i dont like the new capture controls nor the easier difficult

I can't WAIT until this game comes out.

This could very easily be the release that kills Pokemon.

If you dont like pokémon, just dont buy the games. If this was a joke/sarcasm sorry.

Vawn

Banned
If you dont like pokémon, just dont buy the games. If this was a joke/sarcasm sorry.

He's a troll who bashes everything Nintendo. He was banned already, but can't help himself and apparently wants to get perma-banned.

Fbh

only review yet that actually reviews the game from a pokemon fan standpoint.
fuck modern reviewers suck hard

Good review. Would have been nice if they made some adjustments for Coop though, it was the one new feature I actually found exciting but it sounds like it makes this already easier version of the game even easier.

Aside from that it actually seems like it might be a fun pickup after a price drop....oh wait, it's a Nintendo game.

Akuza89

Just an FYI for anyone on the fence, you can play it quite similar to a traditional Pokemon but only in handheld mode...like this video says

Hopefully they will patch in pro controller support later on down the line.

I'd imagine it's because of the pokeball controller they want to sell off first....since most reviewers are calling it "awkward" and "confusing at times". While I wouldn't mind a pokeball controller it's more for ornamental purposes than actually using it...

Last edited:
I think Im going to get this. I have gotten tired of the grind with random wild encounters. This sounds like a fresh change.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think this game has to be considered the way it is: a remake of the first games. For me, that I only played to Gold/Silver in a GB (and some of the others in an emulator), it is not a bad thing. Let's see how it ends up being.

agree. This is like Crash HD or Spyro reignited or any of the dozen or so other HD remakes we have seen this generation.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Those reviews Kind of read like “ why isn’t this game catering to me as an adult?”

Conspiracy about Nintendo paying reviewers already making rounds.

I'll likely pass on it. Not a fan of the style they are going for, art or mechanical. Then Again I only really get Pokemon games cheap and I skipped the last one.

BANGS

Banned
Bananas in the tail pipe.

(like 4 people will get that joke)
giphy.gif

But yeah honestly, I don't think it's Nintendo paying off anyone, it's just the typical Nintendo handicap every reviewer gives them. A solid 8? It's a 9.5... A shitty 6? It's a 7.5... A really great game but with a ton of glaring flaws? Perfect 10...

Nintendo games are always reviewed like this...

They probably just made the host at the front door uncomfortable with a very private issue.
EveryWhiteGroundbeetle-small.gif

Last edited:
giphy.gif

But yeah honestly, I don't think it's Nintendo paying off anyone, it's just the typical Nintendo handicap every reviewer gives them. A solid 8? It's a 9.5... A shitty 6? It's a 7.5... A really great game but with a ton of glaring flaws? Perfect 10...

Nintendo games are always reviewed like this...

Yeah but after so many years you would think everyone would change things around to be even across the board across all companies. Well outside IGN.

Sakura

Can't decide if I want to buy this or not. I generally like Pokemon and would like a console experience, but I've already played Yellow before and I am afraid the game just wouldn't feel fresh enough.
Is it essentially just the same game with better graphics? I read a couple reviews and the changes didn't seem that significant.

I think Victor should go check himself out with his physician to make sure everything is fine before things start falling off on the man.

Especially after being thrown out by a window. Which the cops think he jumped out the window for fun. the cops must be on drugs.

Can't decide if I want to buy this or not. I generally like Pokemon and would like a console experience, but I've already played Yellow before and I am afraid the game just wouldn't feel fresh enough.
Is it essentially just the same game with better graphics? I read a couple reviews and the changes didn't seem that significant.

it's a mist between old games but with features and changes to grab the attention of pokemon go players. it's different enough just not the kind a core fan would like such as yourself given your pokemon avatar.

Edit: Oh you don't have a pokemon avatar, I though the hair was a hat for some reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom