• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Moon and Sun leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad.T

Banned
Odd thought, but what if the two versions are split between consoles? Sun being for 3DS and Moon being for mobile?

I assume not, as they wouldn't want to cannibalize "GO" sales, but if that somehow happens, would people go ballistic?

Seil

I bet most who played it as a kid have the complete opposite impression of that generation than you, I know I do

I played it as a kid, loved it as a kid, but recognize it has a ton of flaws now. Even in HGSS the level curve was pretty bad. HGSS had a lot of great content to stand on, though. GS was cool at the time, but in hindsight isn't great. Even ignoring distribution and level curve, Kanto feels tacked on and lifeless.

That doesn't take away from the wow factor at the time, especially as a kid, but I'm not gonna let nostalgia blind me.

ghibli99

Kalos has the best dex, quality over quantity. Everything from the starters to the fossils and to the legendaries were awesomely designed and you could see how much care and thought were put into them.

Unova has the best story, the characters are well developed, and it was ace they incorporated the gym leaders and treat them as the hyped up machines they're meant to be.

Sinnoh has the best atmosphere, so chilled out and relaxing. Everything from the beautiful, historical, rugged landscape to the Jazz influenced music helps it accomplish this.

Hoenn has the best sense of adventure, you travel the most diverse landscape, including rain forests, deserts, oceans, and volcanoes. The music is triumphant, and besting your dad gives you that sense of progress.

Johto has the best progress between instalments, it took everything that made gen 1 big and made it bigger. It added so many staples to the series, and was what a sequel should be.

Kanto started it all. Personally, I don't find it all too appealing these days compared the other gens. It just doesn't match up, it's region is boring fields and similar looking towns. The Pokemon look bland in comparison to the newer ones, and everything else it had other regions do better, but it did start it all, and I'm grateful for that.
Great post, and I love that you focus on the positives. So much damned negativity around here, so this to me is quite refreshing. Gotta single it out, but I totally agree with you about Kalos... it's what made me fall in love with Pokemon in the first place (I was a late bloomer, but have since buffed up my series knowledge). X was my very first Pokemon game, and it had a profound impact on me, truly making me appreciate their designs. I love Amaura's design so much too, and one day... maybe one day I'll get myself a shiny.

Sheroking

I don't want another Gen 2, it was awful. The Pokemon distribution was so bad that it lead to Johto Pokemon being overshadowed by Kanto ones, both the regions were barebones and uninteresting and the level curve was complete and utter fucking shit.

Putting Kanto and Johto in one game was a mistake that I hope isn't repeated again.

This is a good post for opposite day.

Most people feel completely the opposite. I think Gen 2 is the best by a massive margin.

I'll give you another hint:

It was the place where you could purify your pokemons while walking endlessly, a glitch on the corner of that edge.

I liked them too, played a lot.
Oh I remember finding out about this when I was younger

This is a good post for opposite day.

Most people feel completely the opposite. I think Gen 2 is the best by a massive margin.

Really? I see people hating on Gen 2 all the time. For me, it's my least favorite Gen.
But I did love HGSS, don't get me wrong.

Mestizo

pray tell what is worse with Sinnoh

really enjoyed Mt. Coronet, as it gives the whole "split region" feel and has a really great exploration on it

the only bad thing I can say about it is the reliance on HMs.

Mind you I am solely talking about the cartography / region design.

Same for me, but i think Hoenn is a great region too, the only difference is that R/Z (story and new pokemon) sucks while D/P has a decent storyline and better pokemon (hated at times because the excessive number of evolutions of old pokemons, but for me most of them were great adds).

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Man, imagine this being fake. Trademarking with a logo and registering a domain is on a whole 'nother level.

Type40

I don't want another Gen 2, it was awful. The Pokemon distribution was so bad that it lead to Johto Pokemon being overshadowed by Kanto ones, both the regions were barebones and uninteresting and the level curve was complete and utter fucking shit.

Putting Kanto and Johto in one game was a mistake that I hope isn't repeated again.

Gen 2 was the last good Pokemon Gen, except Mudkip.

Crocodile

LOL @ Nintendo if this leak is true

Kalos has the best dex, quality over quantity. Everything from the starters to the fossils and to the legendaries were awesomely designed and you could see how much care and thought were put into them.

Unova has the best story, the characters are well developed, and it was ace they incorporated the gym leaders and treat them as the hyped up machines they're meant to be.

Sinnoh has the best atmosphere, so chilled out and relaxing. Everything from the beautiful, historical, rugged landscape to the Jazz influenced music helps it accomplish this.

Hoenn has the best sense of adventure, you travel the most diverse landscape, including rain forests, deserts, oceans, and volcanoes. The music is triumphant, and besting your dad gives you that sense of progress.

Johto has the best progress between instalments, it took everything that made gen 1 big and made it bigger. It added so many staples to the series, and was what a sequel should be.

Kanto started it all. Personally, I don't find it all too appealing these days compared the other gens. It just doesn't match up, it's region is boring fields and similar looking towns. The Pokemon look bland in comparison to the newer ones, and everything else it had other regions do better, but it did start it all, and I'm grateful for that.

Great post <3

I mean you're not wrong on a lot of these points but that doesn't change the fact that Johto + Kanto in one game was MIND-BLOWING at the time. Even for the sacrifices made in other respects, that was 100% the right choice.

Yes it is.

HG/SS in particular are some of (if not the) best games in the series. Sorry you don't like Gen II.

He's obviously talking about the original Gold and Silver games not the remakes. The level curve and the Pokemon distribution WAS fucked in that game. That didn't mean the game wasn't super enjoyable but there were some serious flaws.

