• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Rumble U (April 24th Japan) - First Wii U game to use NFC

JoeM86

Just getting word in that the game is to utilise NFC by collecting figures for 200 Yen at the Pokémon Centers for sale. This will bring certain Pokémon into the game.

The game is also due for release in Japan on April 24th for 1800 Yen

Story wise, the toy Pokémon have been lost from the shop after falling in the river. The task is to get back to the Toy Shop, while facing various bosses such as Chandelure.

Figure-wise, 6 standard figures, as well as 1 special figure, will be for sale on launch day. The figures not only activate the Pokémon, but you can store their battle data on the figures themselves!

~Your friendly neighbourhood Serebii

Kyzer

Banned
Thats cool and stuff but I hope they added some depth to the game. Even if they gave Pokemon 4 moves to use. As it is, it gets very boring. Even for what it is. Pokemon TCG next, plz Nintendo.

TrickRoom

It was closer than we thought. And in retrospect, immensely fitting as well. A game about Pokemon toys that uses NFC from... Pokemon toys.

Kyou

Uh oh.

UH OH.

GR14P.gif

BooJoh

I wonder how they'll handle this in Western territories. I'm not sure how the Rumble games perform here compared to Japan but I'm not sure Nintendo would put much stock in this for a spinoff that so many people seem to consider shallow.

The figures using the actual models from the games are a great aesthetic though. I'd love to get a few of those just for display even.

My main complaint with the series is that they need to make a way for you to level up your favorites once you reach the end of the game, especially since you can find shinies and won't want to replace those.

Tan

Oh, this is how they're justifying this game. The original game was a fun, dumb, cheap game to mess around with but I can't imagine spending $60 on this one. (Nevermind!)

And yeah, I get that they're committed to the aesthetic, but the art on the scans makes me wish they looked like that instead of their weird blocky pseudo-papercraft look.

zroid

Banned
The figure prices seem reasonable, at least

Oh, this is how they're justifying this game. The original game was a fun, dumb, cheap game to mess around with but I can't imagine spending $60 on this one.

This one's an eShop game too. (1800 yen)

BooJoh

Too bad the toys look like the weird polygonal models from the Rumble games. I don't want any of those.

The toys look like papercraft.

Those figures look weeeeeiiiiiiird

The toys are so angular ... why?

Yeah, I can't stand them.

There are plenty of Pokemon figures available that aren't in this style. It would have been a shame if they just looked like old Tomy molds or something lazy like that.

JoeM86

Story wise, the toy Pokémon have been lost from the shop after falling in the river. The task is to get back to the Toy Shop, while facing various bosses such as Chandelure.

Figure-wise, 6 standard figures, as well as 1 special figure, will be for sale on launch day. The figures not only activate the Pokémon, but you can store their battle data on the figures themselves!

Thanks, StreetsAhead!

Darryl

Banned
I wonder how they'll handle this in Western territories. I'm not sure how the Rumble games perform here compared to Japan but I'm not sure Nintendo would put much stock in this for a spinoff that so many people seem to consider shallow.

The figures using the actual models from the games are a great aesthetic though. I'd love to get a few of those just for display even.

My main complaint with the series is that they need to make a way for you to level up your favorites once you reach the end of the game, especially since you can find shinies and won't want to replace those.

either they won't release them, they'll put them in $3 random booster packs, or they'll find a way to multipurpose them

my guess is the booster packs. it won't take up much shelf space.

Starting with 6 regular figures, and one special one. Figures can be trained in-game and then have the data written back to the figures.

Story is that the toys fell in a river and were washed away from their toy shop and are attempting to return. Boss fights included, like Chandelure.

EDIT: Damnit Joe.

Tan

This one's an eShop game too. (1800 yen)

:O huh, I've been in the dark, I guess. I must have just assumed it was a retail game after the 3DS one. Alright, I don't feel so bad about the whole thing.

Next up, TCG? I mean sure, there's a PC version of Pokemon TCG, but still!

God, please. And another pinball game, screw it. I played more pokemon spin-offs as a kid than I did actual pokemon.

The game looks awful. Why did they just reuse models from the Wii game? It will probably have the same exact gameplay too.

With toys I'm sure this will sell like crazy, it's just a shame they aren't going all out on the game.

Top Bottom