• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Moon and Sun leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

Late prediction: I expect a new region. One that ties in with Kalos, and makes them have a common past. Basically a whole region that acts as missing puzzle piece for the questions that we have about Kalos.

Not the best prediction, but considering that they are likely trying to do something completely new, that would be my first guess.

DedValve

Banned
Maybe "Z team" got to develop a new gen while XY team have been working on Nx

I doubt B team would be given work on a new gen. And assuming every other mainline title is B team then wouldn't it be A teams turn?

X/Y = A team
ORAS = B team
Moon/Sun = A team

mStudios

One hour and a half

SoulUnison

Banned
No, they're bad because your solution to the game is 'wait arbitrary amount of time'. That's not a better solution and it's worse than the current implementation. Therefore it's a bad idea.

If you really want to hatch them without the work, just hatch eggs while doing other stuff in game. They aren't going anywhere, and there's no rush to have to hatch them.

Maybe I don't see why you'd have any problem though because I just stop playing a game once the only thing left to do is boring, rather than run in circles or whatever you were doing.

The fact is you don't need a smartphone app or whatever to do what you're implying. The 3ds has a clock and pedometer anyway, if they wanted that to be how you get Pokémon hatched you could do it entirely in game/ on the 3ds anyway without needing a second device, so again, bad idea.

Except I don't carry my 3DS around with e literally everywhere I go, and even if I did, popping it open, starting the game, loading my save and going to check the day care is a pretty lengthy process compared to just grabbing my phone out of my pocket and checking the theoretical "Day Care" app.

At some point there *isn't* anything else to do in game while hatching eggs, I've already cleared all possible post-game content, and because you need to be "taking steps" to advance the egg timer you're actually being penalized for doing anything except just walking around blindly.

I *want* to play the Pokemon games longer than I do, and breeding your own perfect Mons is one of the draws, but the process itself is dated and un-fun. If there was a streamlined way to breed Pokemon and interact with the Bank without having to drag my 3DS around with me and out every single time I want to check something, I'd still be playing Y and OR to this day, but the absolute grind of breeding means every time I try to get back into it I just fall asleep, instead.

With Pokemon GO! on the horizon I see absolutely no problem with wanting there to be another path to breeding, and it's not like it has to completely replace the in-game system, either.

You just like shooting down ideas and hate the possibility of change.

If my idea's so terrible then you propose one that isn't just "Leave things exactly the same way they've been for 17 years."

V-Faction

Sales and expectations are weird things, especially when it comes to Pokemon.

1 - Whether releasing on new hardware as a launch title or releasing on a system saturated in the market at the end of its lifespan, the outcome means different things.

a. For instance, releasing on NX would get Pokemon fans to buy the console... but perhaps others don't give a damn. Thus, a company is worried about not selling as much.

b. However, as we saw with Black/White, releasing on an existing system doesn't mean all owners automatically buy. 150 millions DS's out there, asking for each person to purchase a game just doesn't happen.

2 - So what this comes down to is the audience of Pokemon, which -- while huge -- shifts from system to system and generation to generation. Run the numbers to find how much of those are new fans and how many are continuing players. That's your sales formula.

3 - The ball is in Game Freak's court, which is key. It's not in Nintendo's. I bet GF, like a third-party might, has to look at the next system (NX) from an outside perspective. Who knows if they had been specifically working on the console from its inception behind closed door, or if they were left to fend for themselves on 3DS, n3DS, or Wii U.

If you're a fan, the perfect world is some combination of: NX (releasing this year) + Sun/Moon (releasing this year) + Fully-realized graphics and functionality. But if you're a company, learning a new platform takes a ton of resources. And for a rather smart but careful-with-their-cash group like Game Freak, they might not see the benefit.

Kyzer

Banned
I doubt B team would be given work on a new gen. And assuming every other mainline title is B team then wouldn't it be A teams turn?

X/Y = A team
ORAS = B team
Moon/Sun = A team

Well that's the thing, there is no set teams like that.

It's more like, there's the GameFreak team and they sort of split up for projects but also work together on them. It doesn't alternate perfectly either. Like is there a "C team" for third versions? I wish I was more familiar with the staffs of the games.

Also ORAS director was his first time heading a project iirc from the interviews.

Honestly idk. But I think maybe what if BW2/team got to make a new gen instead of a direct sequel/third version, ORAS Team is now the basic remake team, and theres the main team working on NX , and of course they all move around and work together to finish whatever the current project is

-Silver-

You know, I've always seen Ho-oh and Lugia as a symbol for the Sun and Moon so I'd like to see them involved somehow. Having said that, I hope this doesn't move to a new gen.

Kyzer

Banned
Both XY and ORAS were Team A.

Not really. Masuda was not director

ORAS director was his first time.

Edit!: In fact this game is probably directed by Shigeki Morimoto (HGSS, Emerald) and there will be a sequel by Takao Unno (BW2).