Velcro Fly

Gen 2 was fun, but the level curve was terrible. I thought that as a kid too. It felt like once you reached mid 30s, nothing else went beyond that and you were fighting things that were mid 30s for the rest of the game.

And really with only so many pokemon to draw on and the regions being right next to each other, it's only natural to have Kanto pokemon available in Johto.

Sciz

Gen 2 Kanto is so dreadfully boring that it should be counted as a negative against the game.

If this is going to pull the same trick, they desperately need to make sure the recycled content isn't just an enormous postgame wasteland.

JoeM86

And Pokemon-SunMoon.com is also registered by Nintendo of America and currently redirects to Pokemon.com

But again, it was after the leak and it's easy to fake the registrar

GamerJM

Banned
I had no idea that was a thing.

Me either. But I also remember spending a lot of time at that area for some reason :x.

Man I played Colosseum such a long time ago.

Also gen 2 is fantastic IMO, but the level curve and Johto being small are legit problems. It's just that they're not enough to bring the game itself down. Everything else; the atmosphere, the novelty of having two regions in one game, the new Pokemon (yes even if Kanto Pokemon overwhelmed them, they still complimented the original 151 extremely well as a group in total), the MUSIC, etc. was amazing.

I seriously doubt N3DS's added memory would fix the framerate for fucking high polygon models

Well forcing Pokémon X/Y and ORAS into 804mhz with enabled L2 cache mode via CFW already improves the performance massively on a new 3DS, I can only imagine how well they would run if they would be natively optimized for this :eek:

Red Devil

And Pokemon-SunMoon.com is also registered by Nintendo of America and currently redirects to Pokemon.com

But again, it was after the leak and it's easy to fake the registrar

Weren't there names that got trademarked that are still unused? I recall the same thing happening with Pokémon names.

Mestizo

Great summary, but i never feel a jazz influenced music in Gen IV, i always saw it as a great electronic experimentation, an exception in the pokemon soundtracks

Mortemis

Banned
Damn, just saw this. Potentially a new gen already, without a third X/Y game? I kinda thought we'd get another gen on the 3DS before TPC moved on to a new gen (they rarely jump into a new gen quickly I believe). Not this early though.

Brofield

hqdefault.jpg

Best spot ever.

The console games were pretty fun, albeit short all things considered. The shadow mechanic was cool but I think it helped me realize that if a Pokemon Console RPG happened, it would have to be more than the collect 8 badges/beat elite 4 and team [evil] template ported from the handhelds.

Also throwback to when I named the girl after my elementary school crush who also had red hair

Looking through all the pictures of references in X and Y about the Sun and Moon, I am sure these games will still be gen 6 and will basically be a a pokemon Z. Especially that bit I heard about the two zygarde cores powering up with the moon and sun respectively.

Edit: actually this is false info. Nevertheless, there are still many references to sun and moon in X and Y, such as the sundial and moondial.

Oh, so we might be into something here. Tsk, I wasn't expecting anything important for tomorrow.

the announcements regarding pokemon that tend to make the average gaffer go "lol it's fucking nothing" are typically things that just get mentioned in japanese magazines, or in the case of spinoff games, by being namedropped in large directs. it's pretty unusual for there to be a pokemon dedicated direct. i applaud you thinking calmly about things instead of going full-hypetrain at the first opportunity, but this was actually a time where the odds of something interesting were actually pretty high from the get-go.

Hit the nail on the head

Seil

Looking through all the pictures of references in X and Y about the Sun and Moon, I am sure these games will still be gen 6 and will basically be a a pokemon Z. Especially that bit I heard about the two zygarde cores powering up with the moon and sun respectively.

That last part was confirmed BS, they both get energy from the sun.

But yeah, it's a weird situation all around.

In favor of Gen VI:

1) There are two more IDs reserved for the pentagon mark, associated with Gen VI

2) We have new formes for a Gen VI legendary.

3) We have an unreleased Gen VI mythical with a movie coming up.

Oddities:

1) We have an entirely new Pokemon revealed that isn't in Gen VI data.

2) These names are completely unrelated to XY.

---

I know there are more that I've thought of but aren't coming to mind at the moment x.x It'd be strange to have entirely new Pokemon, not just formes, within the same generation. But it'd also be strange to be moving to a new generation with things as they are.

Yes it is.

HG/SS in particular are some of (if not the) best games in the series. Sorry you don't like Gen II.
No, he's right. The level curve in gen 2 was pretty mindboggling and I'm surprised HGSS did nothing to fix it. It makes the games the worst when it comes to grinding, especially when wild Pokemon are really underlevelled by the endgame. It gets to the point where I typically reach Red with only lv.40's (and a BUNCH of items). A lot of gen 2 Pokemon are also really rare or only available in Kanto.

i'm gonna be hopelessly refreshing this thread all day, haha. glad the direct is so early tomorrow.

Wow what. This is the first time I am reading this opinion. =/

it makes me sad that half the gen 2 pokemon are impossible to catch til after the elite four, and that the level curve has a giant dip in the middle of the game. I know it's for worldbuilding purposes, but it hurt the gameplay.

Azuran

Banned
Yes it is.

Being locked out from using a large amount of JOHTO Pokemon until you reached Kanto is so great. Let's not also forget they were all severely underleved and needed serious grinding to be usable by that point in the game... which is impossible to do considering every trainer and wild Pokemon are also under leveled in that game.

GS had a terrible distribution and level curve. Those are 100% facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom