• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Rumble U - North American Release (Aug. 29th) - Figures exclusive to Gamestop

JoeM86

The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo announced today the upcoming release of Pokémon Rumble U: a fun-filled action game, with intuitive controls, and wild battles.Pokémon Rumble U, the first Pokémon game exclusively for the Wii U system and the first Wii U title to feature Near Field Communication (NFC) figures, will be available in North America via Nintendo eShop on August 29th, 2013.

Pokémon Rumble U is the tale of a great adventure featuring Toy Pokémon, beginning when a delivery of Toy Pokémon is swept down a river and washes up on a strange riverbank. Our bewildered Pokémon heroes set out to find their way back to the Toy Pokémon Shop. Along the way they discover all is not right. Players will learn why some of the Toy Pokémon are fighting each other, and what the enemy Pokémon are plotting.

Featuring all 649 Pokémon through Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2, and with hundreds of moves to master, Pokémon Rumble U will provide hours of entertainment for new and old Pokémon fans alike.

Pickup and play controls will allow players to jump in and play solo, or with friends, as they accompany your Pokémon heroes on their quest to return to the Pokémon Toy Shop. They will pass through a variety of fun-filled locations, like Sparkly Playland, Mysterious Forest, and Blue Sky Park.

In Pokémon Rumble U, the more Pokémon you defeat, the more Pokémon you can befriend. Different types of Pokémon have different strengths and weaknesses, so players will have to think of which Pokémon would be best in battle.

Other surprises and pickups will crop up along the way—which will help strengthen the team, restore health, or cause damage to the opponents. Pikachu and friends will encounter giant Bosses, and players can even use the Wii U GamePad controller to set off Touch Blasts when faced with many Pokémon in battle at once!

Up to four players can enjoy multiplayer battles featuring cooperative play to defeat the strongest enemies with team work or friendly competitions to see who can defeat and befriend the most Pokémon at one time. One controller needed per player.

Pokémon Rumble U NFC Figures, based on the Toy Pokémon featured in the game, will be available to link up with Pokémon Rumble U via the Wii U GamePad. Sold exclusively at participating GameStop retail stores starting August 29th, the Pokémon that show up in Pokémon Rumble U by using an NFC Figure can grow stronger by using Coins that you receive in game. Players can even change moves or add a Special Trait to their NFC Figure so it can be one of their most dependable allies in the game. The NFC Figure can even save in-game data so you can take it wherever you go. A random assortment of eighteen Pokémon Rumble U NFC Figures, including Pikachu, Victini, Deoxys (Normal Forme), Eevee, and Genesect, will be available at GameStop for a suggested retail price of $3.99 each. Pokémon Rumble U NFC Figures are optional and are sold separately packed in a concealed capsule.
Well, that's the figures sorted

JoeM86

Interestingly, there's a difference in localisation

The Touch Bomb feature is called that in Japan and Europe, but is called Touch Blast in North America

zroid

Banned
Pretty surprising they wouldn't at least bring Toys R Us in on this, but I guess GameStop was desperate for dat exclusivity. Well, I'm OK with it, I guess.

Might buy the toys but skip the game, lol.

Is this a starting trend with gamestop and Nintendo doing exclusives?

First(from what I noticed), Pikmin 3 demo with a digital day early download preorder exclusive. Now this.

If so, what can this mean? Does gamestop know things about the x1 and ps4 that we don't know yet?

I'm probably just thinking into it too much...

Tripon

This should probably be a free to play game with Nintendo heavily pushing toy sales. Still, it'll make money.

JoeM86

So when is it coming out in Europe?

August 15th

Are there 649 different figures?

I will pay a lot of money to obtain an Arcanine and Ampharos if so.

Nope, 18 of them. Only six are confirmed, but they seem to just be the same as the 18 in Japan

Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Torchic, Piplup, Lucario, Victini, Eevee, Mewtwo, Croagunk, Zoroark, Litwick, Genesect, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai and Shaymin

This actually sounds like a really bad game...