That leaves Masuda to direct Nx game for 2018 and ORAS team to work on DP remakes for 2019.

Researching the staffs of the games now and learning much more about the future of the franchise than I ever did by looking at release timelines.

cory64

Although it seems strange to have a new generation, we actually need around an 80-100 sized addition to keep pace with the average rate of pokedex growth which is already slowed down each generation.

Betty

Banned
Although it seems strange to have a new generation, we actually need around an 80-100 sized addition to keep pace with the average rate of pokedex growth which is already slowed down each generation.

I'd love that, I'm kinda hoping for 100 new pokemon and they don't cheap out by giving us something like 60 and making up the rest with Megas

Not really. Masuda was not director

In fact this game is probably directed by Takao Unno. The director of BW2.

Edit: scratch that, this is probably by Morimoto and there will be a sequel by Unno.

Researching the staffs of the games now and learning much more about the future of the franchise than I ever did by looking at release timelines.
And didn't it start development in 2012?

Just a random theory, but since XY heavily leaned on the nostalgia of Gen 1, what if Pokemon Moon and Sun are going to heavily lean on Gen 2. It will take place in a connected region, possibly Southern Kalos as some have said and feature new Pokemon. But, once you beat the Elite Four you are able to visit a scaled back version of Kalos from XY. This would allow them to address some of the incomplete story questions from XY and allow them to introduce Perfect Zygarde while also starting a new Gen. This is probably all wishful thinking, but would be kinda cool if they did something like this again.

Kinsei

Banned
Just a random theory, but since XY heavily leaned on the nostalgia of Gen 1, what if Pokemon Moon and Sun are going to heavily lean on Gen 2. It will take place in a connected region, possibly Southern Kalos as some have said and feature new Pokemon. But, once you beat the Elite Four you are able to visit a scaled back version of Kalos from XY. This would allow them to address some of the incomplete story questions from XY and allow them to introduce Perfect Zygarde while also starting a new Gen. This is probably all wishful thinking, but would be kinda cool if they did something like this again.

The nostalgia pandering in X/Y is is awful. They need to move away from that instead of doubling down on it.

ffdgh

Well XY did have the kanto birds. Wouldn't be too outlandish to have Ho-oh and Lugia around too at this point lol.

Kyzer

Banned
And didn't it start development in 2012?

That would make sense...

Wow GF has been maturing very stategically

I'm now thinking the reason they pandered gen 1 stuff so hard off the bat in Gen 6 is because they know we won't be seeing RBY remakes again for some time even though it's the 20th Anniv. Either they start remaking gens 1-5 over again in HD with pokebank support and megas on NX before continuing the trend with DP, or they won't be remaking it until after DP and BW remakes.

This is what I'm expecting it to be, preferably without the scaling down.

Atlas157

They don't need to scale it back, they can just use the same assets from X/Y with some changes. Kanto was scaled back in G/S/C because it had to fit in a Gameboy cartridge.

I'd like a better StreetPass function.

Should be able to put some Pokémon in a box and have it auto-trade with passers by. It would be like Wonder Trade, but more personal.
This gives a totally different connotation to contracting the Pokérus "I caught it on the bus to school".

Neoxon

I still find it funny how Game Freak may potentially throw Nintendo under the bus for a second time when it comes to getting new hardware out there & GF leaving their games on an older system. I somewhat get why they stayed on the DS since it was a mega-hit, but the 3DS is nowhere near the DS in sales. I still do believe that they should have just done Z for the 3DS, then move on with Moon/Sun on the NX Platform. But that would be the logical decision.

Granted, I'm sure I'll enjoy Moon/Sun regardless. But if it is indeed Gen 7, then Nintendo's gonna have to make do without a Pokémon game on the NX Platform for about 3 years (a franchise that may hurt the potential growth of the NX Platform in the long-run for not being there early on).

fisheyes

Last minute predictions:

Sun and Moon are Gen 6.5, use the same engine as XY but in a new region, add new Pokemon and Megas to bring the total closer to 800. Post game happens in Kalos, involves Zygarde.

Then, Gen 7 begins properly in a couple of years with Pokemon Dimensional Diamond and Futuristic Pearl, semi DP remakes that lean heavily on time travel segments and teleporting to different regions.

AESplusF

So, with the whole "miji" thing are they just talking about being able trade the Pokemon from all of the other games into Moon&Sun....?

I'm having a hard time understanding this, are you saying that if you can't fly it's not a 3d game? :v

I understand that people might want a free camera and non grid tied movements, but those are not the elements that make a game 3d.

Not exactly that. Maybe I'm showing my age but I associate the difference between 2d and 3d with at least some level of gameplay change. Pokémon doesn't have that. Mario and Zelda are fundamentally different between 2d/3d entries. Metroid other m is far closer to 2d metroid than 3d despite using 3d models for everything and occasionally letting you move in 3d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom