• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon lore can be very dark and disturbing (or, How TPC killed off Pikachu today)

magikarp_food.jpg

Crabrawler's description in the official site mentions that it's pincers are delicious, so this isn't all that far off.

ricard0388

Neo Member
BTW Pokémon has been always pretty dark, the thing is that the anime show is anything but what Pokémon games and the Pkmn Adventures manga really are.

Most of people think that the games are based in the "family friendly anime show", smh.

Richie

Pokedex entries can be really fucking weird. Most of it is completely unacknowledged in the gameplay and story, that I feel weird calling it lore.

Considering the amount of downright impossible BS that's in a lot of these entries, I believe that, in-universe, there's two Pokédex; one destined for the young'uns that amounts to a bunch of campfire story nonsense, and then the actual, much more boring-yet-accurate Pokédex adults use. Since your player in the Pokémon games is a kid we never see the other one.

Neiteio

Probably not, it doesn't look or act anything like a hagfish.

It does resemble a long-nosed chimaera.

http://6336-presscdn-26-82.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/pacific-spookfish.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Hagfish worm their way into the bodies of dead or dying sea life, extracting their fluids.

They're also eel-like, similar to Gorebyss and its parallel evolution Hunttail.

Neiteio

Sabrina was pretty creepy in the anime. Was going to make people live out their life in a dollhouse.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/cb/30/46/cb30466af5794d51b151955e1628928e.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I remember this was pretty fucked up. Why was Sabrina doing this to people?

I know they resolve it somehow at the end. But she still committed unlawful imprisonment... arguably attempted murder... Why's she running a gym!

Don't forget the OG Creepy 'Mon:

It carries a pendulum-like device. There once was an incident in which it took away a child it hypnotized.

Wait, humans are pokemon? :O

Sinnoh went one step past that:

"Sinnoh Folk Story 1"

Pick clean the bones of Pokémon
caught in the sea or stream.
Thank them for the meals they
provide, and pick their bones clean.
When the bones are as clean as can
be, set them free in the water from
which they came.
The Pokémon will return, fully
fleshed, and it begins anew.

"Sinnoh Folk Story 2"

There lived a Pokémon in a forest.
In the forest, the Pokémon shed its
hide to sleep as a human.
Awakened, the human dons the
Pokémon hide to roam villages.

"Sinnoh Folk Story 3"

There once were Pokémon that
became very close to humans.
There once were humans and Pokémon
that ate together at the same table.
It was a time when there existed no
differences to distinguish the two.

Molemitts

Considering the amount of downright impossible BS that's in a lot of these entries, I believe that, in-universe, there's two Pokédex; one destined for the young'uns that amounts to a bunch of campfire story nonsense, and then the actual, much more boring-yet-accurate Pokédex adults use. Since your player in the Pokémon games is a kid we never see the other one.

Yeah, I figured that a lot of it is just the Pokemon equivalent of urban myths or folk tales. Which is weird since the Pokedex is meant to scientific research or something? So I guess your idea would solve that, ha ha.

Toxi

Banned
Hagfish worm their way into the bodies of dead or dying sea life, extracting their fluids.

They're also eel-like, similar to Gorebyss and its parallel evolution Hunttail.
Nah, they just eat the insides. They don't suck out fluids like a mosquito or lamprey.

This is what a hagfish's mouth looks like.

17-scientistsfi.jpg

Huntail seems to be based on a gulper/pelican eel, with the lure on its tail, bioluminescent markings, and big mouth.

Gengahrrr

The OG ghost pokemon line are the originators of pokemon killing people for fun.

250px-092Gastly.png

Its body is made of gas. Despite lacking substance, it can envelop an opponent of any size and cause suffocation.

250px-093Haunter.png

Its tongue is made of gas. If licked, its victim starts shaking constantly until death eventually comes.

and the OG asshole pokemon...

250px-094Gengar.png

Lurking in the shadowy corners of rooms, it awaits chances to steal its prey's life force.

The leer that floats in darkness belongs to a Gengar delighting in casting curses on people.

Anbec7

I don't know if this will show up but...

Shedinja’s hard body doesn’t move—not even a twitch. In fact, its body appears to be merely a hollow shell. It is believed that this Pokémon will steal the spirit of anyone peering into its hollow body from its back.