I only played the demo of the original WiiWare original game, but I liked it (not well enough to buy it I guess)

Nope, 18 of them. Only six are confirmed, but they seem to just be the same as the 18 in Japan

Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Torchic, Piplup, Lucario, Victini, Eevee, Mewtwo, Croagunk, Zoroark, Litwick, Genesect, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai and Shaymin

Oh, no interest then :(

Tripon

August 15th

Of course, nothing is stopping Nintendo from making more.

Theorymon

Is this still being made by Ambrella? I swear those guys make by far the worst Pokémon spin offs. The only one I sorta liked was Hey You Pikachu, and that's because it's so terrible its fucking hilarious!

JoeM86

Is this still being made by Ambrella? I swear those guys make by far the worst Pokémon spin offs. The only one I sorta liked was Hey You Pikachu, and that's because it's so terrible its fucking hilarious!

Yes, it's developed by Ambrella
18 characters. $4 each. $72. That's pretty up there. How much is the game itself? My kid would really dig this.

That hasn't been given yet, but in Japan it was 1800 so I'd wager $18
How long ago was the last set? They could be waiting to see how it does overseas before producing more sets.

They've been releasing them monthly

Tripon

I think this is pretty much an experiment to see how the market reacts to the whole NFC thing, before they role out a major NFC Pokemon game later.

I think if you're going to pick an exclusive partner, Gamestop is the best bet. Say what you want about them, but they generally have the best informed employees, and their stores aren't massive warehouses where its easy to lose and misplace stuff.

bon

August 15th

Oh, 18 isn't so bad. I was afraid there'd be way too many. I could see myself collecting these...

Congrats Nintendo, you figured out a way to get me to buy Pokémon toys again.

$72 for all the figures but they are sorted and packed blind so you'll have doubles raising the price dramatically if you want the collection?

crap.

Robin64

$72 for all the figures but they are sorted and packed blind so you'll have doubles raising the price dramatically if you want the collection?

crap.

PLUS we'll probably have the secret super-rare shiny ones, too. Pikachu, Eeve and Genesect.

Guess we better be prepared to dive on to eBay if we want a full set.

sakipon

I loved Rumble on 3DS. It were one of the most fun games of its year. Even though it were objectively repetitive.

I also liked the game and still play it every now and then. But I also enjoy games like Dynasty Warriors, so repetitiveness doesn't seem to be an obstacle for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So do the figures do anything?

E: I read the OP, but it sounds like only the Pokemon with figures will get stronger? So if I don't like one of those 18, I get the shaft?

PLUS we'll probably have the secret super-rare shiny ones, too. Pikachu, Eeve and Genesect.

Guess we better be prepared to dive on to eBay if we want a full set.

this is going to suck bad... I think gamestop truly did pay for the exclusive and this 18 is just a test if they see they are selling Nintendo will just release a whole bunch more

700 at $4 in blind boxes?

Tripon

Update: The Pokemon Company announced Pokemon Rumble U is coming to North America on August 29, with 18 figurines sold exclusively at GameStop stores. The game, available via the eShop, is priced $18, while each individual figure goes at $4.

From Joystiq

Robin64

I read the OP, but it sounds like only the Pokemon with figures will get stronger? So if I don't like one of those 18, I get the shaft?

Nah, the game is completely doable without the figures. Generally you'll be getting stronger Pokemon as the game progresses, so you'll be doing a lot of switching.

But when you use a figure, you'll probably be attached to that Pokemon a bit more, so you need a way to take it through the game with you.

The price for the game isn't bad.

Haha, random draw figures. That'll be fun.

Probably wouldn't mind picking some up though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nah, the game is completely doable without the figures. Generally you'll be getting stronger Pokemon as the game progresses, so you'll be doing a lot of switching.

But when you use a figure, you'll probably be attached to that Pokemon a bit more, so you need a way to take it through the game with you.

OK - so I can just play the game the same way I did on Wii and my 3DS and be content.

I am OK with this. :)

Tripon

if they come 1 inside a capsule for $4 I can see kids just sitting at Gamestop paying for them and opening them and trading with other buyers on the spot that would work

the game needs to be cheaper since the money is in the toys

Yeah, I agree. It probably should be free to play or at least a low price.

Top Bottom