""Oh look at that-- dead"

PSqueak

Banned
OH BOY! It's that time again!

-Drowsee and hypno kidnap children
-Gothorita turns children into her meat puppets for her own amusement at night
-Jynx can hypnotize humans by wiggling her butt
-Gardevoir can create small blackholes to dispose of things that endanger their trainers
-Yamask is the spirit of dead humans, they carry masks with the visage of their human selves
-Drifloon and it's evo, as well as Spiritomb, are made of both pokemon and human souls
-Gothitelle knows when their trainers will die and cry a lot about it
-The stump and the tree pokemon are spirits of children who died lost in forests
-That new sea cucumber pokemon dies when food in the surrounding area is depleated because it won't move to other areas
-Cofragigus likes to encase and mummify people within itself
-If sproinks ever stops bouncing, their hearts stop

Strimei

Shedinja’s hard body doesn’t move—not even a twitch. In fact, its body appears to be merely a hollow shell. It is believed that this Pokémon will steal the spirit of anyone peering into its hollow body from its back.

Even better, as its trainer, you're always looking at its back.

Kinokou

"Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey’s body and drains the prey of its body fluids." — AlphaSapphire pokedex entry

368Gorebyss.png

Based on the real-life hagfish

Seems to be a gen 3 things, since also this innocent looking thing is some kind of vampire:

250px-267Beautifly.png

Pearl and Diamond entries: When flower fields bloom, it flits around, collecting pollen. Despite its appearance, it is savage. It has an aggressive nature. It stabs prey with its long, narrow mouth to drain the prey's fluids.

Chase17

I remember this was pretty fucked up. Why was Sabrina doing this to people?

I know they resolve it somehow at the end. But she still committed unlawful imprisonment... arguably attempted murder... Why's she running a gym!
Something about turning her mom into a doll made her emotionless. Runs a gym to get more power. Then when ash loses she takes brock and misty too. But once she Haunter makes her laugh everything is ok.

It did lead to this gem though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHJCs3S9Lc

So does fighting cooks, fish, dogs, etc... Those animals aren't randomly picked to fight, and that they're programmed by their genes or trained to like it doesn't make it any better!

The repercussions to Pokemon fighting in the Pokemon universe isn't nearly on par to that of the real life equivalents that people normally compare it to. I always thought drawing those relations as if they are seriously just as bad as each other was kinda silly, though I suspect most people do so at least somewhat jokingly.

Neiteio

Shedinja is such a brilliant concept and design, from its 1HP made feasible via Wonder Guard, to the fact you attain it by literally leaving a spot open in your party when its pre-evo sheds its skin

PSqueak

Banned
The repercussions to Pokemon fighting in the Pokemon universe isn't nearly on par to that of the real life equivalents that people normally compare it to. I always thought drawing those relations as if they are seriously just as bad as each other was kinda silly, though I suspect most people do so at least somewhat ironically.

Pretty much this, games imply that pokemon fighting each other is basically a form of playing, very few entries actually imply actual hostility between pokemon or pokemon species being prey to others.

I love that the fire anteater pokemon is described in its entry as to have developed fire specifically to eat the steel ant pokemon.

L95

I always thought it was interesting when small events in the games reflect info in the pokedex, I recall some of the creepier dex entries being brushed off as folklore in forums every now and then, but then I remember the little girl with a litwcik in BW2 that vanishes after beating her in a battle :p

Granted, she just went back to the pokemon center because she was really tired, so her Litwick didn't kill her for now

Real Hero

Shedinja is such a brilliant concept and design, from its 1HP made feasible via Wonder Guard, to the fact you attain it by literally leaving a spot open in your party when its pre-evo sheds its skin
Yeah this and finding the regis were so cook back in the day

Rafavert

My favourite is always Banette.

250px-354Banette.png

A doll that became a Pokémon over its grudge from being junked. It seeks the child that disowned it.

Banette generates energy for laying strong curses by sticking pins into its own body. This Pokémon was originally a pitiful plush doll that was thrown away.

DylanEno

Eh, that's just an example of survival of the fittest. Pokemon gotta eat, too. And that Pikachu looked delicious.

Nothing will ever come as close to fucked up as Shedinja...

250px-292Shedinja.png

...who steals your soul if you look at its back.

Top Bottom